• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I don't know why people are acting like the change is "too extreme"

Terrutas

I threw DMC 4 into a fire and roasted some hot dogs on it a long time ago. I rather pretend that piece of crap doesn't exist. I don't even know what the f*ck is a Tam whatever you said and don't care. I don't think Dante is a great character. I never thought he was. Devil May Cry may be one of my favorite game series but that's just it, I love the video games. To be honest I couldn't care less about most of the characters. Dante changed with every game making the reboot no different to this trend and Dante, all of all video game characters, never falls in line with my favorites. Some of my favorite characters in video game history are like:
-Multiple Metal Gear Solid characters
-Sly Cooper
-Glad0s
-John Marston
-Mega Man etc.
Sorry, but Dante never falls in line with my favorite's list. Any version of him. I like the very first version of him the best out of them all. I couldn't care less about any other one. Even the DmC one is like, well that's Dante with a haircut. I can tolerate him but he still isn't anything to write home about. Dante never was. Call me a supposedly fake fan or something now if you like but I don't care for Dante all that much. He's ok but other characters are far cooler and more interesting than he will ever be. My head canon of Dante is more entertaining than the real character.
Finally,you state an opinion. Thumbs up,my brudda.

And I agree,I also like other characters more than Dante,but I don't think he's as horrible as you make him to be. People like him for his smart one liners and his funny attitude towards a good challenge and danger,if you don't like those kind of people you're obviously going to hate Dante.

But you seem to ignore the other stuff I was talking about,I'd really like to see you talking about how you lied about the move list numbers and how Splash and Helm Breaker can be substituted for Full House. And no lies please. :)

ZeroLove

Yet "social problem" scenario don't work with demon. At least here. As I said, we recieve companies is bad becose demons is BAAAD and that all. There are no deep conflict. Just Chosen One vs "Evil". All problems with companies in real life is becose their "badness" is only one position. They make workspace, they produse needed things.This part is completely untoched in DmC.

Theoretically you are right. Theoretically it called characters development. BUT that NOT character development in this case. In character development we have moment, situations where we can say that character begin to change, take a step in different direction. Now, what we have in DmC. Mission 1 - Dante do not care about anithing, Mission -2 - still not care but hints for revenge. Mission 3 - again not care and no revenge indication, Mission 4... Mission 19 - it was just Revenge!!111111 Mission 20 - I care about humans! So good charecter development.So well written... So deep... More like character was changed due to needs of writer to make WHAM ending. Vergil - where is indication that he begin change as character? When he begin to think about world dominance? And when he dicided about it? Again - no indication in his words or actions. Just wham in the end.And Mundus and Lilith. After they so tried to show that all his actions were for power, he suddenly turn in good dad? Again with no indication? Good CD, indeed good. Twilight style is so cool nowadays

It just pretty mediocre comics story with terrible writing. THey try to make new V for Vindetta - they fail. Thats all

Again, I disagree with you. But I'm not going to try and persuade you to change your opinion. You've made your arguements, I've made mine, so let us just leave it at that and agree to disagree. ^^

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yet "social problem" scenario don't work with demon. At least here. As I said, we recieve companies is bad becose demons is BAAAD and that all. There are no deep conflict. Just Chosen One vs "Evil". All problems with companies in real life is becose their "badness" is only one position. They make workspace, they produse needed things.This part is completely untoched in DmC.

Theoretically you are right. Theoretically it called characters development. BUT that NOT character development in this case. In character development we have moment, situations where we can say that character begin to change, take a step in different direction. Now, what we have in DmC. Mission 1 - Dante do not care about anithing, Mission -2 - still not care but hints for revenge. Mission 3 - again not care and no revenge indication, Mission 4... Mission 19 - it was just Revenge!!111111 Mission 20 - I care about humans! So good charecter development.So well written... So deep... More like character was changed due to needs of writer to make WHAM ending. Vergil - where is indication that he begin change as character? When he begin to think about world dominance? And when he dicided about it? Again - no indication in his words or actions. Just wham in the end.And Mundus and Lilith. After they so tried to show that all his actions were for power, he suddenly turn in good dad? Again with no indication? Good CD, indeed good. Twilight style is so cool nowadays

It just pretty mediocre comics story with terrible writing. THey try to make new V for Vindetta - they fail. Thats all
You obviously have a tough time understanding the story ,a rather simple story too I might add, if you think they did it for revenge. The scene where Dante was telling Mundus he did everything for revenge and boasted about killing his kid was just to provoke Mundus and get him away from the hell gate. Vergil's entire plan was to kill Mundus and take his place as the next demon king. Dante was fighting to save the world like he always does. Dante's sword Rebellion is specifically named after his moral value to fight against oppression. Also again you bring up crappy romance novels that have NOTHING to do with Devil May Cry. Are you just a closet Twilight fan or something. Just stop talking because you're rambling on with nothing but nonsense.

