• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Limbo and the real world

seraphmaycry

She becomes less monotone as the series go on and does show emotion. Try watching season 5, episode 13. It basically gets to the root of why she switches off and behaves like that, and how her parents deal with it.

i'll get around to it for sure, then.

Anyway, as for switching off emotionally, that is a bit like DmC, a world where people are encouraged to switch off, be docile and carry on like everything is fine, even when everything is not. It's like modern society where people are encouraged to buy the latest thing, eat this or drink that to get that fleeting feeling of happiness and acceptance as part of the crowd. Humanity basically polices itself in that regard with peer pressure and fads. It's ridiculous, but without that, parts of the economy would be screwed.

yep, the exact message in in DmC, docile cattle kept enslaved by consumerism. on the other hand i feel emotionless and bored with everything every so often because of just horrible everything seems.

Speaking of fades, demonic fashion would be something interesting to have in the next game. It fits into both consumerism and humanity's need to conform to an exact image.
DmC could emphasise the darker side to fashion like starving models, plastic surgery, sexualisation of youth,
and a DmC twist of 'special leather' actually being made from human skin.
Thinking about it, Lilith would've been suited to that kind of theme what with all that plastic surgery.

i'd like to see that, but whoever is writing DmC comes off as pretentious, everyone knows soft drinks are bad and they do it anyway, the writer oftentimes farts out the most obvious messages about society without going to a deeper issue.

fashion would be interesting to see done, would the demons try to create this horrible idea of beautiful where the humans are weak and stupid.... celebrities, stupid idiots who got rich because they are oh so pretty, we already have that, supermodels so thin that the wind could probably push them over, great another terrible thing with the modern world, our role models (or at least the ones some people actually take to be role models) are teaching us "don't fight back, be pretty and barely capable of spelling ur on nomz"

i suddenly want to throw a brick at the fashion industry.

seraphmaycry

i knew it was worth considering trying out at least some more daria.

no way am i like her, for a start i'm not nearly that smart, i'm not as anti-social as her, but can definitely understand what's going on.

this show is actually very good, it's sort of like DmC, with all the "society sucks" messages not being so pretentious.

seraphmaycry

anyway, i have been watching more daria in some spare time, a few things i'd like to say on it.

1 thanks for introducing me to something that is actually really awesome loopy!

2 i feel like a little kid now that i'm watching a cartoon frequently

3 the last episode of season 1 is my favorite so far, it sums up how i feel about the world on many occasions.

4 only 5 seasons? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Edit:

5 i know see i should increase my intelligent for the direct purpose of having more laughs at what exactly is wrong with the world, and was motivated enough to borrow some books from the local library and have finished one of them today, because i have to much time on the holidays.

also, i just remembered we were supposed to be discussing DmC and limbo and the real world...

to contribute to that discussion, i reckon the news does more then spread obviously thick doses of propaganda (still holding it guilty for that)

i reckon it's also a fear monger, people laugh at the insanity of the old witch hunts, but society is replicating that right here, all i ever hear from anyone over 30 recently is "OMG PLANE CRASH MY THEORY IS (insert generic "insightful" theory here)"

I see it as "a plane dissapeared,we reckon it might be a terrorist attack, either that or somesort of bizarre freak accident. "

either way it's definitely spreading fear throughout the world, if it is terrorists, i reckon their either laughing their asses off or paying the media to spread fear and make a big deal over "we lost a plane"

a plane dissapearing is pretty inexplicable, certainly, but nobody should be bothered other then the important people related to this stuff.

whatever happened, happened, the public is under-qualified to understand it, the big important people have mostly like come up with over 90 percent of the logical and likely ideas related to this.

i hate it when people assume if they had the exact same scenario as someone else handed to them, that they think they'd be any better, i used to that and wish i had a time machine so i could punch myself for it.

i hate propaganda, but if you can't get anyone to agree with you, a bit of a positive retelling of events is required.

also, extremely interesting idea.

zombies date back a very long time, i remember hearing of them in the bible.

zombies are interesting because i think they actually may serve as a form of propaganda, created as a way of denying problems "i'm not a meaningless creature that nobody really cares about and who is faceless from the crowd, that's this zombie i'm killing."

