• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Mortal Kombat

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Love it. It's gonna be cheesy as hell. Sad about no Johnny Cage, but the theories on Cole Young being Johnny without his stage name, or even Kuai Liang, are equally valid.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
7/10

Needs more Chun-Li. :sneaky:
where can i see this? seeing this too on youtube comments

Love it. It's gonna be cheesy as hell. Sad about no Johnny Cage, but the theories on Cole Young being Johnny without his stage name, or even Kuai Liang, are equally valid.
Cole Young as Kuai Liang makes so much sense. I used to assume Cole as Shao Kahn for no reason at all.

The director knows the source material

Lol. You saw that trash, eh? lol :sneaky:

But the film looks A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

I have HBO Max ready, so this shouldn't be a problem. I have a 70 inch TV, God this is going to AWESOME!
good golly, how many inches? yes.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
just saw the article myself, don't know if it's joking or not..
Whatever you do, just assume its a joke, 'cause if she sees you saying that on Twitter or somethin' she's gonna get triggered. lol

Honestly, I think she was being serious... I mean we're living in the left's world at this point.

Im just gonna laugh my ass off.

absolitude

It's sad because it's true. The 1995 version may be old and have the jankiness of the times, but it was more enjoyable, Techno Syndrome and everything.
exactly, that's what i kept thinking, how can they not do better than the 1995 version with more resources and tech? I can't believe the original was still the better one, they have the blue print to learn and improve from ffs..

And did Shang tsung just walked with his feet all the way from wherever with dirt and dust to get to Raiden's temple?

And... why is that...?

Why are you agreeing with him?

It's soulles, not majestic, it left nothing after watching.

Lewis Tan is not a good choice for a lead and as a character that wasn't needed. He just doesn't work for me.

The fights were underwhelming, and the score was underwhelming, not once did i feel pumped up.

none of the character had enough presence or given the material to let me attached or care, the chemistry isn't there.

Kano was confusing, the actor has this sympathetic look, and i can't hate him, dunno if they meant him as a comedic relief.

Liu Kang was gentle and beautiful, as in ..beautiful, but man, those ripped body.

Sure, visually it's cool, and i like most of the cast choices and how they look.

Sub Zero was the coolest part of the movie for some parts cuz he had enough presence to leave a taste, but as the story goes, he's forgettable.

Sonya Blade was the best part of the movie imo, her acting was natural and i understood her motives and purpose.

The way i see it, this would work alot better if they continue as a series on hbo max, definitely would work a lot better.

I'm not hating, i'm just saying they could've done better, maybe the covid situation had a hand in this.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
exactly, that's what i kept thinking, how can they not do better than the 1995 version with more resources and tech? I can't believe the original was still the better one, they have the blue print to learn and improve from ffs.
That and Paul W.S. Anderson directed the 1995 version. Yeah. Same dude as the Resident Evil movies. And the 1995 version had at least one opinion piece on how it "broke the Video Game Movie Curse" while this one gets Fatality'd by it.

And did Shang tsung just walked with his feet all the way from wherever with dirt and dust to get to Raiden's temple?
.... I didn't even pay attention and just assumed he made smoke portals into anywhere he wanted, with the scene of him walking around in Outworld shot for dramatic effect. Pretty sure he'd have to make a portal. Outworld and Earthrealm aren't contiguous landmasses. Then again, this movie added Arcana as a plot device so I wouldn't be surprise if they did plug Outworld into being a part of Earthrealm.

Lewis Tan is not a good choice for a lead and as a character that wasn't needed. He just doesn't work for me.
Lewis Tan is an otherwise good actor, but Liu Kang was right there if they needed an Asian protagonist to headline the movie.

The fights were underwhelming, and the score was underwhelming, not once did i feel pumped up.
Also, so many cuts in the fight. At one point they cut a shot where Sonya tried to hit Mileena and missed, just to sell it as a direct hit.

Kano was confusing, the actor has this sympathetic look, and i can't hate him, dunno if they meant him as a comedic relief.
On a scale from 1 to 10, how close do you think he looked to Robin Williams, if you saw that at all? IDK. He kinda looked like the dude. Sympathetic, comedic, but raunchy sense of humor fits the bill.

