• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ghosts and paranormal

Do you believe in ghosts?

• Yes

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I'd settle with Lestat de Lioncourt's way of drinking: the right quantity of blood without killing. And the hunt is part of the fun!!
LOL I bet you're talking about this kind of vampire
Again, there is room for doubt on that one too.
well how ? that's just preposterous there should be like uncountable dead organisms on earth and all of them having a single soul is just screwed up beyond logic

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
well how ? that's just preposterous there should be like uncountable dead organisms on earth and all of them having a single soul is just screwed up beyond logic
Loving the Robot Chicken clip:lol: Love that show.

First you'd have to prove scientifically if a soul exists and come to a universal agreement of what a soul is. I've heard a soul being like the emotions, or the lingering memory or just an electrical force.

There's also, I know I'm about to use Final Fantasy logic, but you know the life stream in Final Fantasy VII? The idea that when someone dies, their soul or spirit energy goes back to the planet and joins with all the other spirit energy to form one big consciousness. That sort of thing.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Lol.
As for souls, well, I don't know. It's not that souls, being immaterial, take much room... ;P But if you are saying that we shoud use Ockham's razor, and not multiplicate entities beyond necessity... Agh, it's complicated. I am too tired to discuss this now.
Let's just say that my rational part may agree that souls don't probably exist, while my irrational part... well, is being stubborn in believing. Oh gosh.

Edit:
First you'd have to prove scientifically if a soul exists and come to a universal agreement of what a soul is. I've heard a soul being like the emotions, or the lingering memory or just an electrical force.
Yeah, that's exactly what my rational part should have said, had I not been so tired.
There's also, I know I'm about to use Final Fantasy logic, but you know the life stream in Final Fantasy VII? The idea that when someone dies, their soul or spirit energy goes back to the planet and joins with all the other spirit energy to form one big consciousness. That sort of thing.
And yes, that's what my irrational part believes.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Something which seems improbable and preposterous doesn't need to be "disproved" its scientifically proven that the Brain makes you nothing else if your brain gets damaged you lose yourself

So if you lose your unique consciousness by just damaging your brain then there's no reason for a soul to exist.. which would be just like a mold of a former self which is unable to distinguish itself from all other molds
The idea that when someone dies, their soul or spirit energy goes back to the planet and joins with all the other spirit energy to form one big consciousness. That sort of thing.
Uh yes according to newton energy never dies but he never said a consciousness cannot die

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Something which seems improbable and preposterous doesn't need to be "disproved" its scientifically proven that the Brain makes you nothing else if your brain gets damaged you lose yourself
Humans do like to prove or disprove things though. Such as what a soul is. They've been doing it for millennia. No reason to stop now.They even thought at one point that women had no soul:lol:
The brain is the self, it is the collection of our memories and experiences, the sum of our being, but I understood the soul to be something slightly different to that. And you're right, if the brain dies, you lose that sense of 'self' and if there is a stroke or amnesia, a different 'self' can be born after recovery.
The brain is fascinating.

So if you lose your unique consciousness by just damaging your brain then there's no reason for a soul to exist.. which would be just like a mold of a former self which is unable to distinguish itself from all other molds
Uh yes according to newton energy never dies but he never said a consciousness cannot die
Some people say a soul is different to a brain. But I guess the idea of a soul came about because humans do not like the idea of everything they are in their mind just being reduced to nothing and non existence. At least with a soul there is some hope of something of the self living on in another form. It eases the mind for death.

Energy just gets used again, reabsorbed into something else....as for the mind, it depends on belief. If one believes a soul is linked to an aspect of a persons consciousness and that the soul is a type of energy, then by that reasoning a soul could live on and a part of the person with it. But that's all down to belief.

Angel General

Cristal, Advisor to Emperor Glaser & sky goddess
I bet none of you have ever seen animal ghosts. If ghosts existed there would be billions of them and they'd be all over the place, there wouldn't be just a few. There would be ant ghosts walking around and fly ghosts absolutely everywhere since there are more flies on Earth than humans to start with. When things die, they decompose and the energy that was used to power their body is drained away as heat energy and dissipates. Things just can't live without energy. That's my view anyway:I

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I bet none of you have ever seen animal ghosts. If ghosts existed there would be billions of them and they'd be all over the place, there wouldn't be just a few. There would be ant ghosts walking around and fly ghosts absolutely everywhere since there are more flies on Earth than humans to start with. When things die, they decompose and the energy that was used to power their body is drained away as heat energy and dissipates. Things just can't live without energy. That's my view anyway:I

Yes, it's like, when someone dies in a place, in a house or a room in a house, or a spot outside... people will feel it's a hallowed place. But every inch of the planet has been a grave, either for a human, or a million other living things. To start thinking about what has died and where... when you realise how many things have died, and will die... there's just no point even following that train of thought ANY further to the idea of places being haunted or lived in by spirits like that. EVERY spot on Earth is haunted, then, by a million spirits. So... why care...? Nothing makes that spot special.

If I start thinking about all the dead stuff lying under my computer chair and under the floorboards... possibly human, but definitely of other types... I just don't want to. I mean... all soil is made of two things... little rocks, and remains. And it's everywhere. Everywhere there is soil there's 'graves'. And to think they dug up Richard III from under a car park. Makes you wonder what's under your house, doesn't it?

But no, I don't think it's haunted by the spirits of stuff.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
It eases the mind for death.
Well i don't know about you but i don't fear death its silly why should i ?
If one believes a soul is linked to an aspect of a persons consciousness and that the soul is a type of energy, then by that reasoning a soul could live on and a part of the person with it. But that's all down to belief.
I'd call it a delusion

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Well i don't know about you but i don't fear death its silly why should i ? I'd call it a delusion
I don't fear death, I don't really have any feeling towards it one way or the other. It just happens.

As for people being delusional, it's what they believe. If the idea of the soul, whatever it is, living on after death eases peoples minds about death, then let them beleive it. Each to their own.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I always see people saying "There's no such thing as ghost".

and I'm like "Okay. Then go spend the night in an old dark castle or Vlad the impaler's castle, and I'll see you in two days".

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
I would definitely do that if I had the chance :lol: sounds fun! I don't scare easily so I like to put myself in scary situations:3
Can I come with you?! I'd be probably scared sh!tless, but, well... it's VLAD THE IMPALER we're talking about! :w00t:
As a fan of TRUE vampires, I cannot stand back!!

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
So with all that said, we have two facts:

1 - it would be really hard for ghosts to exist because earth would be overcrowded, whether we see them or not makes no difference because there would still not be enough space for all of them - thus reaching the conclusion that ghosts probably aren't real

and

2 - people have genuinely witnessed ghosts throughout history and to current day

Conclusion???

-edit-
Animals don't have souls.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
So with all that said, we have two facts:

1 - it would be really hard for ghosts to exist because earth would be overcrowded, whether we see them or not makes no difference because there would still not be enough space for all of them - thus reaching the conclusion that ghosts probably aren't real

and

2 - people have genuinely witnessed ghosts throughout history and to current day

Conclusion???
Conclusion= Cognitive dissonance?:/

-edit-
Animals don't have souls.
Depends on the belief system of the person. Some think animals have a soul, or at least a spirit and others don't think animals have a soul and that a soul is for humans only.Some even think plants have a soul or spirit, and some think everything in nature from rocks to water have spirits too.

There's an article here about the Pope thinking animals have souls. So I guess it's down to the individual.
http://www.dreamshore.net/rococo/pope.html

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Depends on the belief system of the person. Some think animals have a soul, or at least a spirit and others don't think animals have a soul and that a soul is for humans only.Some even think plants have a soul or spirit, and some think everything in nature from rocks to water have spirits too.

There's an article here about the Pope thinking animals have souls. So I guess it's down to the individual.
http://www.dreamshore.net/rococo/pope.html
The Pope smokes weed.
Just kidding!!!

Sure I can believe that every living thing on earth has its own energy and life source. Considering souls and spirits and such have come from spiritual beliefs, it is as you say, how the individual views these things.
Personally I can't see animals having souls as we do.

OR conclusion = it's something other than ghosts.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
The Pope smokes weed.
Just kidding!!!

Sure I can believe that every living thing on earth has its own energy and life source. Considering souls and spirits and such have come from spiritual beliefs, it is as you say, how the individual views these things.
Personally I can't see animals having souls as we do.

OR conclusion = it's something other than ghosts.
I guess from the Pope's point of view, from what I understand, the reasoning was that if god made humans with a soul, and god also made animals, so they have a soul too purely because god made them.

I wonder if the belief in everything having an energy does come from the science of energy not dying? The way humans are made of all sorts of minerals that have lasted for millions...billions of years before they were formed into humans, and when humans die, those parts are reabsorbed and become a part of another lifeform. That kind of thing? Almost like a Lion King's 'Circle of life' moment:p

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I'm like "Okay. Then go spend the night in an old dark castle or Vlad the impaler's castle, and I'll see you in two days".
well i never said i like being lonely and deserted.. it just hurts man No one likes living alone unless you're this guy
225px-Norman-bates.png

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
well i never said i like being lonely and deserted.. it just hurts man No one likes living alone unless you're this guy
225px-Norman-bates.png
I think a human could live alone, but it would be a dangerous thing to do because it's only you and your mind. That sort of thing can get pretty ugly.
Failing that, people left on their own for a long time have been known to 'make friends' with inanimate objects and have conversations with them. I guess it's something to do with humans being gregarious, so they make company even with objects to stop being alone.

Top Bottom