• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

It seems another Person is interested in continuing DMC.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
The fact that it was one of the highest-selling Devil May Cry games and was also one of the perceived worst. People seemingly bought it on faith alone, and they got burned for it.

It still sold less than DMC1 and there wasn't much resources for people to go by since well Youtube didn't exist nor were websites like IGN as commonly used as it or game reviewing websites and such weren't all that common or used as it is today so it was hard for the public to know what they were getting themselves into. Back most news especially gaming related (ESPECIALLY GAMING RELATED) were spreaded by word of mouth with a majority of the people. If anything DmC's low sales would be a factor of how completely different video gaming media and information gathering is so advanced now so people can get info better.

If this was 2003-2006 DmC may have sold a bit better although people would be confused on what it was (although some people to this day are still confused) and something like DMC2 would've sold worst and DMC3 sold better if released under conditions of now.

IncarnatedDemon

You know it ****es me off how someone out of buthurtness over that reboot did not sell well, make a claim that "Fans will buy dmc5 if its stamped with Dante", and instead of calling him Dante he adds "classic" or "old" as if it the character is something of the past.
My point with Youtube is that back in 2003 the internet was not as big as it is now. If a game was crap chances of you noticing it was significantly less. So you made a purchase in hopes that the game was good, unless you had tried the demo.

And to make that claim is just patronizing in itself. That dmc fans are just sheeps.
Really? If they were they would have sucked up to the reboot. But they didn't.
Didn't reboot have a guy named Dante with white hair , very similar coat and arsenal, devil trigger, and similar story. So why did they not like the guy? He was Dante no?

And as always we bring Hideki Kamiya into it.
How much did W101 sell, did many fanboys buy Wii U for it?
How much did Bayo 1 sell?

Instead of admiting "Maybe reboot was not that great gameplay and storywise, and that may been a significant factor to it's sales", you blame "Dante wasnt in it. Dem fanboys".

* this discussion. I refuse to continue when you bring bs into it, and mention Kamiya as if Kamiya has anything to do with it.

Then there is educating me of how people love a character. Please... i am so big fan of Dante that i would rather him to perish than see him be milked. I rather see him step aside for Nero than become pure catering.

continue without me. Now if youll excuse me ill leave...

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Juuuuuuust buttin' in real quick to confirm this, because DmC was indeed Inafune's idea:
"Everything began at the Capcom offices in Osaka. Keiji Inafune, then head of production supervising all games published by the company, proposed one possible line of enquiry: "If we produced the new Devil May Cry in the United Kingdom or the Untied States, what would it look like then?" While the producer's intentions seemed rather vague, Capcom Japan took the issue seriously and got in touch with the American side of the company."Source: Devil May Cry - A Divine Comedy

So basically;

Capcom team: "Alright guys; we got our plans for DMC5, so now we'll begin--"

*Inafune kicks in the door*

Inafune: "Alright, faggots, shut the f*ck up and listen! What if Devil May Cry was made....wait for it...IN THE WEST!!"

Capcom team: "Uhhh--"

Inafune: "Shut up, we're doing it anyway!"

And that's how DmC was born.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
In fact, I think that's one of the reasons UMVC3 sold so well. Yes there were other reasons, but to this day, I still believe that MVC3 sold very well because a **** ton of the DMC fandom bought it because it had classic Dante while the reboot was announced.

And UMVC3 sold good because Vergil was in it.

UMVC3 only sold like 600,000 units and I don't know perhaps a ton of people who bought MVC3 wanted the BETTER version of it. It was just Vergil it was the fact UMVC3 was a far more balanced and patched up version of MVC3.....you know the version that is super broken and unbalanced as hell.

Sunaka Marién

So basically;

Inafune: "Alright, faggots, shut the f*ck up and listen! What if Devil May Cry was made....wait for it...IN THE WEST!!"

No, not quite:
"Why Relaunch the License?
Only five or six month after starting work, the idea of a reboot became evident. (...)DMC4 sold a total of 2.7 million copies worldwide. Their rival's games in the same genre, however, achieved sales of 4-5 million units. As he (Eshiro) told Siliconera blog: "We've done Devil May Cry 1-4 and they keep getting better with each iteration, but rather than waiting for things to go badly and then trying to give it a rebirth we thought it would be an interesting challange to try to do something new with it while it's still quite viable(...)"

Idk, but it sounds more like they were thinking about what to do next and the thought of a reboot of somet sort had already been there, just giving it to a wester developer was something Inafune suggested. At least that's how I understand it *shrugs*

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
So basically;

Then he leaves the company right before the game is announced.....yeah that sounds pretty fishy.

He knew the sh*tstorm he could've caused and left Capcom making sure none of the blame goes to him.

He steered the ship into an iceberg and jumped ship before impact.

I reward Keiji Inafune with the...........

5648461512_34a929ffaa_z.jpg

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
You know it ****es me off how someone out of buthurtness over that reboot did not sell well, make a claim that "Fans will buy dmc5 if its stamped with Dante", and instead of calling him Dante he adds "classic" or "old" as if it the character is something of the past.

Oh hey Kettle. My name is Pot and I'm calling you black.

And to make that claim is just patronizing in itself. That dmc fans are just sheeps.

There you go again, putting words in my mouth.

Cause Classic Dante wasn't on the cover.

Didn't reboot have a guy named Dante with white hair , very similar coat and arsenal, devil trigger, and similar story. So why did they not like the guy? He was Dante no?

Don't act stupid. You know why.

And as always we bring Hideki Kamiya into it.

Just like how you bring up the reboot when DMC3-4 is being attacked?

How much did W101 sell, did many fanboys buy Wii U for it?
How much did Bayo 1 sell?

Should I be giving a damn?

Instead of admiting "Maybe reboot was not that great gameplay and storywise, and that may been a significant factor to it's sales", you blame "Dante wasnt in it. Dem fanboys".

I never said DmC was the best game ever in case you hadn't noticed. I just said that Classic Dante would've been accepted for a DMC5 because of the reboot.

Then there is educating me of how people love a character. Please... i am so big fan of Dante that i would rather him to perish than see him be milked. I rather see him step aside for Nero than become pure catering.

And yet, this is probably in your library of games.
DMC4-Cover-Art-nero-11378358-250-315.jpg

continue without me. Now if youll excuse me ill leave...

no_fucks_to_give_by_dragonswordking2012-d6ybqki.jpg

See this face? This is me as I was reading that last line.

Notice how little of a f*ck I'm giving.

You're welcome.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
If anything DmC's low sales would be a factor of how completely different video gaming media and information gathering is so advanced now so people can get info better.

Or...y'know...spread a crap-ton of misinformation :tongue: Our Information Age is a double-edged sword :/ Especially when wielded by ignorance - people readily believing rumors and even satirical news sites :'(

I don't much appreciate the assertion that I am "butthurt" by DmC's low sales. I could care less if it sold a thousand or a million - I love the game, that's all that matters for my enjoyment. F#ck, one of my favorite games of all time is Stranglehold, and if I remember correctly, that game bombed.

Me calling him "classic" is just a differential title, as easily as it is for me to say "DmC/NT Dante." You're putting a whole lot of words in my mouth insinuating that you know exactly what may aim is by using an easily applicable word to differentiate between two characters sharing the same name.

Also - please, by all means, take a look at what the definition is "classic" actually is, and then kindly keep your trap shut, or, maybe learn English.

My point with Youtube is that back in 2003 the internet was not as big as it is now. If a game was crap chances of you noticing it was significantly less. So you made a purchase in hopes that the game was good, unless you had tried the demo.

With having access to more information via the internet, it also subconsciously paints peoples' perceptions. Hearing nothing but bad things about a game will make people go into it expecting something bad, and finding fault with many minuscule and inconsequential things that would otherwise be overlooked.

However, this sh!t is besides the point, so stop trying to strawman by bringing in extra junk.

I simply posited something that happens in all fandoms, not simply DMC's. I also wasn't saying everyone would do it, some are more level-headed than others.

The common cry when DmC was announced was "THAT'S NOT DANTE!" So...uh...the lowered sales of DmC with the new Dante not being the classic Dante sorta denotes that some people do in fact care a whole helluva lot about the character, and that influences their purchase of Devil May Cry games.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
DMC 2 and DMC 4 two of a kind.

Both viewed as the weakest in the franchises but being both commercial successes on basically hype coming off the great predecessor. (I don't care what people say about DMC 4 now because the overall consensus when that game came out was that it was very disappointing. The sudden appreciation for it is still an enigma)

If Capcom just makes a follow up part of the original series then the fanatical fans will flock over to it like moth to a flame. It doesn't have to be good or bad, it'll still sell.

It's been about a year since DmC has been out and majority of the fandumb is still crying like whiny babies who didn't get their way. Look on the Devil May Cry facebook page and they can't make a post without the same people repeating the same sh!t over and over again like retarded broken records.

They just need to grow up and get over themselves like a few people here as well.

I just want some good, fun games.

Last edited:

IncarnatedDemon

Ah. Apple geeze.

Either way, check the definition of classic and remember that it's not an insult in really any form.
The way some fans use it is a way to make Dante invalid. It's same thing as saying D.I.N.O for some people (not every1).
And if classic is not a insult, then isnt "Old Dante"?

Of course not every1 puts something behind them, but for DM's sake i highly doubt he uses Old and classic Dante out of respect for the character.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well even "old" isn't an insult, it's a proper use of the word. If DmC Dante is "New Dante," then obviously by contrast there's an "Old Dante." "DINO" and "Donte" are explicitly used for defamation, but I've never seen anything regarding Dantes 1-4 that was deliberately inflammatory. Everything has been differential.

Top Bottom