Sub Zero was the coolest part of the movie
Yeah, I'd hope so! lmao, you're right though. And agreed on Sonya. It was perfect casting, and her not having the Mark made her an underdog and easy to root for. They did her a little dirty by putting her in a trailer home with no resources like a conspiracy nut. Jax is her commanding officer, so he just... lets her live like that? Or is that some sanctioned op that Special Forces is pretending they don't care about?

I'm not hating, i'm just saying they could've done better, maybe the covid situation had a hand in this.
The screenwriter for WW84 was on this one. Not sure if that matters. /sips drink

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
exactly, that's what i kept thinking, how can they not do better than the 1995 version with more resources and tech? I can't believe the original was still the better one, they have the blue print to learn and improve from ffs..
I agree the 1995 film was great, but I went into 2021 MK expecting to for it to suck... but I went in with an open mind and was pleasantly surprised. It's not as good as 1995 MK, but its not worse than MK Anhilation.
Uhm... He's always done similar since MK2. I don't even know what you were expecting...?
It's soulles, not majestic, it left nothing after watching.
What's soulless? What's majestic about 1995 MK? I don't think there's presence in 1995 MK, but there was nothing "soulful" or "majestic" about 1995 MK, besides Shang Tsung holding a Mortal Kombat tournament or how "majestic" Raiden seems in Mortal Kombat 1995. My only issue about MK 2021 is Raiden and his lack of presence. Not soulless, just not enough presence, that pizazz.
That's just you not understanding that Cole Young is a new character. My only issue with him is the story cannon - I'm sorry I'm having a hard time believing that is SCORPION's son or that is SCORPION's daughter, either.
Then say that. I agree that some fights are underwhelming, and the music doesn't have that same intensity as 1995 MK.
none of the character had enough presence or given the material to let me attached or care, the chemistry isn't there.
I'm sorry, what? Besides Cole Young, Raiden, and Shang Tsung - I'm sorry... literally.. What!? Kung Lao was Siiiiiiick. The actor portrayed Kung Lao was PERFECT. Liu Kang wasn't perfect, but the guy who played Liu Kang had a really good physique to play the part, especially during practice. He won't replace Liu Kang 1995, but he played the part nicely. Sonya is BEAUTIFUL. I'd hit it if I had a chance. ;) Jax? Not perfect but still passable as a character.
Kano looked fine. I don't know what you were looking for. Kano is literally the spotlight of the whole movie. Just a little hint: People are going to hate you if you have this opinion. So unless you want controversy. I'd watch my mouth.

I don't think they intended for him to be funny, but a genuine kind of "accident" comedic relief. 1995 MK was always cheesy/comedic, but Kano stole the show.
Liu Kang was gentle and beautiful, as in ..beautiful, but man, those ripped body.
See, here you agree with me.
Sure, visually it's cool, and i like most of the cast choices and how they look.
Uh huh. Contradictory.
Sub Zero was the coolest part of the movie for some parts cuz he had enough presence to leave a taste, but as the story goes, he's forgettable.
What. Forgettable? He's literally the bad guy in here. SCORPION is usually the bad guy.... <gives a confused look, followed by a wry laugh and walks away> Unbelievable - Forgettable.
Sonya Blade was the best part of the movie imo, her acting was natural and i understood her motives and purpose.
Yup, so then you agree with me.
The way i see it, this would work alot better if they continue as a series on hbo max, definitely would work a lot better.
Get this: The Sub-Zero actor? Contract is 4 sequels (prequel or spin-offs, is in question, but... yeah 4 new films.)
Sounded like you were hating.
That and Paul W.S. Anderson directed the 1995 version. Yeah. Same dude as the Resident Evil movies. And the 1995 version had at least one opinion piece on how it "broke the Video Game Movie Curse" while this one gets Fatality'd by it.
I already addressed this earlier, so I won't repeat.
.... I didn't even pay attention and just assumed he made smoke portals into anywhere he wanted, with the scene of him walking around in Outworld shot for dramatic effect. Pretty sure he'd have to make a portal. Outworld and Earthrealm aren't contiguous landmasses. Then again, this movie added Arcana as a plot device so I wouldn't be surprise if they did plug Outworld into being a part of Earthrealm.
The arcana thing was a little odd, but I understand it. The film was trying to be realistic while not taking itself seriously. However this "oversight" of portal isn't a necessary criticism - since Mortal Kombat II, they've explored the portals device. I think the smoking portal was designed to detonate that its a bad guy coming onto the screen. However, I would've saved it for smoke, noob saibot or other smoky characters. I would've just used a green death-like portals.
Lewis Tan is an otherwise good actor, but Liu Kang was right there if they needed an Asian protagonist to headline the movie.
Yeah.
Also, so many cuts in the fight. At one point they cut a shot where Sonya tried to hit Mileena and missed, just to sell it as a direct hit.
That is a bit understandable. To save time and keep the film MA-13.
On a scale from 1 to 10, how close do you think he looked to Robin Williams, if you saw that at all? IDK. He kinda looked like the dude. Sympathetic, comedic, but raunchy sense of humor fits the bill.
Yeah, I'd hope so! lmao, you're right though. And agreed on Sonya. It was perfect casting, and her not having the Mark made her an underdog and easy to root for. They did her a little dirty by putting her in a trailer home with no resources like a conspiracy nut. Jax is her commanding officer, so he just... lets her live like that? Or is that some sanctioned op that Special Forces is pretending they don't care about?
I think that the trailer was a cover for their operation. Kinda like Fox's secret location in The Dark Knight Rises.
The screenwriter for WW84 was on this one. Not sure if that matters. /sips drink
I read something similar, like the dude was ****ed off to the point of trying to screw with Mortal Kombat 2021.

Cast someone else for that role please.

Last edited:

absolitude

I agree the 1995 film was great, but I went into 2021 MK expecting to for it to suck... but I went in with an open mind and was pleasantly surprised. It's not as good as 1995 MK, but its not worse than MK Anhilation.

Uhm... He's always done similar since MK2. I don't even know what you were expecting...?

What's soulless? What's majestic about 1995 MK? I don't think there's presence in 1995 MK, but there was nothing "soulful" or "majestic" about 1995 MK, besides Shang Tsung holding a Mortal Kombat tournament or how "majestic" Raiden seems in Mortal Kombat 1995. My only issue about MK 2021 is Raiden and his lack of presence. Not soulless, just not enough presence, that pizazz.

That's just you not understanding that Cole Young is a new character. My only issue with him is the story cannon - I'm sorry I'm having a hard time believing that is SCORPION's son or that is SCORPION's daughter, either.

Then say that. I agree that some fights are underwhelming, and the music doesn't have that same intensity as 1995 MK.

I'm sorry, what? Besides Cole Young, Raiden, and Shang Tsung - I'm sorry... literally.. What!? Kung Lao was Siiiiiiick. The actor portrayed Kung Lao was PERFECT. Liu Kang wasn't perfect, but the guy who played Liu Kang had a really good physique to play the part, especially during practice. He won't replace Liu Kang 1995, but he played the part nicely. Sonya is BEAUTIFUL. I'd hit it if I had a chance. ;) Jax? Not perfect but still passable as a character.

Kano looked fine. I don't know what you were looking for. Kano is literally the spotlight of the whole movie. Just a little hint: People are going to hate you if you have this opinion. So unless you want controversy. I'd watch my mouth.

I don't think they intended for him to be funny, but a genuine kind of "accident" comedic relief. 1995 MK was always cheesy/comedic, but Kano stole the show.

See, here you agree with me.

Uh huh. Contradictory.

What. Forgettable? He's literally the bad guy in here. SCORPION is usually the bad guy.... <gives a confused look, followed by a wry laugh and walks away> Unbelievable - Forgettable.

Yup, so then you agree with me.

Get this: The Sub-Zero actor? Contract is 4 sequels (prequel or spin-offs, is in question, but... yeah 4 new films.)

Sounded like you were hating.

I already addressed this earlier, so I won't repeat.

The arcana thing was a little odd, but I understand it. The film was trying to be realistic while not taking itself seriously. However this "oversight" of portal isn't a necessary criticism - since Mortal Kombat II, they've explored the portals device. I think the smoking portal was designed to detonate that its a bad guy coming onto the screen. However, I would've saved it for smoke, noob saibot or other smoky characters. I would've just used a green death-like portals.

