• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is Sanctus a lowly final boss?

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Sanctus would've been better after gaining the Sparda sword, he'd buff up and look more both demonic & angelic. Even look a bit younger.

Goldsickle

Sanctus was totally like a background character when he was first introduced.
His death also felt like a "background character" death.

There should have been more introduction of him before he get killed.
I was also thinking that he should have been somewhat of a father figure for Nero.
This should add some extra motivation for Nero to get revenge on Dante and this would also create a bigger impact when Sanctus turns on Nero.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Ronin Sanctus having a few more forms and one of them being him in his prime would have been cool.

@DarkSlayerVergil mind control or misguided participant?

@Goldsickle Technically Sanctus did recieve Nero as a baby from Vergil. I thought it might have been more interesting if he was raised by Sanctus as a willing puppet and hard to deal with an internal struggle about it.

I guess you can tie in Kyrie as Nero doesn't know if her love for him is real or not.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Sanctus was totally like a background character when he was first introduced.
His death also felt like a "background character" death.
There should have been more introduction of him before he get killed.
I was also thinking that he should have been somewhat of a father figure for Nero.
This should add some extra motivation for Nero to get revenge on Dante and this would also create a bigger impact when Sanctus turns on Nero.
This so much, Sanctus didn't have a single line of dialogue with Nero until you fight him at HQ and even that can be summed up as "You hurt Kyrie, prepare to die".

The audience knows Dante isn't evil so Nero chasing after him to avenge the Pope has no weight, nor does the revelation that "the Pope's really evil guyz" and Nero's subsequent turning against the Order.

Rather than Nero's campaign being just chasing Dante's tail by himself and then turning around to head home, it would have been better to maybe go out on missions with the other characters investigating possible leads to Dante's whereabouts and get to know your allies before the reveal that the Order's evil that would build up tension when you fight Credo and others.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Honestly only DMC1 and DMC3 had good final bosses.
That's only because the story was structured very well. In DMC1, you chase after Mundus in his various forms, and we may see this in DMC5. In DMC3, you chase after Vergil the whole game, while fighting against Arkham, and Mundus - and their minions. Mundus is like the background character, but is actually the main boss, main villain.

Goldsickle

Technically Sanctus did recieve Nero as a baby from Vergil. I thought it might have been more interesting if he was raised by Sanctus as a willing puppet and hard to deal with an internal struggle about it.
They could have done so much more to really solidify Sanctus's character and his connection with the other cast.

The audience knows Dante isn't evil so Nero chasing after him to avenge the Pope has no weight, nor does the revelation that "the Pope's really evil guyz" and Nero's subsequent turning against the Order.
It's also about what the audience doesn't know.

How did Nero assume that the first Bianco Angelo he meets is an ally?
Shouldn't there be some earlier cutscenes showing them being deployed, so it makes more sense?
I think someone here explained that Nero assumed the Angelo was an ally due to the Order insignia on it (according to the game's script).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@DarkSlayerVergil
Having Kyrie break bad because of love would have been interesting.

@Lain
It might have been interesting if they did play up Dante's ambiguity to Nero. Having Team DMC being underhanded or morally sketchy to get the job done would have been a great arc for the series.

@Goldsickle
First time i saw that scene, i just thought Nero saw a Bianco Angelo before.

DarkSlayerVergil

@DarkSlayerVergil
Having Kyrie break bad because of love would have been interesting.
I like the idea more of Dmc4 ending with Kyrie death and add on the whole morally sketchy thing you mentioned to Lain. I could imagine Nero even after gaining his devil trigger still isn't strong enough to defeat Kyrie who now possess Sparda something Nero has no way of dealing with and before she could deliver the finishing blow(who's already too far gone being corrupted by Spardas power). Nero is saved by Dante who has no choice but to kill her realizing already what humans end up like when possessing his father's power like Arkham.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I like the idea more of Dmc4 ending with Kyrie death and add on the whole morally sketchy thing you mentioned to Lain. I could imagine Nero even after gaining his devil trigger still isn't strong enough to defeat Kyrie who now possess Sparda something Nero has no way of dealing with and before she could deliver the finishing blow(who's already too far gone being corrupted by Spardas power). Nero is saved by Dante who has no choice but to kill her realizing already what humans end up like when possessing his father's power like Arkham.
That would be one way to lead into DMC2.

Meg

Sanctus would've been better after gaining the Sparda sword, he'd buff up and look more both demonic & angelic. Even look a bit younger.
I agree 100%

After final bosses like Mundus and Vergil, Sanctus doesn't seem all that threatening. Especially since he spends most of the fight moving away from you. It's hard to be intimidated by an old dude who keeps running away. It would have been cool if he got a full demon form like Credo and Agnus.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Honestly only DMC1 and DMC3 had good final bosses.

