• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Microsoft acquires Mojang

Dark Drakan

Admin
As it was rumoured last week Microsoft have purchased Minecraft creator Mojang for $2.5 billion. The founders: Notch, Carl, and Jakob are leaving & Notch has said the following:

"I love you. All of you. Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can't be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, it's belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change.

"It's not about the money. It's about my sanity.

SOURCE - CVG

He had already stepped away from Minecraft development a while ago & has never been comfortable with the responsibility for something so well known.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Where does this leave the release of Minecraft on Sony platforms? Will they be pulled?
I pre~ordered the Vita version back in July... is it still going to be released?

Dark Drakan

Admin
Where does this leave the release of Minecraft on Sony platforms? Will they be pulled?
I pre~ordered the Vita version back in July... is it still going to be released?

Phil said in the video that it will remain multi format & they don't want to change that. With Notch stepping away from development a while ago (around 3 years) & not wanting to be part of it anymore it might actually help Mojang keep direction & push them forward.

Keaton

Premium
Seems like a strange acquisition, especially since MS have no real interest in the Minecraft IP - only the user base - since it's already in every household in the UK, US etc- which it can capitialze on :/

I suspect that they'll use the Minecraft following and formula to generate games in the same way the Lego Series does i.e. Halo: A Minecraft Adventure, Gears of War & Blocks etc etc.

We shall see...

berto

I Saw the Devil
From what I've heard, intact. All versions of the game currently been made have seen no change in any way. That could still change, however, as I fear that the vita is not so lucky.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
2.5 billion is a lot of moolah. Microsoft must be just banking on the hope that Mojang can have lightning strike twice. Seeing if another Minecraft will pop out from them.

Dark Drakan

Admin
If it's still on Sony platforms, what does that do for Microsoft?

Makes them money & revenue made on it goes back to them as they own rights.

Lots of the main guys at Mojang already wanted to move on & concentrate on other things so this is mutually beneficial. They now have Microsoft backing & cash & main guys who want to move can do so & use cash to work on new projects & everyone else keeps their jobs & continues work on the Minecraft IP.

Keaton

Premium
Also as strange as it sounds, if Sony/PlayStation still want to be involved with future versions of Minecraft/ it's successors, then they'll have to pay Premiums to their biggest competitor - if they don't, then Sony purists will have motivation to move to another platform. It's quite a clever move on MS's part, even if it's a staggeringly large sum of money.

Top Bottom