• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

My Godzilla: Resurgence review

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I actually finally saw this movie months ago, but didn't get around to a review.
So the good? The creature effects are amazing, the film makes good use of green screen, suit acting, with a little bit of cg, to bring their version of Godzilla to life. As much as the effects in the 2014 reboot were great, it's just not always the same as something actually being there infront of the camera.
The film keeps the spirit of the original 54 film, in a way, that's even closer compared to the 2014 film, by having Godzilla be alone, rather then fighting another monster, and being the direct threat.
Now the bad, well as much as I defended the 2014 reboot for it's slow pace. This movie does have it's boring moments, there's a lot of sitting in a room and talking in this film. I think the difference for me was the fact the 2014 film, actually had characters that we're introduced too, right there during the main monster scenes, as opposed to nameless masses.
Also, for me, this version of Godzilla was a bit hit and miss. On one hand, he does some pretty cool s#!t (Wont say here, in-case of spoilers). But I feel he didn't have much character. The 1954 film, the creature was angry at mankind for the atomic bomb that mutated it, and was actively destroying cities. The 2014 version was an alpha predator, hunting after the MUTOs, who even had motivation, they were trying to reproduce. This Godzilla, really only actively attacks in self-defense, and for the most part, isn't actively attacking, just mindlessly walking through buildings. Heck even the 98 version had the motivation that it was nesting. Speaking of that abomination, again wont say directly cause spoilers. But this new Godzilla has something in-common with the 98 version, it was a a plot point in the 98 movie. You'll know when you hear it.
I'm also really mixed on the design, on the other hand. I do know what they were aiming for, make Godzilla as scary as possible. But I dunno, I think they over did it with the zombie look.
Overall, am glad that I saw it, wouldn't call it the best Godzilla movie, doesn't make my top 5. But is no where near being bad.
EDIT: And this is why you shouldn't wait months to do a review, cause now I remember, yes, the main character, who's name I can't recall, was present during the main attack, and at the end when they (spoiler) froze Godzilla. Still stand by the rest of what I said though
3.5/5

Oh and before I forget

tumblr_n5qbfi2LEL1qgsgxro3_500.gif

tumblr_ogrszciWTR1s2jfn0o6_500.gif

2020 Let Them Fight

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
One thing. I don't think that the original Godzilla was angry at mankind for creating it. The film is a warning of the dangers of nuclear weapons and one of those dangers was that one of those nuclear tests awoke something in the depths of the ocean, something indestructible. The whole created by the hand of man concept didn't actually appear till the 98 film. I could be wrong, I'm no Godzilla historian, but I am a bit of an amateur film historian.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
One thing. I don't think that the original Godzilla was angry at mankind for creating it. The film is a warning of the dangers of nuclear weapons and one of those dangers was that one of those nuclear tests awoke something in the depths of the ocean, something indestructible. The whole created by the hand of man concept didn't actually appear till the 98 film. I could be wrong, I'm no Godzilla historian, but I am a bit of an amateur film historian.
You're both right and wrong in this comment. In the original film, Godzilla was hypothesized to be a per-historic creature, the atomic bomb awakened and mutated.
The bomb destroyed his natural habitat, and burned him (Godzilla's skin texture is actually based on kelod scares, shown on survivors of Hiroshima, suggesting the bomb actually did harm him). Godzilla was meant to symbolize nature, and how nuclear testing harmed the planet, and he was nature striking back to punish mankind.
EDIT: I hope this was helpful

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
I suppose.

My interests in Godzilla are passing. I like it but I'm not a huge fan. I know the story and I've seen a few of the bad films and most of the quintessential. There are so many interpretations as to the cultural significance of Gojira in Japanese popular myth it's hard to keep track, specially when your interest is just a passing one. Japan has the most unique perspective of the nuclear bomb and their culture has been inpated notably. Godzilla is an illusion of Mt. Fuji, and it being a symbol of power and destruction is a direct correlation to the times, when Japan was recovering from the war, which was still very fresh in their minds. That's as far as I go with Godzilla, a basic understanding of the cultural significance and a few films on my belt.

Personally, my two cents on the film: This new Godzilla is a response to 2014's film. Japan wanted to produce a film that was both more like what they want and how they see this one icon of theirs. The issue is that the film doesn't carry the same weight as that first film did, there isn't something as heavy as Hiroshima or Nagasaki to put such a historic importance to it, and it never will, god willing, and that might not be a bad thing, just a fact of the matter. Visually it's a good time, and there is no denying nobody does destruction like the Japanese, but the film, for all the weight it carried and how well it does it, as well as it told its story, as great as the action was, ultimately felt like an extended episode of Evangelion. It followed a similar formula and even some of the visuals reminded me of it. Hideaki Anno is an accomplished action/sci fi directors and he even made one of my favorite dramas of all time, he knows how to tell a story about creatures and the extraordinary science behind them plus how to beat them with modern tools, which is a great fit for the movies, but there is just too much of his previous works to not go unnoticed. There are also some parts that will go nameless that made me go 'Oh, my god, stop talking, that's not how people talk.' I still think it's a bloody awesome spectacle; unnerving, gruesome, grandiose in its scale and wanton destruction. A flawed but good time.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I do enjoy a good Kaiju film, but I must confess that I really haven't seen any non-American Godzilla films. :nailbiting:

But I do find the concept of Gojira/Gozira and how it became a pop icon fascinating. I really must track down the original film one day.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I do enjoy a good Kaiju film, but I must confess that I really haven't seen any non-American Godzilla films. :nailbiting:

But I do find the concept of Gojira/Gozira and how it became a pop icon fascinating. I really must track down the original film one day.
If you don't mind having to read, recommend the original Japanese dub. The Americanized dub isn't bad. But a bit harder to take seriously with the voices and imo some awkward edits. Plust it incorrectly says Godzilla is 400 feet tall, when he's actually 50 meters (or 164 feet), fyi even Shin Godzilla, the biggest yet, is just under 390 feet. I think they were trying to top Legendary Godzilla, the previous record holder. Who's over to 350 feet

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
If you don't mind having to read, recommend the original Japanese dub. The Americanized dub isn't bad. But a bit harder to take seriously with the voices and imo some awkward edits. Plust it incorrectly says Godzilla is 400 feet tall, when he's actually 50 meters (or 164 feet), fyi even Shin Godzilla, the biggest yet, is just under 390 feet. I think they were trying to top Legendary Godzilla, the previous record holder. Who's over to 350 feet
I'm fluent in Japanese so I have no problem with a JPN dub. I especially don't like it when American dubs unnecessarily change things. :bored:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
@Izzy You understand Japanese?! :eek: C...C...Can I hug you? :cautious:

I thought Shin Godzilla looked bad. For me their were many instances of the CGI looking fake. Whenever Shin was shown marching through the city he looked jerky. It was vary jarring.
His unblinking eyes were distracting too. (A problem past Godzilla's also suffered at times) Way to many characters to care for and Shin had zero character. Just a lumbering, robotic, boring monster. Now I watched the film with no subs so maybe a subbed viewing would help?

Top Bottom