• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Favorite Animated Batman films

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
So, been talking a bit about the live-action films, and how The Dark Knight's my favorite Batman film
Now I have to admit, I usually roll my eyes at anyone who says Kevin Conroy's a better Batman then Keaton, Bale, or Affleck.
Not that I don't like the voice actors, I just hold live action actors to a higher standard. Voice actors just have to say the lines, live action actors have to do that, plus walk around in a uncomfortable suit, act with their facial expressions, body language, and to a degree (depending on how much they do their own stunts, and how much cg is involved) learn to fight. And for me, they have the appeal of seeing a character physically come to life (As a kid, the coolest thing I ever saw, was Hugh Jackman as Wolverine pop out his claws for the first time)
So for those reasons, I do tend to hold live action above animated films.
Now, that being said, I do still love the animated movies, and I'm gonna talk about my top 3

3)
batman-the-dark-knight-returns-deluxe-edition-54c04a0ca31c1.jpg

The Dark Knight Returns (Parts 1&2)​
I love how this shows an older Batman, he's not what he use to be, he's been outta the game for about a decade. He's a bit more grizzled then what we're use to, and even more brutal.
It also has, what I consider to be, the most intense fight between Batman and the Joker ever.
And they finish it off with a brawl with Superman.
What's not too love?

2)
batman-maska-na-prizrak-1993-batman-mask-of-the-phantasm-1993-18-08-2014-09-55-32.jpg

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (AKA Batman The Animated Movie)​
Mask of the Phantasm was my introduction to Batman, and superheros, the film is set at some point in the continuity of the DCAU.
It has the same hand drawn animation, though grander, and noir style as the animated series.
It also showed a small part of Bruce becoming Batman, and features a moment I will admit, a live action film, could NEVER replicate

1)
latest

Batman: Under the Red Hood​
Gonna admit, I've never cared for Robin, well I like Dick Grayson as Nightwing. But the idea of someone like Batman, having a teenage sidekick, never really appealed to me.
Then I saw Under the Red Hood, and was introduced to what became one of my favorite DC, or specifically Batman, characters, Jason Tood AKA Red Hood, formally Robin II.
I gotta admit, the idea of a Robin gone bad, and using methods Batman wouldn't approve of, was one of the most interesting ideas I've ever heard.
The great thing about most of Batman's villains, is how they're a victim of circumstance. Two-Face was a district attorney, with a split personality, though still a good man, driven mad after he was scared. Mr Freeze, resorts to crime, in-order to help him save his wife. Even the Joker, was driven mad after a series of hardships "One bad day". Jason Todd was just an angry kid on the streets, taught to be a crime fighter, murdered, and is enraged because his mentor/father figure didn't avenge him.

So that's my top 3, yours? Or if you want, name one, or name more then three, that's just how I did it.

Last edited:

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
The Dark Knight Returns - Old, rugged, assholey Bruce taking on his former rogues and eventually the government in a two-part epic. The fights were brutal, Peter Weller as Batman was awesome, and the writing was blockbuster-level. I've seen really good live-action, theatrical films which got surpassed in the writing department by The Dark Knight Returns, a direct-to-video film. That's how good the film was.

If you are not sure whether to watch it, just take a look at his final fight with the Mutant leader.

Assault on Arkham - While technically not a Batman film, there is Batman in it even though he operates in small doses this time. And boy oh boy, is he good in it. The film does something different by offering the viewer a look at Batman through the villain's eyes. Seeing them collectively crap all over their pants everytime Batman make an appearance is priceless, not to mention the character dynamics and the humor. Honestly, I was really glad to see the Suicide Squad film was taking inspiration from this film. It's the main reason why I'm so hyped for it.

The Batman vs Dracula - Okay, not many will agree with me on this. I've yet to see Batman vs Dracula in anyone's top ten Batman list and to be frank, I can't understand why. Maybe it's due to the fact that The Batman TV series got a bad reputation as the retarded brother of the "objectively" better Batman: The Animated Series, but I find both shows good. Not to mention how this film has a much darker tone than the show, and it almost feels like a true, mature Batman even though the film itself targets a young audience.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
3265250-0607501579-Batma.jpg
Batman Beyond has been my favorite property/franchise relating to the Dark Knight for years. It provided a possible future for Batman that I actually liked---because if I'm being perfectly honest, I found Frank Miller's depiction of a futuristic Caped Crusader in The Dark Knight Returns as laughably-stupid. Beyond made the immensely-smart decision of Batman facing his own age as an insurmountable obstacle that even he couldn't triumph over. His begrudging, cold, and calculating nature was transferred to his ancient self flawlessly, and was never compromised for a shallow "cool" factor, and the idea of him reluctantly but gradually passing the mantle to a younger protegee worked even better than it should have with the stark contrast between him and Terry, resulting in many scalding arguments and hard lessons between the two of them, mellowing Bruce out from his staunchy nature as a crimefighter first and a human being second, and developing Terry from a impulsive kid to a worthy warrior. But the one thing people complained about was that the series didn't utilize enough of the original Batman villains. Personally, I thought decision that actually paid-off, forcing the writers to come up with new villans and struggles unique to Terry himself, instead of recycling every foe the Batman before him had fought. But when the show was eventually cancelled, I and many other Beyond fans wondered what kind of confrontation would ensue between an unknowing rookie like Terry, and the single greatest foe in Batman's rogues gallery.

And then, the day of reckoning came: Return of the Joker marked the advent of quite possibly Mark Hamhill's most sinister depiction of the Joker character. From his maniacal design, to his intricate master-plan to use Batman's most treasured asset against him, to the brilliant flashback sequence of their last confrontation together---one of which still lingers with many as the DCAU's darkest moment. Watching Terry go from dismissing the Joker as an old-school threat to acknowledging him as a hazardous enemy is interesting as well, and his approach to fighting him isn't a shameless attempt to replicate what his predecessor would've done, either: He plays the Joker's game and wins, and that alone is immensely satisfying to watch.

A movie so good, it convinced DC to keep pursuing potential Batman Beyond storylines in comics, in the form of the excellent and thoroughly-underrated Justice League Beyond and Batman Beyond 2.0 series.

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
The dark knight returns

Under the red hood

Assault on gotham

Son of batman

Batman gotham knight

Batman vs Robin

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

Its an unconventional choice because it's not a batman solo film but I thought it had a good take on Batman. It's a balance portrayal because he feels apart of the League without being Bat-god or Bat-jerk but still Batman.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
5.) Batman beyond: Return of the Joker.
giphy.gif

A classic of mine when I was younger. Terry really grew on me as Batman since...y'know. But in this movie, I liked the stark differences between Bruce and Terry in how they both did Batman. Terry loved to talk enemies down ala Dick Grayson, but still be focused to take enemies down. And then of course the idea of Joker returning to the future was a treat that I wasn't ready for. To this day, I still preferred the censored version of Joker's death simply because we don't see it, but we know what happened. And then of course the big reveal at the end that I didn't see coming back then. Seeing it again after so many years, and it still holds up nicely.

4.) Batman: Brave and the bold.
giphy.gif

Alright, alright go ahead and laugh at me about it. But I always stand firm by what I believe; Batman Brave and the Bold was a classical masterpiece of a series that was gravely underrated because it wasn't the usual dark, gritty Batman. Instead, this was a Batman straight from the Silver and Golden Age classics with Batman fighting monsters, robots, and joining other JL members along with the rouge gallery of Batman villains, and some older villains from the 50's and such. Sadly it came to an end and was replaced with the edgy stuff that was "Beware the Batman" which was pretty much what fans kept whining about wanting from Batman, and then they got it.

3.) The Batman
maxresdefault.jpg

Back then I admit, I never really watched the B:TAS (or maybe I did and just don't remember) but I did really pay attention to Batman when the 2004 animated Batman came around. It was the first Batman I've seen that didn't seem to take place in some old 60's or 70's type city. It was modern and still dark. I just liked the vibe of the series even if Batman's voice wasn't all that intimidating. And yeah, Batman vs Dracula was a spectacular movie that is very underrated. Can't say I like the design of the Joker in this series, but I do like that he can fight toe-to-toe with Batman.

2.) The Dark Knight Returns
tumblr_mgjpqqeS9Y1qa69wso1_400.gif

My second favorite version of an animated Batman. Big, tough, and ready to bust a head open and show these young brats how it's done. This was one of the biggest shocks I've ever gotten out of a Batman animated series just by how different it is. I was so use to the animated series and 2004 Batman, that when I finally watched this, I was a bit taken back by how raw Batman was in this one. And then of course came part two where Batman and Superman have their battle (where Superman was written as a lap dog and was nerfed by Miller to let Batman win) was still a great piece to see pop out of the comic.

1.) Batman Year One
tumblr_lz3j70tb661qktwuvo1_500.gif

One thing I like about my favorite characters is their origins and seeing them struggle on their first time. It builds character for me, and allows me to see them in their early days before becoming professional. And that's what I liked in this version of Batman. Him starting out and taking damage, and being put in a situation, unprepared but still roaring to fight. The movie mostly takes place in Gordon's perspective, but I actually like that. Sometimes less is more. The only thing I didn't like about this Batman was how corny his lines were as he monologued. Ironic that the voice of this Batman is now the younger Commissioner Gordon on Gotham.

Last edited:
Top Bottom