• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Movies That Blew Your Mind

♥Vergil's Girl♥

In the arms of dark love
Avatar the effects and story are awesome!It took them so long to make it and they went through so many hardships before it was fully released and adored by the world.

Ms.Reaper

The Watchmen....i read the graphic novel later after watching the movie. It's pretty deep on a social/psychological way. Looking at how Alan Moore wrote it around the Vietnam war and expressing the fears and paranoia can really be related to the world crisis and social ideologies now.

It was brilliant. ^_^

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
the snowman. so many sad movies these days feel the need to employ A-list actors and brutality to evoke a sad response. this ones 30 minutes long, has zero dialogue, and tapped my emotions better than.... probably any film ever made.

hang the film snobs and their love for complexity (though i'm one of them, most of the time).

Osaka

trollololol
The Usual Suspects
Se7en
The Matrix
Inception
The Lady Vanishes
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Titanic (at the time it came out)
Die Hard
Plup Fiction
Alien
Spirited Away
All About Eve
Pan's Labyrinth

There's so many great films out there this list doesn't even scratch the surface.

terrence069

"American Beauty" and "Beautiful Dreamers" and last but not the least "The Last Mimzy" are Movies That Blew my Mind ...

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Ms.Reaper;293868 said:
The Watchmen....i read the graphic novel later after watching the movie. It's pretty deep on a social/psychological way. Looking at how Alan Moore wrote it around the Vietnam war and expressing the fears and paranoia can really be related to the world crisis and social ideologies now.

It was brilliant. ^_^

I really like the graphic novel of Watchmen, I can't fault it at all for its character development and ability to tell a complex story effortlessly. The multiple-thread writing and the way the artist depicts events so clearly without ever using swoosh lines or sound effects is amazing.

But the movie was awful I thought. It never could live up to the novel, which is so complicated and convoluted - it would take a 12 part series of movie-length episodes to do that. I heard Moore himself said that he wanted that graphic novel to be 'unfilmable' - to show that graphic novels can be superior to films and tell stories in a way that films never can. The movie is more like a music video to me than a movie of Watchmen; I can only imagine that if I had not read the novel years before the film came out, the movie would have seemed to me completely overhyped and almost nonesensical. Where is the unbearable tension from imminent nuclear war in the film that permeates the book? Where is the real chemistry between the characters in the film, and Rorschach's 'birth' when he murders in cold blood for the first time? The poignant metaphors the book uses just can't be done in the film (even though I heard they made or were going to make a side-film of the story of the desperate castaway that features parallel to the main storyline in the book - what's the point, when it belongs with the parallel story and means nothing on its own?)

The film felt so impotent next to the novel, and I totally expected it would be, becuase that novel is too complex for an average-length movie to tackle. It was always going to be pretty but empty, more of a visual companion to the book than anything of the same standard.

♥Vergil's Girl♥

In the arms of dark love
FF7:Advent Children it looked real! O.O I was like their getting so good with these computer graphics and it's gotten even better.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
a bit of a necropost, but i felt like this thread needed mention of (500) Days of Summer.
despite being a Rom-Com, it's the first project of an awesome director and has been shown in film schools for it's "Expectations Vs. Reality" scene where you watch two versions of the same scene play out simultaneously (for extremely powerful effect). it won numerous awards for its directing and editing, and was put on several "top 10 of the year" lists. furthermore, the first-time director (Marc Webb) was chosen to direct the Spiderman reboot. If you wanna see a bit of his style in preparation, this is the only earthly place you have to look.

most importantly, the reason it deserves mention, is that it has the most uncanny ability to make any guy (even the neanderthals) relate to it. very difficult to watch at parts, but it's kind of scary how powerful of an effect it has on the male audience for a romantic comedy. i can't speak for the female viewing audience (it is told from a male perspective) but i'd imagine anyone should be able to enjoy it unless you have absolutely no tolerance for this sort of movie.

Mr Anderson

gun slinging sword master
Hall Pass (for its hilarity)
The Matrix (no explanation needed there)
LoTR (all three of them)
War Games
Ferris Bueler's Day off (I put war games but ferris deserves it too ahh mathew broderick funny guy)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I always say Leon (The Professional) is my all-time favourite film, but you know what? I think it may just be District 9.

Demon619

Deadman walking
District 9, I went into that movie not expecting much and came out....well the thread's name explains that for me.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
I just watched Paprika yesterday and it instantly made my top movie of all time list... just behind the Hayao Miyazaki stuff. I instantly ordered it on DVD, and recommend it to everyone who cringes at the sight of anime or likes being a boring shell of a human being.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
I just watched Paprika yesterday and it instantly made my top movie of all time list... just behind the Hayao Miyazaki stuff. I instantly ordered it on DVD, and recommend it to everyone who cringes at the sight of anime or likes being a boring shell of a human being.
again, I AM STILL NOT ABLE TO EDIT MY POSTS
HERE IS A REVISION IN ALL CAPS....... STAFF

I JUST WATCHED PAPRIKA YESTERDAY AND IT INSTANTLY MADE MY TOP MOVIE OF ALL TIME LIST... JUST BEHIND THE HAYAO MIYAZAKI STUFF. I INSTANTLY ORDERED IT ON DVD AND RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE EXCEPT THOSE WHO CRINGE AT THE SIGHT OF ANIME OR LIKE BEING A BORING SHELL OF A HUMAN BEING.
...........STAFF

Top Bottom