• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Gibson vs Hardy

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Gonna be straight with you guys, Fury Road is the only Mad Max movie I've ever seen

Why is that?

Because I can't stand Mel Gibson. I don't like him as a person, or as an actor.

But the action movie fan in me, wanted to at-least give the Mad Max movies a chance

But then Fury Road came along, with Max now being played by Tom Hardy, who I loooooved as Bane in The Dark Knight Rises.

Obviously, I've admitted my bias, even if I hadn't seen the original 3. But I thought Tom did a fine job playing the rough, tough, silent, loner type

But this goes out to any Mad Max fans reading. Do you think Tom Hardy did an okay job as Max in Fury Road? Or can only Mel Gibson play Max? (No I'm not asking which you like MORE)

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Tom Hardy as Max was fantastic, and the movie in general is probably my favorite movie this year. Gibson and a couple of the previous movies were still good and all, but Fury Road is probably my favorite Mad Max film and the mantle is perfectly handled by Hardy.

But hold up, come on man. His Bane was terrible and wasn't Bane at all. That was a dumb terrorist with a Looney Tunes voice. Great actor, terrible Bane. The Dark Knight Rises was just garbage though anyway.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Tom Hardy as Max was fantastic, and the movie in general is probably my favorite movie this year. Gibson and a couple of the previous movies were still good and all, but Fury Road is probably my favorite Mad Max film and the mantle is perfectly handled by Hardy.

But hold up, come on man. His Bane was terrible and wasn't Bane at all. That was a dumb terrorist with a Looney Tunes voice. Great actor, terrible Bane. The Dark Knight Rises was just garbage though anyway.
*Shrugs* I got use to the voice, and thought he played a menacing villain. Also I do think TDR is the weakest of the trilogy, but I like the entire thing overall

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
*Shrugs* I got use to the voice, and thought he played a menacing villain. Also I do think TDR is the weakest of the trilogy, but I like the entire thing overall
Well, I'm a comic reader and Bane is one of my favorite Batman villains next to Mr. Freeze. I was massively disappointed in that portrayal.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I've seen the original & haven't yet watched Fury Road but me i can't compare original vs Fury Road because it would be like hollywood then vs hollywood today.
I think Mel Gibson is a great actor & From what i see Tom Hardy had the support of a great cast, great special effects, etc etc so from what little i've seen i think he did as well as any other actor in today's hollywood.

I think maybe Mel Gibson with all his experience would be better.
You're really missing out. Fury Road is that damn good. And it's from George Miller.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Tom actually met up with Mel Gibson to make sure he was ok with him playing the role and they had dinner together. Watched a couple of interviews with them both about it.

Hard to say really as I am a big Tom Hardy fan but also Mel Gibson has been in some of my favourite movies too (who can't like Lethal Weapon). However Mel has also played Max multiple times and I would say that Fury Road was more Furiosa's movie than Max's as he doesn't actually say all that much overall. Still I think they did a great job overall (especially with that most stunts/crashes/explosions there was no green screen) and think question should be asked again should the 2 sequels they have been speaking about go ahead.

If you liked him as Bane you should watch some of his other films/shows such as Bronson, Warrior, Legend, The Take (4 part TV show), Lawless, The Drop, Peaky Blinders (TV show he appears starting in season 2), Locke. Though also depends on how well you understand some accents. He's also appearing in a new movie with Leonardo Di Caprio called The Revenant.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
*Shrugs* I got use to the voice, and thought he played a menacing villain.

Yes he did. Since most of his face was covered, he had to rely on his eyes's expression and his body language. And goddamn he pulled it off. Too bad for the voice, but overall, totally managed to appear menacing.

Fury Road... well it's the only Mad Max movie I've seen, just like you, and thought Hardy did ok. Not terrible by any means, but not exceptional either. It's not one of those performances that got stuck in my mind after the film was over, you know.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Seen all the movies and it's the complete opposite for me as I'm a fan of Mel Gibson but while I think he was the better Max, Tom Hardy did a killer job and admittedly seeing him as Max beat those war boys with the flaming guitar always puts a smile on my face.

Fury Road is my movie of the year and I'm planning on picking up the Mad Max game soon as I just wanna play it so much but I've been rocking MGS5 non stop(haven't even finished Arkham Knight yet due to MGS5).

But still I don't see how Mad Max Wasteland will be able to surpass Fury Road, the real reason why Fury Road was so damn awesome is because we haven't seen Fury Road's kinda heavy metal awesomeness in a long time, now that we've seen it recently, it has to go even more metal to be even more cool, now that we've seen jumping monster trucks, flaming guitar trucks, Cadillacs mixed with tractor wheels and a Rig with 2 supercharged V8 engines, the next movie is gonna have to bring us something insanely awesome, I don't know how Miller is gonna do it but I hope he does.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
is it okay to post here since it's rather old? i'll try anyway..

for those who haven't seen the gibson's mad max, you guys should try the first one, not the sequels, really can't enjoy the sequels which i think have really strayed from the original, like riddick to chronicles, they tried to expand it too much (but i do like chronicles of riddick).. the first mad max, it's a really good movie imo..

it's some kind of an absurd movie for me dunno what's the exact word to decsribe it, i forgot what the point to the movie was, but everything delivers, the frustating depressing wasteland of a future filled with weirdos.. and gibson's acting in it was top notch.. gotta note, i don't see it as an action movie, but you guys should definitely try it

the first mad max was like the first rocky and the first rambo for me, they're miles better than the sequels while the rest was just for the money

tom hardy in fury road is really good, but like drakan said, it's more of a furiosa movie..

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
the first mad max was like the first rocky and the first rambo for me, they're miles better than the sequels while the rest was just for the money

Never watched any of them. But usually in most cases the first film is the best one compared to sequels (I tend to find).

Have you seen Creed? That's good.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Never watched any of them. But usually in most cases the first film is the best one compared to sequels (I tend to find).

OMG, Creed was excellent, I thought it was just as good as the first Rocky.

Anywho, I've seen the other movies since I made this thread, and I actually think the first is the worst. Not that it's bad, just liked the others more.

Plus, while it is true, a lot of times the first is the best, it's not always true.

Terminator 2, The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, X2, Days of Future Past, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes....Heck I can think of 3, maybe another where it's borderline, Star Wars movies I like more then A New Hope (The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and The Force Awakens...and for me it's very borderline with Revenge of the Sith)

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted

yeah, that's the case in almost all movies..

and yeah, definitely have watched creed, me and my friends kept praising it when it's released, that's actually a good way to bring back an old fame without having to remake or reboot it, that and the fact that they done it in a reboot and remake trend

Anywho, I've seen the other movies since I made this thread, and I actually think the first is the worst. Not that it's bad, just liked the others more.

i could understand that honestly, when i watched the first mad max i felt like watching a clockwork orange, and indeed the sequels felt more alive, but somehow i liked the first one better

Top Bottom