Desmodeus

Quit acting like Devil May Cry was ever good in the narrative department. It sucked because Capcom sucks at telling stories for the most part. Vergil does not have a good justification to have his f*ck the world attitude and he was always a very sh!tty villain.
Problem is - old DmC newer made it's generic hero story as it's main selling point. But this new one tell it would be deep story. For adults. But is it for adults - it's to hollow, to primitive, too cliche, too poorely written to be story for adults. And they try to sell it as a great story with a straign face. So again, problem is niot that old DMC was so good. Problem is that old DMC story looks good to compare with that.

And here the aggression and "You not understand NT brilliance" start. If you are right and story is deep - prove it. With examples from game. Where we can see character development for example

ZeroLove

Problem is - old DmC newer made it's generic hero story as it's main selling point. But this new one tell it would be deep story. For adults. But is it for adults - it's to hollow, to primitive, too cliche, too poorely written to be story for adults. And they try to sell it as a great story with a straign face. So again, problem is niot that old DMC was so good. Problem is that old DMC story looks good to compare with that.

And here the aggression and "You not understand NT brilliance" start. If you are right and story is deep - prove it. With examples from game. Where we can see character development for example

Again, that is your opinion and that's alright.
But again... Can you respect and accept that we are some who do think it is good?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Finally,you state an opinion. Thumbs up,my brudda.

And I agree,I also like other characters more than Dante,but I don't think he's as horrible as you make him to be. People like him for his smart one liners and his funny attitude towards a good challenge and danger,if you don't like those kind of people you're obviously going to hate Dante.

But you seem to ignore the other stuff I was talking about,I'd really like to see you talking about how you lied about the move list numbers and how Splash and Helm Breaker can be substituted for Full House. And no lies please. :)
DMC 4 doesn't exist. Why are you actually liking that game? Are you a Devil May Cry fan? What happened to the massive amount of hate this game endured?! What happened to giving grief this lazy piece of crap deserves?! Which is why I seriously think anime fans are mad about DmC not going all anime-ish. It's why it gets more hate than it deserves. Seriously, DMC 4 got a lot of grief and hatred from fans and as soon as fans saw the haircut in DmC they flipped their sh!t so suddenly. I stick by what I believe in. DMC 4 is a crap game and Capcom obviously doesn't give a f*ck about Devil May Cry. I won't support them. Look what they did to my Mega Man and Resident Evil. Yea, Capcom can totally just f*ck off because I won't defend them. They've f*cked me over too many times and I guarantee a hypothetical DMC 5 by Capcom would suck. I've lost all faith in them. My motherfucking MegaMan is gone because of those bastards.

Terrutas

DMC 4 doesn't exist
And I just lost even that tiny little of respect that I had for you. Awww,come on shancey.

Why are you actually liking that game? Are you a Devil May Cry fan? What happened to the massive amount of hate this game endured?.
I like that game because it offers what of the most perfected combat systems to date. The style system is rather forced but it's done right,unlike demon dodge and color coded enemies,bro.

People have actually put a ton of their time mastering the combat system for the pure fun of it,and for good reason. It's a challenging system that can pull alot of hours from you. no necessarily in big doses,but it can keep you around. I agree with the story part,I freaking hate Nero and Dante was just there so that Dante would...be there.

But it's not as crap as you make it out to be.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

Did you not read my explanation? To sum it up, I don't think DmC is a freaking masterpiece but I also don't think it's any worse. The previous series is ripoff after ripoff and quite frankly, stupid at times. DmC is pretty much the same making it pay homage to it's previous series. I think DmC does a good job with voice acting because it highlights how weak the material Devil May Cry always really was. I do think it's the best looking out of the bunch because I love the surreal art direction and is has some pretty original aesthetics. Game is still fun and isn't some lazy half game with obnoxious design choices. DMC 1, 3, and DmC sit proudly on my shelf. DMC 2 was lost a long time ago and I roasted some hot dogs on a burning copy of DMC4.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
And I just lost even that tiny little of respect that I had for you. Awww,come on shancey.

I like that game because it offers what of the most perfected combat systems to date. The style system is rather forced but it's done right,unlike demon dodge and color coded enemies,bro.

People have actually put a ton of their time mastering the combat system for the pure fun of it,and for good reason. It's a challenging system that can pull alot of hours from you. no necessarily in big doses,but it can keep you around. I agree with the story part,I freaking hate Nero and Dante was just there so that Dante would...be there.

