• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

F-bombs; What's the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

somekidfromthe90's

Ah, but you forget that Spider- Man has lost more than just his uncle. Don't forget the deaths of Norman and Harry Osborn, and Gwen Stacy.

Even though their backgrounds are different, the argument can still hold that, since they both have experienced high levels of trauma that no normal person can withstand without breaking down, and the fact that there characters have similarities, it can be arguable whether Dante's cussing is right or not when compared to a hero who has gone through as much trauma and hardly cusses.

Personally, if Dante doesn't cusses, I would consider him a stronger character for it.

(You guys owe me for this).
i disagree sir....you're evaluating it correctly but not showing the whole picture. Sure Spiderman has to deal with the death of his loved ones but he understands this; that's why he wears a mask so he can protect his identity and those around him. So, of course, the deaths will be tragic but not traumatizing since he already had the mental fortitude.

But for arguments sake let's say they DID experience high levels of trauma, they still cannot be compared equally. Dante was tortured AS A CHILD and, presumably, had NO RELATIVES or ANYONE TO CARE FOR HIM. Peter had, conversely, an ENTIRELY different upbringing: he still had his aunt and uncle who still showed him love and affection and acted as parental figures. So, again, you can't hold an accurate comparison between Dante and Spiderman because their backgrounds differ too much.

Railazel

Can you give me an example of what you'd see as better ways?

Like you remember the Mission 5 Trailer? Where he said, "Aw, come on"? It would've been funny if he said, "Aw, **** this!" That would made it much funnier.

So, of course, the deaths will be tragic but not traumatizing since he already had the mental fortitude.

Actually, most of the deaths were his fault. Plus just because you try to prevent deaths doesn't mean you have the mental fortitude to withstand seeing one.

Dante was tortured AS A CHILD and, presumably, had NO RELATIVES or ANYONE TO CARE FOR HIM. Peter had, conversely, an ENTIRELY different upbringing: he still had his aunt and uncle who still showed him love and affection and acted as parental figures. So, again, you can't hold an accurate comparison between Dante and Spiderman because their backgrounds differ too much.

Here's the thing though, Dante has extreme mental fortitude. Either that, or the torture wasn't that bad. He has shown no signs of being traumatized by the torture. It's either because he was able to withstand it both psychological and physical torture or he got used to at it some point. If we assume the latter, then it's no longer considered torture. The former would ask that, really, if he could withstand the torture, then what was the source of his endurance? In fact, if he was tortured since he was a kid, when did he realize that he was being tortured? Most children wouldn't realize it unless they are told that they are. And why did he decided to take revenge on them? Real life examples don't suggest that a person who has gone under extensive abuse decides to take vengeance on the abuser. They want compensation, but wouldn't want to give any form of pain. Taking vengeance is a form of submission towards your trauma and makes you no different than the person who abused you. So, considering what we know of his backstory and personality and from my one- year's worth of studying AP Psychology in high school, he's potentially a very psychologically weak character.

Then there's the fact that he had no one to care for him which means that he had never experienced the pain of loss, which is where the true argument lies in. And if PTS has shown anything, viewing the loss of a loved one is more scarring than being tortured your entire life. A scar, in the psychological sense, would be something that negatively changes your state of mind. Sometimes, your mind can handle some levels of trauma, but then there are times where something is so severe that your mind has change itself just to handle it. This could end in a lot of negative ways, the worst being insanity. Experiencing life- long abuse, however, doesn't really scar you, you just grow up in a very different way than most people.

In contrast to Dante, Spider Man has broken down from the deaths he had seen. He has experienced extreme mental pain at least four times. You could say the same with DMC 1 Dante. You can tell he was still traumatized by his mother's death since he broke down when Trish died and by his vengeance towards Mundus. Vergil was also traumatized, you could say that his cold personality and his obsessions with power was a response to the loss of his mother (as we've all have guessed).

So these characters have gained their mental strength post- trauma. Dante, however, hasn't really shown to have recovered from it. He just simply grew up with it.

Well, I guess then there goes your reason for his cussing.

somekidfromthe90's

Here's the thing though, Dante has extreme mental fortitude. Either that, or the torture wasn't that bad. He has shown no signs of being traumatized by the torture. It's either because he was able to withstand it both psychological and physical torture or he got used to at it some point. If we assume the latter, then it's no longer considered torture. The former would ask that, really, if he could withstand the torture, then what was the source of his endurance? In fact, if he was tortured since he was a kid, when did he realize that he was being tortured? Most children wouldn't realize it unless they are told that they are. And why did he decided to take revenge on them? Real life examples don't suggest that a person who has gone under extensive abuse decides to take vengeance on the abuser. They want compensation, but wouldn't want to give any form of pain. Taking vengeance is a form of submission towards your trauma and makes you no different than the person who abused you. So, considering what we know of his backstory and personality and from my one- year's worth of studying AP Psychology in high school, he's potentially a very psychologically weak character.

Then there's the fact that he had no one to care for him which means that he had never experienced the pain of loss, which is where the true argument lies in. And if PTS has shown anything, viewing the loss of a loved one is more scarring than being tortured your entire life. A scar, in the psychological sense, would be something that negatively changes your state of mind. Sometimes, your mind can handle some levels of trauma, but then there are times where something is so severe that your mind has change itself just to handle it. This could end in a lot of negative ways, the worst being insanity. Experiencing life- long abuse, however, doesn't really scar you, you just grow up in a very different way than most people.

