• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ideas for DMC 5

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Nero should have been more of a different character to begin with. Not only does he look exactly like Dante, but all he really brought to the table was that arm making me wonder why didn't they just give that to Dante. Maybe that's how he started off.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Vergil should have been more of a different character to begin with, but all he really brought to the table was that Summoned Swords making me wonder why they didn't just give that to Dante. Maybe that's how he started off.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Chancey289: I think he was just trying to be humorous by mimicking what you put but making it about Vergil instead.

If that wasn't the case however then just try to ignore it. Unless he directly insults you then try not to take it as being so personal.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Sorry, I was mocking, but it wasn't personal. The things you said about Nero to insinuate he shouldn't have existed/is a waste of a character ALSO apply to Vergil.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Nero should have been more of a different character to begin with. Not only does he look exactly like Dante, but all he really brought to the table was that arm making me wonder why didn't they just give that to Dante. Maybe that's how he started off.
Yep. I'm not sure where I read it, but they actually wanted Dante to have the arm, as some kind of Devil Arm (pun intended). I'm guessing Nero wasn't ever meant to be in DMC4, since we never actually saw him in the first trailer. The only time we saw him was in some kind of live action trailer.

On him looking exactly the same as Dante... well, not really. Very similar physically, yes... he's related to Dante. And if the games are any indication, Sparda might've looked almost exactly like Dante and Vergil... don't know if the similarity is a demon thing. As for his personality, he's not all that much like Dante.
And all he brought to the table was his arm? What about Exceed? What about his weapons and combos themselves? He did have Streak, which was like a form of Stinger, but other than that, I felt his fighting style was pretty unique. He did bring something to the table, if not much.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
You're really selling Nero short. He doesn't need more devil arms to do combos, and he doesn't need combos to be a fun playable character. I was just saying that out if the items and powers he gained in DMC4, there's plenty he can do, he just needs more allowance to apply it. All of the DEFAULT things you're saying the Devil Bringer can do are what gave Nero combo-ability. He doesn't need to completely redone from the ground up to be playable in DMC5. It's not just an arm, it's HIS ARM. It's not going anywhere, and not being as good at combo-king as Dante is nowhere near a good enough excuse to pretend it wasn't a spiffy mechanic in the last game and make it just an appendage.
Capcom disagrees; according to the unused code in DMC4, Nero was supposed to get a few more weapons. I think he was even supposed to have styles. However, due to time constraints, they had to make do with the basics. Also, almost everybody I've talked to in the fandom disagrees with you; Nero was severely lacking in combos, and if he is to become the only player character (like Dante was in DMC1), then he needs to have more combo potential. DMC is about combos, so its player character can't do without them. The Devil Bringer can only do so much, I think. It's just an arm, not an all-powerful do-it-all mechanic.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yep. I'm not sure where I read it, but they actually wanted Dante to have the arm, as some kind of Devil Arm (pun intended). I'm guessing Nero wasn't ever meant to be in DMC4, since we never actually saw him in the first trailer. The only time we saw him was in some kind of live action trailer.

On him looking exactly the same as Dante... well, not really. Very similar physically, yes... he's related to Dante. And if the games are any indication, Sparda might've looked almost exactly like Dante and Vergil... don't know if the similarity is a demon thing. As for his personality, he's not all that much like Dante.
And all he brought to the table was his arm? What about Exceed? What about his weapons and combos themselves? He did have Streak, which was like a form of Stinger, but other than that, I felt his fighting style was pretty unique. He did bring something to the table, if not much.
It wasn't enough to really garner him as a new character addition though really when you get right down to it.

When I first saw Nero all those years ago, I thought he was Dante with just a new set of clothes.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
It wasn't enough to really garner him as a new character addition though really when you get right down to it.

When I first saw Nero all those years ago, I thought he was Dante with just a new set of clothes.
Meh, I guess it depends on your own definition of that.

Yeah, Nero looks a lot like Dante physically. His face is almost identical to his, really. It's just that Dante's eyes have a slightly different shape, his jawline is a bit more pronounced now that I look at it, and I think Dante's head might be a little bit larger overall, lol. I guess when comparing it to DMC3 Dante, Nero might very nearly be identical to him, yeah.

As a character overall, he still stands firmly on the ground when it comes to attire, his arm, and personality, though. After all, a character is more than just his/her physical appearance.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Ehhhh

Nero was always just discount Dante overall.
I disagree. I mean, he really isn't much alike to DMC3/4 Dante. He was made to be more like a mix of Vergil and Dante - I guess the idea was for him to be like Sparda, as that's one of DMC4's themes - and they did a fair job. DMC1 Dante, I guess he's pretty similar to that. Still not enough to call him a Dante clone, though.

But anyway, this really isn't relevant to the topic. We're supposed to be bringing ideas to the table for DMC5 - and not a reboot or continuation of the reboot in this case - just in the DMC3/4 universe.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I disagree. I mean, he really isn't much alike to DMC3/4 Dante. He was made to be more like a mix of Vergil and Dante - I guess the idea was for him to be like Sparda, as that's one of DMC4's themes - and they did a fair job. DMC1 Dante, I guess he's pretty similar to that. Still not enough to call him a Dante clone, though.
Aside from the angst, he also goes ahead acting cocky mouthing off to demons and shizz just like Dante does.

He's not all that different in general. Like I said, in a nut shell, discount Dante.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Aside from the angst, he also goes ahead acting cocky mouthing off to demons and shizz just like Dante does.

He's not all that different in general. Like I said, in a nut shell, discount Dante.
Acting cocky and mouthing off does not make him identical to Dante in terms of personality. That really makes no sense. Nero is far more serious, and more emotional. He doesn't seem to appreciate people joking with him either, while Dante would probably roll with it somehow and create some nice banter. Aside from that, Nero is straight to the point, and he doesn't even really toy with enemies. Maybe once and that's enough.
Like I said, he's like a combination of Dante and Vergil. That is in no way identical to DMC4 Dante.

And all that is just based on a slight impression of Nero. If he is fleshed out more in DMC5, there'd no doubt there'd be even more things to make him contrast with Dante. The two, while they are alike because obviously they're family, are not identical, nor is Nero a knockoff of Dante just because he also likes to crack wise.

Now, back to the topic, I'd hope.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Acting cocky and mouthing off does not make him identical to Dante in terms of personality. That really makes no sense: if I were to do an impression of yo. Nero is far more serious, and more emotional. He doesn't seem to appreciate people joking with him either, while Dante would probably roll with it somehow and create some nice banter. Aside from that, Nero is straight to the point, and he doesn't even really toy with enemies. Maybe once and that's enough.
Like I said, he's like a combination of Dante and Vergil. That is in no way identical to DMC4 Dante.

And all that is just based on a slight impression of Nero. If he is fleshed out more in DMC5, there'd no doubt there'd be even more things to make him contrast with Dante. The two, while they are alike because obviously they're family, are not identical, nor is Nero a knockoff of Dante just because he also likes to crack wise.

Now, back to the topic, I'd hope.
Come on man. Dante with emotional annoying angst. Pretty much it. I wouldn't have much of an issue with him if he wasn't just so freaking pointless.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Anyway, yes, my defense for Nero (in this thread anyway) is that he's a worthy character to appear (perhaps playable) and that adding devil arms and guns galore isn't the right way to handle Nero as a playable character. I feel that any playable character should have some defining differences. For example, a popular idea for a playable Trish is to incorporate her tactics from MvC3 into a sort of Style set of abilities. Nero's Devil Bringer is a significant aspect of his character as well as gameplay, if a proper sequel were to occur, I highly expect his Devil Bringer to obtain different functions throughout his gameplay, not random weapons and such. If he were to gain natural use of Yamato and one more firearm, that's the most I would expect.

Frazz

General gamer
On the subject of Nero all that can be said is he needed more moves, more weapons and a personality that doesn't revolve around a paper-thin love subplot. Then he'd be fine... if he also had less angst.

On topic though, I'd love to see a more jaded Dante who is alone (Trish and Lady having moved on to other things) and the fact that he is never recognised by the humans for his good deeds causes him to lose interest in demon hunting. This would allow an improved Nero (with the above changes) to have to fight off demons for about 5 or so missions and eventually convincing Dante to get back in the game with 20 missions as Dante. I'd also love extra missions with Trish and Lady being playable which would be unlocked by completing certain tasks or finishing the game on various difficulties.

That would be my ideal DMC5.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Acting cocky and mouthing off does not make him identical to Dante in terms of personality.

To be fair, there are some easily noticed similarities, but these are justified. Neither Dante or Nero seem to really take their enemies seriously (just see their respective reactions to Berial, Demon Frog brothers, Agnus) but that is simply because they are nearly invulnerable, they can kill most enemies (even "boss" demons) with no trouble at all, and they know it. Other than that, they are quite different. As you said, Nero is more to the point while Dante screws around more, and it shows in their combat styles as well.

Top Bottom