• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

F-bombs; What's the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Not really about the cursing itself, just the quality of it.

Griffon: "Are you the one who challenges the Darkness Mundus?"

Dante: "Flock off, Featherface! Or you'll learn the hard way!"

Does this sound like it was written by a child? No. Why? Because it made me feel pumped and ready to kick some feathered buttocks!

Dante: "This party's getting crazy! Let's rock."

Does sound like it was written by a child? No. Why? Because it made me feel pumped and ready to kick some skulls in!

Poison: "F*ck you!"
Dante: "F*ck you!"
Poison: "F********CCKKK YOOOOUUUU!"

Does this sound like it was written by a child? Yes. Why? Because they sound like a bunch of little kids.

Yes, I can.

Since when do little kids cuss like that? The first few sound more like something a bunch of kids would say though because kids can be corny. Those lines are pretty dated.

Railazel

Since when do little kids cuss like that?

Alot of kids cuss like that. Bad parenting and all. My little cousins cussed like that alot at one point.

The first few sound more like something a bunch of kids would say though because kids can be corny.

What kind of kids say stuff like "Flock off?"

Those lines are pretty dated.

"Flock off" is still a pretty common phrase actually. It's another way of saying "F*ck off."

Azurel

What? No way. I have never heard anyone actually say that. I'll take your word for it, though. You have no reason to be dishonest.

Personally, I think both sound corny.

Now, all I need is a Borat meme saying "Black off, Chocolateface!"

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Alot of kids cuss like that. Bad parenting and all. My little cousins cussed like that alot at one point.

That's one bad cousin. I got the same kind too.

What kind of kids say stuff like "Flock off?"

Kids who have hheard it from satrday morning cartoons,

"Flock off" is still a pretty common phrase actually. It's another way of saying "F*ck off."

So...a G-rated version of saying F*ck off. If that's the case, I don't see why they lowered Dante's vocabulary to a "G" rating.

Azurel

Whoops, sorry Railazel. But did you see the Borat movie? He was all like "I saw a genuine one! No makeup!" And don't get me started on Bruno. That movie made sure to offend everyone.

Either way, sorry. Totally out of line.

somekidfromthe90's

Well, you see, there's this guy in red and blue tights that can shoot out webs. You might have heard of him. Despite his life being in danger multiple times and yet not one cuss word comes out of his mouth. Yet, he somehow continues to be witty.

Here's the thing the guy in the red and blue tight's ,even though i am an avid fan, difficulties and background cannot be compared to Dante's. Am i saying one is more tragic than the other? no. BUT the background is extremely different. The spider dude is raised by his aunt and uncle after his parents die and faces difficulties in high school and later is bitten by a radioactive/genetically engineered/what-ever-else-you-wanna-call-it spider. And later swears to protect the people of his city after the death of his uncle that he blames himself for.

Now Dante, on the other hand, probably didn't know his mother and father. It's been confirmed he has been tortured, in orphanages and other institutes when he was growing up, by demons that only he (and a select few) can see. He also has to fend for himself since it seems that he doesn't know he has a brother and is labelled by the media and most people around him as a terrorist.

Now you might be asking yourself, "Why the balls is this douche telling me the history of these two?" well it's elementary my dear......Railazel....(sounded way better in my head). These two have different backgrounds and thus different views, tolerances, and attitudes. The red and blue tights dude...oh Spiderman there you go...is a normal guy whose life is transformed by being bitten by a spider. The incurring loss of his uncle and his following guilt is what drives him to be a hero and you know be responsible while at the same time allowing him to be this witty guy because the mask acts as another ego and really lets him loose. Dante is treated,presumably, badly (in light terms) at an early age and is treated like an outcast. He knows little about his parents and knows that he doesn't belong in this world, that he's the only one and that facilitates loneliness. Now these two factors contribute to his crude, lewd, and aggressive manner because he knows the demons are what caused all this to happen to him. Thus, confirming why Dante cursing is not a big deal.

somekidfromthe90's

That would be me.
23765820.jpg

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
the cursing in DmC is used to express emotion, if that is a problem to someone then i guess they don't have to buy the game now do they? if you're too sensitive to handle such language, then skip cutscenes or don't buy the game easy as that. the cursing is not abundant it only appears in situations that make sense and show strong emotion of some kind.

and btw "flock off featherface" sounds like something a 7 year old would say.

Azurel

In response to the cursing: I remember saying the exact same thing once. "You don't have to buy the game." And they said, "Oh don't worry, I won't. And that whole 'You don't have to buy the game,' argument doesn't make sense if you think about it."
How does it NOT make sense?? You don't like it, avoid it. Then they use the same argument on me later on, completely giving everyone else a double standard.

Derozio

Sexiness Personified.
Swearing used to bother me a lot once. But I don't care anymore. Maybe has to do with the fact that I, myself, swear once in a while. W/e.

Anyway, as far as swearing in DmC is concerned, I wouldn't really mind if it is done in moderate amounts and done when necessary. The three uses of the dreadful f word I've seen as of yet in DmC were alright, I guess.

1. He uses it in order to show off his hatred and disrespect to the demonic authority in general when he uppercuts the bouncer and writes FU instead of his name in there. Writing his name in there probably wouldn't have been..as effective as this scene seemed without it. But yeah, they didn't need to zoom in on the list after Dante wrote it. That felt a little off..somehow.

2. When he uses it with Poison - I liked it. It was funny. Maybe childish, yeah, but funny.

3. In the club - He used it in a way it felt legitimate. He was seriously ****ed off and it didn't feel forced.

By the way, Max Payne 3, a game which is heavily focused on its narrative and is considered a dark and serious game has a scene like this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG9A4tbHbbw
2:25 - 2:34. That made me cringe. :<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom