• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I don't know why people are acting like the change is "too extreme"

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
If our lord and savior Tammy-kun didn't take jabs at us by saying crap like "what was cool 12 years ago isn't cool now" and my personal favorite "if Dante walked in a bar outside of Tokyo dressed like he is he'd get laughed out of it" then fans wouldn't be bashing NT would they?

Why should we give NT a break again?
If Dante walked into ANY bar in the world he'd probably get laughed out. Dante sports a sense of style that is very strange and no one in their right mind would ever wear that. I thought he looked stupid as hell in 2 and 4. Not really what I think is cool. The previous version of Dante does not fit into the contemporary setting DmC establishes. He'd look like some dude who lost his way to an anime convention or something if he was in this game. Dante's change in appearance is actually needed. It's not like his design in DmC looks bad anyway. He's just got short hair and I think his coat in DmC is the best one I've seen him wear yet. I'm digging the hooded black coat with red lining. Dante also changed with EVERY Devil May Cry honestly making the reboot no different to this trend. He's still virtually the same but instead of an anime cliche he's more real. Which is what they were going for.

Dante is not really someone I think is cool. I don't hate him but there are way better characters than him. He definitely never was in my list of favorite video game characters. I mean the Devil May Cry series is one of my favorite game franchises but the characters I couldn't care less. They were never great. He's not the freaking golden boy the fanboys think he is.

Terrutas

My reason for not liking the DMC4 system is that, for me at least, it kind of goes against the series ethos which has always been about playing the game however you want and I really think that the system DMC3 had captured that perfectly. Nobody played through DMC3 with the same Dante. in DMC4 you were forced to play with 5 different styles and 6 different weapons. It was overwhelming. Dante was too knotty and it was beyond the skill-range of most players to actually use him effectively. If they ever bring style-switching back then I'd like to see them maybe lower it to two different styles at once and increase the skill-set of each. That could make for some interesting combat strategies. Like... Gun-Trickster or Guard-master or whatever.
That's actually a pretty good idea,I thought of that once. but then you'd need an additional style button or something.. :<

I don't really see how you were 'forced' to use him effectively,I agree he is very overwhelming compared to his DMC3 counterpart and Nero. But just because you can switch styles doesn't mean you have to,you could just stick to your favorite one. Which is what I saw most beginners do,As I used to aswell. Although you'll be very gimped.
But why is it a bad thing that he's hard to master? I find a learning experience with a tough learning curve far more fun than basic gaming. but that could just be me.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
It always makes me laugh when people talk about "streamlining" DMC with DmC.

Nothing's been streamlined at all it's just been changed, you still need to press approx the same amount of buttons to get what you want (all they did was swap around triggers and D-pad use)

Also amount of moves=/=depth as one person posted, DmCs combat is no wear near as deep or optional as prior entries especially with all the advanced mechanics that were presented because of the style switching in 4.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
That's the thing though, Dante was never cool. He's always been that guy who says things that he thinks are funny but you laugh because he really isn't. He's a master level troll with a terrible sense of humor.

Martius

SSSmokin!
I think that dmc4 was step in a right direction, but it was not executed properly. If there was more weapons and style but there should be a option how many of them you want to have up to certain nubmer. Idea of DT from dmc2 also should be expanded, some super form and ability too choose what DT will do.

Terrutas

That's the thing though, Dante was never cool. He's always been that guy who says things that he thinks are funny but you laugh because he really isn't. He's a master level troll with a terrible sense of humor.
Well,I found him to be funny at some points in DMC3. since it was my kind of rain ;)

But yeah,he wasn't supposed to be funny. just ridiculous and corny,which is for me,what made him very likable as an iconic character.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Dante is a dork who is the epitome of anime cliche. He also has terrible fashion sense.