this makes sense with horror movie monsters, because they all do something like this.

vampires are denying people joining social and/or political groups

aliens deny guilt at being at the top of the food chain and having nothing to really stop us.

could it be that zombies actually evolved over time to be a tactic for war recruitment?

consider this, most modern zombies occur with an extremely large number of zombies, i don't bother with zombie things because, as i said, propaganda.

this number is the sheer scale of an army.

the zombies like to invade parts of the world in a sense.

and here is the biggest clue, all zombie things i have ever seen try to make you emotional and care about the characters, while making the zombies nameless and evil.

this last thing is a way of establishing empathy for whatever country you are patriotic to whiel dehumanizing the other groups/groups.

now, i'm not going to say this nonsense if corrupting the youth of the world or whatever, i'm not quite ready to announce i'm some morally outstanding person smarter and braver then the rest of the brainwashed world and declare people are evil because of filthy foreigners or whatever tricking us into "actions that are not our own" even though i get to make a quote.

humans don't need any help being evil in most cases, and i'm not that discriminatory to whatever group, culture, race etc etc etc.

but it does seem that is exactly what zombies are trying to achieve as a form of media on the whole.

if a gamer comes here and says something like "the last of us doesn't do that, it's not even about zombie!"

then i will get very annoyed at the sheer level of ignorance.

i don't need to point out how the last of us ticks most, if not all, of my zombie = propaganda requirements, do i now?

anyway, back to Daria i reckon she would serve as a pretty good role model for people, she is oppressed for having genuine disagreements with the world and its workings, but doesn't just give up, although as the boxing Daria episode pointed out, it's not always easy to handle, but anyway she makes solid points and the world just denies them, she is also quite smart and enjoys reading, i'm not saying to read 24/7, but it would be a good to expand knowledge without a overly pretentious documentaries to do in the easy no words format.

i feel a rant on documentaries coming on.

for a start, they always unbearably, pretentious, i almost choked to death on the BS last time i watched the first 30 seconds of one.

also, i just can't trust them, it's on the internet, and I've learnt the hard way you have to be extremely critical of anything and everything found on it, and behold, this has been proven correct by the wide range of biased and factually incorrect katana vs broadsword gibberish, i can't trust them, not that i expect books or anything else to be perfect, but editors exist for a reason and writing a book is generally a longer process then having some guy talk to a camera.

Last edited:

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
anyway, i have been watching more daria in some spare time, a few things i'd like to say on it.

1 thanks for introducing me to something that is actually really awesome loopy!

2 i feel like a little kid now that i'm watching a cartoon frequently

3 the last episode of season 1 is my favorite so far, it sums up how i feel about the world on many occasions.

4 only 5 seasons? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
You're welcome. It seemed like the kind of show that would resonate with you on some level.

Now I'm wondering what DmC would have been like if Kat had a personality more like Daria's. :laugh: Maybe the plot would've gone differently.

Something else about Limbo and the real world. In real life, they add things like fluoride to water and calcium and iron supplements into children's cereal. I wonder what sort of effect that will cause in these future adults?
Then I think, what if they had explored that in DmC? I know they had Virility drinks spiked with demonic vomit, but what if demon control extended to putting chemicals in the water and additives in food to dope people up.

They could have also done something about demon run police force or demon run education. Get the children while they are young and mould them into compliant adults who follow fads and buy into consumerism.
But, I guess the education thing happens in real life anyway without demons being involved. Except it's children policing children with social exclusion and bullying if they don't buy the latest clothes or toys. Then there are the teachers forcing conformity and teaching only for testing, instead of encouraging imagination and free thinking.

seraphmaycry

You're welcome. It seemed like the kind of show that would resonate with you on some level.

indeed, i love it to be honest, i don't even pretend to have made up my mind on who the target audience is.

Now I'm wondering what DmC would have been like if Kat had a personality more like Daria's. :laugh: Maybe the plot would've gone differently.

"now over here is the virility factory, i hate it, over there is a hat, i hate it, over there is some wind, i hate it."

Something else about Limbo and the real world. In real life, they add things like fluoride to water and calcium and iron supplements into children's cereal. I wonder what sort of effect that will cause in these future adults?
Then I think, what if they had explored that in DmC? I know they had Virility drinks spiked with demonic vomit, but what if demon control extended to putting chemicals in the water and additives in food to dope people up.

i wonder if there's actually any research on that, now I wish i had a some sort of reliable food source, but what am i going to do? set up a vegetable farm? wonder if i could, sounds better then eating that sort of crap, now i'm paranoid about food, great, next i'll have a eating disorder.

They could have also done something about demon run police force or demon run education. Get the children while they are young and mould them into compliant adults who follow fads and buy into consumerism.
But, I guess the education thing happens in real life anyway without demons being involved. Except it's children policing children with social exclusion and bullying if they don't buy the latest clothes or toys. Then there are the teachers forcing conformity and teaching only for testing, instead of encouraging imagination and free thinking.

i think there may be some free thinking involved, but very little, i remember my English teacher being reluctant to hold a class debate over Frankenstein and then being surprised when we weren't throwing insults randomly and swearing every two words and calling everything gay, OK, it wasn't phrased like that, you get the idea.

although a class full of "no you're wrong, this is gay!" may have been amusing due to the sheer hypocrisy.

well, one interesting way i could use the system is as a filter, those obsessed with fashion or latest trends in gaming, probably aren't worth my time, of course, you can still hold an interest in both those things, it's the point where needing to know what game all the fanboys are drooling over because they've been told too or constantly reading clothing catalogs or whatever, i feel a little discriminatory to females by saying that, but i couldn't think of a better or more realistic seeming example because i am certainly not a part of the culture.

i think i just found a very helpful and time saving way to abuse the system

i wonder if it would be good for a person from one gender to make friends with those in the other at a young age? different physcology means that one gender one be drawn into the main pulls of the others society, guys act differently about romance then girls do, and girls act differently about, i'm not even going to pretend to have a good and fair example here, as i'm sickeningly ignorant of female culture, but the point is they won't be dragged into the others culture and perhaps learn to accept differences, think for themselves etc etc etc, worth trying, i think, might work, if guys being around girls in anything other then a romantic or strictly business scenario i'd encourage it, but "ew girls" or "ew guys" seems to have been firmly planted in society and i am considering the best way to feel guilty about ever following something so illogical, i get that they're different, but since when were they aliens?

Last edited:

seraphmaycry

i think the most depressing thing about all this talk is how when i talk about the failures of others, it's really the failure of myself i'm protesting against.

i see other humans being defeated in an argument and throwing around crap only slightly more intelligent then a 5 year old throwing "it's right because i say so!" around, i can't describe why i'm a large fan of devil may cry as a series, and recognize DmC consciously as the best devil may cry in many regards but i never reward it the points it deserves it's forgiving, more so then DMC3 on DMD, but i still die on bloody palace, i like DMC3 best, and as a result, illogically fling BS at fans of DmC, i always feel guilty about this and all the other things that i do not live up to that would be considered basic standards for being a rational and worthwhile creature, the problem lies with humanity, but i laugh at others and point out the issues mainly because i'm ashamed of not being properly thinking and rational.

i'm suppressing all emotions as much as i can, and casting aside all my friends and ties to the social world slowly but surely, my parents, teachers, and even my fencing coach i suspect think i have some kind of problem, i have no professionally diagnosable case of depression, but would not be surprised if a therapist approached me in school.

i leave my hair long and if possible, unwashed and take pride in being recognized as an outsider for this, it means im one step further from being human, yet i still show vanity and concern over my appearance.

it's like i'm living a train wreck, knowing full well it's my fault, and laughing at the man with a big nose sitting with the rest of the passengers.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
what about the Government?
Oh yeah! It's less fun in the Philippines now that its fastest internet speed is at 3.6 mbps. While Singapore on the other hand... They have the fastest at 61 mbps!

Shows the Filipino government aren't investing enough more telecommunication network retailers!

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Oh yeah! It's less fun in the Philippines now that its fastest internet speed is at 3.6 mbps. While Singapore on the other hand... They have the fastest at 61 mbps!

