• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I've tried to play DMC 4 after DmC again...

MichiGen

After I've invested about 50 hours into the new DmC, I've started up DMC 4 after a long time and I was really surprised.
I thought that I'll jump right into the action but apparently I was wrong.

Everything just feels...clumsy or dated? I don't know. But it was harder to get into it. The character movement was significantly slower than in DmC. I've remembered DMC 4 as an extremely fast paced hack'n slash action, but it feels slower than DmC now (although, that's without turbo mode activated).And necessity for pressing the LOCK-ON button during the combat now feels annoying.
When DMC 4 came out on the PC I had a really great time with it, but after playing DmC for so long, now I realize that I'm enjoying its combat system more.
I can't understand how some people can claim that the combat system is simplified. They obviously haven't played DmC, or they forgot (like me) how the combat in older DMCs actually is.

I made a little comparison:

Main character of DMC4 - Nero (Since you start with him and play around 60% of the game or more he is the main character, not Dante)

Character - 8 abilities
Red Queen sword - 12 combos
(Higher combo upgrades like streak=>streak 2=>ex streak are all considered as one combo, since the combination doesn't change.)
Blue Rose - 2 attacks
Devil Bringer - 4 attacks
Yamato - 4 attacks

(Showdown is missing from list for Yamato since I haven't bought it).

Now you can compare it with DmC skill list

The one thing I don't like is that without the LOCK-ON you can grab or pull yourself towards different enemies than you intended sometimes. Otherwise the combat is definitely an improvement in my opinion.

The game is easier than DMC 3 or 4, but that's a different problem though.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Yes because comparing Nero who has no extra weapons or any styles to DmC's five weapons and three guns is a totally fair comparison.

The older DMC combat is deeper because a handful of guys can jump cancel the same move a thousand times.

You have convinced me of this fact through a statement that has numerous facts behind it and doesn't sound biased at all.

Dante47

It doesn't pick up until you play as Dante.
Nero just doesn't feel right.

But, the game gets so much fun once you take control of Dante.

WorkenOnMaLeft

You have convinced me of this fact through a statement that has numerous facts behind it and doesn't sound biased at all.
Umm what else is there to do with jump cancelling? thatsthe whole point use the fastest attacks in the quickest succession and stay in the air, I understand the concept but it is true that people nowadays seem to assume jump cancelling is the god father or deep combat. DMC3 in my opinion would have been the deepest combat game ever made even to this day if styles were selectable on the fly. That game had it right in my opinion, since the depth came from manipulating the mechanics and eliminating Dantes "dead frames." THAT is depth, DMC4 also had that but its hardly on display since the focus has shifted to air rave>jump>yamato air slash>x10000>lucifer> repeat, game over cause you cant be touched. Again I understand that stuff takes practice as well but it becomes childs play after getting in position and learning the timing.
Also in DmC theres about 60-65 moves, not too far from Dantes in DMC4(who had 80 i believe). 20 moves certainly makes a difference but theres also some useless moves in DMC4 (that jumping ability with Gilgamesh lol what a joke).

ZeroLove

As mentioned above, to compare DmC Dante's gameplay with DMC4 Nero's gameplay is a bit unfair, because... Well, Nero sucks compared to DmC Dante. He can't do as much. Rather compare the two Dante's instead, then it is alot more fair.

ChaserTech

If you're comparing characters, compare DMC4 Dante with DmC Dante with all of their moves. Nero is a completely different character so it's kinda obvious that Nero would feel slower than Dante. I did a comparison video of the two games from the demo version of DmC (the full game and the demo plays at the same exact speeds) and DmC plays a bit slower than DMC4.

Judgement

The skeptical, open-minded, conservative, pacifist
I noticed this as well. Since playing DmC I actually got very bored of it quickly but I pulled through til I beat every difficulty. I then went back to DMC3 and DMC4. With both of those I was greatly displeased. DMC4 though did have a sort of similar feeling as DmC did but it also had a bit more chained down feeling. I'm not big on jump canceling in the other games compared to DmC even though I can say I'm pretty good at it. It just didn't feel right anymore, even though DMC4 still has such good gameplay, now that I am used to the new game. I really wanted to get back into it but find I really can't anymore; not to say I wouldn't be able to get into a DMC5 if it were to come to be but the graphics and feel of DmC are just so new compared to the other games it feels more comfortable.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
After I've invested about 50 hours into the new DmC, I've started up DMC 4 after a long time and I was really surprised.
I thought that I'll jump right into the action but apparently I was wrong.

Everything just feels...clumsy or dated? I don't know. But it was harder to get into it. The character movement was significantly slower than in DmC. I've remembered DMC 4 as an extremely fast paced hack'n slash action, but it feels slower than DmC now (although, that's without turbo mode activated).And necessity for pressing the LOCK-ON button during the combat now feels annoying.
When DMC 4 came out on the PC I had a really great time with it, but after playing DmC for so long, now I realize that I'm enjoying its combat system more.
I can't understand how some people can claim that the combat system is simplified. They obviously haven't played DmC, or they forgot (like me) how the combat in older DMCs actually is.

