• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ideas for DMC 5

TonyRedgraveDMC

Well I don't like the "give him more weapons" thing, it took me a while to accept the Blue Rose, but with time I decided because it was a double-barrel, that it was *almost* good as dual-wielding handguns. So if Nero gets Devil Arms per se, they should manifest through his Devil Bringer like the Yamato or his Anima Mercury.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Well I don't like the "give him more weapons" thing, it took me a while to accept the Blue Rose, but with time I decided because it was a double-barrel, that it was *almost* good as dual-wielding handguns. So if Nero gets Devil Arms per se, they should manifest through his Devil Bringer like the Yamato or his Anima Mercury.
But how would that work? Nero can only use the Yamato in his Devil Trigger, not through use of his Devil Bringer. So... you mean he could only use more weapons if he were in Devil Trigger mode? That sounds kind of annoying, tbh. He'd only be able to use weapons for a few seconds before they disappeared along with his DT.

I still say make him more like Dante or Vergil in terms of combat mechanics. He just had way too little potential in DMC4. Using the Red Queen a bit with the Exceed function got old really fast. He just didn't have enough combos at his disposal... so he should either get more weapons or somehow more combos per weapon. I'm partial to more weapons myself, because it increases the versatility of his combos.

Blue_Rose

One way to get yourself shot
But how would that work? Nero can only use the Yamato in his Devil Trigger, not through use of his Devil Bringer. So... you mean he could only use more weapons if he were in Devil Trigger mode? That sounds kind of annoying, tbh. He'd only be able to use weapons for a few seconds before they disappeared along with his DT.

I still say make him more like Dante or Vergil in terms of combat mechanics. He just had way too little potential in DMC4. Using the Red Queen a bit with the Exceed function got old really fast. He just didn't have enough combos at his disposal... so he should either get more weapons or somehow more combos per weapon. I'm partial to more weapons myself, because it increases the versatility of his combos.
The weapons system could be the same as DMC3 for Nero. Two devil arms that you're able to switch between although one has to be Red Queen. And around four other unlockable Devil Arms. As for the firearms, the same thing, requiring Blue Rose and another gun. I think we should give Nero the supernatural firearms (Artemis, Nightmare B in past games) and give Dante the military-like guns like the bazooka, shotgun, etc. And give Nero and Dante respective advantages like for example Dante had mobility and Vergil had raw power (in terms of DMC3).

The Final Offer

Here's the most well thought out post in this thread.

Time Jumping.

Everyone, think about TIME JUMPING.

Now we don't need to argue over which timeline the game should be in, because it's going to span across them all with flashbacks, gameplay mechanics, and secret missions.

I'd like it to be Nero @ Fortuna Castle area. Dante at Devil May Cry area. Vergil in the Demonworld.

BAM! Got yourself a 10/10 game.

Blue_Rose

Oh the time jumping. We have a game, then the sequel, then the prequel, then a prequel-sequel.
But what would Dante be doing on Mallet Island for a DMC5?

Picard

Starfleet Demon
The weapons system could be the same as DMC3 for Nero. Two devil arms that you're able to switch between although one has to be Red Queen. And around four other unlockable Devil Arms. As for the firearms, the same thing, requiring Blue Rose and another gun. I think we should give Nero the supernatural firearms (Artemis, Nightmare B in past games) and give Dante the military-like guns like the bazooka, shotgun, etc. And give Nero and Dante respective advantages like for example Dante had mobility and Vergil had raw power (in terms of DMC3).

I just got an idea for Nero's second firearm... may not be very practical, though:
http://thomas-galvin.com/blog/?p=21

What I'd really like is for Nero to be able to use Yamato outside DT. So he wouldn't have styles like Dante does, but one could switch between Red Queen (for slower, more powerful attacks) and Yamato (for faster attacks), and so adjust playstyle to his/her own preference.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I just got an idea for Nero's second firearm... may not be very practical, though:

What I'd really like is for Nero to be able to use Yamato outside DT. So he wouldn't have styles like Dante does, but one could switch between Red Queen (for slower, more powerful attacks) and Yamato (for faster attacks), and so adjust playstyle to his/her own preference.
Seems like a good idea. Reminds me of Vergil in DMC3. Very appropriate.
The picture of the gunblade I'm not really digging, but the idea of a gunblade in DMC5 is pretty awesome. What I find strange is that that person calls gunblades impractical. Seems pretty practical in FFXIII.