But it's not as crap as you make it out to be.
I refuse to acknowledge such a piece of crap that is part of one of my favorite gaming franchises. Just like I pretend Spider-Man 3 doesn't exist because of how bad they decided to sh!t on my favorite comic book hero and one of my favorite villains. Some 90 pound stoner kid isn't Eddie Brock. The dodge mechanic works just fine but I don't care for the color coded enemy combinations. Still the overall game makes it more tolerable than HALF a game with obnoxious design choices like a stupid pointless delay board game mechanic and fixed camera angles with jumping puzzles that spawn enemies every time you fall because it's a lazy pr!ck who feels the need to artificially lengthen itself because it knows it's so sh!t. I hate DMC 4 and I don't think I'm wrong in hating it. I love Devil May Cry, I don't want such a pathetic piece of crap with no effort into it whatsoever a part of my Devil May Cry. Capcom doesn't give a f*ck. Let Ninja Theory keep it for now because at least they worked on it. F*ck Capcom. I don't like them anymore.

Jerry Wirerammer

Reading through this thread, you can see the problems Capcom were facing with the franchise. It seems every fan has their own "wants" and "don't wants" list, cherry picking their own favourite bits from the previous 4 games. The customer feedback must have been conflicting to say the least.

Personally DmC works for me, there a bit of sword master, gunslinger, a trickster like aerial dash and even a devil bringer variant. Perhaps the moves included were based on customer research, maybe they were just NTs faves, who knows, but for me this has enough of the DMC flavour to make me happy.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
First you say you hate me and then you call me a moron. T_T
You're so mean...

Hah, no, I don't think you're like them. It's just that haters come in many forms, and I've encountered entire groups of people ganging up on the people who don't like DmC. Usually, the dislike for DmC is for a good reason, not because they don't like change. On the other hand, nobody needs to agree with change. It's no surprise we get upset if the change isn't necessary.

Sorry about that :p

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I see Chancey has been going around professing his opinion as fact again.

Look, you either like DmC or the old DMCs (or both). I personally hate this wub wub version of DMC, relying on overly colorful graphics to make it stand out, an incredibly cliché plot that sounds like it was thought up by a stoner with an IQ of 80, pretty bad textures, mediocre acting, and so on ad infinitum. Aside from that, it's questionable whether it's actually a Devil May Cry game. Yes, it's a reboot, but the whole idea of a reboot is preposterous anyway. What they mean by saying ''it's a reboot'' is this: ''it's a different game, and nothing is quite the same'', meaning it's not even technically Devil May Cry.

Then there's the original series. Not revolutionary in any way, but neither is DmC. DmC just seems like a toned down version of DMC3 or something. It doesn't require as much skill, it's hardly challenging, and it just doesn't flow right.
Devil May Cry never had deep characters or a deep story, but at least it had badass characters. I don't care if you see a character from Inuyasha wearing red clothing or blue clothing, because characters are more than that. Most people in the US and Europe probably haven't read (or seen) Inuyasha, so nobody cares if DMC characters are based on them. Saying those characters are exactly the same is just weak. Weak as f***. And saying those characters are hackneyed... really. Like Mundus the gangster isn't.

In the end, it's mostly about the gameplay, and for me, DMC3 and DMC4 are still the best. They've got intuitive gameplay, and a lot of combos and weapons, allowing you to play exactly the way you want to.
Anyway, saying the reboot was necessary is bull. It's just another westernized game to me now. It's lost its personality and replaced it with another, and that's just unacceptable. The developers should either stay faithful to the series or not. I'm sick of change just for the sake of it.

Choose between awesome crap or wub wub crap. Either way, it's crap, and I wouldn't want Capcom or Ninja Theory to work on DMC anymore. Just leave it be, but don't go ''Guess what? DMC never happened. This is the real Devil May Cry''. I'd find it interesting if both series went on alongside each other, but then Capcom would need to fnd a truly capable developer. No, scratch that, more than capable. Innovative, and capable of creating something great. Either let DMC die or turn the series into what it deserves.

ZeroLove

Look, you either like DmC or the old DMCs (or both). I personally hate this wub wub version of DMC, relying on overly colorful graphics to make it stand out, an incredibly cliché plot that sounds like it was thought up by a stoner with an IQ of 80, pretty bad textures, mediocre acting, and so on ad infinitum. Aside from that, it's questionable whether it's actually a Devil May Cry game. Yes, it's a reboot, but the whole idea of a reboot is preposterous anyway. What they mean by saying ''it's a reboot'' is this: ''it's a different game, and nothing is quite the same'', meaning it's not even technically Devil May Cry.

Then there's the original series. Not revolutionary in any way, but neither is DmC. DmC just seems like a toned down version of DMC3 or something. It doesn't require as much skill, it's hardly challenging, and it just doesn't flow right.
Devil May Cry never had deep characters or a deep story, but at least it had badass characters. I don't care if you see a character from Inuyasha wearing red clothing or blue clothing, because characters are more than that. Most people in the US and Europe probably haven't read (or seen) Inuyasha, so nobody cares if DMC characters are based on them. Saying those characters are exactly the same is just weak. Weak as f***. And saying those characters are hackneyed... really. Like Mundus the gangster isn't.

In the end, it's mostly about the gameplay, and for me, DMC3 and DMC4 are still the best. They've got intuitive gameplay, and a lot of combos and weapons, allowing you to play exactly the way you want to.
Anyway, saying the reboot was necessary is bull. It's just another westernized game to me now. It's lost its personality and replaced it with another, and that's just unacceptable. The developers should either stay faithful to the series or not. I'm sick of change just for the sake of it.

Choose between awesome crap or wub wub crap. Either way, it's crap, and I wouldn't want Capcom or Ninja Theory to work on DMC anymore. Just leave it be, but don't go ''Guess what? DMC never happened. This is the real Devil May Cry''. I'd find it interesting if both series went on alongside each other, but then Capcom would need to fnd a truly capable developer. No, scratch that, more than capable. Innovative, and capable of creating something great. Either let DMC die or turn the series into what it deserves.

And this is just your opinion, just like Chancey gave his opinion.

crush

Well these kind of discussions would have never been here...
If Capcom would have made Dante's personality straight that is.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

Do I have to put "in my opinion" or "what I think" after every single post to clarify what my opinion is? Or can I give you enough credit to actually have decent reading comprehension skills to understand what I'm saying? I think anyone who knows what fact and opinions are can easily separate the two. ZeroLove gets it. Everyone else is voicing so I can do just the same. I don't care if you agree with me or not. The only opinion that matters is mine to me and I also am willing to give credit where credit is due. I also don't think anything is exempt from a bit of criticism. Except Ed, Edd, N Eddy because that cartoon is like the greatest thing ever created and is perfect.

Terrutas

Do I have to put "in my opinion" or "what I think" after every single post to clarify what my opinion is? Or can I give you enough credit to actually have decent reading comprehension skills to understand what I'm saying?
And enough with those subtle jabs. it doesn't make you look any smarter. I think anyone who knows what fact and opinions are can easily separate the two. ZeroLove gets it. Everyone else is voicing so I can do just the same. I don't care if you agree with me or not. The only opinion that matters is mine to me and I also am willing to give credit where credit is due. I also don't think anything is exempt from a bit of criticism. Except Ed, Edd, N Eddy because that cartoon is like the greatest thing ever created and is perfect.
No dude,ya don't. It's just the way you word it out that comes off as very...arrogant. Try to be more friendly with your post. People don't like it when somebody comes off stating that their opinion is clearly wrong.For example

DMC 4 doesn't exist. Why are you actually liking that game? Are you a Devil May Cry fan?.

If somebody told that to you,wouldn't it **** you off? That's so annoying and disrespectful,people are bound to be annoyed.

And this
No it doesn't and you're wrong. I actually had someone help me add up the the moves and when you count how pretty much the demon and angel pull is an evolution from what Nero brought to the combat system Dante has a total of 56 moves. The same number Dante held in 4.
not only were you the one wrong,you didn't even provide any evidence. If that's not arrogant to you,I don't know what is.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

Using the term "westernization" as if it is a bad thing makes me really think you just want your anime game and are one of those anime fans who put Japan above everything else in the world constantly. I'm the type of person that doesn't tend to separate things on the same medium from the most part because I view entertainment media for what it is. The East pushes out just as much bad as anywhere else. Don't try to act like they are better just because you personally like it more. I actually will call anime cartoons or manga comics because that's exactly what they are. I see DmC being the most contemporary of the bunch. It really takes influences and trends in entertainment in more recent memory quite frankly from different parts of the world. I can see the tad bit of japanese animation influence as well as other cultural specific trends.

I'm not particularly a fan of Inuyasha but when the similarities come across as pretty much a shameless rip off then you do become nothing more than a ripoff for the most part. Let's examine it.

1. Dante and Vergil were both half demon born of a demon father and human mother (Inuyasha and Sesshomaru too)

2.One is a punk while the other is more regal (Inuyasha is very brash and kind of punkish, Sesshomaru is sophisticated and collected)

3.They inherit specific and special swords formed from mainly their father's side (Tetsuga and Tensaiga, don't care if I spelled that right or wrong right now)

5. One embraces his demon heritage more so than his sibling while the other feels compassion and the need to protect humans. (Sesshomaru sports demon pride , while Inuyasha plays hero and hooks up with a human girl, multiple times)

6. Their parents are dead.
-We could say how devil trigger is similar to that full moon full demon Inuyasha sh!t too but I'll let that slide.
- On an extra note Dante is also clearly like that Alucard dude from Hellsing with the personality of that Cobra dude from Cobra Space Adventure.

I'm not pointing opinions. I actually gave an explanation to Devil May Cry's lack of originality the series always had so let's not give it more credit than it deserves. As for the gameplay I've already explained so I'm not even gonna bother because you're just going to dismiss it anyway.

Top Bottom