Shows the Filipino government aren't investing enough more telecommunication network retailers!
Internet in general could have been used as a demon tool in DmC for spying on humans. Just imagine a demon style Google collecting data on all of its users. :tongue:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
She becomes less monotone as the series go on and does show emotion. Try watching season 5, episode 13. It basically gets to the root of why she switches off and behaves like that, and how her parents deal with it.

Makes you wonder what lead to this:

good_mornings_with_daria_and_jane_by_zonick2kc-d4v787a.png

http://zonick2kc.deviantart.com/art/Good-Mornings-with-Daria-and-Jane-294270022

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Internet in general could have been used as a demon tool in DmC for spying on humans. Just imagine a demon style Google collecting data on all of its users. :tongue:
Oh f**k!
No wonder YouTube comment section is also filled with demons and demon collaborators...! Same with Social Networking in general... >_<

seraphmaycry

one thing i'm noticing within society is this attitude people have, where they don't want to think, they want distractions and they want auto-pilot.

this seems weird to me because the main advantage of humans is our bigger and more layered cerebral cortex, the layers stacked upon each other to save space and increase intelligence.

so then, do humans have a natural goal to destroy their own humanity?

not the empathy and feelings we say we have but other creatures posses, but what really makes us special, being smarter.

because you see the animals with their immense strength or cunning traps, and humans can't match their fighting skills with their brain, and can't match the strength with the muscle, we can't build webs to catch our food.

we use our brains to use our hands to make tools for hunting, sharpened sticks, swords, guns, cannons, missiles, bombs, even the ability to manage an entire army.

and the brain wants to commit things to automatic responses so it doesn't have to think about them, that's part of why habits are so hard to break, the brain wants the automatic response, it wants you to tie your shoes without thinking, it wants you to drive without thinking, it doesn't want you to think.

of course i speak of the brain as if it were an actual self-aware entity separate from the persons body, i know it is not.

i was once told by someone that i should stop thinking, i found it an odd idea and it only returned right now, actually i don't know what was going on with them anyway, they randomly hugged me the day after and never talked to me again, or at leas hasn't yet, i doubt they will.

"Ooooooooooook, that's uh-cool?" moments aside, the thing here is that i was told by somebody to stop thinking, to stop being aware of the problems i had with the world, for a short time, i subscribed to it, but after some time i couldn't keep it going, this may be what sets me apart, perhaps.

what's weird is younger children aren't properly self aware, they fail the test of identifying themselves in the mirror, it's for a few years, can't remember exact amount. after that, they don't seem to be able to understand how others see them for the next short amount of years.

not long after they grab this concept, they want to be seen a certain way, and they use other peoples traits to create an identity, memes, ideas passed from one to another in a society, and there's the disappointment of what they could have been if they had done x or .

through this disappointment, the idea of not thinking begins to make sense, people accept the scenario and don't think about it because they either can't change or don't want to go the trouble, the identity has become automatic.

and that's what western society does, who cares about the terrible conditions in place x when people go to a concert, when they watch football, when they turn on the news even.

in fact the news is interesting because it is very amusing to watch. it's not just false-reporting (bob barbas anyway?) that matters, but it's what it does, the main thing i see driving the news is it only reports both side of the truth if it fits with the ideas of society, i have never seen a news report of a captured terrorist speaking at a point (not that i can stand to watch much of the news) the criminals shown are always the ones that feel remorse, or are easily ridiculed.

the news seems to be geared to this, finding something to be angry about that seems fairly important, remember the recurring story of a house being destroyed and people being generous enough to donate enough for it to be rebuilt? what if they reported stories about famine or houses always being destroyed in some country that was flooded? they would have less ratings, the reason they report stories like that is because people have been found to identify better with people of similar culture and people have been found to identify better with families and because people have been found to identify with a few people then a group better because our empathy only stretches so far.

the news reports the stories with the higher public interest.

but everyone knows about the news, time to move on.

superficial things aside, i think human society as a whole may have evolved as a way of both physical and emotional survival, throughout society, two things persist every time, a group identity which all can identify with, and a target for thoughts, religion, science, internal power rankings and struggles, hell, even schools do it, english class is the closest i ever get to this stuff and the ultimate big tasks given aren't deep and thought-provoking ideas, "Is Frankenstein a villian or a victim." this is thought provoking, but it's not things that actually can be applied to reality and create an entire new way of viewing things "how does society keep itself immortal through civil war, hatred, sadism and many other things?" is slightly better and comes in the later years of high school.

the world doesn't want thinking, humans are against their strongest feature.

i think that's why the way i am, when listening to music, playing video games, eating, doing school work, no matter what, i always try to have a part of my mind focused to something else, i can't divert all my attention to something.

one example is how i was writing up some school work today and at the same time listening to music and at the same time creating the ideas of this forum post in my head and thinking about the post and where the ideas had come from.

i think that's the only thing that's even interesting about me, i'm not incredibly good at school i'm not bad but nobody would notice me outside of a few things, i'm not very fast or strong, i don't have nay special talents, i'm not a professional skill level at anything, i don't even have any half interesting secrets, my main talent is the double attention, to read something, to listen to a documentary and too not get myself too involved because i need part of my brain to apply the knowledge i'm gaining to constant update my view of the world.

i don't get carried away by loud noise and people slamming into each other, i don't get carried away by the speeches presidents make, i can proudly say the only thing interesting about me is that i never shut off the thoughts and that no matter what, i always have something going within my head other then a single thing.

just today, i was sitting, listening to music and playing a video game, and i began thinking about everyone i was doing and became amazed.

i was picking up the sounds with my ears and translating them into something significant, i was loading up a mental map of the controller and it's position in relation to my hands, i was looking at a screen with a heads up display telling me quite a few different pieces of information, i was co-ordinating my hands to press buttons, i was looking at the screen and seeing the things on it and not only gaining information on it but very rapidly comparing it to memory from many different situations, i was thinking about what i was thinking and i became amazed at the level of complexity involved in a single moment of a game that i had played for many hours total, and to consider doing all those processes and even more hundreds, no thousands considering how short the space i thought of was, and i became aware of this state of unawareness and being aware of this unawareness, with made it no longer unawareness and i can never look at a video game the same way.

thinking, something society and individuals seems to repel against, it's so weird to have this brain going against it's own purpose.

without thinking people are not only animals, people are fairly weak animals.

this entire post was sprouted from one day, and the longest paragraph from a few short seconds of being aware of not only at my own awareness of my awareness, but the awareness of my unawareness, and how that changed the state of the unawareness to something else, not entirely awareness, the actions were still automatic, but they were being noticed, conscious unawareness, i shall call it.

i don't know, it was just one of those "woah" moments.

to bring it back on topic, not thinking seems to be the goal of society, products aren't sold by their ingredients and actual nutritional value, whether you walk out of the store with something is this subconscious manipulation with colors to change moods and big and fancy words to create false credibility.

no thought, just automatic reaction.

i know this is the superficial statements of DmC in many places, but i have to talk about it because of that one moment i had.

today may be one of the best days because of that one realization of realization, i don't know how to describe it.

day after tomorrow i return to the world where thoughts like that are un-important and meaningless in a tide of "who cares, need good grades." or "who cares about miserable stuff" or "what does it matter when you're jobless?"

i can't believe the garbage thrown at me sometimes, not that other stuff isn't important but the attitude that thinking doesn't matter, grades do seems so wrong to me.

i used to think the blame was on the modern world, i now think the system is intrinsically terrible.

you know, the ability to just think all the time and be okay with that, even if it's about something depressing, is the greatest quality i think i could ever ask for.

after today, i feel lucky to be as i am, even though few people like me because of how it has created a view of the world that makes me reluctant to participate in most cases.

this was a fairly long post, and i should probably sleep considering the time here, if there are any grammatical errors, poorly chosen words, random insert of words or spelling mistakes, i apologize.

and before i come across as some egotistical pest, i do not think of myself as better then an unrealistically high amount of other people, i'm not better then they for thinking all the time and never just being absorbed into an activity to the point i stop thinking about anything else, i just think that for me personally, it's the best thing i could have.

is it just me or does this entire post come across as sappy emotional garbage from a terrible fan-fiction? argh, well, whatever, nobody's going to kill me or anything.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I thought we were all checking up on the news on what's happening in the world and posting those topics on this thread?

Top Bottom