• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Let's Rank DMC games from Best to Worst

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
for me it would have to be this order
1.Dmc4 for the sheer combat capabilities dante has in the air with jc
2.Dmc3 for story gameplay and fun
3.Dmc1 for the story the music the background settings and its uniqueness
4.Dmc(Devil may cry) it has decent combat and i liked the level design
5.Dmc2 wasnt a bad game just wasnt a great one if they had only added more combos

seraphmaycry

dmc3-story was shallow a first but left a lot to interpetation and had a awesome gothic feel to it, the combat was extremely fun and the enemy were well done, and those vergil boss fights were amazing, it's difficulty was awesome(only played HD version,sadly) oh and the most important thing was lady being a complete badass.

dmc1- best gothic feel of entire,series,combat was well balanced and strategic it was difficult in all the right ways(except for nightmare, he was just a cheap bitch and griffon's flying abilities ****ed me off) and the story was awesome

dmc4- awful story, a whiny "KYRIEEE" kid (im never going to just forget all that) and backtracking, the combat was great but nero is WAY to simplified (his main weapon has only 3 uses and his grab is OP considering the damage,DT Abusing and no real way for enemys to escape) and TRICKSWORDGUNDARKROYALTRICKGUARDSWORDGUNDARK.... get's tiring quickly.

DmC- for some reason i can't bring myself to play this game through more then once.

dmc2- do you even need to ask?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Edit:

I decided to move my list here so that others can have an easier time seeing the changes that I've made to it.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ok, this is my real list:

-----------------------------------------------------------

1. DmC:

Edit: I moved this up to first place due to my personal tastes and because DM2010 was good enough to show me why it deserved first place through an explanation of his own. Well done, Master of Dragons.

Edit:

I had also moved DMC4 to last place because I realized that DMC4 Dante was just too insufferable (from my point of view) to ignore.

At least DMC1 Dante knew when to stop talking.

------------------------------------------------------------

DmC:

I loved the story, the characters, and the way most of the mythos was explained instead of making me look up most of it on wikipedia like the old series did -- the gameplay itself wasn't all that bad once you got used to the lack of a 'hard lock-on'... you can actually do some really amazing things with the combat engine, imho.

Also, thanks to Oppressed Writer for teaching me the aerial 'lock-on trick' with the Caliber move and the twin handguns.

2. DMC3:

One of my favorite games of all time due to it's unparalleled gameplay (yes, I have played Bayonetta, and I didn't like it as much as DMC3) -- I even like the Inuyasha aesthetic, which, while cliched, works for these two brothers decently enough, overall.

3. DMC2:

Yes, really. after watching this vid, I'm convinced that even this atrocity of a game has at least some merit -- the gameplay is awful, no doubt, but once you know what you're doing, you can actually turn it around and have a lot of fun with it.

And now we have one of my least favorite games in the series, DMC1. The creme-de-la-creme.

"DMC1 CREATED A NEW GENRE. IT DOESN'T DESERVE NEXT-TO-LAST PLACE."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah well, so did Street Fighter 1. But it's basically ignored when compared to its second entry.

Also, this bears repeating:

TO ME, DMC1 IS JUST SWORD OF THE BESERK WITH VIRTUA FIGHTER JUGGLE PHYSICS.

I'm sorry but, pretty much nothing will convince me otherwise, at this point.

Besides, if you really want to go back, Link and Captain Falcon from Super Smash brothers already had some of Dante's exact same moves before Dante had them (specifically sword juggle, multi-stab, high-time, falcon punch, and falcon kick,) .

If you want to go even FURTHER back, Zelda II already had "jump-canceling" in the form of a move called downstab -- and this was before SFII. You could also do this aerially with flying enemies.

Here's a vid with DMC1's combos. Let's take a look.

I know it's just me, but I feel very restricted 'gameplay-wise' when compared to the other games. Yes, even more restricted than DMC2 (for reasons that I've already shown in the vids I posted). You actually have to push the enemies against the wall just to be able to perform shotgun jump-cancel on them.

I just feel like I can have more 'aerial possibilities' in DMC2 than in DMC1. Even with the option of Vortex, I still don't feel very 'mobile' and 'free'.

5. DMC4:

As much as I hated this game because of Nero, the game board parts, the dialogue (KYRIEEE), the story, the backtracking, and Dante's utter immaturity compared to his DMC1 (and even DMC2 self), I still liked the gameplay because it reminded me of DMC3.

However, with only 3 melee weapons instead of five, four styles instead six, and the fact that there's no poleplay or wallrun (I really liked those moves) like in DMC3, makes this the worst DMC game overall, imho.

Edit: I'm not counting Yamato as either a melee weapon or a style. A 3-hit combo plus an aerial rave does not a style make. Slash Dimension attacks are also OP, as well.

As for Nero -- nope. Didn't like the story or the gameplay when he was involved. To me, he doesn't even exist.

So, while the combat in 4 is better than 2, it still has more negative points against it than DMC2 itself does -- which is a bad thing. A very bad thing. Get your **** together, Capcom.

So, there you have it.

I know that I'm going to get flamed to hell and back for this, but I believe that my reasons for rating the games in this order still have merit -- and in the end, are just my own personal tastes, nothing more.

1.) DmC

Its doubtful a sequel will come, but I will say even if there isn't, this will always be the best Devil May Cry in my eyes.
A very brave post from you, sir. In fact, I'm going to rearrange my list to make DmC first.

Edit:

Last place: DMC 4

Period.

