• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I finished DMC4

KillerIsDeadFor Real

So hi everyone.

I was able to get DMC4 early and was able to also finish it on easy mode. And all I can say is...It's now my least favorite DMC.

I thought I would like it right away, but...I guess I was wrong.

So I'll break it down in a few things;

Gameplay
I really liked the gameplay. It really was a cool mechanic to play wit and was really nice and fluid to try out. I was doing some pretty sweet combos and having a blast with the missions. However there were some things that I wasn't too fond of. When I was playing as Nero, the enemies seemed to be okay. But when I play as Dante, they're all of a sudden flying away from me with almost all my attacks. So I had to keep using stinger to get to them faster, which only pushed them away farther. The cycling through a lot of weapons annoyed me greatly and I ended up getting the weapon I didn't want right away, which felt a bit clunky to me. Jump canceling was basic so I had fun with that. (A friend taught me JC)^_^ Then there was my DmC habit of pulling them back with the grapple, but instead I was either targeting or switching weapons. I did enjoy Nero more because his gameplay was similar to DmC Dantes so that made it easier for me to play as him. But I hated that I was so grounded. I couldn't leap high into the air and really give it to them like in DmC. But I easily jumped into my DMC1 style and was fine. Still I usually enjoy games that take me in the air like Kingdom Hearts 2, DmC, or Bayonetta.

Graphics
The graphics and environment were absolutely stunning. From the city, to the forest and all over was great to see. I really felt like I was in new destinations and having a great time exploring them all. However I started to miss the Gothic styled places of DMC1, along with the street and modern scenery of DmC. plus I'm so used to buildings breaking apart and such that DMC4 felt a bit dull in comparison. Still I really liked how everything popped and felt so real to my eyes...till i had to see them all again while backtracking ala, Dante.

Story
The story was one of the things I didn't really enjoy. The story at first looked like it was going pretty good but as I played more and more, I couldn't help but feel like I was playing a Bleach game. I also don't like Bleach, so I guess that was another reason why the story didn't set well with me. Then I played as Dante, hoping he had a story, but I was a bit sad to find out he really didn't have one and was just cleaning up Nero's mess.:(

Characters
The characters were on and off for me. I liked Nero a lot because I enjoy a good rebel, such is my liking of DmC Dante. However, I didn't like that he seemed extremely fixated on Kyrie. I understand it was his girlfriend, but he seemed to be obsessed with her. But that could also be because it was his first love and he didn't take it well. Kyrie was sweet and I really felt bad she was taken away, but she really didn't have much character with her. Credos reminded me a bit of Vergil if he was a good guy still. The Lady seemed to not do much except get Dante going to Fortuna, and that's it. I was happy to see Trish again, and she looked way sexy in HD.:blush: Finding out she was Gloria was a shock to me! Sanctus was an interesting villian for wanting to be looked at as a god. But the one character that really turned me off was Dante. He seemed a bit too immature in this one compared to the DMC's I've played. (DMC1, and DmC) He was like a teenager that liked to dress up in...chaps. I don't mind chaps, but something about the way he wore them didn't seem right to me. he seemed to actually be trying too hard to be cool, and was kind of lazy for not finishing all the bad stuff going on, instead of sitting back and letting Nero do all the work.

Difficulty
The game seemed pretty easy for the most part. The only problem I had was with Dante. He was actually the only enemy I had a problem beating. Everyone else was pretty simple to defeat and not one of them gave me a problem. But then again I was also on easy mode so maybe that's why. I hope to play DMD mode soon to see how hard this game really is. If its harder then DMC1's unforgiving levels, then I'll try it out.

All in all

in terms of a score, I give it a 6/10

I liked some features it had, but I just didn't get into it like I do with DMC1 or DmC. It was ok in some places but in others I couldn't feel it.

I hope to try out DMC3 next, and even DMC2.^_^

seraphmaycry

have with dmc2......

in all seriousness though dmc4 feels like half a game if dante did his own stuff then i would consider a full game

if this was done it might be better then even DmC

seriously though i hope you enjoy dmc2/3 im still playing through dmc1 on hard mode im nearly done with it:)

then comes DMD ironically im more scared of shadows cats then any other enemy dont know why they are the biggest threat probably something about my fighting style

Onecrazymonkey1

You wrote a nice review.

I also think the characters and story for DMC4 was what really bothered me which is a shame because that can make or break a game for me. I also liked Nero as well (how could someone not?) and could never understand the hate people had for him. I also thought he was more mature than Dante at times and I probably would have enjoyed 4 more if I just got to use Nero for the whole game.

I know gameplay should be the most important element in a game, especially for a DMC title but I still feel that the company should care about story elements at least a little; all in all I feel like they wrote the story in under 5 minutes. (non related) if you're into story elements as much as I am, the Witcher 1 and 2 are great games to check out (although you would probably prefer the action in 2) :) shameless name drop for games I love but oh well.

I hope you have fun with DMC3, the relationship between Dante and his brother Vergil is really interesting and I think a top highlight. DMC3 can get a little cheesy and Dante can be quite the show off in it, but he's pretty young and it's also part of the reason I like it so much (aside from the gameplay being phenomenal in my opinion). I would like to see a review on DMC3 when you're done because you seem pretty unbiased and would like to read your opinion.

Happy playing!

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
then comes DMD ironically im more scared of shadows cats then any other enemy dont know why they are the biggest threat probably something about my fighting style

Just CH them, they become fairly easy if you do.It's only when you get more than one it becomes a problem.
1 v 1 with a shadow can actually be a fairly chilled out fight as they aren't very aggressive unless provoked which gives you ample time to set up the CH.

RhythmDemon

Half Demon
Am I the only one who liked DMC4's story T.T . There were very few things that felt unfinished. Mainly just Nero :/ .

Nice review though. You will love 3 as in most peoples opinion it is the best. 2 is fun but not great and of course 1 is a masterpiece.

Valcorn

Ugh, Nero was the protagonist, introducing him, getting all vague about his connections to Sparda and then showing middle finger and rebooting the series sounds like unfinished to me.
Since the most important thing didn't get explained, DMC4 was all about a guy saving his girfriend from religious fanatics.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
DMC4 was all about a guy saving his girfriend from religious fanatics.
resident-evil-4-leon-wallpapers-pairing-with-ashley.jpg

Onecrazymonkey1

Really ?
Why not just say you prefer The Reboot over DevilMayCry 4 instead of beating around the bush & giving a flimsy review heavily influenced by your love of the Reboot & be done with it.
Really?
He's not allowed to write a review just like everyone else does on here? You could just give the kid a break, he gave it a fair shot. He also stated many times in numerous places that he loves DMC1 and I actually don't think a six out of ten is that bad (he didn't say that he hated the game). He might end up playing DMC3 and liking it better than the reboot, who knows?

Anyway I can see how this board can scare away new fans to the classic DMC games but whatever.

Oh and even playing the DMC games since the beginning.....I liked the reboot more

Onecrazymonkey1

Sure he's allowed to write a review all he wants, but at this time it's seems flimsy at best.
It comes off sounding like a slick way of praising The Reboot.

I know it might seem that way to some, but he's new to the whole series and he honestly seems nice; he was really eager to try all the games out. He does love the first DMC (I believe he even said that he tied it with the reboot in another thread) and really I think most people will always love the first one they play. I know that DMC1 is one of my favorites even over 3 and I'm not even sure if that's just my nostalgia that's kicking in (Because I absolutely love DMC3!!!!!! sorry fan-girl moment).

on an unrelated note, my computer keeps freezing on me and I'm ready to toss it out the window >_<

Onecrazymonkey1

On a DevilMayCry note: I didn't like the 1st much, i hated the shadow cat enemies.

I love/hated the marionettes but only because they used scare the crap out of me! I know I'm weird :/
I thought the atmosphere in DMC1 was awesome, because I like getting a little scared from time to time and I missed it from the later games (although I could have just been young and a sissy ha)

KillerIsDeadFor Real

Really ?
Why not just say you prefer The Reboot over DevilMayCry 4 instead of beating around the bush & giving a flimsy review heavily influenced by your love of the Reboot & be done with it.

The Reboot is out & isn't selling well okay.
Stop lowering yourselves by taking cheap shots at the originals & knocking them all to hell because your all over The Reboot like a bad coat.
Be the gamer you are & just say HEY I LIKE THE REBOOT MORE & end it.

Wow. I'm just doing a review. So sorry I have an opinion.:ermm:

KillerIsDeadFor Real

Okay tell ya what i'll give him the benefit of being new & eager.
But there's been new members wanting to Troll & start flame threads over the Reboot. So we're all tired of the nonsense & skeptical of new people wanting to be members & not Reboot trolls.

On a DevilMayCry note: I didn't like the 1st much, i hated the shadow cat enemies.

Okay then.^_^

I also can't wait to play DMC3. I heard it was the best.

But there's been new members wanting to Troll & start flame threads over the Reboot. So we're all tired of the nonsense & skeptical of new people wanting to be members & not Reboot trolls.

The music used to scare me the most, the sirens, the panic like feel it was giving off. It was fitting but geez that cat puts up one heck of a fight.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I love fighting shadows, even in narrow corridors like the first corridor area. Best regular enemy in the game.

Also the sin scythes put up a good fight.

Enemies of DMC1 were awesome and felt satisfying to kill, even the marionettes weren't boring and had variety, the ability to lull you into a false sense of security with them. On higher difficulties even these lowly grunts can string you up or take half your health bar with one shot from the gun twirling ones.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
[quote="KillerIsDeadFor Real, post: 442139, member: 24763" Sanctus was an interesting villian for wanting to be looked at as a god. But the one character that really turned me off was Dante. He seemed a bit too immature in this one compared to the DMC's I've played. (DMC1, and DmC) He was like a teenager that liked to dress up in...chaps. I don't mind chaps, but something about the way he wore them didn't seem right to me. he seemed to actually be trying too hard to be cool, and was kind of lazy for not finishing all the bad stuff going on, instead of sitting back and letting Nero do all the work.[/quote]

Really? Sanctus was interesting because he wanted to be a God? Have you even noticed Arkham in DMC3?
Dante wasn't immature, he just used humor you can't appreciate, apparently. Which is fine, but you can't call it childish. Not more childish than DMC3's humor, anyway. Some people find sarcasm the lowest form of humor. Again, that doesn't mean it actually is.

Credo probably reminded you of Vergil in part because he was voiced by Daniel Southworth, who voiced Vergil in DMC3. No offense, but it's Credo, not Credos.

Overall, I can't say I found this to be an unbiased review, sorry. A 6/10 is perhaps a bit low, considering each part of the game gets an unspoken of grade; story, gameplay, graphics and soundtrack. I think you're comparing this too much to a totally different game that set an emotional standard for you. Comparing games to others is not a good idea in reviews, anyway, It should be judged for what it is.

That said, it was well phrased and all that. Just a bit heavy on opinions.

GF9000000Returns

Gotta agree with you on that. Even I am myself. Can't we all enjoy what we got?

Anyways, to the TC, if you try that game in DMD, try to train yourself in the SOS difficulty just for a couple fights, Agnus and Sanctus. I remember when I first had the game a few years ago (2009...back when I was a sophomore. Time does fly) Agnus was a pain in the ass and Sanctus was...just ANNOYING!!

Top Bottom