• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Looks like we have an uninvited guest...

Viper

Premium
In start of Mission 4, when Vergil tells Arkham that there is a woman in the tower... you can notice he actually had his eyes closed till then and opened them only to look at Arkham while speaking. He was also standing on top of Temen-ni-gru, very far from the point where Dante and Lady entered, and despite standing near the edge, not appearing to look down (might have even been a bit too far to look down). So that brings the question...

Does Vergil have some form of power on par with clairvoyance? Can he "see" things or people with his mind alone? Is it perhaps connected to Yamato, the sword that messes up with dimensions and such?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Perhaps he can sharpen his senses to the max by concentrating, so even if he supposedly couldn't see her, maybe he managed to hear the noise Lady made with their bike, and when she broke the ice.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
well we know there immune to soul draining and have telekinises going by dante so maybe they have esp or another power that lets them sense movement or life signs , dante was able to avoid things he couldn't see in some cases

Wuodan

Present Day. Present Time.
I think Lady's presence is easy to sense for Vergil since she's probably the only human in the entire milesquare. And I think he was closing his eyes not to focus but he was somehow annoyed by Arkham lol. So yeah, he (and most of the other demons) probably have a clairvoyance-like sense.

Wajpa

Also Viper339 on Twitch!
I would say it mostly comes up to his really sharp senses. Since Dante is able to block Arkham's attack when he charged at him from behind, Vergil probably has a similar ability to sense movement. It also helps that in comparison to Dante he's really calm so his ability to do that is probably superior. Also since he's able later on in the story to notice if Arkham is bothered with something and Vergil also realizes pretty quickly that Arkham did not follow his order to kill Mary, I'd say that he's also able to decipher someone's emotions really easily which maybe let him notice that Arkham knew about Lady being in Temen-ni-gru.

berto

I Saw the Devil
This reminds me of that episode of Supernatural where they were filming a movie and a producer starts talking to the director and tells him about the scene where they made the chant that turned out to summon a demon from hell and asks him 'how did the demon hear him all the way from hell?' So they add a scene where the characters have the same dialogue.
Original conversation:
Brad: Well, for one thing, the rules aren't really landing for me. Like, the kids do this Latin chant, and that makes the ghosts show up?
McG: Yeah.

Brad: See, but if the ghosts are in Hell, how do they hear the chanting? I mean, what do they have, super-hearing? It's a logic bump. The rules don't track.

Changes to the movie after said conversation:
Mitch: When we read from that book, we must have brought them back. Back from Hell.
Kendra: But I don't understand. If they were in Hell, how could they hear our chanting?
Mitch: They must have super-hearing!

If you are going to argue that there are beings that are of supernatural origin, such as those in DMC, then logic, science, natural law and their limitations do not apply to them. As Kamiya said about Bayonetta, 'they have powers beyond human comprehension.' If you believe he is a preternatural being, what, with the demon blood and all, then you should expect him to have certain properties that are beyond nature.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Demonic powers depend more of the mythology they are taken from than the demons in question.Let us assume these demons and their powers came from Christianity( particularly Eastern/Western Catholics Churches).Their demons are so, but so powerful, they can even cause prejudice to God: they can't stop His plans, but they can slowing him down or altering something in order to get him to stop or or changing His omniscient mind.
If demons from DMC are from Catholicism, they sure are power machines, causing fear in human race and annoyance to their Lord.
Kamiya always gives that kind of answer if he doesn't know/ want to answer a question.

KRSkull

There are many theories:

1) Arkham sent her an invetation.
2) There was a disturbance in the demonic force.
3) The Tower talks to him

Viper

Premium
@berto
Demon-summoning spells usually include chanting their names or drawing their specific symbols so I gather the magic either tracks them down and brings them over through teleportation or functions as some kind of hellish batsignal, but I get what you mean.

However, to simply dismiss some peculiarity as "well he is supernatural, it's beyond human comprehension" is kinda boring.

If he has mental powers beyond regular, just imagine the possibilities if he didn't go and got himself killed. It also raises the question what is happening in Dante's head, since they are twins.

Another possibility I came up with... what if it's twin telepathy? Vergil mentioned woman in tower right after Dante saw her for the first time. What if Vergil was trying to "see" what is Dante doing and ended up noticing Lady?

To add more fuel to discussion, what was the purpose of him saying it to Arkham? Lady was hardly a threat to Vergil, so was it simply a test to see how Arkham will react, and did he really want Lady dead? After all, once he mentioned her presence, Vergil didn't say a word, but let Arkham conclude himself that Lady should be "asked to leave". Even the look he gives to Arkham as the latter one is walking away is a rather worried one, yet later on, in front of Arkham he now considers still too human to let go of his child, he bravely stands in front of him.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Got you on this! Identical twins are "two who once were one". Telepathy meets this criteria, but it seems Dante has no such powers or they were underdeveloped at that point. In real life, it's possible two persons being so close that they can read each other minds.
Vergil telling Arkham about Lady was a test to see how Arkham would react. In manga is more than obvious Vergil doesnt like Arkham neither trusts him, maybe he just want to see how Arkham would deal with his child.
Vergil is playing tough in front of Arkham:so you had b**** to kill your adorable wife, but you didn't kill your child?
To be true Vergil become even more suspicious when a guy who had no qualms in killing a woman who loved him, but he wasn't willing to kill is own girl, even if Arkham had no problems of destroying other innocent people. Red flag...

berto

I Saw the Devil
Demonic powers depend more of the mythology they are taken from than the demons in question.Let us assume these demons and their powers came from Christianity( particularly Eastern/Western Catholics Churches).
Whether DMC is grounded in Christian lore is another conversation entirely, and a rather long one a that. Some will even argue that there is no god or angels in DMC, at all.

This seems rather overcomplicated. I think the answer is as simple as that, he is a demon, he has powers beyond just been able to jump really high. The ability to sense a presence isn't that far from the notion that a demon could do it. She's human, everything else is demonic, and then there is Dante, not hard to stick out in the fold.

3) The Tower talks to him
I rather like this one.

@berto
Demon-summoning spells usually include chanting their names or drawing their specific symbols so I gather the magic either tracks them down and brings them over through teleportation or functions as some kind of hellish batsignal, but I get what you mean.
Don't tell me, tell Brad.

However, to simply dismiss some peculiarity as "well he is supernatural, it's beyond human comprehension" is kinda boring.
Yes, but what if it's true. Now, I'm not saying that that is the case here, but in any situation where you are told that it is something that is beyond the realm of human understanding I think people find it as a cop out. Imagine a very complex equation, something that takes up a few walls and there are even symbols you don't ever recognize, and you are asked to solve it with whatever knowledge of mathematics you do have (And yes, no internet or outside help). If I say that is beyond you it is the same principle. That is what they mean when they say that. It's often brought up in Japanese paranormal studies (Though for the most part those shows can be rather cheesy) and the occasional horror movie.

If he has mental powers beyond regular, just imagine the possibilities if he didn't go and got himself killed. It also raises the question what is happening in Dante's head, since they are twins.
I've thought about that, too, that if there are twins who are just human and they share an unexplainable bond that are beyond logic or science what happens when you add demon blood to it, a supernatural property?

Another possibility I came up with... what if it's twin telepathy? Vergil mentioned woman in tower right after Dante saw her for the first time. What if Vergil was trying to "see" what is Dante doing and ended up noticing Lady?
I don't think so. If that were the case it'd be a two way street and Dante could see what Vergil does and know what he knows. I think they will know where the other is or even share an empathic bond but I don't think they see and know what the other does.

To add more fuel to discussion, what was the purpose of him saying it to Arkham? Lady was hardly a threat to Vergil, so was it simply a test to see how Arkham will react, and did he really want Lady dead? After all, once he mentioned her presence, Vergil didn't say a word, but let Arkham conclude himself that Lady should be "asked to leave". Even the look he gives to Arkham as the latter one is walking away is a rather worried one, yet later on, in front of Arkham he now considers still too human to let go of his child, he bravely stands in front of him.
Well, if you got plans going, something goes outside of the parameters you set you are going to bring it up, and who else was Vergil going to tell except for the only other person there with him. I think Vergil's only concern was that Arkham might've not been as dedicated as he made himself out to be.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Or maybe it's just another one of the many plot holes ridden throughout this series.
:happy::angel:Oh, c'mon. It's no more farfetched than rocket riding but how that's physically impossible hardly construed as a plot hole.

Top Bottom