• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Legitimate question about the ending [Mild Spoilers?]

zaselim

To me the game was good because i played it by thinking that i'm not playing a DMC game but a spin off or a clone. The gameplay is better than the previous DMCs, the GFX is also good, the game even started in a good way. Overall the game is good but Dante part still makes me sad because of his half shaved head like hairstyle (don't care about the white color, he even got it in the end) Why Vergil and dante's hair color different, they were twins, to answer that i thought may be because dante inherited his father's(demon) side more and vergil inherited his mother's(angel) so may be white represents angel and black represents demon. But in the end he got white hairs permanently out of the blue. o and yeah, No bad ass fighting of vergil like dmc3.
The thing i like the most is combos, man they are longer, cool, awesome and fun to do.
I know from the beginning that despite they make dante terrible but the game will going to be awesome because Heavenly Sword was awesome, Enslaved was also awesome. But i didn't like ending of both these games because somehow i wanted nariko to survive but it was her fate to die in the end. And i don't nkow, Please tell me what was that end in enslaved ( bunch of people standing doing nothing and listing to something, it's been long time and don't remember the ending entirely but i thought it was kind'a incomplete.

Now the DMC ending, i think it was bad because of the reasons:
Vergil's char was weak from the beginning to end, Original Vergil was bad ass.
In the end he decided to rule the world out the blue ( i knew he'll say something like that in end when i started playing cause the original Vergil had somewhat similar plan (if i remember correctly he actually wanted to destroy the demon world or wanted to rule it or both human and demon world). But dmc3 showed us Vergil's not a back stabbing kind'a guy.
They ending was incomplete may be because they want to conclude it in DLC which ****es me off more. Or may be they want to make a sequel and they want vergil to take part in it some way.

In the end i think overall the game is good and if it gets 8-9 then i will not be surprised. But i think if dmc3 were to released in this generation or with same (story, gameplay,gfx like dmc2013, By Ninja Theory) and dante/vergil then it would be alot better than DMC 2013.
If anyone doesn't agree with me then i completely respects his/her opinion because everyone has his/her own opinion and non of them is wrong. Everyone has its own taste in games. Cheers, Already waiting for the sequel lolz

8BitHero

Scrub
They are mad because there is no resolution. I will use DMC 3 as an example, Vergil defeated, Dante cries, and shop is opened. We have resolution due to the fact we see Dante opened his shop and is going to fight demons in the future. We have sequel hook because running a demon shop means more adventures (and the post credit Vergil scene helps to) This ending might as well just be Dante cries the end. We don't know what he does after, we don't know (yet) what Vergil goes off and does. There is no resolution to the events the game started. It's kinda like if the game randomly ended halfway through the story your just left going "...wait what?"
There was a resolution though. Dante thought himself and Vergil were fighting for the same goal. They defeated Mundus. The end. That was the whole point of the story. How can you say there wasn't a resolution when there clearly was(Mundus dethroned). What happens with Dante and Vergil now is the next chapter. But DmC1 had it's resolution.

I still get get my people are saying "Original Vergil had this" and "Original Vergil had that". Aren't past the point where "newDante has black hair/original Vergil had this" now? If you didn't like the ending I get it, but it still finished up their goal.

majeh116

There was a resolution though. Dante thought himself and Vergil were fighting for the same goal. They defeated Mundus. The end. That was the whole point of the story. How can you say there wasn't a resolution when there clearly was(Mundus dethroned). What happens with Dante and Vergil now is the next chapter. But DmC1 had it's resolution.

I still get get my people are saying "Original Vergil had this" and "Original Vergil had that". Aren't past the point where "newDante has black hair/original Vergil had this" now? If you didn't like the ending I get it, but it still finished up their goal.
Please note I said "They are mad" not "I am mad" I personally have no issues with the ending I was explaining the perspective of someone who didn't like it and how they saw it. I believe that the problem is that even though they finished their original goal instead of leaving it at that they introduced a new goal in the ending itself which is why I think people dislike it.

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer

I'm hugely disappointed because I expected so much from NT who developed awesome titles like HS and Enslaved! From what I've known, Capcom hired them mainly to tell the story. So, couldn't they have wrote something better instead of that crappy ending? Also, didn't IGN wrote something like NT are the best stroy teller in the gaming industry? I thought NT learned their lesson from their previous title, Enslaved. The ending of that game was also cliffhanger and very unsatisfying. WTF!

IMO that's the problem with NT's story telling. The start and journey of the character is great and you get attached to the character but the ending happens so quick that you are left wondering wtf just happened? All in all, DmC's ending just lacked the final knock out blow to end the awesome fight show!

zaselim

Oh yeah one more thing i wanted to mention, Ninja Theory not only ruined Vergil they also ruined Sparda's Legend.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
I'm hugely disappointed because I expected so much from NT who developed awesome titles like HS and Enslaved! From what I've known, Capcom hired them mainly to tell the story. So, couldn't they have wrote something better instead of that crappy ending? Also, didn't IGN wrote something like NT are the best stroy teller in the gaming industry? I thought NT learned their lesson from their previous title, Enslaved. The ending of that game was also cliffhanger and very unsatisfying. WTF!

IMO that's the problem with NT's story telling. The start and journey of the character is great and you get attached to the character but the ending happens so quick that you are left wondering wtf just happened? All in all, DmC's ending just lacked the final knock out blow to end the awesome fight show!

just like to point out that the story here was the dethroning of mundus. this IS accomplished int he game. quite well infact. the two brothers work out a plan, exact it. adapt to new situations together and bring him down. then is the after math. what? you thought "ooh they'll kill the god king of hell and everything will be ladidadia" chapter 20 is looking at what happens when you dethrone a god. someone has to fill the void. Vergil wants to do it. he wants to be the new god-king with dante and together they will rule humanity and treat them kindly. which is nice. but your trading one kind of opression for another. defeating the entire purpose of the game. so the two fight, it starts out slow at first but escalated slowly until you have no clue how ur gonna dodge Vergil. it was the most intense fight ive had in a DMC game since the final of Vergil of DMC3. not as good mind you but to be even compared to it is pretty good praise in my books.. Dante asks Vergil to stop and change his mind. more than once. but Vergil is having none of that. they continue until Dante wins and Vergil walks off lost and purposeless.

just because this is the first game that has a real sense of continuity doesnt mean NT cant tell a story. if you do count DMC4 then its the 2nd but thats niether here nor there. point is now we FINALLY have some clarity. no Dante didnt make the world heaven but he freed it.

if what we saw is any indicator, now Dante is gonna have to protect the planet from Demons at the least. he may probably need demon hunters to join him. he'll feel guilty that he caused this, even if it did free humanity. furthermore, it'd leave him questioning whether if he had joined Vergil would it have been better or was it worth it.

Oh yeah one more thing i wanted to mention, Ninja Theory not only ruined Vergil they also ruined Sparda's Legend.

you say they ruined spardas legacy? how? by making him less than the probably invincible yet somehow not demon god. if they had made him that, mundus would have lost to him in that initial confrontation. hell, now we know he can be freed and who know we may even get him to SPEAK sometime. the core of sparda is the same, a demon who fell in love and was punished for it. he had twin sons who he entrusted with his power and then vanished.

Frazz

General gamer
It was a good ending to me. I think you need to play the whole game first to appreciate it. I hope there is a full sequel, like really hope for a sequel but who knows!
YOUR OPINION IS NOT FACT! They portrayed Vergil in DmC like DMC3 Vergil but in a realistic way - as if he were a real person so they have not ruined him in my opinion but rather made him more believable.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
They are mad because there is no resolution. I will use DMC 3 as an example, Vergil defeated, Dante cries, and shop is opened. We have resolution due to the fact we see Dante opened his shop and is going to fight demons in the future. We have sequel hook because running a demon shop means more adventures (and the post credit Vergil scene helps to) This ending might as well just be Dante cries the end. We don't know what he does after, we don't know (yet) what Vergil goes off and does. There is no resolution to the events the game started. It's kinda like if the game randomly ended halfway through the story your just left going "...wait what?"

See that's quite wrong. The only reason people feel DMC3 worked so well was because it was a prequel that led into something everyone already knew. DMC3's conclusion leads into the rest of the series, so it's unfair to compare it to a story that only has the singular entry. Yes, it wraps up okay with him opening his shop but in DmC Dante subdues Vergil and tells him the world is under his (Dante's) protection now. And what are now running around everywhere in plain sight? All the demons that existed in Limbo. You think they just went away? Dante now has his hands full exterminating the rest of the demons and protecting humanity. DmC's ending showed how the brothers become at odds, what lies ahead in Dante's own future, and what the rest of the world will experience and endure. Even Phineas hints at things not just being all peaches and gravy after killing Mundus, because as they say "destroying evil just gives another evil a chance to take its place." (Highlight to read spoilers :p)

I swear to god, nowadays everybody just wants everything to be spelled out for them, as if they have no imagination whatsoever. It's an ending that actually makes you use your brain a little and ponder all the events in the story and how they affect what is to come afterwards. People will call it a cop out, but they'd be people not using their brains, it's an open-ended conclusion because it breeds discussion and theory among the fans, makes them feel like part of the process, and emphasizes bringing the fan into that conclusion.

Like Mass Effect 3's ending - it's entirely based on everything your Shepard did to save the galaxy, and allows you, the player, to think of just how things would go after the Reapers were defeated. Your experiences play into how you feel everything else will be after the credits roll.

