• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is it only me or someone else...?

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Not true.My favorite version of Dante is the DMC2 version.
I don't believe people really hate Dante, just a little "tired" of all DmC controversy which surrounded Dante's character.
Anyway it's not the first time people love a franchise and despise the main character.It's just a question of tastes.:smile:.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Not true.My favorite version of Dante is the DMC2 version.
I don't believe people really hate Dante, just a little "tired" of all DmC controversy which surrounded Dante's character.
Anyway it's not the first time people love a franchise and despise the main character.It's just a question of tastes.:smile:.
Look at the DMC1 purists. They may like DMC3's gameplay, but they hate the story (as it is a retcon to DMC1) and the interpretation of Dante there. They even went so far as sending VA Reuben Langdon tons of hate mail because of it.
When DMC4 came to play, people started hating Nero for replacing Dante in the main protag spotlight. By its first TGS 2005 trailer, we saw a different version of Dante which was supposed to be in the game... Due to it being rushed, the Dante we saw was just a watered-down version of DMC3 Dante with belt fetishes!

So definitely it is not the first time people love a franchise yet despise the main character! I can say that it's not DMC3, DMC4, or DmC that caused the division of this fanbase; differences of opinions did that! As what Reuben said in his interview about receiving hate mail regarding being Dante (as well as saying DMC3 is a reboot of the DMC series from what he knows), history repeated itself. Trust me; I've read it.

If you ask me @Gel, my most personal favorite "Dante" of all "Dante"s is still DMC1 Dante because not only he is the very first Dante and thus the original one, he has the most well-balanced personality, knowing which emotion in what timing. After realizing Dante has become different interpretations of himself since DMC2 according to Hideki Kamiya over Twitter, I became rather neutral and choose none of them is in my personal favorite "Dante"s... I can like only two of them which are DMC3 and DmC "Dante" because (Thanks again for this @Loopy) they are two sides of the same coin in which they both had a character development which came from "I don't care" to "Now I know my purpose!"

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
One cannot simply hate Dante...

DMC1>DMC2>DMC4(what the hell is with the leather chaps though?)>DMC3>Donte
1: Pretty much perfect. A good balance of the 2 extremes that Dante would be in 2 and 3.
2: The silent badass 'Clint Eastwood wannabe' thing was too out of place for Dante
4: Less annoying than DMC3, but still too much of a joker
3: Waaaay too childish. Though I guess it's acceptable since it was Dante at his youngest
DmC: Yeah........let's not even go there

berto

I Saw the Devil
Dude relax. He was probably just curious as to why you said that.
Pretty much. If it was an true I'd like to know so, like any other influence to DMC, but I wouldn't just take it at face value and simply accept it without something more substantial than an opinion. I've looked and I couldn't find it ever been released in Japan and I don't find any evidence of it having any relation to DMC and to take something in that isn't true as been true is self deception and does no one any good.

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
Guess I'll add to this discussion:

Point plank, I dislike all of the versions of Dante, for the exceptions of DMC1 Dante and DmC Dante. Capcom ruined their flagship hack'n'slash series from the moment that they changed him from the cool, confident guy who we all got to know in the original Devil May Cry. His attitude wasn't too over the top, yet he had an air of confidence about him that really showed.

In DMC 2 they turned him into an emotionless meatpuppet, in DMC3 they turned into a walking circus, and in DMC4 they turned him into an irrelevant character to today's market and general appeal. Every now and then you find a certain character who can really stand the test of time. Characters with a likable personality who'd be appealing to all ages and general demographics. Devil May Cry 1 Dante was one of those characters, should they have kept him he could have become an extremely important character in the gaming industry.

In DmC they were really trying to bring back a more appropriate and relevant Dante. Only they went about it in sort of the wrong way, although they were most certainly trying. Should they choose to proceed onward with DmC2, I feel that Dante could really become what DMC1 Dante was meant to be.

The original Dante/s was never a relevant character to begin with. Much like Duke Nukem, he became more obnoxious as some of us grew up and matured. What we think of as 'awesome' five to six years ago, may seem a little juvenile or ridiculous (Although I can't speak for everyone).

But meh, those are just some of my thoughts and opinions.

Top Bottom