• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Just how is the game slow?

GF9000000Returns

This is for the nostalgiafan/fags. Just tell me how? I've played the demo a million times now plus DMC3 without the Turbo Mode and I really don't see anything wrong with the DmC gameplay, I really don't see it slow.

So yeah, ask me old fans. HOW?

m100t8s

You're probably the type of person who can't tell the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS games, Like one of my friends. However I'm the type of person who can really see the differences between the games that runs at 30FPS and 60FPS.

And man. Watch this video, And tell me if you can do these crazeyh combos in DmC

GF9000000Returns

OMG I'm so tired of the "oh can DmC Dante do this?" crap. Okay I get it, but come on, DmC is good in its own way. The game don't exactly have to be almost the same as the original ones.

JoshMoshes

DMC Aficionado
This is for the nostalgiafan/fags. Just tell me how? I've played the demo a million times now plus DMC3 without the Turbo Mode and I really don't see anything wrong with the DmC gameplay, I really don't see it slow.

So yeah, ask me old fans. HOW?

DmC just isn't as "fast" as DMC when you play it like a "hardcore player". I'm guessing most of the people who complain about DmC's combat speed are either quick with the slight of hand in action games, extremely used to DMC jump canceling, true style enthusiast/players, etc. DmC without a doubt isn't as fast as DMC (even without turbo mode) but this doesn't make it an overall bad thing. It depends on the player preference.

DmC isn't slow either. If anything, its an over exaggeration from people who are used to the original DMC speed.

Rumors

You're probably the type of person who can't tell the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS games, Like one of my friends. However I'm the type of person who can really see the differences between the games that runs at 30FPS and 60FPS.

Sadly your friends have their points.
Cause fps and gamespeed are different subjects.
DmC also has a 60fps version which we call PC edition but it wont make the gameplay any faster

If you can do 30 moves in 1 second you can still get respond from a 30fps game (with no frame drop)
That means you have 30 keyframes instead 60 which wont effect DMC games. (It is more like for fighting games like Umvc3)

For single player games more frames are about smooth graphics.
To me DmC is a little bit slower.

Difference between 30&60: http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

8BitHero

Scrub
It's not to do with the FPS (though that is a contributing factor). It's slow in terms of attack animation speed (how fast Dante swipes his sword) and how fast you move around the controller getting to the next point of the combo.
DmC is very....tame. Nothing too crazy and the buffering is pretty annoying. It's not bad, but it's not fast. I'll give you an example.
Seems like everyone is reppin' ChaserTech:

DmC doesn't move at that speed. I love DmC though and I'll probably do a hands video on that, but I know that's nowhere near as fast as that. But yes, FPS is also a factor as to what's slow about the game.

m100t8s

Sadly your friends have their points.
Cause fps and gamespeed are different subjects.
DmC also has a 60fps version which we call PC edition but it wont make the gameplay any faster

If you can do 30 moves in 1 second you can still get respond from a 30fps game (with no frame drop)
That means you have 30 keyframes instead 60 which wont effect DMC games. (It is more like for fighting games like Umvc3)

For single player games more frames are about smooth graphics.
To me DmC is a little bit slower.

Difference between 30&60: http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/
I never said that fps and gamespeed are the same subjects, But thanks for the reply anyway :D

GF9000000Returns

DmC just isn't as "fast" as DMC when you play it like a "hardcore player". I'm guessing most of the people who complain about DmC's combat speed are either quick with the slight of hand in action games, extremely used to DMC jump canceling, true style enthusiast/players, etc. DmC without a doubt isn't as fast as DMC (even without turbo mode) but this doesn't make it an overall bad thing. It depends on the player preference.

What you said now really made me start to understand where the old fans are coming from, but like I said again DmC is good in its own way. If it was almost the exact same like DMC4 I think most of us would be done with the DMC franchise completely. I think the style of original DMC is almost outta style since after 4 came out and now came with a new style which IMO Capcom and NT are doing great at.

DmC isn't slow either. If anything, its an over exaggeration from people who are used to the original DMC speed.

That's what I also said to myself too, the old fans are just nitpicking and over-exaggerating sh*t.

DarkSlayer54

For me, DmC is faster paced.
If I had to categorize DMC games from slowest to fastest, it would be DMC2 < DMC1 < DMC3 < DmC

I never got into JC'ing in any game... I always just found it annoy to do (I could only do it once out of every 3-4 tries).

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I, being one of those people who can't tell between 30 and 60 FPS, give exactly zero f*cks about the "speed" the game plays at. If anything, I think it plays at exactly the same speed as DMC3 and 4. I'm no pro gamer, I don't abuse the **** out of the game with Jump Canceling and "Just Frames", because to me that just feels like cheating. Plus I'm just bad at it in general, so, yeah, there's that...

Blacknerd

You know I dont really get ****ed at anything DMC vs DmC but what really grinds my gears is the constant posting of these truestyle combo videos vs DmC demo or stage demo gameplay. I even talked to some dude on youtube who made a "comparison" of a DMC 4 turbo mode combo video with the DmC demo and I stated. That its not fair to compare a completed project with all the unlocks and weapons on a pro level combo video against a simple combo demonstration with a limited set of moves and weapons.

It isnt fair to compare this to this based on these simple unfair comparisons youve placed. DMC4 on turbo mode combo videos are the not "true gameplay" its the combo video of a DMC enthusiast playing the game at a very high speed and pace. The DmC demo is a sample of the gameplay but not finished as of this time and is just an average person playing the demo for fun not for combos or this whole epeen factor that people get from doing combo videos with hack n slash games. If you truely want to compare these games in terms of pace nad speed then do this. Get a video of DMC 4 mission blah blah on the set difficutly. Then get DmC mission blah blah on the same terms and then you can compare the speed and play. It only makes sense on an even playing feiled rather than Brea true style against joesmohe walkthrough of DmC.

Or Or do this DmC on pc with all the 60-120fps you want against DMC 4 pc so you can get a speed comparison.

All im going to say about DmC is its not slow what so ever. Its pacing is what makes it so different than DMC 3-4 because of how DmCs combat system works in comparison. The pace may be steadier but it is not slow. Hell I never looked at DMC 3 or 4 and was like oh my god I need this max 60fps to do these complex combos to prove some point to someone and show off my major skills at an action game if there is no 60fps then the game sucks hands down. No I looked at it like this. This is fun I enjoy this since im a fan of this game I can do a bit more crazy stuff compared to the next casual but its still fun on my terms. I dont need some game breaking mechanics to beat the game on a harder difficulty either. I play it without the help of that or anyone else playing the game the way I chose makes it fun. I got annoyed when I read a comment on a dmc3 walkthrough where someone complained about him not being stylish enough not doing enough j/cing and they need to watch breas videos to understand.

Also ill say this I wont talk about how I feel about combo videos for action games cause itll be very pointless lol. All im gonna say is I dont care for them but I do not hate them or the people doing them. Done

ChaserTech

And man. Watch this video, And tell me if you can do these crazeyh combos in DmC

Hey that's my vid. :D

edit: To be fair though, it's not smart to compare this video to DmC when the gameplay in the video was played in Turbo mode.

Meg

I found walkthrough videos of levels for each game. They are both on the same difficulty level. In the DmC video the guy uses the heavier/slower weapon a lot, but this should be good enough to get the point.

*disappears into smoke* :steve:

ChaserTech

I, being one of those people who can't tell between 30 and 60 FPS, give exactly zero f*cks about the "speed" the game plays at. If anything, I think it plays at exactly the same speed as DMC3 and 4. I'm no pro gamer, I don't abuse the **** out of the game with Jump Canceling and "Just Frames", because to me that just feels like cheating. Plus I'm just bad at it in general, so, yeah, there's that...

Alright, I'm sorry to call you out on this but this ****ed me off. . .
Really? Jump Cancelling, Just frames? Cheating?

So your essentially calling all of someone's hard work gaining skill in executing advanced techniques....cheating?

See... this is why I can't stand gamers these days. That post right there.
People like that constantly believe just because you are doing something that "looks broken" means that it's cheating. When some of these implications weren't glitches to begin with.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Alright, I'm sorry to call you out on this but this ****ed me off. . .
Really? Jump Cancelling, Just frames? Cheating?

So your essentially calling all of someone's hard work gaining skill in executing advanced techniques....cheating?

See... this is why I can't stand gamers these days. That post right there.
People like that constantly believe just because you are doing something that "looks broken" means that it's cheating. When some of these implications weren't glitches to begin with.

HEAR HEAR!

Exploiting a bug in something like WoW during an end game battle that makes a battle infinitly easier by breaking the designed mechanics is cheating. Learning the painstaking timing and developing the skill to learn and mastering something like canceling to improve your damage ratios, combo streaks AND rank building is not CHEATING, it's mastering the system.

I spent half an hour alone in the demo testing and learning the timing for Just Charges with OverDrive, Ricoshot and Raze. I haven't even begun with JC yet, because of my time limits except the weekends when I'm off work...and even that got screwed for this next month. People who can master that kind of gameplay ain't cheating, they're bending teh system over their knee and rightfully making it their bitch.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
I found walkthrough videos of levels for each game. They are both on the same difficulty level. In the DmC video the guy uses the heavier/slower weapon a lot, but this should be good enough to get the point.

*disappears into smoke* :steve:
I was tempted to upload a DmC vid sped up 20% to see what it looks like compared but I guess this works too xD

ChaserTech

Why...why can't anyone just use a normal speed gameplay video from DMC3 and DMC4 instead of turbo if you want to compare the speed to DmC. The only person how I've seen done that recently is AlexxShadenk

By the way. The tittle was sarcasm.

I saw that video awhile back and honestly, it isn't fluid. Or at least not as fluid as the previous games.

Certain transitions between Dante's attacks are more inconsistent than others. The only time when I feel as if combat is fluid is when I do a regular combo that is preprogrammed within the game (Combo A, Combo B etc.) But if you're switching between other attacks, Dante will immediately snap into the initial animated sequence for that move. Rather than smoothly transitioning to it. But in DMC4, (almost) no matter what, Dante had a transition between every attack which blended fairly well together. And this is with Dante's current weapons and styles in DMC4 compared to Dante's demo moveset.

No turbo mode, played on a console.

As I stated before, Rebellion doesn't seem to have any weight behind it when Dante swings his sword. The only weapon that feels at if it has weight to it is Arbiter since it's a heavy weapon. There are a lot of inconsistency between Dante attacking since there is a lot of pausing between attacks. Like when you use Osiris, it "feels" slow because Dante has to wind-up a lot of his attacks. But truthfully, it's not that slow. It's just has inconsistent pacing that feels slow.

That's why I don't like DmC's gameplay. It's not consistent and it feels really clunky to me when I play it at a high level during the demo. Inputs are sometimes poorly read (like charging E&I for example), auto lock on forces me to target an enemy that I didn't want to target, and etc.

ninjaa93

i guess calling people fags is cool..... but the issue here is proper combo video comparisons even though some of these same true style players have done DmCvids as well regardless while the game is fluid and fun its slower pro video or not especially to people who play gamed like umvc3 or dmc3 all the time

Top Bottom