• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is Sanctus a lowly final boss?

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I don't get this statement.
In the story mode, you eventually get to Dante, because Dante realizes you have his brother's sword, and in fighting you, he also realizes you're his son (Vergil's). In here, if you played normal mode, the boss seemed easy. Which once again: Understandable.

That means Dante in there is a story boss. Not a filler, not a challenging boss, but a boss created purely for story purposes. Nothing more, nothing less.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
In the story mode, you eventually get to Dante, because Dante realizes you have his brother's sword, and in fighting you, he also realizes you're his son (Vergil's). In here, if you played normal mode, the boss seemed easy. Which once again: Understandable.

That means Dante in there is a story boss. Not a filler, not a challenging boss, but a boss created purely for story purposes. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah his first boss fight on Normal is pretty easy because he is basically an tutorial/intro boss. His second boss fight is more of a challenge but honestly on par with all the other bosses in DMC4 even Credo. I mean DMC4 as a whole when it comes to entry level difficulty is easier than DMC3. He becomes far more harder in higher difficulty settings.

When I say DMC4 boss fights are probably the best designed in the series I don't mean they were the hardest that means they were designed to complement and fully utilized your moveset and mechanics to create dynamic combat scenarios with each/most of the boss. Thus creating higher replay/refight value. Granted DMC3 had some of this too like with Vergil and Beowulf but those are 1/3 of the actual bosses. Bosses in DMC4 are usually far more mobile, dynamic, and less rigid than say a Cerberus. Basically they were more fun to fight and style with especially Dante. I mean Credo himself isn't very hard either.

Also like every boss in a DMC game is a story boss (outside like Jester in DMC3:SE).

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Honestly only DMC1 and DMC3 had good final bosses.
I actually enjoyed the philosophy and gameplay of DMC2's final boss, really in any DMC game a human sized boss tends to be good because they really test and allow you to put to use everything you've learned in the game. while Mundus tonally aced the final boss roll I don't enjoy them totally changing the gameplay we've had all game for a space shooter. I think when it comes to pure gameplay Nelo Angelo outshines mundus when it comes to testing the player imo

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Yeah his first boss fight on Normal is pretty easy because he is basically an tutorial/intro boss. His second boss fight is more of a challenge but honestly on par with all the other bosses in DMC4 even Credo. I mean DMC4 as a whole when it comes to entry level difficulty is easier than DMC3. He becomes far more harder in higher difficulty settings.
Basically what I said.
When I say DMC4 boss fights are probably the best designed in the series I don't mean they were the hardest that means they were designed to complement and fully utilized your moveset and mechanics to create dynamic combat scenarios with each/most of the boss. Thus creating higher replay/refight value. Granted DMC3 had some of this too like with Vergil and Beowulf but those are 1/3 of the actual bosses. Bosses in DMC4 are usually far more mobile, dynamic, and less rigid than say a Cerberus. Basically they were more fun to fight and style with especially Dante. I mean Credo himself isn't very hard either.
Then we agree, the thing that disappointed me about DMC4 is you fight bosses that are pretty forgettable, but memorable because of the mechanics. You see what I mean? Okay, so besides Credo, you fight with bosses like the ice monster - your job is to break down his defenses enough to make them throw up. While they're down, you need to grab the tentacles that are actually 2 mini bosses. The plant boss was a bit tedious, I kinda like it because it's trying to give you more ways to fight, and more camera angles - kinda like a God of War game. After that, though? What else is there? A big blob of a boss? I honestly got stuck in the big blob boss where you'd have to physically rescue Kyrie. I'm going to replay the game with DMC4SE soon, but I was not downplaying DMC4 - I like it, but the bosses seems far and wide. The only memorable boss to me is Credo, because it's difficult, it's epic, it's trying to teach you how to use devil trigger, trying to teach you how to use moves, etc.
Also like every boss in a DMC game is a story boss (outside like Jester in DMC3:SE).
Not every boss is a story boss, that's where you and I disagree. DMC3 for example, the bosses were placed in the right places, and the cutscenes were put into place afterwards. :)

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Uhhhh he's not bad, I still think Argosax is the worst final boss in the series. But he's no Mundus or Vergil, hell DmC Vergil, and Hollow Vergil (the only boss of Vergil's Downfall) were even more fun.

EDIT adding my own 2 cents to @Stylish Nero and @Carlos discussion, with the exception of Sanctus, the rest of DMC4's bosses were on-par with DMC3's. Between the two games, Vergil, Credo, and Dante himself, being my favorites, mainly cause imo, as fun as it is to kill giant monsters. It's just so much fun to duke it out with another guy with a sword

Top Bottom