Thematically DMC1 Mundus was a good final boss but half of the boss fight was a clunky space shoot em up section that was so poorly programmed I died the most during that section and the other half would be decent if the camera angle combined with the fact the background being black and red made Dante blend into the background and it became a total mess to do things in that fight and thus turned into spam Sparda's DT blast attacks. Mundus is arguably the worst boss fight in DMC1.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Thematically DMC1 Mundus was a good final boss but half of the boss fight was a clunky space shoot em up section that was so poorly programmed I died the most during that section and the other half would be decent if the camera angle combined with the fact the background being black and red made Dante blend into the background and it became a total mess to do things in that fight and thus turned into spam Sparda's DT blast attacks. Mundus is arguably the worst boss fight in DMC1.
I have a love-hate relationship with that final boss battle, but my most memorable moment in DMC1 would have to be the oozing Nelo Angelo/Mundus, and the bird electric fight.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I have a love-hate relationship with that final boss battle, but my most memorable moment in DMC1 would have to be the oozing Nelo Angelo/Mundus, and the bird electric fight.

I would say DMC1 really knock out of the park with memorable and eventful boss fights. I honestly like the Nelo Angelo boss fights as much if not more than the Vergil ones from DMC3. Nightmare was a clever way of implementing a Boss rush without being tedious but still fun. Griffin and Phantom made excellent usage of the environment and were rather eventful and epic. Mundus was just God tier trash in my opinion. His DmC counterpart was equal amount of suckage too (but for different reasons) and while we're at it might as well as throw the Savior into the trash heap too (since its also a giant flying/floating statue and the devs were trying to recreate Dante vs Mundus but in a more controlled environment).

DMC2 was bad in all regards even the boss fights (although the last bosses were decent with Argosax being fun).

DMC3's boss fights varied from amazing (Vergil, Beowulf, Agni and Rudra) to pretty good (Lady, most of the other bosses) to lackluster (Doppleganger, Leviathan, Gigapede) to really awful (Arkham)

DMC4 I found their bosses the most consistently fun and well designed in the series and while never epic like DMC1 bosses had the most refight facror in the series (well minus the Savior) and while I do find Credo to be best designed boss in the series I find Nelo Angelo and Vergil more fun to fight or just more eventful.

I thought DmC was rather weak in that category. Vergil was good but the rest are pretty subpar. Its pretty sad when various enemy types like the Dreamrunner and Butcher on their own provide more fun and challenge than the actual bosses (outside Vergil).

DMC5 is looking to take the epic and eventful aspects of DMC1 bosses, the variety of DMC3 bosses, replay-ability and fun of DMC4 bosses, and aspects of DmC's boss fights (dialogue during gameplay that appear after performing certain actions, parrying being more factored in) to make a perfect blend of varied and uniquely fun boss fights.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I would say DMC1 really knock out of the park with memorable and eventful boss fights. I honestly like the Nelo Angelo boss fights as much if not more than the Vergil ones from DMC3. Nightmare was a clever way of implementing a Boss rush without being tedious but still fun. Griffin and Phantom made excellent usage of the environment and were rather eventful and epic. Mundus was just God tier trash in my opinion. His DmC counterpart was equal amount of suckage too (but for different reasons) and while we're at it might as well as throw the Savior into the trash heap too (since its also a giant flying/floating statue and the devs were trying to recreate Dante vs Mundus but in a more controlled environment).
I agree in some respects. The final battle with Mundus was cool, I get they were trying to go for the epic climatic ending, but I also realize that the battle was easy, and not a whole lot going on in there. At least do something like the Anubis battle at the end of ZOE2. At least, do that. The first time I saw the oozing Mundus, I felt this curiosity towards this character - what is going on here? Who is this Mundus? And who is Vergil...? While at the same time, being this action-packed, gothic screeching game... I liked that electric bird battle, it reminds me of a Zelda game or another 3D game. It trains you to sidestep attacks, and avoid some pitfalls... that kind of thing.
DMC2 was bad in all regards even the boss fights (although the last bosses were decent with Argosax being fun).
I stoped playing after a few stages. The game design was not - I wasn't felling it. I love DMC, but to me, DMC2 felt like a downgrade from DMC1. My brother beat it; I can only respect how he put up with garbage game design. Holy ****.
DMC3's boss fights varied from amazing (Vergil, Beowulf, Agni and Rudra) to pretty good (Lady, most of the other bosses) to lackluster (Doppleganger, Leviathan, Gigapede) to really awful (Arkham)
Now, DMC3 was definitely an upgrade. It also changed my worldview on action games. Before DMC3, I always spammed a few attacks here and there. DMC3 you do pretty much the same thing, but the game actually wants you to try different moves, and it shows in the boss battles. It. shows.
DMC4 I found their bosses the most consistently fun and well designed in the series and while never epic like DMC1 bosses had the most refight facror in the series (well minus the Savior) and while I do find Credo to be best designed boss in the series I find Nelo Angelo and Vergil more fun to fight or just more eventful.
I agree for the most part, but I am also disappointed after DMC1 and 3. With Credo, that's as climax a boss battle you're going to get in DMC4. Lackluster battle with Dante (but understandable), the rest of the game is good and well, but I can't get over how disappointed I was with DMC4's boss battles. I was expecting more from DMC4.
I thought DmC was rather weak in that category. Vergil was good but the rest are pretty subpar. Its pretty sad when various enemy types like the Dreamrunner and Butcher on their own provide more fun and challenge than the actual bosses (outside Vergil).
DmC as a game wasn't really bad per se, but it really needed a few months of polish, and that polish game in the form of DE. And I hear you on the polar opposite thing going on in the game. You'd think the bosses have more attention, but it's actually the on the way to the bosses that are fun. Like the first time you met the fat monsters, and the first time you had to switch your weapons in the same area.
DMC5 is looking to take the epic and eventful aspects of DMC1 bosses, the variety of DMC3 bosses, replay-ability and fun of DMC4 bosses, and aspects of DmC's boss fights (dialogue during gameplay that appear after performing certain actions, parrying being more factored in) to make a perfect blend of varied and uniquely fun boss fights.
I hope so! :)

