• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How can this combat system be expanded?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Both the forced walking and the need to hold down the button to maintain lock-on should be removable via options.
The forced walking should just not exist really. It slows down the fast and furious nature of Devil May Cry.

And when it comes to lock on, I don't want it to be something that locks aways moves unless I use it. Especially since the latest game incorporated those very moves without the use of hard lock.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
And when it comes to lock on, I don't want it to be something that locks aways moves unless I use it. Especially since the latest game incorporated those very moves without the use of hard lock.

It works on DmC system since it doesn't have styles, so they could use dedicated buttons for those moves.

But as said before, that means less variety cause they necessarily have to scrap inputs slots.
Personally, I've got no problems in performing lock on moves, especially the directional ones like Stinger, I prefer that to double moving the stick all the way, I feel it more intuitive and less awkward to pull of in mid combat.
I appreciated the dedicated button for High Time though.

Also I agree with inserting an option nit to walk while in lock on. They could do like they did with normal walk: when you lock, you move the stick completely to run, or you can move it slightly to walk.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It works on DmC system since it doesn't have styles, so they could use dedicated buttons for those moves.

But as said before, that means less variety cause they necessarily have to scrap inputs slots.
Personally, I've got no problems in performing lock on moves, especially the directional ones like Stinger, I prefer that to double moving the stick all the way, I feel it more intuitive and less awkward to pull of in mid combat.
I appreciated the dedicated button for High Time though.

Also I agree with inserting an option nit to walk while in lock on. They could do like they did with normal walk: when you lock, you move the stick completely to run, or you can move it slightly to walk.
But you didn't need styles for specific moves like Stinger, which is what I would rather be able to perform without the need of a hard lock. Also a dedicated launch button could stay.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
But you didn't need styles for specific moves like Stinger, which is what I would rather be able to perform without the need of a hard lock. Also a dedicated launch button could stay.

Yes I know what I mean is that they used the Style button to implement the moves that before, you performed with lock on. That takes away slots for other moves.

But eh, each of us is comfortable with different inputs I guess.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yes I know what I mean is that they used the Style button to implement the moves that before, you performed with lock on. That takes away slots for other moves.

But eh, each of us is comfortable with different inputs I guess.
I can do both, I just found the latest one to be more convenient.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Much more convenient.

Eh, speak for yourself (again, dat Stinger input... even more awkward to perform than Shuffle... thank God I could use keyboard and mouse as well, otherwise I would have thrown my controller out of the window LOL).

Actually at times, it was so uncomfortable on the controller I almost thought it was studied for k&m...

Goldsickle

But you didn't need styles for specific moves like Stinger,
A lot of moves weren't Style-exclusive nor required some Style swap to begin.

Like how Drive was a charge move for Rebellion in DMC3 but changed randomly to be a Style-specific move in DMC4.

Fireworks started out as a dial-up combo finisher in DMC2 but became Style-specific in DMC3 onwards.

Beast Uppercut was something you can do regardless of Styles in DMC3 but in DMC4, you need Swordmaster switched on to use it.

It's like I said, "Styles" is just a means to regulate the large moves arsenal.
If they can have all moves available without Style swapping, then it would be much better.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It's like I said, "Styles" is just a means to regulate the large moves arsenal.
If they can have all moves available without Style swapping, then it would be much better.

Well, unless they start implementing keyboard and mouse on consoles too, I don't see that possible. So I want Styles to be kept in order not to decrease the moveset.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I wouldn't waste my time trying to explain this, if I were you. Some people are just too set in their ways to see a viable alternative.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I wouldn't waste my time trying to explain this, if I were you. Some people are just too set in their ways to see a viable alternative.

That's a pretty relative statement. I mean, I could say the same about you, for example.

Each of us in this thread explained why we think what we think. And since each of us has brought up valid arguments, it's not a matter of just being "set in our ways", cause we all have a valid reason to think in a certain way.

Now, you have something actually useful to add to the discussion or you just have the habit to drop by into threads to make these pointless little trolling comments? If that's the case, lose it.

Now I'm sure some mod will come here to tell me it's not my job to call people out, and it's true, but damn if I've had enough of this kind of behavior.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Back on-topic:

What I'd like to do is combine the best of both franchises to make the best possible combat system -- even if it means and entirely new reboot (like LoK: Dead Sun) that stays truer to its roots than DmC did.

Any possibility that doesn't complicate things is fine with me.

I'm open to viable alternatives.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Back on-topic:

What I'd like to do is combine the best of both franchises to make the best possible combat system -- even if it means and entirely new reboot (like LoK: Dead Sun) that stays truer to its roots than DmC did.

So, what Geoff said. A hybrid. Nice idea, but getting it to work effectively is the problem. DmC itself kinda tried, by keeping some things from the past and at the same time changing some stuff, but it resulted in an overall decrease of depth. Avoiding that is tricky, from a design stand point.

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I didn't want a full hybrid , simply use DMC4's combat and style but use stuff from DmC too mainly the weapon switching for devil arms

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Triangle/Y = Melee Attack

Circle/B = Royalguard

X Button on Sony Controller/A = Jump/Side-roll/Backflip/Table Hopper

Square/X Button on MS Controller = Swordmaster [Aerial Rave/Showdown for Nero]

[DmC: Square/X Button on MS Controller = Launch]

R1 = Manual or Toggle Lock-on [Change Function in Game Menu.]

R2/Right Trigger = Devil Trigger Distortion/Ex-Act [Nero Distortion]

L2/Left Trigger = Long Range Attack [Firearms]

[Tap L2 once to Distort, hold at least 2 seconds for Devil Trigger Explosion.]

[You will only morph into Devil Trigger Form after executing a Devil Trigger Explosion.]

L1/Left Bumper = Trickster/Devil Bringer

Select = Switch R2/Right Trigger from Normal Long Range [Firearm] Attack to "Gunslinger Style" Attack

[DmC: Select = Switch R2/Right Trigger from Normal Long Range [Firearm] Attack to "Gun Special" Attack]

Left & Right on D-Pad = Switch Melee Weapons

[DmC: Switch Angel/Demon Mode]

Up & Down on D-Pad = Switch Long Range Weapons [Firearms]

R3/Press in Right Stick = Taunt

[Lose the "Center Camera" Function (R3/Press in RS) since almost no one uses it -- especially in the heat of battle.]

[Besides, compared to everything the player is getting at the same time, it's a very small sacrifice.]

L3/Press in Left Stick = Cycle Lock-on Target

Left Analogue Stick = Move Character [Characters will no longer walk in Lock-on Mode.]

Right Analogue Stick = Move Camera [Change X/Y Axis in Game Menu.]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This isn't too different from the "official" control scheme.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nero:

Y button - Close range attack

X button - Long range attack

B button - Examine / Devil Bringer / Cancel

A button - Jump / Examine / Confirm

Right Bumper (RB) - Lock on target

Left Bumper (LB) - Devil Trigger* (DT)

Left Trigger (LT) - Exceed

Left Stick - Move / Change lock on target by
pressing in

Right Stick - Move camera / Reset camera by
pressing in

Start button - Pause menu

Back button - Taunt

*later in game, not from the start

----------------------------------------

Dante:

Y button - Close range attack

X button - Lang range attack

B button - Examine / Style action / Cancel

A button - Jump / Examine / Confirm

Left Bumper (LB) - Devil Trigger (DT)

Left Trigger (LT) - Switch long range weapon

Right Bumper (RB) - Lock on target

Right Trigger (RT) - Switch close range weapon

Left Stick - Move / Change lock on target by
pressing in

Right Stick - Move camera / Reset camera by
pressing in

D-pad - Change style
Up - Trickster
Right - Sword Master
Down - Royal Guard
Left - Gun Slinger

Double tap any already entered style direction -
Dark Slayer**

Start button - Pause Menu

Backt button - Taunt

**Dante will not gain this style until later, not his
from the start
----------------------------------------
Pause Menu:

A button - Confirm

B button - Cancel

Right Bumper (RB)
>>>>>both cycle pages
Left Bumper (LB)

Left Stick

http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/938686-devil-may-cry-4/faqs/51774

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not that tricky.

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Ha that would drive me insane i prefer 4's controls but you know whatever suits the player is the best option

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
but you know whatever suits the player is the best option
That's absolutely correct.

Besides, if I can get used to 4's convoluted control scheme, then this would be downright easy in comparison.

Edit: It's giving almost everything its own button function. I don't think anyone could ask for more than that.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Ha i have a few k hours up on DMC4 u see so i can play it blindfolded , so any controls are weird to me now
Well, if anyone could do this, I'm sure you could.

Also, if you have a PS4, could you post some of your gameplay on youtube, if possible?

Last edited:
Top Bottom