I'd say it suits Nero. Vergil uses swords, Dante loves firearms, and Nero uses both combined.

*Unreal announcer voice*: INSTA-WIN.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
The picture of the gunblade I'm not really digging, but the idea of a gunblade in DMC5 is pretty awesome. What I find strange is that that person calls gunblades impractical. Seems pretty practical in FFXIII.

Reason is that with revolver or pistol, you won't have as good grip for thrusting as with knife (unlike rifles, where addition of a bayonett turns rifle into a short spear). That being said, it might come in handy in some situations.

I'd say it suits Nero. Vergil uses swords, Dante loves firearms, and Nero uses both combined.

*Unreal announcer voice*: INSTA-WIN.

Fully agree. Which made me thinking...

This should probably go into another thread, but OTOH I suspect there was a boatload of such threads:

Nero has red and blue (Dante is red, Vergil is blue), Nero uses both swords and firearms (Dante loves firearms, Vergil hates them), Nero closes Hell Gates but does not destroy them...

So as I see it there are following possibilities (in order of likelyhood):
1) Nero is a distant descendant of Sparda (most likely, as the fact that his hand seems to be in full DT all the time suggests that he is less than 1/2 demon)
2) Nero is Sparda reincarnated
3) Nero is Dante's / Vergil's son

Unfortunately, there isn't anything definite to go by, so I'd also like for DMC 5 to clean it up, by rearranging timelines if need be (it isn't like revisions haven't happened before).

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Fully agree. Which made me thinking...

This should probably go into another thread, but OTOH I suspect there was a boatload of such threads:

Nero has red and blue (Dante is red, Vergil is blue), Nero uses both swords and firearms (Dante loves firearms, Vergil hates them), Nero closes Hell Gates but does not destroy them...

So as I see it there are following possibilities (in order of likelyhood):
1) Nero is a distant descendant of Sparda (most likely, as the fact that his hand seems to be in full DT all the time suggests that he is less than 1/2 demon)
2) Nero is Sparda reincarnated
3) Nero is Dante's / Vergil's son

Unfortunately, there isn't anything definite to go by, so I'd also like for DMC 5 to clean it up, by rearranging timelines if need be (it isn't like revisions haven't happened before).
Yeah, everything points to Nero being related to Sparda in some profound way.

1 Berial says he's just like Sparda was.
2 Nero gets this purple aura thingy in some cutscenes when he takes the Yamato.
3 He wears red and blue, which combines into purple.
4 He's got the Red Queen and Blue Rose.
5 His story is the reverse of Sparda's story. Sparda sacrificed much of his demonic side, while Nero sacrificed part of his human side to become a demon.

What else... well Sanctus says that he's a descendant of Sparda's blood. Also, that he ''carries the blood of Sparda''. Whether he means that literally or figuratively, no idea.

Remember the thread about his origins? There were some interesting ideas there. Being a reincarnation of Sparda probably wouldn't work, as reincarnations don't typically share the original's blood. It all came down to Nero being a total mystery. His arm is what makes it all so weird, and it's sad, because his arm is probably just a gameplay gimmick. It was never intended to make sense.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Well since we're discussing updated gameplay mechanics, no reason he CAN'T use Yamato and other Devil Arms or powers are Devil Bringer techniques, and that's what I'm suggesting.

Blue_Rose

You mean in DMC 1? Because in 4 and in 2, he's nowhere to be found.

Either way, he promised he would return.
But the process would take 2000 years. Although I do see where you're going at because there was the "Mundus Vinvendi" easter egg in DMC4.

