• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

If our positions were switched, would our fates be different? Would I have your life, and you mine?

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Anybody else becoming a fan of this guy's videos?

I personally think that if Dante and Vergil's fates were switched, their personalities would be the same, just Vergil would be the one who values his humanity and lives as a Devil Hunter while Dante would be the one obsessed with power. It's kinda interesting to think about honestly

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Anybody else becoming a fan of this guy's videos?

I personally think that if Dante and Vergil's fates were switched, their personalities would be the same, just Vergil would be the one who values his humanity and lives as a Devil Hunter while Dante would be the one obsessed with power. It's kinda interesting to think about honestly

Vergil's words can apply to a lot of sibling rivalries in games and anime. Travis Touchdown and Jean (Henry Cooldown to a certain extent), Bayonetta and Jeanne (Sisters in spirit, not blood. Umbran sisters afterf all.) Saya and Diva. Vash and Knives. Solid and Liquid. Mondo Zappa and David Zappa. (This ends up being the case at the end of Killer Is Dead. Mondo becomes corrupted by Dark Matter after killing David, taking the latter's place.)

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
If they do another reboot, this might be a good hook to explore.

I read a fanfic called the "Dark Slayer" years ago that tackled this topic. It got me interested in exploring this myself.

Last edited:

windleopard

If they do another reboot, this might be a good hook to explore.

I read a fanfic called the "Dark Slayer" years ago that tackled this topic. It got me interested in exploring this myself.
You wouldn't happen to have a link to this topic would you?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I know two sets of identical twins, and even though both sets of twins had the exact same upbringings as their brothers, the four of them have massively different personalities from each other. If you account for identical DNA (which isn't always exactly identical due to changes over time, genes being switched on and off and such - epigenetics) and for similar upbringing, then different brain development, biochemistry and personal experiences is all that is left. Even twins have different spontaneous patterns in how their blood vessels grow and how their neurons link up. So there's always going to be a difference in personality between any twins, even if there are similarities in general.

If you have a kid that believes he was abandoned vs a kid that believes his mother sacrificed herself for him, that would also probably have a massive effect on decisions and viewpoints later in life. My viewpoints on life are different from my three siblings, because the others were actually planned kids whereas I wasn't, and the way I went through childhood as the first born vs the way they went through were pretty dissimilar. My siblings have a very rosy view of life, where I saw a different side to all of that. The knock-on effects from even one small incident can compound in complexity and lead to totally different life paths and attitudes.

Hypothetical Vergil / Dante reversed would mean they turned out differently due the differences in personality already forming - It would be like an alternate universe version of them because there's no chance they would assume each other's lives spontaneously when they were already divergent.

Top Bottom