Main character of DMC4 - Nero (Since you start with him and play around 60% of the game or more he is the main character, not Dante)

Character - 8 abilities
(Higher combo upgrades like streak=>streak 2=>ex streak are all considered as one combo, since the combination doesn't change.)
Blue Rose - 2 attacks
Yamato - 4 attacks

The one thing I don't like is that without the LOCK-ON you can grab or pull yourself towards different enemies than you intended sometimes. Otherwise the combat is definitely an improvement in my opinion.

drunk-baby.jpg

Meg

No offense, but playing a different game for the first time after hours and hours of another and then being surprised it feels really different is ridiculous. Of course you're not going to jump right back into DMC4 after playing a lot of DmC. I had this problem with Dark Souls. When I first started playing it I thought it was slow as hell. Then I played it for 100+ hours and then jumped into some DMC3 and went: "OHMYGOSH!! This is so fast and what the hell I can't keep up! What button do I push? AHHH!" I got so used to Dark Souls controls and speed that even a game like DMC3, which I have also invested 100+ hours into over the years, felt alien and hard to get used it. That isn't the fault of either game though.

That would happen regardless of the game. (Assuming it had different enough controls.) And yes, DmC and DMC4 have pretty different controls. Not to mention, DmC not being faster than a game that came out five years ago would be complete ludicrous.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
I tried playing DMC4 and got my ass kicked right away.

DmC is just easy to learn and moderate to master.

DMC4 is easy to learn and difficult to master.

The difference here is i won't need a life time to master a couple combos.

I prefer the freedom of DmC.

Goldsickle

From the ground up, Devil May Cry's combat mechanics was based on a rejected "Survival Horror" game build (since it was based off a beta of Resident Evil 4, after all).

No matter how much they improved upon the mechanics, at some point, it's going to get all cluttered and clumsy.

Which is why they need to smash down everything they did and rebuild from the ground up with DmC.

Even the Resident Evil series tore down a lot of their staple mechanics.
With Devil May Cry's controls based off old outdated controls of Resident Evil, it makes sense for this franchise to redo their mechanics.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
The difference here is i won't need a life time to master a couple combos.

I prefer the freedom of DmC.

...WHAT. The basic combos aren't that different from DmC's! You HAVE to be trolling, you simply HAVE to be. How hard is "SWORD SWORD SWORD SWORD" and "SWORD SWORD *pause* SWORD SWORD" exactly? All of the most basic of combos in both games boil down to hitting the attack with different variations of timing. The only real difference is that you have to push back on the control and attack to launch somebody into the air and that CANNOT be that hard to do.

I'm more inclined to believe you got your ass kicked right away is because DmC is an overall easier game then DMC4 is.

Dominus

Character - 8 abilities
Blue Rose - 2 attacks
Yamato - 4 attacks

Why didn't you play it on turbo mode if you had the PC version that makes Nero prob twice as fast as DmC Dante. And by your logic NG:B is probably one of the most shallow action games ever because Ryu has a limited number of moves with each weapon and can't quick weapon switch. Let alone you didn't seem to want to compare DMC4 Dante to DmC Dante...

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
No offense, but playing a different game for the first time after hours and hours of another and then being surprised it feels really different is ridiculous. Of course you're not going to jump right back into DMC4 after playing a lot of DmC. I had this problem with Dark Souls. When I first started playing it I thought it was slow as hell. Then I played it for 100+ hours and then jumped into some DMC3 and went: "OHMYGOSH!! This is so fast and what the hell I can't keep up! What button do I push? AHHH!" I got so used to Dark Souls controls and speed that even a game like DMC3, which I have also invested 100+ hours into over the years, felt alien and hard to get used it. That isn't the fault of either game though.

That would happen regardless of the game. (Assuming it had different enough controls.) And yes, DmC and DMC4 have pretty different controls. Not to mention, DmC not being faster than a game that came out five years ago would be complete ludicrous.
This is probably the reason why haters call DmC "****" "Clunky" and the likes, they've spent quite a while on DMC4 and can´t even try to adapt to the new system, the EXACT same would have happened with a DMC5 (Mainly due to changes in dev team)..so I guess his point is fair. All you need is practice with the new system. White Hair or Black Hair =P

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
...WHAT. The basic combos aren't that different from DmC's! You HAVE to be trolling, you simply HAVE to be. How hard is "SWORD SWORD SWORD SWORD" and "SWORD SWORD *pause* SWORD SWORD" exactly? All of the most basic of combos in both games boil down to hitting the attack with different variations of timing. The only real difference is that you have to push back on the control and attack to launch somebody into the air and that CANNOT be that hard to do.

I'm more inclined to believe you got your ass kicked right away is because DmC is an overall easier game then DMC4 is.

Is it so wrong to prefer one game over the other?:/

ChaserTech

This is probably the reason why haters call DmC "****" "Clunky" and the likes, they've spent quite a while on DMC4 and can´t even try to adapt to the new system, the EXACT same would have happened with a DMC5 (Mainly due to changes in dev team)..so I guess his point is fair. All you need is practice with the new system. White Hair or Black Hair =P

I've played DMC4 for quite some time (I also made tutorials. They are in my signature) and after jumping into DmC, it's safe to say that DmC is a bit clunkier than DMC4/DMC3. Mainly due to the pausing, which I explained in my DMC4 vs DmC comparison video. And I've perfectly adapted to the DmC combat system.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
I've played DMC4 for quite some time (I also made tutorials. They are in my signature) and after jumping into DmC, it's safe to say that DmC is a bit clunkier than DMC4/DMC3. Mainly due to the pausing, which I explained in my DMC4 vs DmC comparison video. And I've perfectly adapted to the DmC combat system.

I still don't understand the "clunky" word.

I hate how that word gets thrown around without actually being defined.

Pauses in the animations do not cause the game to be "clunky." That's just the animation style they used. Dante's young so he just throws his sword around unlike Uncle Dante who's had years of practice.

Top Bottom