• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Hiroyuki "Japanese for FAIL" Kobayashi made DMC4 to appeal to Women (gamers)

moseslmpg

UZUDAE;291521 said:
I know he cracked jokes, but that's because he's Dante. This time around though he seemed to be doing it in a more winking, suave way. I felt like it said "I'm in control, so I'm not worried" unlike in past games, where I felt like it was saying "lets see what happens."

Point taken that by the end of DMC3 he matured, that was the whole purpose of the game and we see that transformation again with Nero, almost perfectly mirrored.

Why does Nero's appearance offend you so much though? Is it the character himself, or rather Kobayashi's explanation of him that offends you?
Dante wasn't in control at all though? He was totally behind Sanctus and the Order the whole time. DMC4 is the game where he said "let's see what happens," as opposed to the other games where he actually took his mission seriously.

As for Nero, he was just an offense to intelligent fans everywhere. Not only was his story a cheap recap of DMC3 Dante's, as you say, but he was totally unnecessary and complicated the entire series simply by existing. If they wanted to create a new character, they should have created a new character, not rehashed DMC3 Dante. They just half-assed it with Nero, and for no real reason, because you could have stuck the DB on anyone in the series *cough*Vergil*cough*

Nero is just representative of Capcom's general laziness with DMC4. Even his design sucks compared to his concepts. He isn't a bad character as a standalone, but he is a bad DMC character, which only makes DMC4 Dante even more pathetic.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
moseslmpg;291506 said:
Yeah, I don't really blame Dante. They basically casted him as a satire of himself. The entire story of DMC4 could have been averted by DMC never getting involved at all. Sanctus wasn't even "evil" evil. Really, i don't even recall why DMC got involved anyway, except that they were hurting Lady's business.
However, Sanctus was using Yamato for experiments and was looking for the Sparda sword and Dante I think for the Savior. Either way, DMC would of been involved I think whether Lady was involved or not. The problem was, Dante sat back and a) let Trish GIVE them Sparda and b) Nero handle his dirty work. As we all know...Dante is infinitely more powerful than every other person in DMC4, Nero included. He could of pretty much killed Sanctus, hunt him down and kill his resurrected form after death and call it a night. Seriously.

moseslmpg

Dante isn't that powerful. Fans tend to exaggerate about his abilities because he's the main focus on the series. But that is one of the problems after having him defeat Mundus. After you save the world from the ultimate evil, what else is left? Shameless cameos in games he shouldn't be in, that's what.

But I don't think DMC would have gotten involved if not for Lady. No one really cared or knew about the Yamato until they got there, and Sanctus only got the Sparda once they were involved. Unless Sanctus' plan was for Lady to get Dante to come to the island, he didn't seem to be making any effort to get Dante or the Sparda and seemed satisfied with Nero in the Savior. What a crappy story. They could have gone in so many better directions.

Esura

moseslmpg;291669 said:
Dante isn't that powerful. Fans tend to exaggerate about his abilities because he's the main focus on the series. But that is one of the problems after having him defeat Mundus. After you save the world from the ultimate evil, what else is left? Shameless cameos in games he shouldn't be in, that's what.
True, but compared to the characters in DMC4...Dante IS that much more powerful than the rest. Take the second battle of Dante vs Nero...and watch how effortlessly ended the fight without trying. I know it sounds like Dante dick riding but seriously...the characters on DMC4 were weak.

But I don't think DMC would have gotten involved if not for Lady. No one really cared or knew about the Yamato until they got there, and Sanctus only got the Sparda once they were involved. Unless Sanctus' plan was for Lady to get Dante to come to the island, he didn't seem to be making any effort to get Dante or the Sparda and seemed satisfied with Nero in the Savior. What a crappy story. They could have gone in so many better directions.

True also.

moseslmpg

Esura;291673 said:
True, but compared to the characters in DMC4...Dante IS that much more powerful than the rest. Take the second battle of Dante vs Nero...and watch how effortlessly ended the fight without trying. I know it sounds like Dante dick riding but seriously...the characters on DMC4 were weak.
And yet, Dante himself, in the novel, says that Nero is stronger than him. I think in terms of the story, Nero's DB makes him more powerful than Dante. I fail to see how Dante would have taken down the Savior without that giant plot device attached to his shoulder.

I agree though, which is another reason I hate DMC4. I hate overpowered characters because they are just boring and useless. They need to cool him down before he becomes more powerful than God, and they need to introduce some really powerful demons from Sparda's past to give him a taste of his own medicine *cough*Vergil*cough*. If DBZ can up the ante for an entire series full of being literally more powerful than gods, DMC should be able to as well.

Esura

moseslmpg;291691 said:
And yet, Dante himself, in the novel, says that Nero is stronger than him. I think in terms of the story, Nero's DB makes him more powerful than Dante. I fail to see how Dante would have taken down the Savior without that giant plot device attached to his shoulder.
Did not know that.

I wish Capcom would incorporate the stuff from these novels in the game instead of making the damn novels in the first place. :lol:

I agree though, which is another reason I hate DMC4. I hate overpowered characters because they are just boring and useless. They need to cool him down before he becomes more powerful than God, and they need to introduce some really powerful demons from Sparda's past to give him a taste of his own medicine *cough*Vergil*cough*. If DBZ can up the ante for an entire series full of being literally more powerful than gods, DMC should be able to as well.
Wasn't Mundus THE most powerful demon in Sparda's past? The Prince of All Demons a.k.a. the Devil? Sparda was originally just Mundus' general. And Dante defeated him GAME ONE. Maybe Dante can fight angels Bayonetta-style. Or make him escape from the rigors of Hell post DMC2. And he already fought Vergil many times before. Vergil wont prove any more of a threat to him anymore. Thats why either Sparda needs to make an apperance or make up some absurd planetary destroying demon or some shtick.

moseslmpg

Esura;291740 said:
I wish Capcom would incorporate the stuff from these novels in the game instead of making the damn novels in the first place. :lol:
The DMC4 novel was a mixture of stuff they couldn't include in the game and conjecture by a former Capcom employee. It didn't really provide that many answers tbh. Read at your own peril, and remember the canonicity is tenuous at best.
Wasn't Mundus THE most powerful demon in Sparda's past? The Prince of All Demons a.k.a. the Devil? Sparda was originally just Mundus' general. And Dante defeated him GAME ONE. Maybe Dante can fight angels Bayonetta-style. Or make him escape from the rigors of Hell post DMC2. And he already fought Vergil many times before. Vergil wont prove any more of a threat to him anymore. Thats why either Sparda needs to make an apperance or make up some absurd planetary destroying demon or some shtick.
Not necessarily. Mundus may have been the most powerful devil Sparda faced, but I doubt he is the most powerful one ever. Obviously Sparda was more powerful than him in some way if he defeated him. What you have to consider is that Dante defeated Mundus after his father had done so, and as Mundus was just coming bck into the world, and only with the power of the Sparda sword which is a fraction of Sparda's power, and then only with the help of Mundus' own power through Trish. People tend to forget all those qualifications when citing Dante's defeat of Mundus.

Dante himself is nowhere near Sparda-level power. And as for Vergil, Dante has only fought Vergil as himself in DMC3, and he is by no means more powerful by a significant degree. If you factor in the fact that Vergil has been in Hell for 10 years, and has probably learned a few new tricks, he would probably prove a much greater threat to Dante if he ever did come back. Just because Dante beat him in battle before, doesn't mean he would win in a fight to the death now.

I totally reject any suggestions that Sparda come back though. Sparda is dead, and even if he did come back, he would just sneeze and Dante would be finished. I am more comfortable with the planetary destroying demon or manifestations of pure evil, but that would also be a losing battle eventually.

akumarin

(屮ಠ益ಠ)屮 彡 ┻━┻
last time i checked; rabid fangirls like their men single *cough*kyrie*cough*

//lurks

veg-G

Mmm-hmm.....so what were we talking about again?
i only read the title and the main post....sorry.

but for me, i didn't think dmc 4 was all that good.....it appeals to girls? that is weird.

i liked dmc 3 much better....cuz dante wasn't so weird in that one

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I think this article is full of crap. Nero was a GREAT character and I'm HAPPY they put him into the DMC world. DMC4 was a AWESOME game plain and simple. Yes it lacked the extras DMC3SE had but what is done is done. If this game was really made for women it was, because in the end some men and women liked it. I am a man who liked DMC4. People look at me sig because Dante, Vergil, Nero and Sparda are just one big happy family! ^_^

Top Bottom