• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ebony & Ivory

Vergillicious

You will not forget this devil's power!
Something that I never knew about them (Sparda's guns) is that Sparda had 2 lovers at one point one brunette(unknown and died a long time ago) and the other blond(Eva the mother of Dante and Vergil). And each gun represented them, black gun the brunette and the silver one Eva.

I always thought that Dante's guns were Sparda's? And also with Dante I see that Trish and Lady are his 2 lovers like his dad had lol (not the same ones of course).

Is this true or am I wrong?

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Something that I never knew about them (Sparda's guns) is that Sparda had 2 lovers at one point one brunette(unknown and died a long time ago) and the other blond(Eva the mother of Dante and Vergil). And each gun represented them.

I always thought that Dante's guns were Sparda's? And also with Dante I see that Trish and Lady are his 2 lovers like his dad had lol (not the same ones of course).

Is this true or am I wrong?
hmmm i've never heard of this before, that's interesting where did you hear this from?

Vergillicious

ive never heard of sparda having two lovers, but if so that could explain nero, and i never really viewed trish or lady as dante's lovers since they don't love each other lol

I don't know, I kind of see it. When Dante is with one of them at a time, not both at the same time. I saw it in DMC1 Dante really cared for Trish and had some sort of affection towards each other. As for Dante and Lady..they sort of had a bond in the library and at the part where Lady asked Dante if he was crying after Vergil had fallen. But maybe I am wrong.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
I don't know, I kind of see it. When Dante is with one of them at a time, not both at the same time. I saw it in DMC1 Dante really cared for Trish and had some sort of affection towards each other. As for Dante and Lady..they sort of had a bond in the library and at the part where Lady asked Dante if he was crying after Vergil had fallen. But maybe I am wrong.
well i do agree that dante cares deeply about trish and lady, especially in the moments you explained, but as a lover relationship i gotta disagree. :)

Vergillicious

Understandable ^^

ive never heard of sparda having two lovers, but if so that could explain nero, and i never really viewed trish or lady as dante's lovers since they don't love each other lol

Maybe that's how it was with Sparda, but ends up feeling so strongly for Eva, both sharing that one moment that would change their lives forever.

hmmm i've never heard of this before, that's interesting where did you hear this from?

He said that he read it in the novel and that it might have said something about it in the anime..but was also told some of these things. So he said that it maybe bullshit.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
When I first unlocked the Legendary Dark Knight costume in the first Devil May Cry and noticed how Sparda had Luce & Ombra I thought that Ebony & Ivory were the same guns re-designed by Dante. Or that these guns didn't even exist and were added to the Sparda costume to suit gameplay. After all the similarity is quite obvious and Luce & Ombra do look like an earlier type of gun in comparison to Ebony & Ivory.

Luce & Ombra
Luce_%26_ombra.jpg

Ebony & Ivory
Dante_Ebony&Ivory.jpg

If that was true, we could just assume, that these two ladies in the guns (which are the same ones in both L & O and E & I) are people only Sparda knew, and Dante just kept them in his version of the guns as well, because he either knows them as well (from Sparda or Eva) or just because he thought they looked cool.

However there was always the matter of Trish using Luce & Ombra, alongside Dante. In the first picture of Trish ever, she holds the guns. And continues to use them in games like Viewtiful Joe and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. She even uses them when you play with her as an secret character in Devil May Cry 2. I always thought she had them because it was necessary for the gameplay and they were bored to use new guns since they had already made them, but then in the anime and Devil May Cry 4, Trish used Luce & Ombra alongside Dante (who of course had Ebony & Ivory) making their existance official, and destroying any theory that suggested that Ebony & Ivory were actually Luce & Ombra redesigned by Dante.

Trish in DMC1
10908-467075-20090504083604.jpg

Trish in Viewtiful Joe
Devil.May.Cry.469870.jpg

Trish in UMvsC3
detail.jpg

Trish in DMC2
Trish in the Anime
trish-double-gun.jpg

And finally Trish at DMC4
Therefore the only plausible theory I can think of is that Dante designed his guns after Sparda's. I have no idea who the women are. Both weapons use ergonomic wood grips which are inlaid with portraits of Victorian women; as befits their names, Ebony's is dark-haired, and Ivory's is fair-haired. I'm guessing there's no real story behind this, just a nice add to the guns' badass-ness or some kind of an easter egg the creators added. Like the " For Tony Redgrave. By .45 Art Warks" engravement which is a reference to the first Devil May Cry Novel, even though it isn't considered canon anymore. It doesn't mean anything, it's just there. Though interesting-ly enough Dante admitted in having used the alias Tony in the past (in the anime) making things even more confusing, so who knows.

It would be awesome to get a story a canon story about Tony Redgrave, Luce and Ombra and everything concerning the guns actually. Though with how things are going now *cough*reboot*cough* I'm not too optimistic about it. Only time will tell.

Good idea though, the thing that each of the gun represents someone Sparda might have known.

Selutu

Son of Death, Bringer of the dead
well i do agree that dante cares deeply about trish and lady, especially in the moments you explained, but as a lover relationship i gotta disagree. :)
It might be possible, but until it is confirmed I'll always think of them as close friends and comrades.