Catch you later peeps.
tumblr_lt33xdQwoK1qfmr75.gif
Burn. I like that idea. Let's go with that.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

My New Official List

1. DmC

2. DMC3

3. DMC2

4. DMC1

5. DMC4

Reactions: Meg

NinGangsta

Nah.. from a purely story standpoint it kinda sucks.

I would never rate a game solely on the story, but DMC2 is probably still weaker in that field. (Also, "KYRIIEEE!" does not sum up the story. The game had a decent plot that was slightly overdone, but the gameplay, characterization, and atmosphere made the game a good game.)

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Putting 4 at the bottom is a bit absurd, don't you think?

absurd how?

This is my opinion mind you, so there is nothing absurd about it.

And I enjoyed DMC4, it had the best gameplay out of all the other DMCs if you ask me, but everything else about the game I did not like, so I put it at the bottom, I enjoyed DMC2 and DmC over all more than I did DMC4.

NinGangsta

absurd how?

This is my opinion mind you, so there is nothing absurd about it.

And I enjoyed DMC4, it had the best gameplay out of all the other DMCs if you ask me, but everything else about the game I did not like, so I put it at the bottom, I enjoyed DMC2 and DmC over all more than I did DMC4.

I'm not judging you for having an opinion. I just can't understand what makes you think DMC2 is a better game.. Mind breaking it down for me?

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I'm not judging you for having an opinion. I just can't understand what makes you think DMC2 is a better game.. Mind breaking it down for me?

Really it would be all subjective really, don't get what explaining it to you can get considering you may not have the same taste in games as me, but here is what I like in DMC2 over DMC4

1.The settings of DMC2
2.Dante's Design in DMC2(which was many times better then his appearance in DMC4 In my opinion)
3.Much more unlockables then DMC4 (seriously, DMC4's unlockables where almost nonexistent)
4.Better Level progression (I hated having to backtrack the same areas as Dante in DMC4)
5.Better Boss Battles (I particularly enjoyed the battle with the building monster the most)

soooo........there you have it.

aoshi

NinGangsta

Really it would be all subjective really, don't get what explaining it to you can get considering you may not have the same taste in games as me, but here is what I like in DMC2 over DMC4

1.The settings of DMC2
2.Dante's Design in DMC2(which was many times better then his appearance in DMC4 In my opinion)
3.Much more unlockables then DMC4 (seriously, DMC4's unlockables where almost nonexistent)
4.Better Level progression (I hated having to backtrack the same areas as Dante in DMC4)
5.Better Boss Battles (I particularly enjoyed the battle with the building monster the most)

soooo........there you have it.

I can see where you're coming from now. 4 did lack a lot of the collectables and unlockables the other ones had, and the atmosphere is completely different. I wasn't too fond of the rinsed and repeated boss fights either. Also, sorry if I came off as an inconsiderate douche

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I can see where you're coming from now. 4 did lack a lot of the collectables and unlockables the other ones had, and the atmosphere is completely different. I wasn't too fond of the rinsed and repeated boss fights either. Also, sorry if I came off as an inconsiderate douche

No problem man, if you where honestly just trying to see where I was coming from with my list then I understand.^_^

Caiden

For me:

DMC4- DMC4 was the first DMC game I played so it is what got me into the series. When I wasn't too good at the game I thought it was boring and repetitive. But when I came back to it a few years later I learned how to do a bunch of different combos and now I love it. I love instant style switching and integrating Nero's arm into the already awesome gameplay. I enjoy most of the boss fights but it was unfortunate that Capcom was too lazy to give us more and instead just did backtracking. Also Nero is my favorite character. I like most of the DMC characters, but I just really like Nero for some reason. My biggest problem with it though is that it is obviously under developed. The best example is Kyrie's character. I like that they gave Nero a love interest and I like that she is included but they did not give her enough screen time to actually develop her and just made her look like a plot device and not an actual character. I have seen people suggest that she be killed off if she is involved in future games. I disagree. I think they should actual make her a developed character instead of keeping her as damsel in distress.

DMC 3- DMC3 is barely behind DMC4 in the ranking. It has great gameplay, made a great comeback from DMC2, and had a really good story. Vergil is probably my second favorite character just because of that game. I think Ebony and Ivory are at there best in DMC3 and I find myself using gunslinger the most. It was also nice to see Dante go through so real development. From a punk who just wanted to kill some demons, to someone more willing to accept his demonic blood and his family. I almost jumped out of my chair when I learn I got to play as Vergil.

DMC- DMC is a fun game but its gameplay doesn't really age that well. I first played the original DMC and it's controls completely threw me off. But one thing that I have always enjoyed about is the sense of exploration. DMC feels like the least linear DMC game out so far and I hope any future DMC games bring this back.

DmC- Original I was a hater of this game. I hated the character designs and plot (to be honest I still do. They just don't do it for me.) But when the game came out I decided I should play it before passing any real judgement. When I got the game I actually had a lot of fun at first. I payed attention to the story and I found myself really wanting to skip the cutscense. I also gave Dante his DMC3 costume as soon as I finished my first playthrough. But as I said before the gameplay was fun at first. But after I beat the game once and started again on a harder difficulty the game quickly lost its touch. I found myself using the same combos over and over. I almost never used Ebony and Ivory because they were pretty useless and the gameplay just got really old really fast. Also I didn't really enjoy any of the boss fights. Bob was really the only one that I found a bit fun.

DMC2- I have to this day never finished DMC2 because it just feels so BORING. Every time I start it up I play for an hour and then instantly want to switch over to DMC4 or 3. The attempt to make Dante's movements feel more human just really slows down the gameplay. But I do like Dante's design.

Top Bottom