• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Let it out people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominus

Storm Silves;293536 said:
No, GoW didn't. In fact, I'm fairly certain that the first stylish action game was DMC.

DUH

Also, Lord of Shadows is pretty much old school Castlevania. Old school Castlevania mostly had you go in a straight line or going up or down ladders killing monsters, with a bunch of platforming in between. And I hate how everyone calls EVERY SINGLE ACTION game a GoW clone. Some reviewers even had the nerve to call Bayonetta a GoW clone. Seriously, GoW did not invent action games.

When I'm referencing GOW clone I mean it in the sense of simplistic combat, same dodge mechanics with joystick, lots of QTES, tons of pointless puzzles, excessive gore, platforming, etc, because that is what trademark GOW games have in them. DMC does not have QTES (except Nero's ones), does not have simplistic combat, etc, etc.

If you have played GOW games you would know many of these new action games follow it (I don't know why) instead of forging their own combat mechanics.

Its honestly boring as ****. Who wants to play the same combat mechanics across 3 or so different games... Its basically because people want to look bad ass without putting in the skill and effort, instead they want QTEs, and easy combat..

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
Dominus;293569 said:
DUH

When I'm referencing GOW clone I mean it in the sense of simplistic combat, same dodge mechanics with joystick, lots of QTES, tons of pointless puzzles, excessive gore, platforming, etc, because that is what trademark GOW games have in them. DMC does not have QTES (except Nero's ones), does not have simplistic combat, etc, etc.

If you have played GOW games you would know many of these new action games follow it (I don't know why) instead of forging their own combat mechanics.

Its honestly boring as ****. Who wants to play the same combat mechanics across 3 or so different games... Its basically because people want to look bad ass without putting in the skill and effort, instead they want QTEs, and easy combat..
Yes, I know all about GoW...I own them all. So wait, so when you, "referencing GOW clone I mean it in the sense of simplistic combat, same dodge mechanics with joystick, lots of QTES, tons of pointless puzzles, excessive gore, platforming, etc, because that is what trademark GOW games have in them. DMC does not have QTES (except Nero's ones), does not have simplistic combat, etc, etc" you pretty much just typecasted a whole suite of games. So a game cant have a simplistic combat now or they'll be a GoW? Or they cant have excessive gore? Platforming!? Do you realize how asinine that sounds? And the sad thing is, alot of mainstream people think the same way. Its one thing to be influenced by GoW, to use ideas from it and incorporate it into your owns (which Lord of Shadows do), its another thing to be a clone of GoW, and only one game I've played out of years and years of gaming that ape so hard from GoW and DMC, and that is Darksiders. Seriously, a game is GOING to have SOMETHING similar to a game before it. What do people think Castlevania Symphony of the Night is? That game ape more stuff from Metroid than Lord of Shadows from GoW but no one mentions that.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
People should be comparing all these games to DMC, not that crappy DMC knockoff known as God of War.

Dominus

Esura;293650 said:
What do people think Castlevania Symphony of the Night is? That game ape more stuff from Metroid than Lord of Shadows from GoW but no one mentions that.

Uh people DO acknowledge that Symphony of the Night stole its formula from Metriod, ever hear the term Metroidvania?

I could probably go into more detail why its a GOW clone but honestly its not worth it, you're not going to change your stance based on what I say about the issue (and most people dont).

People should be comparing all these games to DMC, not that crappy DMC knockoff known as God of War.

They compare them because they are set up like GOW. DMC games have no platforming in them and the puzzles are set to a minimum (aka get one thing activate platform etc), which is good because I personally don't like extensive puzzles in my action games (I'm not playing soduku). They also borrow many of the fighting mechanics from GOW for some reason, say in Dante's Inferno you use the joystick to roll, a button to block, a button to grab, two attack buttons (which you can hold for separate moves), finishing QTEs on bosses, etc. They also have the weird QTE platforming mechanics in addition to the climb up and down and around 5000 walls. Its all pretty boring if you ask me, but whatever.

Esura

Dominus;293695 said:
Uh people DO acknowledge that Symphony of the Night stole its formula from Metriod, ever hear the term Metroidvania?

I could probably go into more detail why its a GOW clone but honestly its not worth it, you're not going to change your stance based on what I say about the issue (and most people dont).
Oh go ahead. I LOOOVE to hear this so I can lmfao right now.

They compare them because they are set up like GOW. DMC games have no platforming in them and the puzzles are set to a minimum (aka get one thing activate platform etc), which is good because I personally don't like extensive puzzles in my action games (I'm not playing soduku). They also borrow many of the fighting mechanics from GOW for some reason, say in Dante's Inferno you use the joystick to roll, a button to block, a button to grab, two attack buttons (which you can hold for separate moves), finishing QTEs on bosses, etc. They also have the weird QTE platforming mechanics in addition to the climb up and down and around 5000 walls. Its all pretty boring if you ask me, but whatever.
The thing is, GoW came out in 2004, there was quite a few action games before it that had those mechanics. Puzzles, rolling, blocking, grabing, and two attack buttons are pretty basic mechanics for games in the action genre like DMC and GoW so saying that other games are clones of GoW for using them STILL sounds asinine no matter how you put it. The only mechanic GoW DID invent was QTEs. Santa Monica Studios pretty much used typical action game mechanics, but refined them. Old school beat em up action games HAD rolling, HAD blocking, HAD grabbing, and HAD two attack buttons, typically one being light and one being hard.

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
Esura;293736 said:
The thing is, GoW came out in 2004, there was quite a few action games before it that had those mechanics. Puzzles, rolling, blocking, grabing, and two attack buttons are pretty basic mechanics for games in the action genre like DMC and GoW so saying that other games are clones of GoW for using them STILL sounds asinine no matter how you put it. The only mechanic GoW DID invent was QTEs. Santa Monica Studios pretty much used typical action game mechanics, but refined them. Old school beat em up action games HAD rolling, HAD blocking, HAD grabbing, and HAD two attack buttons, typically one being light and one being hard.

i miss the old school beat'em ups...STREETS OF RAGE 4 LIFE!!!! :lol:

Esura

D.E.Mortal;293815 said:
thnx, btw how duz this rep thingie work?
The rep mechanic is a nice way to show how people in the DMC community appreciates another member and whatnot for their contributions in a thread and stuff. Its pretty meaningless otherwise but its nice when someone agrees and appreciates another person's post. There was a time when people abused the rep system to boost their own ego and e-peen, but Steve and co. put a stop to that.

So I repped you for stating something in a post that I appreciate. More love is needed for Streets of Rage thats for damn sure. :lol:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
The thing that bothers me the most is not really how Dante looks I'm more mad that instead of giving us a story line about how Dante got out of Hell or if Nero really is Virgil's son they give us a reboot. I fell in love with DMC for two reasons.
1. Half human, half demon guy who hunts demons and
2. he uses twosome timing to kill demons.
What more could you ask for?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Crimson Chaos;293323 said:
while the words you speak are true, that's not the only place they went wrong. the series didn't need another prequal unless it was going to explain why we should even except Nero as a new face of the story. Dante doesn't need anymore backstory then dmc3.

i wouldn't mind another prequel because i do like knowing about Dante's past but that depends on whether or not they tell me anything that i didn't know before. Besides i rather a prequel being done as a way to bring Devil may cry to the psp or as a anime.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I will get this DMC game cuz I'm interested in how changing a story that was about a demon saving humans and having kids goes to a guy stuck in a rehabiltion center being tortured into fighing demons. Dante has lost his mind, all those strawberry sundays will do that to u. lol

veg-G

Mmm-hmm.....so what were we talking about again?
JohnBruce;279734 said:
Hi Everyone, I've been a DMC fan since the original Devil May Cry which was SUCH AN AWESOME game! Then I waited long until a sequel was released. Devil may cry 2, It was disappointing, It was DMC but it wasn't just what we all had been waiting for.Then they released DMC 3, which brought back the old fashion of DMC 3, good stuff and introduced Vergil, one of the coolest video-game characters every made! We all wanted him to return. Sadly he never did, well yeah sort-of, in the form of a FREAKING SWORD???. And now this?!! A SHI.TTY REBOOT WHATEVER. FU.CK YOU NINJA THEORY F.UCK YOU. GIVE US DANTE BACK.

Sorry, had to say that HAHAHA..

Awesome series btw, gotta play dmc 3 again.

"oh my god! the reboot dante is like so cool! you don't know what you're talking about. its Ninja Theory!!! they're the best.....they made heavenly sword and enslaved.
why are there so many people like you who cry because your lame and cheesy japanese dante got changed into a finally cool more human dante with real battle damage! go back and play the old games then you noob"

I'm just kidding! it was a quote some biatch wrote something like that to me when i said i didn't like the new DmC teaser trailer.

she was all up in my face and stuff.
i don't like the new game either. so i understand ya
. ^_^

Crimson Chaos

chaos breeds within
nvm, didn't see the red. lol emo characters anger my soul, i thought you meant that. emo dante makes me wanna hurt small animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom