• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is this DmC title the most ambitious in the series

If its Parallel universe then there should be a way to atleast peek the original universe

• Yes it is canon to the series because its the alternate self of dante

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No because its a Reboot

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • I don

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Chibi Dante

Keepin' it Stylish!
Premium
That is the biggest bullshit i have ever heard.
It's BS because you don't want to accept facts? lol k

I know it takes place in a parallel universes SO Does that mean its A part of the old series Or a Reboot ?? It should be either a spin-off or a Reboot or a Sequel to the old series it has to be either one of these ! it seems more like POP2008 to me which actually had the potential to be a good game but it failed why because you can't die in that game ! Anyway a Reboot can't be canon to the old series in anyway so does that mean that its a reboot ? Yeah you can expect next DMC sequel to release around 2020 :lol: since it takes 3 yrs to complete one game
Neither. It's simply Ninja Theory's take on DMC. I'm thinking this is just an experiment and serves no real purpose in the series. Capcom didn't go to Ninja Theory for a direct sequel. In the latest interview, Taneem specifically stated that DmC is NOT A REBOOT. There's your answer. A reboot would mean scraping the old series and starting fresh. Btw, Capcom said they're aiming for more DMC action in 2015, and there's a rumor going around that NT may be developing a new IP (Meaning no DmC2 anytime soon), so it could be DMC5.

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
NT is making DmC, but that does not mean they own the whole franchise. If Capcom wanted to make DMC 5, they very well can. DMC isn't done for, but its future isnt looking too bright....

McdD

Ignorant and closeminded - That's me :D
It's BS because you don't want to accept facts? lol k

Neither. It's simply Ninja Theory's take on DMC. I'm thinking this is just an experiment and serves no real purpose in the series. Capcom didn't go to Ninja Theory for a direct sequel. In the latest interview, Taneem specifically stated that DmC is NOT A REBOOT. There's your answer. A reboot would mean scraping the old series and starting fresh. Btw, Capcom said they're aiming for more DMC action in 2015, and there's a rumor going around that NT may be developing a new IP (Meaning no DmC2 anytime soon), so it could be DMC5.
It´s bs because saying DmC is in universe parallel to DMC world. That is just a excuse to justify the changes made to DMC.

Kaaaay?

I really am not sure what DmC is. A reboot, a sequel, a prequel, a remake, a be gate.

All i know is that it´s not a new game (even though they tell us to have a open mind to it as if it was a new game).
It´s not a reboot.
And it´s not DMC.

Then what is it i wonder :O?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm just gonna be simple and call it a reboot.

most reboots are AU's anyway and we dont really know what capcom intends to do for the series after DmC's release, so we cant say its a AU for sure.

ZeroLove

It doesn't matter if it is a reboot or set in a parallel universe, just know that it won't be directly connected with the original series. It is a new story with new characters in a new scenery, HOWEVER, it is based on the original series which is shown by the main protagonist's name (Dante), the main antagonists being demons, Dante's sword being called Rebellion, his father being Sparda, stuff like that, but it is NOT part of the original series. That much has been established time and time again through various interviews.

Devil May Cry has always been a game about the gameplay with a crappy story put together for the sake of entertainment, but the story was never the main focus of the games. But it WILL be one of the main focuses in the new DmC. In DmC, the story will be just as important as the gameplay, because that is what Ninja Theory does! And it is one of the reasons why Capcom gave this project to them.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
> just know that it won't be directly connected with the original series
Lol is there anyone who is still unsure of that ? i don't think so...

>It is a new story with new characters in a new scenery HOWEVER, it is based on the original serie but it is NOT part of the original series
Does it really matter much ? i'd rather happy to see it getting a different title name detaching it from the DMC series so that we can wait for a proper and stable DMC installment

>Devil May Cry has always been a game about the gameplay with a crappy story put together for the sake of entertainment but the story was never the main focus of the games
I don't think its story is crappy it was "okay" and i don't think the story should be taken that much seriously its just unnecessary waste of time and money they should just stick to the basic and improve it to near perfection look at halo Reach for a good example !

>But it WILL be one of the main focuses in the new DmC In DmC, the story will be just as important as the gameplay because that is what Ninja Theory does!
Seriously i don't care what NT does its a fairly average western studio i want my DMC to play just like it used to in DMC3&1
-Bring back the creepiness
-Bring back the rock,metal
-Bring back Team little devils or something like that which made DMC1 for assistance in the gameplay production
-Bring back the BLOOD
-Bring back the grittiness

And seriously these are the points NT should be working on not only the story !

ZeroLove

> just know that it won't be directly connected with the original series
Lol is there anyone who is still unsure of that ? i don't think so...

>It is a new story with new characters in a new scenery HOWEVER, it is based on the original serie but it is NOT part of the original series
Does it really matter much ? i'd rather happy to see it getting a different title name detaching it from the DMC series so that we can wait for a proper and stable DMC installment

>Devil May Cry has always been a game about the gameplay with a crappy story put together for the sake of entertainment but the story was never the main focus of the games
I don't think its story is crappy it was "okay" and i don't think the story should be taken that much seriously its just unnecessary waste of time and money they should just stick to the basic and improve it to near perfection look at halo Reach for a good example !

>But it WILL be one of the main focuses in the new DmC In DmC, the story will be just as important as the gameplay because that is what Ninja Theory does!
Seriously i don't care what NT does its a fairly average western studio i want my DMC to play just like it used to in DMC3&1
-Bring back the creepiness
-Bring back the rock,metal
-Bring back Team little devils or something like that which made DMC1 for assistance in the gameplay production
-Bring back the BLOOD
-Bring back the grittiness

And seriously these are the points NT should be working on not only the story !

It is alright for you to disagree with me, but this is my answer to your OP and to the discussion that has been going through this thread.

McdD

It is alright for you to disagree with me, but this is my answer to your OP and to the discussion that has been going through this thread.
Actually you proclaim your opinion as fact.

"Devil May Cry has always been a game about the gameplay with a crappy story put together for the sake of entertainment".
DMC 1 was not there just for entertainment.
Even though DMC 2 was very "off topic" it wasn't there for entertainment either.
DMC 3 and 4 was there for entertainment.

And DMC 1 story is "crappy"? Ok, that's your opinion and i respect that, but if it's crappy: how come DmC is copying alot of it's elements?
Have in mind comparing a game on PS2 made in 2001 with a game being finished january 2013 on PS3 is like comparing first Ford vechicle with a Ferrari.

As far as Ninja theory goes - their game philosphy has been story and art over gameplay. That is why Heavenly sword was very similar to God of War, and this claim was backed up when there is easter eggs of Kratos armour and weapons in a armoury building in HS.
If focusing on story PRESENTATION, and providing a poor gameplay version of a other serie is "EQUAL" focus on Gameplay and Story, then yes they focus on both aspects of a game equally.
But you know it, and i do too, their focus HAS BEEN for a good while: Story and art over gameplay.

"Ninja theory - Beautiful gaming"
"...an opportunity to elevate the games experience into one that can rival film and literature...."

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze

Yeah sorry i was just thinking devil may cry without mainstream gameplay ? hmm.... really interesting

>But you know it, and i do too, their focus HAS BEEN for a good while: Story and art over gameplay.
I think Silent hill 2 is the best example for that

"Ninja theory - Beautiful gaming"
"...an opportunity to elevate the games experience into one that can rival film and literature...."
Lol then why're the even making games ? they should go and make avatar 2 !

ZeroLove

Actually you proclaim your opinion as fact.

Sorry, that was not my intention. It was just my own personal viewpoint. ^^

Yeah sorry i was just thinking devil may cry without mainstream gameplay ? hmm.... really interesting

Devil May Cry has become mainstream gameplay, because what was original and innovative in the first DMC is now gameplay that is seen throughout alot of games which are considered mainstream. So if you want Devil May Cry without mainstream gameplay, it should be totally unlike anything seen in any DMC game before.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
i dont think DmC should try and do that. the point of a reboot is that its a fresh start. so theres no need for it to look into the original. unless of course its like and easter egg then im fine. but outright mimicing the original franchise is just not gonna work for me. besides i dont think ill enjoy a game like that in the first place

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Devil May Cry has become mainstream gameplay, because what was original and innovative in the first DMC is now gameplay that is seen throughout alot of games which are considered mainstream. So if you want Devil May Cry without mainstream gameplay, it should be totally unlike anything seen in any DMC game before.

Why not ? i mean all they need is a perfect blend of DMC1&3 DMC4 was just a reflection of what it should've been like

What DmC is trying to do is innovation in the wrong time It isn't A reboot but just an experiment but look at this

Something tells me it is just not the time for an experiment ! because the series is so inconsistent and needs a solid sequel not an experiment !

experiments are healthy and i like that too but when the series's future is so bleak its just like catching fireflies

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Why not ? i mean all they need is a perfect blend of DMC1&3 DMC4 was just a reflection of what it should've been like

What DmC is trying to do is innovation in the wrong time It isn't A reboot but just an experiment but look at this

Something tells me it is just not the time for an experiment ! because the series is so inconsistent and needs a solid sequel not an experiment !

experiments are healthy and i like that too but when the series's future is so bleak its just like catching fireflies

Honestly, I doubt a sequel will save DMC. In my OPINION, I think DMC is already dead. If DMC had a stable story, and better character development, it would have been up there with better games. But gameplay alone doesn't always make a game shine. DMC was dead after DMC2. DMC3, through a miracle, brought the series back to life, but DMC3 also lost a bit of fans. Why? Cause Dante and the story was alternatively told or REBOOTED. Then DMC4 came along, and completely destroyed DMC. So they can try to make a DMC5, but I don't expect it to be that good. Same for DmC. I hope it's good, but it won't anywhere near Kingdom Hearts level of good for me.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Well Dante did travel to a AU in the second light novel so its not impossible to do so again.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Honestly, I doubt a sequel will save DMC. In my OPINION, I think DMC is already dead. If DMC had a stable story, and better character development, it would have been up there with better games. But gameplay alone doesn't always make a game shine. DMC was dead after DMC2. DMC3, through a miracle, brought the series back to life, but DMC3 also lost a bit of fans. Why? Cause Dante and the story was alternatively told or REBOOTED. Then DMC4 came along, and completely destroyed DMC. So they can try to make a DMC5, but I don't expect it to be that good. Same for DmC. I hope it's good, but it won't anywhere near Kingdom Hearts level of good for me.

hmm didn't they just say it was new devil may cry in production rather then a reboot being targeted ?? they're still leaving space for a DMC5 right ??? i mean DMC 2 is just awful it almost has no story and it shouldn't even be taken into account

McdD

Your pretty wise DragonMaster2010 :)

But if you allow me to enlighten or REMIND you:
- Great games can survive without a story. That is the whole point of games to INTERACT with a avatar. Examples of not very story focused games are Crash Bandicoot, Mario, Virtua Fighter, Wipeout,.
That is GREAT games, however, nowadays Gaming industry seems to have forgotten what GAMES are about. They think huge graphics and a new story equals = great game. INCORRECT.
- A DMC prequel has potential under circumstances that DMC 1 crew are present (That includes Hideki Kamiya). This can shed more light on past, and give fans of DMC closure.

On other side if all games did not have any story in it then we would have a Gaming industry without excitement.

Innovation is about making a new gameplay. Portal game is a innovating gameplay.
Ninja theory´s motion capture is a good example of innovation (good for story games).

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Just curious,

why do we feel DMC 4 destroyed the series?

>The game lacked dark and gloomy atmosphere
>Nero just fuc*ed up the story
>(other than credo) None of the characters are likable !
>The story was really like a cheesy-ass Romance Anime which you can find every now and then at animax
> The enemy designs's sucked ! except for the mundus's demons all other demons suck

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Really I don't think anyone will buy this game because everyones going to be up to their necks in Christmas bills

EDIT: Am I the only one who liked the story of DMC3, 4's story was crap, but 3 had Character development, he went from a jokester who made badass one liners, to DMC1 Dante. He even shed a tear by the end of the game, call it cheesy if you want, but I felt more emotional connection to that cutscene than I did to half the crap in the Harry Potter series

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
hmm didn't they just say it was new devil may cry in production rather then a reboot being targeted ?? they're still leaving space for a DMC5 right ??? i mean DMC 2 is just awful it almost has no story and it shouldn't even be taken into account

There are actually some who like DMC2, though it'a a very samll some.

Just curious, why do we feel DMC 4 destroyed the series?

Dante was a joke character wise
Nero had no real explaination
Not that much Devil Arms
Back tracking literally backwards with Dante
no alternate costumes
same old "Human wants to be a God" story
Not enough screne time for Kyrie. (love her)
Lady not having much screne time(Not saying she is)
Entire DMC4 story reminds me of Bleach

Your pretty wise DragonMaster2010 :)
I can understand sarcasm, Y' know.

But if you allow me to enlighten or REMIND you:
- Great games can survive without a story. That is the whole point of games to INTERACT with a avatar. Examples of not very story focused games are Crash Bandicoot, Mario, Virtua Fighter, Wipeout,.
That is GREAT games, however, nowadays Gaming industry seems to have forgotten what GAMES are about. They think huge graphics and a new story equals = great game. INCORRECT.
- A DMC prequel has potential under circumstances that DMC 1 crew are present (That includes Hideki Kamiya). This can shed more light on past, and give fans of DMC closure.

On other side if all games did not have any story in it then we would have a Gaming industry without excitement.

Innovation is about making a new gameplay. Portal game is a innovating gameplay.
Ninja theory´s motion capture is a good example of innovation (good for story games).

But what if That team isn't on there. Would you believe that a DMC5 would be as good as DMC1? While I know there are some games that have crappy stories and still succeed, this is DMC we're talking about. I just wish DMC could have a better layout on story and have better character development. That feeling when a character dies, it's the saddest thing to see. I felt nothing when Vergil fell off the edge because I hardly saw much from Dante and and he seemed to have shrugged it off, until Lady saw that one tear. If my brother fell off the edge and possibly died, I'd be bauling my eyes out.

why do we feel DMC 4 destroyed the series?

>The game lacked dark and gloomy atmosphere
>Nero just fuc*ed up the story
>(other than credo) None of the characters are likable !
>The story was really like a cheesy-ass Romance Anime which you can find every now and then at animax
> The enemy designs's sucked ! except for the mundus's demons all other demons suck

Pretty much agree with all this.

Top Bottom