Vergillicious

When I first unlocked the Legendary Dark Knight costume in the first Devil May Cry and noticed how Sparda had Luce & Ombra I thought that Ebony & Ivory were the same guns re-designed by Dante. Or that these guns didn't even exist and were added to the Sparda costume to suit gameplay. After all the similarity is quite obvious and Luce & Ombra do look like an earlier type of gun in comparison to Ebony & Ivory.

Luce & Ombra
Luce_%26_ombra.jpg

Ebony & Ivory
Dante_Ebony&Ivory.jpg

If that was true, we could just assume, that these two ladies in the guns (which are the same ones in both L & O and E & I) are people only Sparda knew, and Dante just kept them in his version of the guns as well, because he either knows them as well (from Sparda or Eva) or just because he thought they looked cool.

However there was always the matter of Trish using Luce & Ombra, alongside Dante. In the first picture of Trish ever, she holds the guns. And continues to use them in games like Viewtiful Joe and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. She even uses them when you play with her as an secret character in Devil May Cry 2. I always thought she had them because it was necessary for the gameplay and they were bored to use new guns since they had already made them, but then in the anime and Devil May Cry 4, Trish used Luce & Ombra alongside Dante (who of course had Ebony & Ivory) making their existance official, and destroying any theory that suggested that Ebony & Ivory were actually Luce & Ombra redesigned by Dante.

Trish in DMC1
10908-467075-20090504083604.jpg

Trish in Viewtiful Joe
Devil.May.Cry.469870.jpg

Trish in UMvsC3
detail.jpg

Trish in DMC2
Trish in the Anime
trish-double-gun.jpg

And finally Trish at DMC4
Therefore the only plausible theory I can think of is that Dante designed his guns after Sparda's. I have no idea who the women are. Both weapons use ergonomic wood grips which are inlaid with portraits of Victorian women; as befits their names, Ebony's is dark-haired, and Ivory's is fair-haired. I'm guessing there's no real story behind this, just a nice add to the guns' badass-ness or some kind of an easter egg the creators added. Like the " For Tony Redgrave. By .45 Art Warks" engravement which is a reference to the first Devil May Cry Novel, even though it isn't considered canon anymore. It doesn't mean anything, it's just there. Though interesting-ly enough Dante admitted in having used the alias Tony in the past (in the anime) making things even more confusing, so who knows.

It would be awesome to get a story a canon story about Tony Redgrave, Luce and Ombra and everything concerning the guns actually. Though with how things are going now *cough*reboot*cough* I'm not too optimistic about it. Only time will tell.

Good idea though, the thing that each of the gun represents someone Sparda might have known.

Hahaha oops, sorry about the blank post there ^^

Thank you for your input that was very fascinating :) I never knew that's what Sparda's guns were called. And apparently Trish doesn't use the guns in UMVC3, she shoots lightening out of her hands. Thank you again for summoning things up for me.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Tony_Redgrave [/quote]

Reading your big post taught me so much about Ebony, Ivory, Luca, and Ombra and for that I thank you! I've always loved Dante's guns and you made some interesting points. Plus it's great to see Ebony & Ivory up close!! ^_^

As for the thread itself I don't think Sparda had another lady besides Eva. But if he did it would explain Nero. Paradox!!

Railazel

Don't you guys remember? Sparda sacrificed the blood of a mortal priestess when he rebelled and sealed up Temen- ni- Gru. The names of the guns don't really matter, but the potrait on Ombra is of Eva and the one of Luce is of another woman who I assume is the priestess.

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
Don't you guys remember? Sparda sacrificed the blood of a mortal priestess when he rebelled and sealed up Temen- ni- Gru. The names of the guns don't really matter, but the potrait on Ombra is of Eva and the one of Luce is of another woman who I assume is the priestess.
that explains why Arkham said Sparda sacrificed the woman he loved...remember? right before Lady capped'im n shed her last tears?

Railazel

that explains why Arkham said Sparda sacrificed the woman he loved...remember? right before Lady capped'im n shed her last tears?
Actually, the exact qoute is: "What have I done wrong!? Even the heroic Sparda sacrificed a woman so that he could become a legend!" He didn't mention that Sparda loved her, though that it is a possibility.

Oh dude, look at this!
DMC_Graphic_Edition_Sparda_Family.jpg

That is the woman in Luce and Ivory!

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
Actually, the exact qoute is: "What have I done wrong!? Even the heroic Sparda sacrificed a woman so that he could become a legend!" He didn't mention that Sparda loved her, though that it is a possibility.

Oh dude, look at this!
DMC_Graphic_Edition_Sparda_Family.jpg

That is the woman in Luce and Ivory!
I was mistaken...some Record Keeper I am... >.<

ps. saw dat before...ewwww Sparda... :p
The mortal priestess was Lady's ancestor
Yup :D finally someone pays attention

Railazel

The mortal priestess was Lady's ancestor
Haven't you ever wondered how a teenage girl could learning to accurately reload her gun in mid- air, hoister a missile launcher on her back, ride and control a motorcycle like Evil Knievel, climb a 100- ft tower without getting tired, and showoff acrobatics like she just came from a circus? Come on, her bio in the game described her as "weak." Weak!? If that's weak then I must be freakin' worm! She has to have some demon blood in her. (Note: I know this isn't true, but I would like to believe so).

Top Bottom