• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"Hardcore"?

Hazel

Let's go to the park and feed the trolls
If this has been posted before I apologize. The article is a week or two old, but some details seem to have slipped by, including this rather promising looking quote from director Tameem Antoniades:

“Often, when people talk about accessible, the sub-text is ‘they mean dumb it down’,” Antoniades says. “We wanted to make sure that’s absolutely not the case, so hence we’ve been collaborating quite deeply with Capcom Japan on the combat system, introducing all the elements that make DMC what it is.”

“Right up to familiar features for hardcore players like jump-cancelling, enemy step, parrying. They’re all in there. And the idea is that, even if you complete the game, even on the second playthrough, you’ll still be discovering more moves, more abilities, more ways to play.”

What do you think? I am pleased with the fact that they seem conscious of how truly "hardcore" some DMC experts really are. The direct reference to JC-ing is nice as well.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
yeah, i definitely hope they keep the difficulty that us dmc fans are accustomed to. we don't need another ninja gaiden 3 incident -.-

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
So besides capcom teaching NT how to pull off moves like jump canceling and enemy step, you guys need someone to show you its acctually possible? I promise I'll make a video of everything I can do, after I beat the game.
Same. I really really wanna get good at this game and start releasing combo vids.

Dante47

I don't doubt the "Hardcore"ness of the game. I've noticed that many of the enemies require certain combos. If the bosses are the same way, I'll be fine.

Gbraga

I didn't see any of that stuff in the trailers but ok.
Really? From the videos you can see jump cancelling, parrying, dodge (even in the air), drive, prop, shredder, stinger, million stabs (now trillion stabs), helm breaker and the list goes on.

Actually in this game we have so many possibilities that I wonder how the hell are they going to make this game difficult on Dante Must Die, you can do everything, if you're good the enemies won't even lay a hand on you lol

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
yeah jump cancelling is definitely in the game, which already proves some of the skeptics wrong on what they thought the combat would be.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
I dont' understand. Just cuz it has jump cancelling, it automatically becomes a "hardcore" game?? Help me out someone?

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
I dont' understand. Just cuz it has jump cancelling, it automatically becomes a "hardcore" game?? Help me out someone?
oh no i wasn't trying to say that. i was just saying that alot people said the game wouldn't even have jump cancelling and it does. so when ninja theory say they are keeping the game hardcore i'm leaning more towards their side instead of the people who said the game won't have jump cancelling, will be too easy, and the game won't be hardcore.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
oh no i wasn't trying to say that. i was just saying that alot people said the game wouldn't even have jump cancelling and it does. so when ninja theory say they are keeping the game hardcore i'm leaning more towards their side instead of the people who said the game won't have jump cancelling, will be too easy, and the game won't be hardcore.

Ahh... I see your point. But, as you know, you can still do an uppercut move while in the air with the Scythe which launches the enemy further into the air, then you can just use your sword to pull yourself towards the enemy, and ta-da..... you've reached a new height without even using Enemy Step. And if enemy step, as far as we've been shown, doesn't have much requirements in the game, then how and why would jump cancel?

Gbraga

Ahh... I see your point. But, as you know, you can still do an uppercut move while in the air with the Scythe which launches the enemy further into the air, then you can just use your sword to pull yourself towards the enemy, and ta-da..... you've reached a new height without even using Enemy Step. And if enemy step, as far as we've been shown, doesn't have much requirements in the game, then how and why would jump cancel?
If you do keep launching and pulling yourself, you'll reach the "rooftop" (as you can see in The Secret gameplay trailer), and Dante will automatically punch his way to the ground. This is not a good or even viable strategy at all.

Or at least it wasn't when they showed The Secret, maybe they took it out, who knows...

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
well i believe the reason it's so easy to stay in the air and obliterate enemies so easily is because it's on easy. now i can't know for sure if that's what mode it is in the gameplay, but i'm getting off point lol so as we've seen enemies can block dante's grab with shields, i'm thinking as difficulty increases enemies will hold the shields longer as well as still being able to block the grapple kinda like how the grunts in dmc3 could block attacks on higher difficulties. the same for the puppets in dmc4 blocking more and more as difficulty increases. so to answer your question, perhaps jump cancel will come in handy on later difficulties.

Top Bottom