• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ebony & Ivory

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Seemingly, the guns holds some canonical value since Trish uses them in all of her appearances. Considering that they originally belonged to Sparda, how Trish could get them is a big question. An answer could be that Dante had them and gave them to her. If he had them, that would explain the similarity to his guns and Sparda's since he probably based Ebony & Ivory off of Luce & Ombra. Even moreso, this would explain why Dante likes using two guns since his father used two as well.
That could be a valid reason. I can go with that theory.

Railazel

That could be a valid reason. I can go with that theory.
This also adds another foil between Dante and Vergil since it was said in the DMC 4 novel that Sparda didn't like using guns. This seemingly has some justification since in all his demonic appearances, Sparda has never shown to be wielding a gun. So, this sort of adds some depth to Vergil and Dante's difference since seemingly Dante, taking from his father's human side that wielded guns, Dante sees guns as justifiable weaponry while Vergil, who takes from Sparda's demon side which didn't have guns, sees them as unnecessary and unhonorable.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
This also adds another foil between Dante and Vergil since it was said in the DMC 4 novel that Sparda didn't like using guns. This seemingly has some justification since in all his demonic appearances, Sparda has never shown to be wielding a gun. So, this sort of adds some depth to Vergil and Dante's difference since seemingly Dante, taking from his father's human side that wielded guns, Dante sees guns as justifiable weaponry while Vergil, who takes from Sparda's demon side which didn't have guns, sees them as unnecessary and unhonorable.
But why would Sparda in human form be alright with guns yet in demon form not alright with them? That doesn't make any sense.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Seemingly, the guns holds some canonical value since Trish uses them in all of her appearances. Considering that they originally belonged to Sparda, how Trish could get them is a big question. An answer could be that Dante had them and gave them to her. If he had them, that would explain the similarity to his guns and Sparda's since he probably based Ebony & Ivory off of Luce & Ombra. Even moreso, this would explain why Dante likes using two guns since his father used two as well.

why would Dante buy or make a pair of guns nearly identical to Luce & Ombra if he still had them? it would make a lot more sense to just use L&O and modify them to suit his style.

Railazel

why would Dante buy or make a pair of guns nearly identical to Luce & Ombra if he still had them? it would make a lot more sense to just use L&O and modify them to suit his style.

Because Luce & Ombra might not fit his style. That's like saying that if I like my father's taste in clothes, I would wear them, but my father wears a different size than me! XD

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Because Luce & Ombra might not fit his style. That's like saying that if I like my father's taste in clothes, I would wear them, but my father wears a different size than me! XD

Luce and Ombra are the same type of gun as Ebony and Ivory and E&I were made to look almost identical even in ways that don't affect anything. L&O already had some of the modifications Dante needed. it would have been a lot easier to modify L&O to suit his style than it would be to modify a new pair of the same type of gun including adding the same Darkness and Light theme and identical portraits of random Victorian women (at least probably random to Dante. Sparda probably knew who they were)

and if Dante just didn't want to use his fathers guns why would he make a pair that is almost identical instead of using his own unique weapons.

the existence of Luce and Ombra is a plot hole. not really a big one considering the rest of the story but still it doesn't really make sense. it get's even more confusing when you add in the "for Tony Redgrave by .45 Art Warks" inscription on both pairs of guns.

Railazel

Luce and Ombra are the same type of gun as Ebony and Ivory and E&I were made to look almost identical even in ways that don't affect anything. L&O already had some of the modifications Dante needed. it would have been a lot easier to modify L&O to suit his style than it would be to modify a new pair of the same type of gun including adding the same Darkness and Light theme and identical portraits of random Victorian women (at least probably random to Dante. Sparda probably knew who they were)

and if Dante just didn't want to use his fathers guns why would he make a pair that is almost identical instead of using his own unique weapons.

the existence of Luce and Ombra is a plot hole. not really a big one considering the rest of the story but still it doesn't really make sense. it get's even more confusing when you add in the "for Tony Redgrave by .45 Art Warks" inscription on both pairs of guns.

Ebony and Ivory probably have customizations that Luce and Ombra don't have. Its not like there's a full spec on the guns that'll give us exact details.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Ebony and Ivory probably have customizations that Luce and Ombra don't have. Its not like there's a full spec on the guns that'll give us exact details.

i know, i never said they didn't. my point is that it would have been easier to add the modifications Dante wanted to L&O (which were already modified to be useful against demons and to be used together so it would take less work to make them fit what he wanted ) than it would be to modify a completely new pair of guns (that would start with no modifications at all and require far more work to even be usable against demons.) to have everything Dante would need. L&O and E&I are the same type of gun so any modification that was done to one could be done to the other.

the only reason to start with a new pair of guns would be if he didn't have Luce and Ombra.

Railazel

i know, i never said they didn't. my point is that it would have been easier to add the modifications Dante wanted to L&O (which were already modified to be useful against demons and to be used together so it would take less work to make them fit what he wanted ) than it would be to modify a completely new pair of guns (that would start with no modifications at all and require far more work to even be usable against demons.) to have everything Dante would need. L&O and E&I are the same type of gun so any modification that was done to one could be done to the other.

the only reason to start with a new pair of guns would be if he didn't have Luce and Ombra.

Then why does Trish have them?

The similarity between the two isn't all that complicated if you assume that Dante has the Luce and Ombra but didn't use them. Why? Who knows, Dante does strange stuff. I mean what dude kicks his own door knowing that he's going to have pay for it later? What dude, knowing that he's in debt, takes only "special" jobs and never takes any normal ones? No one except Dante because Dante's Dante and he's awesome. Best to leave it at that.

But why would Sparda in human form be alright with guns yet in demon form not alright with them? That doesn't make any sense.

Personally, I don't think that he had a problem with guns, though I think its said in the DMC4 novel that he considered them dishonorable and seemingly this is one of those few facts that actually has some backing to it. I think its because he saw them as a necessity in Human Form because he didn't have his demonic powers (he sealed them 2000 years ago).

Top Bottom