Oh, and Ninja Theory wasn't simply hired for their story-telling, but the presentation of their stories as well :/

btmudd28

It's not a bad ending, necessarily, it's just rushed and inconclusive, with some shallow dialogue choices, randomness on Vergil's part, and unexplained cruelty on Dante's part. It's one of those scenes that either should not have happened at all (as in, the game ends with Mundus's defeat and a brief wrap up "into the future" epilogue) or, if it had to happen, should have been much more extensive. It's this hugely important turning point for all the characters that was tacked on to the last ten minutes of the game like an afterthought. And even if Vergil's Downfall improves it, people are going to be very annoyed you have to preorder or pay extra for a finished plot. DLC is supposed to be unnecessary, but fun, bonus additions to a game, not critical to its story's completion.

Loved the ending. Vergil's disdain for humans is hinted at throughout the game; I noticed without even having known how the game ends. Like the scene in Under Siege when Vergil is quite content leaving Kat behind because she's expendable. I do not think Vergil's ascension to the throne was "random" at all, it made sense in the context. Regardless of whether it was foreshadowed or not, it was not random. It was explained in that scene, that humans are weak. He never shows any care towards Kat really, as I noted earlier because she's expendable to him. (Granted, that is without having read the Vergil prologue comic.)

My point is, that Vergil's need for power is inherent to his character. Just because it wasn't noted in this game, it's a key aspect of his character that was clearly brought over from the previous series. I think NT did a sufficient job with Vergil's arc, and that scene is all that's really needed to explain Vergil's true motives, they didn't have to be explained earlier!

It's not a bad ending, necessarily, it's just rushed and inconclusive, with some shallow dialogue choices, randomness on Vergil's part, and unexplained cruelty on Dante's part.

And as far as Dante's cruelty? HE CLEARLY LOSES CONTROL WHEN HE'S IN DEVIL TRIGGER! It's brand new to him, he doesn't have a full grasp of his powers and clearly has trouble controlling it. Just because it isn't explicitly stated, does not mean it isn't the case. It's pretty clear that his demon side is just a mindless killing machine that he can't control.

Overall, I really enjoyed the ending. It closes the story of the game and sets things up for the future. Limbo has collapsed into the real world and now humans are facing a more physical threat, rather than the manipulation of Mundus. Now that there are demons in the real world, Dante can start hunting them a la his Devil May Cry shop. Although this Dante doesn't seem to be the type to only help those that can pay up, but I'm sure NT will work something out. Great game though, loved every second of it. Off to SoS mode!

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Vergil's intentions weren't random. You get this inkling that he's a cold mother when he does things later in the game. He has a plan, he's sticking to it, and he has little care for anyone other than their use in his plans. He conned Dante into doing almost all of the dirty work. Seeing things from Dante's perspective, how are you ever supposed to know what Vergil intended to do once Mundus was out of the picture? Aside from everyone being able to see that "some way, somehow, Vergil will screw Dante over" because we knew it was part of his character to be at odds with his brother. The only way I'd say Vergil's betrayal was "random" is if you weren't paying attention :/

And I have no clue where it could be conceived of Dante being inexplicably cruel. Are we talking about at the end when he subdued Vergil? If so, he just engaged his brother in a life or death battle because Vergil wanted to rule over humankind, Dante consigned himself to the fact that he may have to kill his own brother to prevent just that, and was about to end his brother's life until Kat protested.

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
Loved the ending. Vergil's disdain for humans is hinted at throughout the game; I noticed without even having known how the game ends.

My point is, that Vergil's need for power is inherent to his character. Just because it wasn't noted in this game, it's a key aspect of his character that was clearly brought over from the previous series. I think NT did a sufficient job with Vergil's arc, and that scene is all that's really needed to explain Vergil's true motives, they didn't have to be explained earlier!

The only way I'd say Vergil's betrayal was "random" is if you weren't paying attention :/

It's not Vergil's coldness or disdain for humans that was random, I agree that it was very neatly foreshadowed. It was his idiotic confession of his true motives. Just like we spent the game observing Vergil's indifference to Kat, Vergil spent it watching Dante's attachment to her grow. He knew Dante's feelings about freedom for mankind because he was sitting right there when Dante broke it down for Mundus. He also knew Dante was stronger than he was in a straight fight, hence why Dante dominated the battle with Mundus while Vergil got lolcaptured. So Vergil, who is supposed to be the "smarter" twin, who spent the entire game deceiving both Dante and Kat, used all this intelligence he gathered to suddenly blurt out "Hey, Dante, I'm going to do something I know for a fact you hate, wanna come over here and beat me stupid for it?" That's random to me. It was crowbarred in there to spur the final fight, and didn't make sense based on Vergil's previous characterization.

And as far as Dante's cruelty? HE CLEARLY LOSES CONTROL WHEN HE'S IN DEVIL TRIGGER! It's brand new to him, he doesn't have a full grasp of his powers and clearly has trouble controlling it. Just because it isn't explicitly stated, does not mean it isn't the case. It's pretty clear that his demon side is just a mindless killing machine that he can't control.

Yes, it's clear that Dante was out of control, but what makes him regain control is ridiculous. Kat's argument for mercy isn't "He's your only family and we both owe him our lives and purpose". He stops only because Kat says "pretty please for me". That's cruel, to me, because it gave the impression that he spared his brother as a favor to Kat, not because it was, well, his brother and the right thing to do. It made me facepalm so hard. There were so many ways that awkwardness could have been avoided, and it made Dante seem like a tool, to me, at least.

If so, he just engaged his brother in a life or death battle because Vergil wanted to rule over humankind, Dante consigned himself to the fact that he may have to kill his own brother to prevent just that, and was about to end his brother's life until Kat protested.

Correct, rule over mankind. Not destroy mankind, not brainwash mankind, not feast on mankind's beating hearts. It's one thing for Dante to give Vergil a sound beating to let him know he was stronger and would be standing in the way of any attempt to take over; it's another thing to murder him for a non-violent ambition Vergil's years away from achieving. It was a clear overreaction due to Dante's lack of control over his trigger, and like I said above, what made it cruel to me was not that it happened in the first place, but the shallow method it took to stop Dante.

btmudd28

Righto, darkmanifest. I definitely see your points now, sorry if the tone in my reply came across so aggressively with the caps and exclamation points haha. But yeah, I definitely see what you're getting at now.

zaselim

It was a good ending to me. I think you need to play the whole game first to appreciate it. I hope there is a full sequel, like really hope for a sequel but who knows!

YOUR OPINION IS NOT FACT! They portrayed Vergil in DmC like DMC3 Vergil but in a realistic way - as if he were a real person so they have not ruined him in my opinion but rather made him more believable.

what are you taking about, what believable? for the fact in what way demon and angel's sons are real to you. The game is fiction and they didn't portrayed Vergil in DMC like DMC3, Go play dmc3 again, Did you even play New DMC, in what way Vergil was ever scared in DMC3, he was in DMC 2013 when they were their headquarter when attacked and there are couple of more reason but i don't wanna argue over a game and i just gave my opinion as said the game is GOOD and i had fun. Sorry but i can't agree with you here.

zaselim

[quote="
you say they ruined spardas legacy? how? by making him less than the probably invincible yet somehow not demon god. if they had made him that, mundus would have lost to him in that initial confrontation. hell, now we know he can be freed and who know we may even get him to SPEAK sometime. the core of sparda is the same, a demon who fell in love and was punished for it. he had twin sons who he entrusted with his power and then vanished.[/quote]

Sir i said Legend not a legacy , there's some difference in both. Your are taking invincible i think he is more like invisible in new DMC. (Core)The story begins with Sparda's legend that how he protected humans (NT missed this part of the story) and also fell in love with opposite race and had two children then. Later people compared Dante with Sparda that Dante became more powerful then Sparda, in New DMC sparda isn't even close to New Dante who still learning and i think he still has to unlock his full potential after the end so can you compare Dante with Sparda. In a way verhil was stronger than Dante in DMC3, its like Sparda then Vergil then Dante, after dante's awakening it became Sparda then Dante then Vergil and after DMC2 or in DMC4 Dante was more powerful than both Sparda and Vergil.
Bro believe me the game was fun i really enjoyed it played 2 times already and i'm looking for the aequel But i can't agree with you here, You can't where Ninja Theory went wrong even if they make a better dmc game in other aspects but in story section Naaa..Cheers.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
I think I figured out Vergil's logic.

He told Dante his plan because he honestly thought Dante would side with him. He thought his twin brother would see things his way. But Dante always felt a huge connection with humanity, and told Vergil his plan was sociopathic and wrong.
Vergil took exception to that, and the fight commenced

BTW, is Vergil's lightning power an angel ability?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I think I figured out Vergil's logic.

He told Dante his plan because he honestly thought Dante would side with him. He thought his twin brother would see things his way. But Dante always felt a huge connection with humanity, and told Vergil his plan was sociopathic and wrong.
Vergil took exception to that, and the fight commenced

Exactly. Vergil thought the bonds of family would have been stronger, along with being the only of their kind. However, while Vergil prided himself on being a Nephilim, Dante was more concerned with his humanity.

BTW, is Vergil's lightning power an angel ability?

I always figure stuff like that is a by-product of two powerful forces clashing, just rampant energy exerted that affects the world - sorta like how Dante could control Limbo a little with his Devil Trigger.

Top Bottom