• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Future of the Devil May Cry franchise?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Partially true. The game went through multiple senarios and at one point it was Leon at another Tony, there was one where he was a treasure hunter and one where his powers were caused by the T-virus. The original scenario, though, was Leon, and the it changed to Tony.

RE4 also went through several scenarios like the one where there was a fog that was literally driving Leon insane and you didn't know if what was attacking him was real or not, one that took place on a giant air ship that had a reoccurring creepy doll and one where he was been chased by a scary man with giant scissors.

Actually, this was all Konami. MGR was written by Kojima, Platinum just did the gameplay.
MGR wasn't written by Kojima, it was Etsu Tamari. He hardly had much involvement with Rising and just basically gave the people his ok and the lack of that directorial flare the Metal Gear series is known for sure as hell is obviously lacking. Trust me, I know Metal Gear. I've always wanted a cyborg ninja game but I want a TRUE Metal Gear Cyborg Ninja game. MGR just seems like P*'s cover of a Metal Gear game and I sure as hell was let down by it. It's not just even the universal hatred for Raiden, it really does lack the Metal Gear charm and any Metal Gear fan would tell you the same. P* might be all about style over substance but Metal Gear had both and Rising is suppose to be a Metal Gear game regardless of the change in genre and spinoff status surrounding it.

I hope they let Kojima work on his Gray Fox game because that's what everyone always wanted and if Kojima would be directly involved with the story and all that than we can get a Metal Gear experience. P* doesn't get Metal Gear and also the gameplay was still lackluster on their part.

Slacri

Actually, this was all Konami. MGR was written by Kojima, Platinum just did the gameplay.

Kojima didn't write MGR. He had almost nothing to do with the game really, Kojipro did the writing.
It just lacked the Metal Gear charm and any fan would tell you the same.
I'm a fan of Metal Gear and I loved the game. I thought it fit in surprisingly well despite the new direction.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Kojima didn't write MGR. He had almost nothing to do with the game really, Kojipro did the writing.

I'm a fan of Metal Gear and I loved the game. I thought it fit in surprisingly well despite the new direction.
I stand by what I said. It feels like Metal Gear in name only and lacks that Kojima directorial flare. I can tell when Kojima writes and is on board a Metal Gear title. You just kind of feel that sh!t. Like it's in your blood. Raiden is still also a retarded character and no matter how anyone tries to bend over backwards to try and say Raiden is "cool" in a lot of fans eyes, he will never be and is beyond any sort of redemption. Anime hair looking idiot now still wearing high heels no less, because Raiden wasn't feminine enough. Gray Fox would be the Cyborg Ninja game all the Metal Gear fans want hands down, end of story, Raiden is still universally hated by a lot of people.

I don't absolutely hate Rising and it isn't because of something like the character who stars in it. But Rising is really not that great and should have been better. Also it really needs that Metal Gear substance. P* doesn't get Metal Gear and they even delivered a very shallow combat system compared to other games I've seen by them. The butthurt DMC fans who consider P* a godsend in the gaming industry despite the company never dishing out anything above the decent mark gave more attention to Rising than the Metal Gear fans did. I want a sequel improving on this and starring Gray Fox.

I only care about Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain though as far as Metal Gear goes now. Especially since in about 4 days Kojima at GDC will be revealing what The Phantom Pain is and all about the Fox Engine. Screw the hack n slashers it's time to get back to the real Metal Gear games and I'm hyped as all hell.

berto

I Saw the Devil
MGR wasn't written by Kojima, it was Etsu Tamari. He hardly had much involvement with Rising and just basically gave the people his ok and the lack of that directorial flare the Metal Gear series is known for sure as hell is obviously lacking.
If Etsu Tamari isn't involved in the writing why is he posting on the P* blog about writing a metal gear senario?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
If Etsu Tamari isn't involved in the writing why is he posting on the P* blog about writing a metal gear senario?
I was talking about Kojima not writing it and being hardly involved. And that also makes sense because he's got Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain on his plate.