Gunblade? That looks SSStylish! Maybe give it a "gun stinger" move like Coyote A. And I imagine Nero would use Yamato out of DT in a DMC5.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Might not be the newest thread about ideas for DMC5 (though I'm not sure), but here goes:

STORY
Go on with Nero, who learns where he came from. I suppose it's still likely he's Vergil's son; maybe Vergil tried to create a son rather than have sex with a human woman. His goal would've been to create a combination of his and Sparda's DNA. Or he's just a normal son of Vergil... it wouldn't fit the symbolism in DMC4, but whatever.
Nero will be the one outside of Dante's shop at the end of DMC2, revving his sword, possibly hoping to fight Dante or fighting off demons. He'll go into hell to find Dante and possibly fight side by side with him for a short while. Maybe Dante is actually imprisoned, and Nero's origins tie into freeing him somehow.
Nero (or Dante) should defeat Mundus's son or daughter - this would explain why in DMC4 it says ''Mundus Vivendi''. Not literally perhaps, but at least it makes some sense.
Make Dante a little more like his DMC1 incarnation, or find some way to explain why his personality changed to what we see in DMC2. Maybe Lady or Trish died or is missing? I dunno. I'd like it if Lady or Trish would at least kick some ass in this installment.

GAMEPLAY
More customizability, and the return of costumes. Why not give Nero a Sparda costume, or a DMC3 Vergil costume, or both? Dante can have his DMC2 and DMC1 outfits aside from his normal one, which is a cross between DMC4 and DMC2 clothing if possible.
Nero should be a tinkerer - I mean, he did have his sword customized. Maybe make some way to return to Dante's shop to customize? Nero could change the Red Queen by improving its damage but making it slower, giving it blue flames in Exceed (like Vergil's color). Can also make it faster but weaker, giving it a red flame (like Dante's color). Nero should also get a throwable spear, as I think that's the kind of weapon we've been missing. Dual katanas could be nice too. Nero should be able to use the Yamato normally after getting his own real Devil Trigger -- the Vergil DT he's got in DMC4 can serve as a Majin form.

GRAPHICS
It should be gothic like DMC3, but some parts should be more upbeat just to avoid it getting stale. Think DMC4-like, or maybe more manic like in DmC. At least for hell a manic/demented style would work. A cross between DMC4 and DMC3 could be interesting. The engine running the game should be more like the one used by DMC4, which was a great PC engine.

SOUNDTRACK
The soundtrack should go back to the quality of DMC1, though I had no issues with some combat music like that in DMC3 or DMC4. Again, a combination could work. DMC1 OST track 5.... aaaaaw yisss.

All this without westernization, of course, as this isn't a reboot or spin-off.

TonyRedgraveDMC

I can agree with Nero wielding Yamato or Red Queen (devil arm and high-tech human sword) perhaps Blue Rose and a devilish firearm similar to Pandora/Artemis. Other than that, I seriously think Nero's devil bringer DOES make him a playable character with a lot of potential. Like I mentioned before, I liked that Dante & Nero were very similar to Megaman and Zero in the way they accepted demonic upgrades. I think Dante should acquire weapons and improve his styles, while Nero acquires multiple different forms (utilised with the style change button) for his Devil Bringer, giving him obscure but unique powers. Tbh I have a fan character (and fanfiction) in the works, and as a gameplay concept I imagine his default devil arm (like Dante's is Rebellion and Vergil's is Yamato) to be whip with aesthetics resembling a [demonic] chameleon's tail and/or tongue, and changing styles would allow him to grapple differently (for example, one style may give him a higher % chance of releasing green orbs from enemies slain with the whip) Back on track, my point is the thing that makes Nero a worthy character is his differences from Dante, mainly the fact that he doesn't rely on Devil Arms and Styles and has his own unique weapon against demons; his Devil Bringer. It's not something about Nero you can just ignore, and if it would be included (a definite yes) then to make the Devil Bringer mechanic worth putting in, it would have to be a primary ability of Nero's, even if it was able to differ in certain situations.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I can agree with Nero wielding Yamato or Red Queen (devil arm and high-tech human sword) perhaps Blue Rose and a devilish firearm similar to Pandora/Artemis. Other than that, I seriously think Nero's devil bringer DOES make him a playable character with a lot of potential. Like I mentioned before, I liked that Dante & Nero were very similar to Megaman and Zero in the way they accepted demonic upgrades. I think Dante should acquire weapons and improve his styles, while Nero acquires multiple different forms (utilised with the style change button) for his Devil Bringer, giving him obscure but unique powers. Tbh I have a fan character (and fanfiction) in the works, and as a gameplay concept I imagine his default devil arm (like Dante's is Rebellion and Vergil's is Yamato) to be whip with aesthetics resembling a [demonic] chameleon's tail and/or tongue, and changing styles would allow him to grapple differently (for example, one style may give him a higher % chance of releasing green orbs from enemies slain with the whip) Back on track, my point is the thing that makes Nero a worthy character is his differences from Dante, mainly the fact that he doesn't rely on Devil Arms and Styles and has his own unique weapon against demons; his Devil Bringer. It's not something about Nero you can just ignore, and if it would be included (a definite yes) then to make the Devil Bringer mechanic worth putting in, it would have to be a primary ability of Nero's, even if it was able to differ in certain situations.
The DB is a nice mechanic, but I'm not sure it can make up for Nero's lack of combos. With Nero, I really keep returning to the same old four or five attacks, and it's not enough to make for riveting gameplay. Devil May Cry is all about combos, and Nero doesn't quite deliver. Maybe if the DB can change into different forms it could do combos, but right now all I see is that it can be used to throw enemies on the ground, fling them away, that sort of thing. Basically, it's just an arm with some ethereal stretching and grabbing abilities, and it probably wouldn't make sense to change the DB's abilities into things like sword strikes or whips. So the only option, in my opinion, would be to give him a few more weapons, or maybe just two or three weapons that can fulfill several functions.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Just saying, if we were to play as Lady or Trish for example, they wouldn't fit your narrow combo-oriented standards. It's best to be true to the characters than to make every character conform to combo-crazy expectations. Imagine if you could control all of Nero's DB abilities from DMC4 on the fly (flinging Chrono Slicers all over the place or imo animating empty angelo armors, slowing down time, manipulating plants, etc) Nero has potential for powering up his Devil Bringer with more malleable abilities. He also was unable to punch enemies with a huge powered up punch with the Devil Bringer during gameplay. Nero doesn't have to conform to Dante's specifications.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Just saying, if we were to play as Lady or Trish for example, they wouldn't fit your narrow combo-oriented standards. It's best to be true to the characters than to make every character conform to combo-crazy expectations. Imagine if you could control all of Nero's DB abilities from DMC4 on the fly (flinging Chrono Slicers all over the place or imo animating empty angelo armors, slowing down time, manipulating plants, etc) Nero has potential for powering up his Devil Bringer with more malleable abilities. He also was unable to punch enemies with a huge powered up punch with the Devil Bringer during gameplay. Nero doesn't have to conform to Dante's specifications.
You think Lady or Trish couldn't do combos? I don't see why not. But anyway, I didn't mean Trish and/or Lady should be playable - I don't want that. Also, if Nero is to become the protagonist of DMC, his gameplay should focus on combos -- DMC is about combos, it isn't Mega Man. Almost everybody felt disappointed by Nero's lack of combos, so yeah, I think something should change about Nero's gameplay. The DB is cool, but it doesn't help his combos all that much. A few more abilities for the DB at the very least would be nice. But still, it's only an arm, and logically all it would be able to do is punch enemies, throw them away or pull them towards him. If Capcom wants to turn his arm into something that can animate Angelo armors somehow by getting into them, that could work. If not logical, it could still be interesting.

Last edited:

TonyRedgraveDMC

You're really selling Nero short. He doesn't need more devil arms to do combos, and he doesn't need combos to be a fun playable character. I was just saying that out if the items and powers he gained in DMC4, there's plenty he can do, he just needs more allowance to apply it. All of the DEFAULT things you're saying the Devil Bringer can do are what gave Nero combo-ability. He doesn't need to completely redone from the ground up to be playable in DMC5. It's not just an arm, it's HIS ARM. It's not going anywhere, and not being as good at combo-king as Dante is nowhere near a good enough excuse to pretend it wasn't a spiffy mechanic in the last game and make it just an appendage.

Top Bottom