Yeah.

That is a bit understandable. To save time and keep the film MA-13.

I think that the trailer was a cover for their operation. Kinda like Fox's secret location in The Dark Knight Rises.

I read something similar, like the dude was ****ed off to the point of trying to screw with Mortal Kombat 2021.

Cast someone else for that role please.
Wow, lol, my guy, you sounded so full of yourself, good luck with that..

But yeah, sure, enjoy it if you enjoy it. For me it should've been better, and actually could've been better than the 1995 version.

Now that you've mentioned it, he kinda is similar to Williams especially on the eyes, this explains why he's more loveable than annoying for me. i sympathized him for most parts.

Lol, a conspiracy nut, yeah, i can see that..

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Wow, lol, my guy, you sounded so full of yourself, good luck with that..
I could say the same about YOU. You spent an entire post, pretending to hate on something. Kinda like a Twitter bot.
But yeah, sure, enjoy it if you enjoy it. For me it should've been better, and actually could've been better than the 1995 version.
I enjoyed it for what it is. I didn't even try to compare it to 1995. Yeah, it could've been better, but it's not as bad as YOU made it out to be.

Then you made this comment...
Now that you've mentioned it, he kinda is similar to Williams especially on the eyes, this explains why he's more loveable than annoying for me. i sympathized him for most parts.

I'm thinking you're trying too hard to be likable.

He looks nothing like Robin Williams besides his skull shape.

A lot of people like/love this version of Kano because he's perfect for the role, in addition to the comedic relief bits. So, again: Keep this in mind when you're talking to people, commenting on youtube videos, or any comments section or another forum.

Or suffer the hate. I'm serious, dude.

But you called me full of myself? You know what, when you're out there having these opinions, and whatnot. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
IMO, for the times we're living in, movies need to be more than just "okay" to justify 1) their price tags, 2) going into the theaters at all to share the experience with a bunch of total strangers. I watched this thing at home so I didn't have to deal with either of that, but there needs to be more put into movies if they're going to have people spend their money and time on it. Not just spectacle and marketing to put the spectacle front and center to attract people to pay money to justify the budget on the spectacle, they need to work on the story. Not making the story cohesive is where we'll end up with "[X movie] flopped with biggest second-week drop off" something something after the initial novelty of watching it at all wears off, and people only watching the movie to skip to the fight scenes.

How did monks find armless-Jax and take him to their temple? Couldn't they have found Kano, Cole, and Sonya the same way?
Where did they get the materials to give him his baby metal arms?
Where was Liu Kang coming from when he found the other travelers?
Raiden can teleport his crew into a Void at any time but didn't save Kung Lao?
"Death is just another portal" okay, so they can travel to another realm and find Kung Lao, right?
Never mind how Scorpion learned English in Hell apparently, the start of the movie was Bi-Han saying something in Chinese, Hanzo saying "I don't understand a word you just said" in Japanese, they duel, and then Bi-Han says "For the Lin Kuei," in English. In the 1800s? That's nice and all dude, but Hanzo still doesn't know what you said.
Kano and Kabal have some history going on, except for when Kabal exposits for five minutes in front of Kano, then the drama is gone and Kano joins the bad guy side. Friendship! Again!?
So, Shang Tsung is technically cheating by going after fighters and killing them before the tournament begins. So the solution is... to kill all of his fighters before the tournament begins! Genius!
Oh wait, this is actually a serious offense that might require the Elder Gods to intervene, but Shang Tsung says he can handle them, and they're not seen actually intervening. Why mention the Elder Gods at all, then? Did anyone writing this movie play MK9 and remember that the Elder Gods descended to block Shao Kahn out of merging realms because he hadn't officially won and then obliterated him for the offense? Yeah. That's the thing that should be happening to Shang Tsung. But I guess they're lazy. Okay.
How do you introduce Mileena without Kitana? Where's Sindel? Where's Shao Khan outside of the easter egg in Raiden's temple?
Why did we get a Mortal Kombat movie without the tournament that the movie is titled after? This entire movie is a set-up to the tournament? WB has taken the literal wrong lessons from the MCU. But that goes without saying.