Terrutas

If Dante walked into ANY bar in the world he'd probably get laughed out. Dante sports a sense of style that is very strange and no one in their right mind would ever wear that. I thought he looked stupid as hell in 2 and 4. Not really what I think is cool. The previous version of Dante does not fit into the contemporary setting DmC establishes. He'd look like some dude who lost his way to an anime convention or something if he was in this game. Dante's change in appearance is actually needed. It's not like his design in DmC looks bad anyway. He's just got short hair and I think his coat in DmC is the best one I've seen him wear yet. I'm digging the hooded black coat with red lining. Dante also changed with EVERY Devil May Cry honestly making the reboot no different to this trend. He's still virtually the same but instead of an anime cliche he's more real. Which is what they were going for.

Dante is not really someone I think is cool. I don't hate him but there are way better characters than him. He definitely never was in my list of favorite video game characters. I mean the Devil May Cry series is one of my favorite game franchises but the characters I couldn't care less. They were never great. He's not the freaking golden boy the fanboys think he is.
The thing is,the sense of 'cool' is highly subjective. and Ninja Theory stated it as fact which is what has people understandably ****ed off. They stated that they clearly think their version of Dante is better and that in their game,all of what we love about the character and game will be discarded and forgotten. That is why we're angry,not because of haircuts.

Actually,they remind me of someone. Can't quite put the finger on the guy though. :)

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The only thing I enjoyed from Dante's mouth in DMC 3 was telling that huge 3 headed dog how he would do great in a dog show. Then he channeled Bruce before the fight. That's pretty much it. I pretty much skip every other cutscene. ^_^

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
The thing is,the sense of 'cool' is highly subjective. and Ninja Theory stated it as fact which is what has people understandably ****ed off. They stated that they clearly think their version of Dante is better and that in their game,all of what we love about the character and game will be discarded and forgotten. That is why we're angry,not because of haircuts.

Actually,they remind me of someone. Can't quite put the finger on the guy though. :)

Funny thing is if there was a definition of "cool" it'd likely be doing what you want without regrets and being proud of it.

NT's attempts at being cool were just "hmm, what do the kids like and would buy" in other words conforming to others opinions, something that is greatly considered "not cool"

Rayl

You won't hear any argument from me on that either, i think that pretty much sums him up quite nicely. He embodies alot of tropes and cliches in fact. What he embodies exactly mostly changes from game to game, the distinction between his personalities between 1, 3 and 4 (We don't count 2 because Dante doesn't HAVE a personality in that game outside one cutscene) are varied and he embodies one aspect more then others between them.

He may be a dork but many would say that defines him and makes him so charismatic.

snausages

I think the Hitler youth haircut is pretty cool personally. New Dante is still mostly ****, but nowhere near as **** as New Vergil. It's funny, the attitude of New Dante isn't really that far removed from the old guy, it's just the look that's different. New Vergil looks exactly the same but he's a total pussy.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Well, I suppose opinions vary. I think DmC is nothing like the original DMCs. Dante's not the same, Vergil isn't either, and Mundus is a friggin cliché criminal that turns into a cliché boss fight. The graphics don't say Devil May Cry, the characters don't, heck, even the gameplay doesn't really.

I understand it's a reboot, so it was obviously going to be different from DMC, but I think you shouldn't want to reboot a series after no less than four iterations. By that time, you've already established your product and garnered a fan base. Besides, the series hadn't even come to a close yet. To change the series this drastically is like going '**** you' like 'Dante' likes saying. Heck, NT made it clear that they don't like the old DMCs. That's probably why Capcom contacted them; to make sure it was going to be something different. But I think it wasn't necessary to reboot the series. Most, if not all of the plotholes can be filled, and if Capcom don't know how to do that, that's their problem.

I won't be buying their crap if every game keeps getting overhauled like this. RE6 was pretty bad, too. SF X Tekken wasn't much like Street Fighter has been in the past, and that's sad. It's not about the change, it's about the kind of change. You can't just slap a Coca-Cola sticker on Pepsi and say it's Coca-Cola. Maybe if they called DmC something else and simply changed some of the characters, it wouldn't be so offensive. I don't see the need to keep the DMC series alive in a totally different form. Just call it Hellish Sword or Demonic Sword, change the characters, and done, it's almost a different game.

ZeroLove

Did someone say Dante isn't cool?! *le GASP!!!*

Seriously... So what if Tameem and Ninja Theory don't think the original Dante looked cool. Did it really hurt your fanboy/girl feelings that bad?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

I don't even know why he said it that it that way because Japan is not some wonderland of anime and cosplay. I know exactly how it is there. After all I lived there for 2 and a half months. It's pretty much relatively the same as living almost any where else in the world. I'm not saying don't go if you ever get the chance because it's a fantastic place to visit but it's less culture shock than you might think or hope. Japan's the patron saint of the internet, the internet likes to paint pictures of what they rather see though. Weird Japan is all over the place. I sought out those panty vending machines to just take a picture of it, they were outlawed like freaking 20 years ago. That's one spot in the scrap book that stays empty :'(

Terrutas

Just call it Hellish Sword or Demonic Sword, change the characters, and done, it's almost a different game.
Actually,I think the most fitting name would be 'Devils Never Cry'. Since the point of the name (I've said this before) Is where the primary character,Dante ofcourse. Is a devil but he still sheds tears for his loved ones.

in DMC1: He cried when Trish died.
in DMC3: He cried when he lost Vergil
in DMC4: Nero cried when he failed to protect Kyrie.
in DmC: The only one that cries is Lilith,but you don't see actual tears and she's not even the main character so you hardly notice it.

Seriously... So what if Tameem and Ninja Theory don't think the original Dante looked cool. Did it really hurt your fanboy/girl feelings that bad?
What the hell dude? Where'd that attitude come from? :\

I don't even know why he said it that it that way because Japan is not some wonderland of anime and cosplay. I know exactly how it is there. After all I lived there for 2 and a half months. It's pretty much relatively the same as living almost any where else in the world. I'm not saying don't go if you ever get the chance because it's a fantastic place to visit but it's less culture shock than you might think or hope. Japan's the patron saint of the internet, the internet likes to paint pictures of what they rather see though. Weird Japan is all over the place. I sought out those panty vending machines to just take a picture of it, they were outlawed like freaking 20 years ago. That's one spot in the scrap book that stays empty :'(
Exactly where was I talking about Japan,bro?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
My reason for not liking the DMC4 system is that, for me at least, it kind of goes against the series ethos which has always been about playing the game however you want and I really think that the system DMC3 had captured that perfectly. Nobody played through DMC3 with the same Dante. in DMC4 you were forced to play with 5 different styles and 6 different weapons. It was overwhelming. Dante was too knotty and it was beyond the skill-range of most players to actually use him effectively. If they ever bring style-switching back then I'd like to see them maybe lower it to two different styles at once and increase the skill-set of each. That could make for some interesting combat strategies. Like... Gun-Trickster or Guard-master or whatever.

Nobody forced you to use all weapons and perform all combos. I usually stuck to being a Swordmaster, throwing some Dark Slayer in there and maybe some Gunslinger. DMC4 is all about playing the way you want to. You can use every weapon, and use them in whichever situation you want. I don't understand why DMC3's combat system would be better. DMC3 restricted you to using one style, and only some of the weapons. DMC4 is only overwhelming if you let it overwhelm you. I guess it depends on how you want to play. If you want to force yourself to play only one style with a few weapons, you can. But you can do the same in DMC4, so I don't see the problem.

Rayl

Pretty darn sure we just went over all this, actually read the thread please.

ZeroLove

Actually,I think the most fitting name would be 'Devils Never Cry'. Since the point of the name (I've said this before) Is where the primary character,Dante ofcourse. Is a devil but he still sheds tears for his loved ones.

in DMC1: He cried when Trish died.
in DMC3: He cried when he lost Vergil
in DMC4: Nero cried when he failed to protect Kyrie.
in DmC: The only one that cries is Lilith,but you don't see actual tears and she's not even the main character so you hardly notice it.

What the hell dude? Where'd that attitude come from? :\

From people continuing to b*tch and whine about the same things that were news 2 years ago! Why can't people just get over it already? It's not that big a deal! DmC is what it is and there's nothing you can do about it. Accept it and move on with your lives.

Top Bottom