• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is Mundus really so evil/wrong?

NessPSI

Tony Redgraaaave!
I was replaying DMC 1 again and i have a really different look on him now. It all started because Sparda and Eva, a Demon and Human fell in love forming a union between two entirely different beings. Demons and Human just arent meant to be together as they literally belong in different realms. Yes the two were in love, but look as Mundus point of view. Clearly he is the ruler of the underworld, nothing is more important than making sure that the underworld remains as it is, and nothing happens to it. In his eyes Humans and Demons should not be together, and if you think about it hes kind of right. The Humans and Demons were at war in the past so apparently something had to of happened. Something so terrible that Mundus felt it would be better if the humans just didnt exist anymore. I really wish we got some more insight on this because it would really be awesome if they did show it.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Umm. Thing is Mundus was ruling world and abusing/slaughtering humans for his purposes, until Sparda rebelled against him. IT was world overrun with demons. So problem lies little deeper than just relationship of Sparda. And I suspect he didn't even cared about them, until Sparda kicked his forces out of human world and sealed hell portals. After that he was after Eva because of revenge for his downfall, not because he thought it was wrong. He tried to take revenge on Sparda's family to 1. Because Sparda kicked his ass 2. Because he didn't want to have adversaries in the future in form of Vergil and Dante.

outoftheblue

@NessPSI and @Innsmouth
I can understand Mundus´reasons for doing what he did, he was a ruler who had to strike down a rebel within his forces and make the consequences of getting out of line known to the rest of his hordes.
The reasons for striking Spardas family down was, as Innsmouth stated, for revenge and making an example out of him and to make sure non of his offsprings could come back later for their own revenge and bite him in his "demony behind".
It´s nothing new, you can find this kind of action in stories told in different medias: films, books and videogames...and in the source of them all: History. It´s full of retaliation and vendettas.

That I understand his motivations doesn´t mean that I think he was right, just that he did the right thing...for him.

Viper

Premium
Sparda rebelled 2000 years ago cause Mundus wanted to unite two worlds, kill or enslave humans and rule over everything. Eva came into picture long after Sparda ****ed off Mundus (if she didn't, then either she is really, really old and hence not really human, and we were not told anything to believe otherwise, or it's her sons that are really, really old, which we are told they are not), and as with all those without honour, Mundus went after Sparda's family for revenge.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Mundus. He's a big ol' meanie!

No, but seriously. I thought considering Mundus is pretty much the main antagonist of DMC, he'd no doubt be evil in literally every sense of the word.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Yeah, I'm pretty sure wanting to enslave an entire race (and the world they belong to) when they've done nothing wrong on the basis of "Well the worlds used to be one so I'm gonna treat it that way!" is wrong. The worlds were fine before Mundus showed up.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Yeah, I'm pretty sure wanting to enslave an entire race (and the world they belong to) when they've done nothing wrong on the basis of "Well the worlds used to be one so I'm gonna treat it that way!" is wrong. The worlds were fine before Mundus showed up.

Mundus wants both Worlds for himself though, right? At least, I see it that way myself.

Demonic Skeleton

Just a Devil Hunter.
Mundus did for his beliefs that were questionable, but it's that really so wrong. Also humans aren't all that good as seen by Arkham.

Viper

Premium
Mundus did for his beliefs that were questionable, but it's that really so wrong. Also humans aren't all that good as seen by Arkham.
His only belief was that he should be the supreme ruler of everything, his methods included sending powerful demons to ambush a young widow and her children, as well as lies, deceit, baiting with "rebirth" of loved one and brutally killing off devils that failed their task. I'd say that's pretty wrong. No one said evil humans are justified by the fact they are human, so Mundus shouldn't be excused either.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Mundus, in all sense and purpose, is basically Satan. He's even portrayed as this towering deity, in appearance seemingly almost angelic/godlike. He's a dick!

Demonic Skeleton

Just a Devil Hunter.
His only belief was that he should be the supreme ruler of everything, his methods included sending powerful demons to ambush a young widow and her children, as well as lies, deceit, baiting with "rebirth" of loved one and brutally killing off devils that failed their task. I'd say that's pretty wrong. No one said evil humans are justified by the fact they are human, so Mundus shouldn't be excused either.
I'm not saying his actions were justified, I just see his point of view. At times I feel things would be better if one person was in charge and sometimes I think my way is the best and I'm sure I'm not the only one. He probably also felt betrayed by Sparda and blamed Eva, demons have feelings too.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Yes mundus is in fact evil&wrong.. he is a threat to both Demon world and Human world he's like a fascist leader in the demon world who wants to rule the human world because he can.

