• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is it only me or someone else...?

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Ok, it seems I have a penchant for weird questions, but....

Am I the only one who hates DMC Dante with all of my guts?
I started to like DMC because of Dante, I was his fan and all. He was the "sh*t"( sorry for the word) and all.
But now I find him disguting and annoying, I don't know...He turns me off...
The more I explored the character and learnt his story, the most repulse I felt.It's strange!

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
troll_9c12d5_2135951.jpg

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

I started to like DMC because of Dante, I was his fan and all. He was the "sh*t"( sorry for the word) and all.
The more I explored the character and learnt his story, the most repulse I felt.It's strange!

Which aspects of Dante and his story you find repulsive and disgusting?

Gel

Premium
Ok, let me see!

First, his hypocrisy.Ex: he preaches against revenge and he's moved firstly by revenge more than anything. He annoys me every time he talks about great humans, but at same he seems to look to them as a inferior or something apart.People believes he refuses to kill humans, but he does it a number of times, even if the guys are not better or worse than him.In fact they were no more evil than him, they were just rivals.
The way he ignores Credo: the guy is bleeding, half dead, while Dante is joking as it was nothing. Credo was just a innocent guy whose is greatest sin was to be faithful and loyal to his faith.He saves Credo from his fall, but chooses to ignore the guy because he wants to make lousy jokes.It would be more merciful if he let Credo just fall into the ground, his death would be faster and less painful.
All the DMC seems to use the momma's excuse for everything: he's being an idiot or just plain stupid, lazy or arrogant? You have to forgive him, since he lost his mom.Isn't supposed he solved his mother issues in DMC1? No, he just can't grow up and behave like a grown up man.If he was a real human, he would be treated as a retard and douch*, nobody would take pity on him.
Man, I lost my mother when I was 9 years old to a cancer. She died in a month after we know she had that and I do not behave like that. I grown from that , so why he can't do that?!I'm tired of his fetishes, his cheesyness, his arrogance, his pseudo-everything. I just found his character is just "urban legend" and nothing more.It's my fault since I put him in pedestral that he never deserved.For someone who was inspired on Cobra, sure he's not even a Cobra-wannabe.I'm just tired of him, that's all.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Ok, let me see!

First, his hypocrisy.Ex: he preaches against revenge and he's moved firstly by revenge more than anything. He annoys me every time he talks about great humans, but at same he seems to look to them as a inferior or something apart.People believes he refuses to kill humans, but he does it a number of times, even if the guys are not better or worse than him.In fact they were no more evil than him, they were just rivals.
The way he ignores Credo: the guy is bleeding, half dead, while Dante is joking as it was nothing. Credo was just a innocent guy whose is greatest sin was to be faithful and loyal to his faith.He saves Credo from his fall, but chooses to ignore the guy because he wants to make lousy jokes.It would be more merciful if he let Credo just fall into the ground, his death would be faster and less painful.
All the DMC seems to use the momma's excuse for everything: he's being an idiot or just plain stupid, lazy or arrogant? You have to forgive him, since he lost his mom.Isn't supposed he solved his mother issues in DMC1? No, he just can't grow up and behave like a grown up man.If he was a real human, he would be treated as a retard and douch*, nobody would take pity on him.
Man, I lost my mother when I was 9 years old to a cancer. She died in a month after we know she had that and I do not behave like that. I grown from that , so why he can't do that?!I'm tired of his fetishes, his cheesyness, his arrogance, his pseudo-everything. I just found his character is just "urban legend" and nothing more.It's my fault since I put him in pedestral that he never deserved.For someone who was inspired on Cobra, sure he's not even a Cobra-wannabe.I'm just tired of him, that's all.

Momma's excuse......?

The relevance of his mother's death was only relevant in DMC1.

Since when did Dante preach against revenge?

Gel

Premium
No, his mother is still theme in Anime, even in the ending song was related to her. Even in DMC4 you still see shades of his fixation on his mother. It's everywhere! He just doesn't let it go.
About revenge, it's everywhere too. Look at Project x zone, he's preaching to a girl how revenge is a bad thing.It doesn't matter if is non canon, since they respect the character. He does it to those two demon brothers in anime too.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

I wouldnt call them weird nor would i say Im disgusted with DMC Dante but I feel that DMC Dante has lost his appeal over time as a character.

He's just too shallow and too played to hold my interest.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
First, his hypocrisy.Ex: he preaches against revenge and he's moved firstly by revenge more than anything.
Err what ? i rarely got that vibe from the happy to go lucky chump dante.. just because he said that he hunts demons its not for sheer vengeance like punisher its more like spiderman or batman.

So is spiderman or batman a hypocritical jerk who preaches revenge ?? if that was the case then clearly spiderman would have killed the murderer of his uncle and batman would have killed joe chill neither of them happened.

If dante was seriously that much of a vengeful nutjob he wouldn't be putzing around and chilling out anyway.

Oh btw did i hinder your trolling ? as in trollception ? :troll:
He annoys me every time he talks about great humans, but at same he seems to look to them as a inferior or something apart.
Citation from game required otherwise bullshit ! he respects his mother and he respects humanity more than his demonic heritage.

>People believes he refuses to kill humans, but he does it a number of times
He kills bad humans it doesn't matter who's evil..they only get what's coming to them dante's only doing his job.

>In fact they were no more evil than him, they were just rivals.
Oh really ? i never noticed that Dante was a homicidal monster who wanted to enslave all of humanity and rule the world.. oh wiat HE ISN'T ! you're bullshitng !

>The way he ignores Credo: the guy is bleeding, half dead, while Dante is joking as it was nothing.
As much as i despise DMC 4's dante i am pretty sure that was the only scene he actually became kinda serious and he isn't a magical healer he can't heal wounds ! WTF ? and he actually honored his death by helping nero out.

>but chooses to ignore the guy because he wants to make lousy jokes.
Dante isn't a magical healer Credo was half-dead when dante caught him he could have done nothing.

>It would be more merciful if he let Credo just fall into the ground.
That actually would have been hilarious.

>He's being an idiot or just plain stupid, lazy or arrogant?
In DMC 3 he was arrogant&stupid and in DMC 4 he was just plain lazy because of the writers.

>You have to forgive him, since he lost his mom.
Forgive him for what ?

>Isn't supposed he solved his mother issues in DMC1? No, he just can't grow up and behave like a grown up man.
I'm pretty sure DMC 1's dante behaved like a grown up man.. not a whiny arrogant or a lazy idiot.

look i thought this was a troll thread but now it just seems like an attention seeking one dante is just like many other superheroes who have a past tragedy which made them into the badasses they are.

Geez you're clearing venting your personal problems on a clearly oblivious innocent game character.

Gel

Premium
Oh boy! I just made a question, somebody asked why and I explained why. That's simple.
I couldn't care less about the other heroes you refered, I'm not fan of them either.
So if I'm forbidden of expressing why I dislike something, I ask the moderators to close this threat, please!

DisappointedSparda

The Disappointed
I for one think your complaints about Dante's character are really valid. Dante has become what Duke Nukem is now; a relic of the past that is no longer relevant.

The only thing i can't agree with you mostly is that you're focusing on DMC 4 Dante and DMC Anime Dante, which are the products of Hiroyuki Kobayashi, the person responsible of ruining Dante's character.

And no this thread shouldn't be closed. Its no different with how people who hated Dino kept making threads questioning his character and such. DMC Dante isn't perfect but this also just proves how different he was in every iteration in the original series and that Dino wasn't such change in the original formula on how Capcom kept doing things with DMC's main protagonists.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I for one think your complaints about Dante's character are really valid. Dante has become what Duke Nukem is now; a relic of the past that is no longer relevant.

The only thing i can't agree with you mostly is that you're focusing on DMC 4 Dante and DMC Anime Dante, which are the products of Hiroyuki Kobayashi, the person responsible of ruining Dante's character.

And no this thread shouldn't be closed. Its no different with how people who hated Dino kept making threads questioning his character and such. DMC Dante isn't perfect but this also just proves how different he was in every iteration in the original series and that Dino wasn't such change in the original formula on how Capcom kept doing things with DMC's main protagonists.

You do know he is also referencing material from DMC1 and even non-canon material like Project X Zone, something Capcom wasn't involved with outside letting their characters be used in it.

So he does lose a lot of credibility.

DisappointedSparda

The Disappointed
You do know he is also referencing material from DMC1 and even non-canon material like Project X Zone, something Capcom wasn't involved with outside letting their characters be used in it.

So he does lose a lot of credibility.

And like i said, that's why i can't agree with her wholeheartedly about things. But i also can't ignore that Capcom, especially Kobayashi, have ruined Dante's character. Gel is a "She" btw. Also, Dante wouldn't be acting like he is in Project X Zone if Kobayashi didn't make Dante what he was in DMC 4. This all comes down to DMC 3 and DMC 4 Dante being the most popular Dantes (plural). It just goes to show how inconsistent Capcom has treated Dante's character through every game. Its just so weird when playing DMC 1 then playing DMC 4 how DMC 4 Dante is suppose to be the same character from DMC 1...its like when Soap Operas change actors mid scene with another actor playing the same role. Its jarring and frustrating.

I honestly think the character of Dante needs to go on a long hiatus. Even Capcom realized this with putting Nero in the starring role. Dante just doesn't have the draw he used to have in supporting a game on his own besides combat mechanics, and even that's getting old with other games getting better mechanics then DMC.

Edit: Rockman: Yeah i'm still using it. I don't think there's a problem with that. Its an Acronym. Dante, In, Name, Only. As in it refers that DmC Dante isn't the Original Dante from the old games. Its not meant to be insulting but to differentiate between the two alternate universe versions of him. Also please try to stay on topic. Don't start nitpicking about Dino here when Gel is not talking about him.

Top Bottom