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I agree in some respects. The final battle with Mundus was cool, I get they were trying to go for the epic climatic ending, but I also realize that the battle was easy, and not a whole lot going on in there. At least do something like the Anubis battle at the end of ZOE2. At least, do that. The first time I saw the oozing Mundus, I felt this curiosity towards this character - what is going on here? Who is this Mundus? And who is Vergil...? While at the same time, being this action-packed, gothic screeching game... I liked that electric bird battle, it reminds me of a Zelda game or another 3D game. It trains you to sidestep attacks, and avoid some pitfalls... that kind of thing.

I stoped playing after a few stages. The game design was not - I wasn't felling it. I love DMC, but to me, DMC2 felt like a downgrade from DMC1. My brother beat it; I can only respect how he put up with garbage game design. Holy ****.

Now, DMC3 was definitely an upgrade. It also changed my worldview on action games. Before DMC3, I always spammed a few attacks here and there. DMC3 you do pretty much the same thing, but the game actually wants you to try different moves, and it shows in the boss battles. It. shows.

I agree for the most part, but I am also disappointed after DMC1 and 3. With Credo, that's as climax a boss battle you're going to get in DMC4. Lackluster battle with Dante (but understandable), the rest of the game is good and well, but I can't get over how disappointed I was with DMC4's boss battles. I was expecting more from DMC4.

DmC as a game wasn't really bad per se, but it really needed a few months of polish, and that polish game in the form of DE. And I hear you on the polar opposite thing going on in the game. You'd think the bosses have more attention, but it's actually the on the way to the bosses that are fun. Like the first time you met the fat monsters, and the first time you had to switch your weapons in the same area.

I hope so! :)

I would say DMC4 boss fights (outside the Savior and Sanctus) were better than half of DMC3's bosses and have strong replay (refight) value and while not great (outside Credo) they generally have a lot of nifty tips and tricks that you can play with that makes them worth revisiting. Who knows maybe its the combat and how the bosses are designed to actually complement the combat mechanics. Granted they're at their most fun with Nero and surprisingly Vergil and Lady.

I would hardly call Dante lacklustre, maybe he is on easier difficulties but he becomes the hardest boss on harder difficulties (well unless you're Vergil but everything is easy with Vergil) when he pulls out his full arsenal and really keeps you on your toes.

I never said DmC was a bad game. I merely said its bosses (outside Vergil) were pretty lackluster especially considering the games that come before it (while it does fair better than DMC2 in the boss category and the DMC series even in the good games don't have a perfect boss fight record ei Mundus, Savior, Arkham, etc).

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I would say DMC4 boss fights (outside the Savior and Sanctus) were better than half of DMC3's bosses and have strong replay (refight) value and while not great (outside Credo) they generally have a lot of nifty tips and tricks that you can play with that makes them worth revisiting. Who knows maybe its the combat and how the bosses are designed to actually complement the combat mechanics. Granted they're at their most fun with Nero and surprisingly Vergil and Lady.
That's what she said! (Ahem; that's what I said. lol.)
I would hardly call Dante lacklustre, maybe he is on easier difficulties but he becomes the hardest boss on harder difficulties (well unless you're Vergil but everything is easy with Vergil) when he pulls out his full arsenal and really keeps you on your toes.
That's your opinion, and I respect it. I was merely saying Dante in DMC4 was a story boss. Which is understandable.
I never said DmC was a bad game. I merely said its bosses (outside Vergil) were pretty lackluster especially considering the games that come before it (while it does fair better than DMC2 in the boss category and the DMC series even in the good games don't have a perfect boss fight record ei Mundus, Savior, Arkham, etc).
I pretty much agreed with you, man. The fact that the bosses lack any substance is polar opposite of what previous games usually have. It seems so backwards.

Top Bottom