• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Marvel's Jessica Jones

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Time to renew my Netflix account.

@Chancey289
I started watching it and I'm at episode 2 so far, its pretty good but not as good as DD yet.

Last edited:

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
OK I loved Daredevil Season 1 and I spent all day yesterday and stayed up till 3 in the morning today watching Season 2 and I loved it(about to head to sleep since I just finished), I wanna watch more Marvel TV Series and also want to see that stand alone R rated Punisher series with Jon Bernthal.

Now I'm just wondering if Jessica Jones is really a good show to watch because all this back and forth talk about it being feminist crap and what not is making me hesitant to watch it.

Can anyone tell me plain and simple, is Jessica Jones some feminist crap or is it a good show like Daredevil?
Because feminism is no longer the good cause it used to be and I don't want this show to waste my time.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
@xMobilemux
I wouldn't call it a "feminist" show. But whether or not you will like it, well that's for you alone to decide.

Personally I didn't like it even though I loved Daredevil. I couldn't stand the characters (aside from Luke Cage).

Watch the trailers for an idea of what it's like then if you're interested give the pilot a go.

Meg

OK I loved Daredevil Season 1 and I spent all day yesterday and stayed up till 3 in the morning today watching Season 2 and I loved it(about to head to sleep since I just finished), I wanna watch more Marvel TV Series and also want to see that stand alone R rated Punisher series with Jon Bernthal.

Now I'm just wondering if Jessica Jones is really a good show to watch because all this back and forth talk about it being feminist crap and what not is making me hesitant to watch it.

Can anyone tell me plain and simple, is Jessica Jones some feminist crap or is it a good show like Daredevil?
Because feminism is no longer the good cause it used to be and I don't want this show to waste my time.
How would you define "feminist crap"?

I personally love the show and I think it did a great job incorporating feminist issues without being overbearing. The show is about a woman who was forced to be in a violent relationship with a psycho mind controller. So issues of PTSD and rape are presented, but none of it is shoved in your face like "LOOK! LOOK AT THE FEMINISM!" There are undertones sure, but it's not at all obnoxious.

But I agree with Blackquill to watch the first episode and see if it grabs you.

Dark Drakan

Admin

I thought it was another great, dark themed show like DareDevil and the characters all have pretty shady and dark backgrounds and are flawed (alcohol dependent for example) and many issues tackled in it that you dont usually see in shows like this. If you are actively looking for something to spot that you can label as 'feminist crap' in it then you might well do, but I wouldnt say that any of the issues brought up in it could simply be defined as that. I havent seen season 2 of DareDevil yet (on my list) but Jessica Jones in my opinion is another great Marvel show to add to the list & references DareDevil subtlety too.

Reactions: Meg

berto

I Saw the Devil
I never thought it was 'feminist' issues, I just took them as issues. Adding 'feminist' because she's a woman seems rather condescending. Luke Cage's issues weren't 'masculine' or 'machista' issues, just people and their problems.

Meg

I never thought it was 'feminist' issues, I just took them as issues. Adding 'feminist' because she's a woman seems rather condescending. Luke Cage's issues weren't 'masculine' or 'machista' issues, just people and their problems.
It's a shame too, since I've seen a lot of back and forth between groups of feminists arguing about the show. One group says it's a brilliant, feminist forward show and the other side says the show presents a narrow view of white feminism and is insulting to POCs. I think the show does a great group presenting issues that feminists are very concerned with, but without being overbearingly "feminist" itself.

Not that there is anything wrong with feminism. Rather I think trying to prop Jessica up as a feminist icon and symbol for female empowerment would be incredibly silly. So I'm glad the show didn't go that route. Hasn't stopped the feminist community of freaking out about it though.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
but none of it is shoved in your face like "LOOK! LOOK AT THE FEMINISM!" There are undertones sure, but it's not at all obnoxious.
That's mostly what I wanted to know, personally I don't care or wanna care about a strong female character if that's the only reason to watch it.
Using Fury Road as an example, it has an awesome strong female lead, but she is far from the reason why the movie is so awesome.

berto

I Saw the Devil
It's a shame too, since I've seen a lot of back and forth between groups of feminists arguing about the show. One group says it's a brilliant, feminist forward show and the other side says the show presents a narrow view of white feminism and is insulting to POCs. I think the show does a great group presenting issues that feminists are very concerned with, but without being overbearingly "feminist" itself.

Not that there is anything wrong with feminism. Rather I think trying to prop Jessica up as a feminist icon and symbol for female empowerment would be incredibly silly. So I'm glad the show didn't go that route. Hasn't stopped the feminist community of freaking out about it though.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The more I hear about feminists in the modern age the more I find them to be... not a group, rather a bunch of individuals who get up in arms about something and claim their offended egos are everyone's . It seems to me, from a now outsider perspective, that it doesn't matter what anyone does or how they go about it someone's going to raise arms against it in the name of women everywhere, even when there are women everywhere that have the exact opposite opinion. It sounds like there are women everywhere screaming 'my opinion is that of every woman,' and it's becoming more common to hear someone else say 'no, mine is.'

Fury Road
I swear, when I read that I thought it said Furiosa Road.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
I swear, when I read that I thought it said Furiosa Road.
I don't consider the movie Mad Max's or even Furiosa's movie, both Max and Furiosa got equal treatment in my opinion so I just consider the movie Fury Road, I like thinking of the movie as it's own IP than part of the franchise.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
jessica jones...was so...boring. all the characters aside from malcom, purple man, and luke cage were kind of insufferable. on the bright side, it got me hyped to see luke cage in his own show. he was great in the show.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Jessica Jones was just as good as Daredevil. Seriously, Marvel's Netflix endeavors are some of the best the MCU has to offer being great character dramas. Jessica Jones was no different, I don't see how it was boring at all. Were you expecting Jessica Jones to just be another Daredevil? It's different, but that's what made it good. Just as good as Daredevil.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
I binged Jessica Jones yesterday and like Daredevil Season 2 I stuck with it all day until 1 in the morning today.
I actually thought it was great, not quite as good as DD, but it was still pretty damn good.

I have no idea how Season 2 is gonna top Killgrave though.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i guess i'm just stupid then. because DD imo is 10000 times better than jessica jones. maybe when they switch out show runners for the second season, they'll do something interesting, but as it stands, season 1 wasn't my thing.

Top Bottom