• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I finished DMC4

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
So hi everyone.

I was able to get DMC4 early and was able to also finish it on easy mode. And all I can say is...It's now my least favorite DMC.

I thought I would like it right away, but...I guess I was wrong.

So I'll break it down in a few things;

Gameplay
I really liked the gameplay. It really was a cool mechanic to play wit and was really nice and fluid to try out. I was doing some pretty sweet combos and having a blast with the missions. However there were some things that I wasn't too fond of. When I was playing as Nero, the enemies seemed to be okay. But when I play as Dante, they're all of a sudden flying away from me with almost all my attacks. So I had to keep using stinger to get to them faster, which only pushed them away farther. The cycling through a lot of weapons annoyed me greatly and I ended up getting the weapon I didn't want right away, which felt a bit clunky to me. Jump canceling was basic so I had fun with that. (A friend taught me JC)^_^ Then there was my DmC habit of pulling them back with the grapple, but instead I was either targeting or switching weapons. I did enjoy Nero more because his gameplay was similar to DmC Dantes so that made it easier for me to play as him. But I hated that I was so grounded. I couldn't leap high into the air and really give it to them like in DmC. But I easily jumped into my DMC1 style and was fine. Still I usually enjoy games that take me in the air like Kingdom Hearts 2, DmC, or Bayonetta.

Graphics
The graphics and environment were absolutely stunning. From the city, to the forest and all over was great to see. I really felt like I was in new destinations and having a great time exploring them all. However I started to miss the Gothic styled places of DMC1, along with the street and modern scenery of DmC. plus I'm so used to buildings breaking apart and such that DMC4 felt a bit dull in comparison. Still I really liked how everything popped and felt so real to my eyes...till i had to see them all again while backtracking ala, Dante.

Story
The story was one of the things I didn't really enjoy. The story at first looked like it was going pretty good but as I played more and more, I couldn't help but feel like I was playing a Bleach game. I also don't like Bleach, so I guess that was another reason why the story didn't set well with me. Then I played as Dante, hoping he had a story, but I was a bit sad to find out he really didn't have one and was just cleaning up Nero's mess.:(

Characters
The characters were on and off for me. I liked Nero a lot because I enjoy a good rebel, such is my liking of DmC Dante. However, I didn't like that he seemed extremely fixated on Kyrie. I understand it was his girlfriend, but he seemed to be obsessed with her. But that could also be because it was his first love and he didn't take it well. Kyrie was sweet and I really felt bad she was taken away, but she really didn't have much character with her. Credos reminded me a bit of Vergil if he was a good guy still. The Lady seemed to not do much except get Dante going to Fortuna, and that's it. I was happy to see Trish again, and she looked way sexy in HD.:blush: Finding out she was Gloria was a shock to me! Sanctus was an interesting villian for wanting to be looked at as a god. But the one character that really turned me off was Dante. He seemed a bit too immature in this one compared to the DMC's I've played. (DMC1, and DmC) He was like a teenager that liked to dress up in...chaps. I don't mind chaps, but something about the way he wore them didn't seem right to me. he seemed to actually be trying too hard to be cool, and was kind of lazy for not finishing all the bad stuff going on, instead of sitting back and letting Nero do all the work.

Difficulty
The game seemed pretty easy for the most part. The only problem I had was with Dante. He was actually the only enemy I had a problem beating. Everyone else was pretty simple to defeat and not one of them gave me a problem. But then again I was also on easy mode so maybe that's why. I hope to play DMD mode soon to see how hard this game really is. If its harder then DMC1's unforgiving levels, then I'll try it out.

All in all

in terms of a score, I give it a 6/10

I liked some features it had, but I just didn't get into it like I do with DMC1 or DmC. It was ok in some places but in others I couldn't feel it.

I hope to try out DMC3 next, and even DMC2.^_^
That's a nice presentation of what you did and didn't like about the game :)

Onecrazymonkey1

And the fact you'd fight more then one at a time or you'd leave the room & re-enter & they'd respawn.
I like the original DevilMayCry 1 to 4 much better, they're more challenging.

I will agree about the challenging part, that's one thing I definitely prefer in games when I'm in the mood for it. I don't really think I'm a great gamer so when something gives me a challenge and I win I feel like a total badass :cool:; The whole “Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” quote rings true for me on many levels. I'm actually surprised I'm still alive and the Shadow cats didn't give me a brain aneurysm they were so difficult for me. You can be sure I did a victory dance every time I slaughtered one.

KillerIsDeadFor Real

[quote="KillerIsDeadFor Real, post: 442139, member: 24763" Sanctus was an interesting villian for wanting to be looked at as a god. But the one character that really turned me off was Dante. He seemed a bit too immature in this one compared to the DMC's I've played. (DMC1, and DmC) He was like a teenager that liked to dress up in...chaps. I don't mind chaps, but something about the way he wore them didn't seem right to me. he seemed to actually be trying too hard to be cool, and was kind of lazy for not finishing all the bad stuff going on, instead of sitting back and letting Nero do all the work.

Really? Sanctus was interesting because he wanted to be a God? Have you even noticed Arkham in DMC3?
Dante wasn't immature, he just used humor you can't appreciate, apparently. Which is fine, but you can't call it childish. Not more childish than DMC3's humor, anyway. Some people find sarcasm the lowest form of humor. Again, that doesn't mean it actually is.

Credo probably reminded you of Vergil in part because he was voiced by Daniel Southworth, who voiced Vergil in DMC3. No offense, but it's Credo, not Credos.

Overall, I can't say I found this to be an unbiased review, sorry. A 6/10 is perhaps a bit low, considering each part of the game gets an unspoken of grade; story, gameplay, graphics and soundtrack. I think you're comparing this too much to a totally different game that set an emotional standard for you. Comparing games to others is not a good idea in reviews, anyway, It should be judged for what it is.

That said, it was well phrased and all that. Just a bit heavy on opinions.
[/quote]

I never said It was going to be professional. I just said these were more my thoughts and opinions on the game is all. No harm.

Onecrazymonkey1

[/quote]

Have you even noticed Arkham in DMC3? I don't think he played DMC3 yet though :/

I think you're comparing this too much to a totally different game that set an emotional standard for you. Comparing games to others is not a good idea in reviews, anyway, It should be judged for what it is.

See, I actually agree with you here but sometimes I think that's easier said then done even if people don't want to admit it. I mean I can't count how many times people compare the reboot to the classic DMCs; someone will make a perfectly valid point and then say "but DMC3 or 4 did it like this" and "I don't think the game would be that horrible if it wasn't a DMC title".

I do have to admit sometimes if I even gave 4 a fair chance myself. I loved DMC3 Dante's personality because I thought he was young and brash and I truly felt that by the end of the game he matured a lot. By the time they came out with DMC4 I was expecting Dante to go back to the original Dante's personality (my favorite one of all time) and was pretty disappointed that he seemed like a rehash of 3 but much older which I thought was strange. I really need to try to play 4 again without comparing it to the original and see how I like it. The reboot was easier for me to disconnect because I see it as an alternate universe.

I still won't forgive what they did to Lady though. >_<

[/quote]

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

I never said It was going to be professional. I just said these were more my thoughts and opinions on the game is all. No harm.[/quote]

I never said it had to be professional; just unbiased. But I see your point. In that sense, it's not so much a review as a simple listing of thoughts, indeed.

aoshi

I never said it had to be professional; just unbiased. But I see your point. In that sense, it's not so much a review as a simple listing of thoughts, indeed.

Dude, he is 14. When i read "I completed the game on easy mode. I give it a 6/10"....I was like easy mode does not even unlock bloody palace....:blink:.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Yeah, I thought it was Dan at first since they had originally let out that he was Credo's Mo-Cap actor, and thought he was really good at altering his voice until I got a good listen to Credo, and then found out it was TJ.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Yeah, I thought it was Dan at first since they had originally let out that he was Credo's Mo-Cap actor, and thought he was really good at altering his voice until I got a good listen to Credo, and then found out it was TJ.

Well, I find that Credo does sound a lot like Vergil. Maybe all the former Power Ranger actors have sort of the same voice :p
Seriously, who hasn't played in Power Rangers of the DMC cast? Langdon did, Southworth did, Yong Bosch did and even Rotolo did.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Nope, it was TJ. Dan's voice is very distinctive no matter what he tries to do with it. When he auditioned for Dante in DMC4, they found it didn't work because it sounded too much like Vergil trying to pass himself off as Dante. But he was Mo-Cap for Credo, so the legacy is kind'a there

Top Bottom