Slacri

I stand by what I said. It feels like Metal Gear in name only and lacks that Kojima directorial flare. I can tell when Kojima writes and is on board a Metal Gear title. You just kind of feel that sh!t. Like it's in your blood. Raiden is still also a retarded character and no matter how anyone tries to bend over backwards to try and say Raiden is "cool" in a lot of fans eyes, he will never be and is beyond any sort of redemption. Anime hair looking idiot now still wearing high heels no less, because Raiden wasn't feminine enough. Gray Fox would be the Cyborg Ninja game all the Metal Gear fans want hands down, end of story, Raiden is still universally hated by a lot of people.
I guess I'd feel the opposite. It's a lot more flashy in its approach but it still has the classic Metal Gear themes and it felt right in with the franchise. Raiden's Jack The Ripper thing is very jarring, and while I don't think he was a good character in MGR, he was a great character in 2 despite the fanboy Snake backlash. I don't know if he was too great in 4, but then again nothing was too great in Metal Gear Solid: Asspull of the century.

I don't absolutely hate Rising and it isn't because of something like the character who stars in it. But Rising is really not that great and should have been better. Also it really needs that Metal Gear substance. P* doesn't get Metal Gear and they even delivered a very shallow combat system compared to other games I've seen by them. The butthurt DMC fans who consider P* a godsend in the gaming industry despite the company never dishing out anything above the decent mark gave more attention to Rising than the Metal Gear fans did. I want a sequel improving on this and starring Gray Fox.
I thought it was pretty great, although it was clearly rushed due to Platinum only having a year or so to make it. While not as substantial as other Metal Gears it had similar themes and fit right in with the universe for me. I thought the combat system was pretty solid but with some flaws that they should really patch up for the inevitable sequel. Platinum didn't write the game, so I don't know why you're coming down on them so hard for the story. And for me they've delivered some awful games and some great games. Bayonetta, Vanquish and now Rising are some of my favorites, and back when they were Clover Viewtiful Joe, God Hand and Okami are also some favorites of mine.
That's a freaking forum post made by someone like you and me and also I don't know what I'm looking for. There's too much and I don't feel like sorting through it.
It's a forum post by a Platinum employee saying they didn't write the game, and there's an interview with Kojima and Platinum that explains that Kojipro is behind the writing.

berto

I Saw the Devil
That's a freaking forum post made by someone like you and me and also I don't know what I'm looking for. There's too much and I don't feel like sorting through it.
What you are looking for is at the bottom and no, that is a post made by someone with an opinion, he is the moderator of the Platinum games US site and one of the chief staff members at Platinum Games which credits include translation and script for Bayonetta, music coordinator for Anarchy Reigns and MGR. I know this because I met him at the Comic-Con at the developers party for Bayonetta that year so I know he is someone with authority in the matter.

Nice guy, invites people on the site to all sorts of events when he's state side.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I guess I'd feel the opposite. It's a lot more flashy in its approach but it still has the classic Metal Gear themes and it felt right in with the franchise. Raiden's Jack The Ripper thing is very jarring, and while I don't think he was a good character in MGR, he was a great character in 2 despite the fanboy Snake backlash. I don't know if he was too great in 4, but then again nothing was too great in Metal Gear Solid: Asspull of the century.

I thought it was pretty great, although it was clearly rushed due to Platinum only having a year or so to make it. While not as substantial as other Metal Gears it had similar themes and fit right in with the universe for me. I thought the combat system was pretty solid but with some flaws that they should really patch up for the inevitable sequel. Platinum didn't write the game, so I don't know why you're coming down on them so hard for the story. And for me they've delivered some awful games and some great games. Bayonetta, Vanquish and now Rising are some of my favorites, and back when they were Clover Viewtiful Joe, God Hand and Okami are also some favorites of mine.

It's a forum post by a Platinum employee saying they didn't write the game, and there's an interview with Kojima and Platinum that explains that Kojipro is behind the writing.

You thought Raiden was a good character in 2? Are you kidding me? He was a whiny little b!tch that wanted to argue with his girlfriend every 5 minutes. He was so goddamn annoying. I adore Viewtiful Joe and I also dug Okami but they didn't make those. A few people who worked on those are now a part of P* but we can't count those. The game I liked the most from P* was MadWorld and that was basically because I really dug the comic book visuals and the overall ultra violent tone the game had. It was cool. I hate Bayonetta because I dislike the ugly lead character and also the hyper sexualization is just way too stupid. If I wanted to watch hentai, I got hentai to watch and again, I don't like Bayonetta trying to get all up in my face because I find her ugly and weird looking. But the combat in Bayonetta held more depth than Rising.

Rising was not rushed. Why can't you just accept that Rising has its fair share of flaws and deserves criticism just as much as the rest? It seems like this whole rush claim is getting pulled out of people's butts just because they don't want to admit the flaws in the games they like. If I go out and buy any game I want the full package to get as much treatment as everything else would get. If I ordered food and someone only bothered to cook one thing on my plate then it doesn't excuse them and doesn't make up for the rest of the meal. You messed up and you own up to it. P* is not that great a company. They are actually very mediocre. If I had to pick a favorite company it would probably be Rockstar.

I actually have respect for a company like Rockstar because not only do they dish out amazing games like Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto but they're one of the few companies out there that actually care about the quality of their finished product.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...Frequent-GTA-Releases-Would-Degrade-Franchise

Slacri

You thought Raiden was a good character in 2? Are you kidding me? He was a whiny little b!tch that wanted to argue with his girlfriend every 5 minutes. He was so goddamn annoying.
He was a good representation of the player and worked on that level. I don't even particularly recall him whining much. He goes through most of the mission straight and actually doesn't talk much. Raiden as a representation of the player and if you see what Kojima was trying to achieve with MGS2 he becomes a much more admirable character. In 4 he was a bit eh, but everything in 4 was meh.
I adore Viewtiful Joe and I also dug Okami but they didn't make those. A few people who worked on those are now a part of P* but we can't count those. The game I liked the most from P* was MadWorld and that was basically because I really dug the comic book visuals and the overall ultra violent tone the game had. It was cool. I hate Bayonetta because I dislike the ugly lead character and also the hyper sexualization is just way too stupid. If I wanted to watch hentai, I got hentai to watch and again, I don't like Bayonetta trying to get all up in my face because I find her ugly and weird looking. But the combat in Bayonetta held more depth than Rising.

I guess we just judge games differently then, because I didn't care much for the sexualizing in Bayonetta but the combat was top notch and that's what I go to the genre for in the first place.

Rising was not rushed. Why can't you just accept that Rising has its fair share of flaws and deserves criticism just as much as the rest?
It was rushed, and that's a flaw. If you know anything about the development you'd know this. Kojipro could not make the game and had no clue how to implement the cutting mechanic. The game was about to get canned by Kojima until he got Platinum to do it, and they had to do a quick job to get it out.
It seems like this whole rush claim is getting pulled out of people's butts just because they don't want to admit the flaws in the games they like.
Being rushed is a flaw, and it's a common complaint that I agree with for the last chapter or so of the game. I already admitted the game had it's flaws but I feel the solid gameplay of it shines through.

I don't particularly care for Rockstar now. I loved San Andreas but GTA 4 and RDR really just weren't to my liking.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
He was a good representation of the player and worked on that level. I don't even particularly recall him whining much. He goes through most of the mission straight and actually doesn't talk much. Raiden as a representation of the player and if you see what Kojima was trying to achieve with MGS2 he becomes a much more admirable character. In 4 he was a bit eh, but everything in 4 was meh.

I guess we just judge games differently then, because I didn't care much for the sexualizing in Bayonetta but the combat was top notch and that's what I go to the genre for in the first place.

It was rushed, and that's a flaw. If you know anything about the development you'd know this. Kojipro could not make the game and had no clue how to implement the cutting mechanic. The game was about to get canned by Kojima until he got Platinum to do it, and they had to do a quick job to get it out. Being rushed is a flaw, and it's a common complaint that I agree with for the last chapter or so of the game. I already admitted the game had it's flaws but I feel the solid gameplay of it shines through.

I don't particularly care for Rockstar now. I loved San Andreas but GTA 4 and RDR really just weren't to my liking.
GTA 4 was ok but didn't really live up to San Andreas. They addressed their screw up with 4 and was their first new generation game so I can forgive them. GTA 5 is looking absolutely fantastic and Rockstar obviously cares about it.

Red Dead Redemption was incredible. The story, characters, and gameplay were all top notch. I'm more of a retro gamer so I play more older titles more than anything but, RDR is one of the few newer generation titles I loved so much I can safely add it to my list of favorites.

Slacri

GTA 4 was ok but didn't really live up to San Andreas. They addressed their screw up with 4 and was their first new generation game so I can forgive them. GTA 5 is looking absolutely fantastic and Rockstar obviously cares about it.

Red Dead Redemption was incredible. The story, characters, and gameplay were all top notch. I'm more of a retro gamer so I play more older titles more than anything but, RDR is one of the few newer generation titles I loved so much I can safely add it to my list of favorites.

I don't think GTA 4 or RDR were bad. They just weren't to my liking. I think the clunky feeling of the horses, while probably intentional really dragged RDR down for me and discouraged me a bit to explore the world.

, it really does lack the Metal Gear charm and any Metal Gear fan would tell you the same.

So am I not a Metal Gear fan then? Okay, I understand. Guess I'll stop telling people I'm a fan of the franchise because I am obviously wrong. I have been pretty delusional up until today.

Friendly reminder

Metal Gear Solid isn't really a very serious series anyway. People are somehow fooled into thinking it is.

The Pain in Metal Gear Solid 3 can shoot bees from his mouth.
There's a psychic in Metal Gear Solid who can read your memory cards.
Ocelot tells you not to use a turbo controller.
Snake points at his headband and replies with "Infinite ammo" when Raiden asks him if he has enough ammunition
The Codec calls in Arsenal Gear

Seriously, I could go on forever. Metal Gear Rising was nothing out of the ordinary in the Metal Gear Universe. Those things that I listed are why I love the Metal Gear Series by the way.

But what would someone who isn't 'really' a metal gear fan know?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
So am I not a Metal Gear fan then? Okay, I understand. Guess I'll stop telling people I'm a fan of the franchise because I am obviously wrong. I have been pretty delusional up until today.

Friendly reminder

But what would someone who isn't 'really' a metal gear fan know?
I know how silly Metal Gear can get. I make fun of it a lot just like I make fun of everything basically. I can get the feels playing Metal Gear though. Kojima made me kill The Boss with my own hands, you genius bastard. And I am personally more attached to these characters than others. Rising really lacks the directorial flare I notice in a game made by Kojima. I don't mind watching cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid because it all plays out pretty cool. Even if Kojima can just talk for hours and say nothing!

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm going to nitpick a bit and just point out that this isn't true. Dante was never going to be Leon, he was going to be an entirely new character called Tony Redgrave. Though I will say that DMC4 Dante and RE6 Leon share a striking resemblance.
I have to make a retraction and say that this is correct. I had to go and check around the sources but Leon did not come in till after RE4's original senarios were scraped and the game was renamed. So I was wrong. My bad.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
It's hard to see what happens for DMC in the future, the dream for all fans (new and old) would be to have both the original and new direction going, I truly do hope that happens.
But if it's just DmC2, I'll be there to boycott it with everyone else and smile as it becomes just another flop, if it's DMC5 with the proper effort put into it, the majority of fans will be happy and will forget that unwanted reboot ever happened.

If it is indeed DMC5, what I want to be done first is that the "main focus on story" and "believable" characters get f**ked!!!
Of course give it a good plot, but I don't want that Hollywood acting and Cinematic blockbuster bulls**t to be the golden spot of the game!

Also for the love of god!! Give me back the sexy & badass Trish and Lady as well as new sexy babes!!
There was nothing badass or sexy or even babe about Kat at all, all she bought me was boredom and squirrel semen.

KtWtWiS43

Why do I get the feeling that the Capcom office is like Marty and Dana at the end of "Cabin in the Woods" holding each other, crying, smoking a doobie saying "Maybe it's time to give someone else a chance" ?

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
If there was a choice, then DMC 5 should be made. Im pretty sure one is gonna be made.

Top Bottom