He clearly has no legitimate reason to wreck havoc on Human world other the fact that Sparda broke his ego by kicking his ass and now he just wants vengeance on innocent humans because of that.. he's your typical bad guy he even kills his own fallen comrades which leads me to believe he doesn't really give a crap about either humans or demons.

In fact i'm interested in the politics of the demon world i don't think other demons would take kindly to fascist a-holes like mundus.

Viper

Premium
Yes mundus is in fact evil&wrong.. he is a threat to both Demon world and Human world he's like a fascist leader in the demon world who wants to rule the human world because he can.

He clearly has no legitimate reason to wreck havoc on Human world other the fact that Sparda broke his ego by kicking his ass and now he just wants vengeance on innocent humans because of that.. he's your typical bad guy he even kills his own fallen comrades which leads me to believe he doesn't really give a crap about either humans or demons.

In fact i'm interested in the politics of the demon world i don't think other demons would take kindly to fascist a-holes like mundus.
In novel preceding DMC2, Dante ends up in alternative world where demon bosses of DMC1 indeed didn't take kindly what Mundus planned and have rebelled. It seems those in this world were simply too devoted and have made themselves blind to reason.
Also, there is anime where Sid says that after Mundus was sealed again, there has been a war raging in Demon world, a struggle for power between various factions. So their politics in nutshell is either they have dictatorship or anarchy.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Well naturally, I'd assume if you were in Mundus' position after DMC 1 you'd be watching your back. The demon World would probably be dividing itself with those loyal to him and those who aren't.

He killed his own 'minions' without a shed of remorse. Do they want a leader like that? I doubt it very much.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Well naturally, I'd assume if you were in Mundus' position after DMC 1 you'd be watching your back. The Demon World would probably be dividing itself with those loyal to him and those who aren't.

He killed his own 'minions' without a shed of remorse. Do they want a leader like that? I doubt it very much.
Not to mention they run on "survival of the fittest". Regardless of whether or not he kills his own minions, he failed his one objective TWICE in the span of 2000 years, to a traitor general and his halfbreed son, and all the generals he had under his command the second time around either died or defected. He's demonstrated that he's not fit to be in a position of power, so instead of the series hyping him up as the biggest bad, he should probably be killed off screen by another up-and-coming Devil Prince, otherwise the story would have to justify why he gets so many chances to eff up ruling the world.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
he should probably be killed off screen by another up-and-coming Devil Prince, otherwise the story would have to justify why he gets so many chances to eff up ruling the world.
He most likely was, if we're going to look at the theory that makes the most sense. They never said how Sparda died, after all.

When Sparda was out of the way, Mundus probably eliminated the potential threat the up-and-coming devil prince presented, which was why he was never mentioned.

--------------------------

I'm just going along with your fan-theory, don't mind me.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Yeah I see your point and I think you're right about that, but at the same time Mundus is by no means weak.

As I mentioned earlier, by definition he is practically Satan. His appearance even shows him as if angelic, despite that not being the case. Mundus' powers are seemingly godlike should you take into account the great strength and powers he beholds. And despite being sent back to the demon world as it were, that simply means he was unable to make his way fully into the human world. It's not a reflection on his strength as a demon, which has only ever really been challenged by Sparda and his offspring (as far as I'm aware) and that's obvious why they come out on top.

NessPSI

Tony Redgraaaave!
Not to mention they run on "survival of the fittest". Regardless of whether or not he kills his own minions, he failed his one objective TWICE in the span of 2000 years, to a traitor general and his halfbreed son, and all the generals he had under his command the second time around either died or defected. He's demonstrated that he's not fit to be in a position of power, so instead of the series hyping him up as the biggest bad, he should probably be killed off screen by another up-and-coming Devil Prince, otherwise the story would have to justify why he gets so many chances to eff up ruling the world.

I sure hope he doesnt. He seems to much of an interesting villain to only appear in 1 game. He caused all of this by killing Dantes family. I want Dante to be the one to finish it in some grand finaly or something. I mean DMC1 did outright say that he will return. That would be the perfect way to bring Dante's story to a close. And let them move on to Nero or some other new protagonist if they want.

Top Bottom