People might not find these things important enough to answer or fix. Sure. But it's the difference between a movie and just watching a Youtube playlist of highlights. Entirely disconnected scenes, just moment to moment. Is there anything in this movie that fans wouldn't be served watching Mortal Kombat: Rebirth and Mortal Kombat: Legacy? Or MK Legends: Scorpion's Revenge? Because those are better received by viewers without blowing their load on ice effect CGI.
Ayyyy the actor already knows!

Here's a side-by-side:

50033_50692.jpg
R999423142ba5a7c6c9b43bc3970c9a7e

charlie-kelly.jpg

The resemblance is uncanny.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
IMO, for the times we're living in, movies need to be more than just "okay" to justify 1) their price tags, 2) going into the theaters at all to share the experience with a bunch of total strangers. I watched this thing at home so I didn't have to deal with either of that, but there needs to be more put into movies if they're going to have people spend their money and time on it. Not just spectacle and marketing to put the spectacle front and center to attract people to pay money to justify the budget on the spectacle, they need to work on the story. Not making the story cohesive is where we'll end up with "[X movie] flopped with biggest second-week drop off" something something after the initial novelty of watching it at all wears off, and people only watching the movie to skip to the fight scenes.

How did monks find armless-Jax and take him to their temple? Couldn't they have found Kano, Cole, and Sonya the same way?
Where did they get the materials to give him his baby metal arms?
Where was Liu Kang coming from when he found the other travelers?
Raiden can teleport his crew into a Void at any time but didn't save Kung Lao?
"Death is just another portal" okay, so they can travel to another realm and find Kung Lao, right?
Never mind how Scorpion learned English in Hell apparently, the start of the movie was Bi-Han saying something in Chinese, Hanzo saying "I don't understand a word you just said" in Japanese, they duel, and then Bi-Han says "For the Lin Kuei," in English. In the 1800s? That's nice and all dude, but Hanzo still doesn't know what you said.
Kano and Kabal have some history going on, except for when Kabal exposits for five minutes in front of Kano, then the drama is gone and Kano joins the bad guy side. Friendship! Again!?
So, Shang Tsung is technically cheating by going after fighters and killing them before the tournament begins. So the solution is... to kill all of his fighters before the tournament begins! Genius!
Oh wait, this is actually a serious offense that might require the Elder Gods to intervene, but Shang Tsung says he can handle them, and they're not seen actually intervening. Why mention the Elder Gods at all, then? Did anyone writing this movie play MK9 and remember that the Elder Gods descended to block Shao Kahn out of merging realms because he hadn't officially won and then obliterated him for the offense? Yeah. That's the thing that should be happening to Shang Tsung. But I guess they're lazy. Okay.
How do you introduce Mileena without Kitana? Where's Sindel? Where's Shao Khan outside of the easter egg in Raiden's temple?
Why did we get a Mortal Kombat movie without the tournament that the movie is titled after? This entire movie is a set-up to the tournament? WB has taken the literal wrong lessons from the MCU. But that goes without saying.

People might not find these things important enough to answer or fix. Sure. But it's the difference between a movie and just watching a Youtube playlist of highlights. Entirely disconnected scenes, just moment to moment. Is there anything in this movie that fans wouldn't be served watching Mortal Kombat: Rebirth and Mortal Kombat: Legacy? Or MK Legends: Scorpion's Revenge? Because those are better received by viewers without blowing their load on ice effect CGI.
All those questions? Legitimate questions. But try just... turning off the critical mind. Enjoy it for what it is.

For example, I think this is a prequel to the actual Mortal Kombat tournament. That's why the story is about killing off the Kombatants before the 10th Mortal Kombat tournament. Everyone seems oblivious because this is basically a new "life," and yes I realize I'm broaching the "reincarnation" subject, but they actually already broached this subject with Mortal Kombat 11's main ending. Basically, what happened is, the current Liu Kang reversed time to meet Kung Lao when he was growing as a teenager to correct the the future timeline. To break the cycle.

I'm curious what Ed Boon plans to do with that ending.

Top Bottom