In contrast to Dante, Spider Man has broken down from the deaths he had seen. He has experienced extreme mental pain at least four times. You could say the same with DMC 1 Dante. You can tell he was still traumatized by his mother's death since he broke down when Trish died and by his vengeance towards Mundus. Vergil was also traumatized, you could say that his cold personality and his obsessions with power was a response to the loss of his mother (as we've all have guessed).

So these characters have gained their mental strength post- trauma. Dante, however, hasn't really shown to have recovered from it. He just simply grew up with it.

Well, I guess then there goes your reason for his cussing.

Actually this validates my point that Dante and Spiderman are too different and cannot be compared equally. As you stated Dante grew up with torture and mistreatment; Spiderman grew up with love and support. Dante never experienced the pain of a loss(from what we know now) and Spiderman has.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Damn I failed to break or derail the topic.

........I don't know Railazel you had me when you proposed changing one of new Dante's lines that doesn't have cursing & replaced it with "Aw **** this!" but all the while saying not cursing would make him a better character. I don't care about Dante's language but this debate as its not just about how the new Dante speaks but your standpoint.

You say cursing makes his character worse yet opt to have him using curse words in more a creative manner(like Suda). That type of logic sounds very contradictory.

Zargus

Do you know how to install true FEAR?!
Premium
Damn I failed to break or derail the topic.

........I don't know Railazel you had me when you proposed changing one of new Dante's lines that doesn't have cursing & replaced it with "Aw **** this!" but all the while saying not cursing would make him a better character. I don't care about Dante's language but this debate as its not just about how the new Dante speaks but your standpoint.

You say cursing makes his character worse yet opt to have him using curse words in more a creative manner(like Suda). That type of logic sounds very contradictory.

That would be me that took the attention off you trying to break the topic lol :p and then someone else saying about the swearing lol

As I said myself I do not mind a bit of swearing as long as it is used in a funny way and not too much. Granted I like the idea of changing one of the lines from "Aw come on!" to "Aw f*** this!" but the idea of "F*** you!" "F*** you!" "F******* YOOOOOUUUUU!!!!!!!" is old and boring.

To be fair, the guy tried REALLY hard to do so. It's like we don't even have mods anymore.

Agreed.....maybe they have all gone on holiday lol

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Can't Dante just have a troll moment and have a "f*ck you" battle with a 1200 year old demon?:/ Don't we all want that feeling of over shadowing and dominating people? Even Dante deserves to be childish every now and then. DMC4's Dante has been childish the entire DMC4 game, so I say this one deserves to have a troll moment too.

Zargus

Do you know how to install true FEAR?!
Premium
Can't Dante just have a troll moment and have a "f*ck you" battle with a 1200 year old demon?:/ Don't we all want that feeling of over shadowing and dominating people? Even Dante deserves to be childish every now and then. DMC4's Dante has been childish the entire DMC4 game, so I say this one deserves to have a troll moment too.

But troll moments are boring. Have been for years.

Kammosjuttu

:lol: This thread is kind of fun, haha. I myself don’t mind Dante cursing. Well, okay, if every other word he utters is “f***” then it could become annoying, but so far it seems that’s not the case. So I think he can use bad language if it makes him feel better. And I think the FU-battle between Dante and Poison was funny in its own way. Besides, Dante wasn’t childish enough to answer a second time “f*** you”. ;) Speaking of that, I don’t mind Dante being childish in this new game. He’s younger and more confused, sure he can act like a kid, too.

Railazel

Actually this validates my point that Dante and Spiderman are too different and cannot be compared equally. As you stated Dante grew up with torture and mistreatment; Spiderman grew up with love and support. Dante never experienced the pain of a loss(from what we know now) and Spiderman has.

But am I right?

It does make him worse of a character, I never said it didn't. I'm just saying that I'd prefer it if he did in a more creative way, like he did at the nightclub. (By the way, I never liked Suda's humor. It was always ridiculous to the point of just being exaggerated, but never really funny to me).

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
:lol: This thread is kind of fun, haha. I myself don’t mind Dante cursing. Well, okay, if every other word he utters is “f***” then it could become annoying, but so far it seems that’s not the case. So I think he can use bad language if it makes him feel better. And I think the FU-battle between Dante and Poison was funny in its own way. Besides, Dante wasn’t childish enough to answer a second time “f*** you”. ;) Speaking of that, I don’t mind Dante being childish in this new game. He’s younger and more confused, sure he can act like a kid, too.
He is still a kid.

somekidfromthe90's

But am I right?

wait about what? If you mean Dante cursing being "childish" or whatever, no, cause that's based on interpretation and i guess you can say that if it makes you feel nice. Honestly i think we lost what we were talking about. I was simply stating the difference between Dante and Spiderman at a psychological standpoint and how they cannot be compared equally. I guess you were showing a more detailed version of my thesis so...yeah.

I never intended to debate the Dante cursing being okay or what not, i merely determined where it was derived from. But what the hay i'll give it to you. You win.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
wait about what? If you mean Dante cursing being "childish" or whatever, no, cause that's based on interpretation and i guess you can say that if it makes you feel nice. Honestly i think we lost what we were talking about. I was simply stating the difference between Dante and Spiderman at a psychological standpoint and how they cannot be compared equally. I guess you were showing a more detailed version of my thesis so...yeah.

I never intended to debate the Dante cursing being okay or what not, i merely determined where it was derived from. But what the hay i'll give it to you. You win.
Oh no don't give up yet. I'm sure.......you can win or end it with a draw.

Railazel

um thanks for the support man. But again he kinda proved my point and i'm not willing to go into the actual cussing debate cause it's a circle.

Once again, someone falls into my trap.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I like penis jokes. They should do a penis joke.

Dante: "Hey Lilith. Guess what else big and long is about to shoved in you."
images

(His sword)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom