• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does anyone LIKE DMC2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Isn't the gameplay in all original DMC games the same?
Sword attacks, long ranged attacks and a devil trigger.
If I'm honest, I haven't played it in a long time

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I also don't like Nero. But I asked you to elaborate on the gameplay part. not the story part.

For me it's not just gameplay that's important. It's all around feel of the character, and I just didn't like the feel of Nero or Dante. When I don't like the feel, personality, and attire of a character, i don't want to play as them.

Dante47

Essentially. As it's progressed, it's gotten more complex and diverse.
But yes, that would be the basic fundamentals of all the games in the series.

Terrutas

If I'm honest, I haven't played it in a long time
Just to make it clear. I'm not mad or anything.

But that's a pretty bland view in my opinion seeing as the original series and alot of depth to the combat system.
And actually,You could blow through DMC2 using guns only so I've heard so it's not really the same. Just worse in my opinion.

But if you don't like it it's your personal view and I respect that.

8BitHero

Scrub
If I look at DMC2 as a stand alone game, it's really not that bad. nice graphics, decent voice acting, nice controls and a lot to the combat. If I look at it as part of the series, it's still not that bad. I played DMC1 and then right on to DMC2. Since DMC1 was pretty EEEEHHH to being with, the improvement upon story telling and combat was a part of the game I liked. Yeah the story sucked but it kept referencing back to it with cutscenes to keep you interested.
The combat improved too. You can see they were trying to be stylish and still finding DMCs identity and DMC2 was a step towards style. Jumping with guns, then Jumping again with guns would initiate rainfall which would then become DMC3 and 4s Gunslinger.
It's hard to fault DMC2 when DMC1 was so crap to begin with. Seriously, play DMC1 again, it lacks in so many areas it's not even funny. I enjoyed it still. Dante was taken out of a Square-enix book of character design and emotion but Dante hadn't really been established yet.DMC1 he's cheesy as hell, DMC2 he's Square-enix as heaven. It's not until DMC3 we get that he's supposed to be cocky and rude.
I'm also not going to go like on DMC1 since it's the first in the series since this game came out after games like Majoras Mask, Metal Gear Solid 1 and FFVI. There's not excuse for how lame DMC1 was.

2 had a pretty good atmosphere, Lucia's Devil Trigger and that's it really. Gameplay was slow and clunky and I had to always double check if I was playing on hard or not. Guns were too overpowered, you could avoid using them sure, but then that means you'll have to wait 2 years for Dante to swing his sword and do a 'combo' oh yeah that's what 2 lacked variety in combat. 1 was pretty lacking with moves, but the one's you're limited too you could atleast use them all if you wanted too in a nice smooth combo, you could go from air lifting to the a million stab flawlessy, In DMC2's case you're watching the same animation over and over again with Dante and Lucia in 2. It doesn't even make up for it by giving the swords a satisfying sound when hitting an enemy.

3 and 4 are on a whole new level with combination variety and weapon switching Everything was useful, style and weapon switching on the fly while trying to aim for that SSS rank was satisfying. Even with Nero there were tons of options for him to make him not seem like a boring repetitive character. There's really no reason to go back to 2. It's lacking what a DMC game is meant to be a challenging experience that encourages players to be as SSStylish as they possibly can using whatever they can. It rewards you for mixing things up a bit, this is evident the second you start playing, or if you're still not convinced go watch a truestyle tournament video.

I'll even go as far to say DmC is more of a Devil May Cry game than DMC2 is.
If you like it, more power to you, but some things which I've heard like "DMC2 has better combat than DMC3 and DMC4" is just plain wrong.

snausages

I can understand people taking a shine to something like DmC. I can see why people would like the style of that game. But anyone who thinks that DMC2 isn't the worst piece of **** in the series is pretty much an idiot. The game's combat is floaty and imprecise. The environments blur together into a kind of greyish-brown muck and are devoid of any kind of creativity. The music is rubbish. The sound effects are ass. The bosses are terrible. The guns are absurdly overpowered and melee weapons are stupidly inneffective. The game doesn't tell you how to do certain combos and you can't even cancel combos to evade. Like DMC4, you can clearly see that it was a victim of tight budgeting and deadlines but at least DMC4 had awesome combat. DMC2 has nothing. The whole thing is such a mess so I can't take someone seriously when they say that DMC2 was a better game than 3 or 4.

edit: And anyone trying to argue that DMC1 was 'eehhh' to begin with is clearly just playing devil's advocate for the sake of it, no pun intended.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I like 2 it may not be my favorite but I'm glad for what it gave us and I will from time to time play it. But I absolutely hate it when people say that 2 is the worst thing ever. It may be the worst DMC game but its an average hack n slash

8BitHero

Scrub
edit: And anyone trying to argue that DMC1 was 'eehhh' to begin with is clearly just playing devil's advocate for the sake of it, no pun intended.
That would be me and it's not devils advocate. Honestly, DMC1 just wasnt that good. The combat hadn't evolved so therefore Dante was limited. The voice acting was bland as hell. The character movements were stiff and the story was almost non-existent. It's honestly a meh game. There is no excuse for bad story telling/voice acting for a game coming out after games like Metal Gear Solid. Because it wasn't anything amazing, I had low standards for DMC2 which is why it didn't feel as offensive as everyone made it out to be.

snausages

The combat hadn't 'evolved'? Evolved beyond what? DMC pretty much redefined the modern action game. There really was nothing like it at the time. Yes, it's practically arthritic by modern standards but judging a 2001 release by the standards of 2013 is anachronistic. DMC was incredible. It's not my favourite game in the series but I'll gladly admit it as the best.

As for story and stuff, I believe I mentioned this in another topic but DMC never needed a strong story to be one of the best action games of its time. That was not why it received so much acclaim. MGS had terrible voice-acting btw.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I didn't like it...I loved it. Actually, I still love it. Even though the voice acting is horrendous, I think it's better than DMC1. Not as good as the ones after it, but I digress....

Do all games need to be like Metal Gear Solid now with their story telling? I didn't know that was the standard now? As far as I'm concerned all you need is an objective Mundus is doing bad things, he's going to open a portal on mallet island that will release more demons into the world!, Dante go stop him before he does this.

There, that's all Dante needed, was an objective, it wasn't even trying to shove the story down your throat either.

Simple isn't bad.
No one was expecting games like Mega man to be like Metal Gear Solid, game had an objective, Wily is doing bad things again for the 10th time Mega man, go stop him!

And I'd rather take DMC's simple combat over DMC2's which is in fact not all that advanced, Jump cancelling and slash canceling is almost non existant, Shot gun jumping? You can forget that. Wall running doesn't make the game any more advanced either. No one used it hardly because you had no need for it in a slow game like DMC2.

8BitHero

Scrub
The combat hadn't 'evolved'? Evolved beyond what? DMC pretty much redefined the modern action game. There really was nothing like it at the time. Yes, it's practically arthritic by modern standards but judging a 2001 release by the standards of 2013 is anachronistic. DMC was incredible. It's not my favourite game in the series but I'll gladly admit it as the best.

As for story and stuff, I believe I mentioned this in another topic but DMC never needed a strong story to be one of the best action games of its time. That was not why it received so much acclaim. MGS had terrible voice-acting btw.
But that's the thing. I'm not judging DMC1 by modern standards and never have done. I've judged by what else was out before DMC1. So the combat was under developed. It wasn't any special or what we haven't seen before with games like: Soul Reaver. There was nothing in DMC1 that redefined the action genre from that game alone.

Again, coming out after games like MGS, RE, Final Fantasy 1-6, there is no excuse for how bad the story/voice acting is. The game starts out promising, and for the rest of the game, you're just jumping from mission to mission with ZERO story elements. You find Trish again at 12 missions on and then she disappears again. I don't understand how anyone can praise the story when there is none.

Trish tells you to follow her
Nothing for 12 missions
She randomly appears at the end of the Nelo Angelo fight(who is also never explained but we have to encounter 3 times).
Then you find she's working for Mundus. But you never actually bond with the character so you can't trust her to begin with. ESPECIALLY when she bursts through Dantes shop on HIS bike, launches his on sword at him and shoots him and HE'S SURPRISED that she betrayed him later on?
It's just sad because the game starts out extremely well.

What story is there? I don't understand praising a game that breaks game design 101. DMC1 isn't bad but way overrated.

Do all games need to be like Metal Gear Solid now with their story telling? I didn't know that was the standard now? As far as I'm concerned all you need is an objective Mundus is doing bad things, he's going to open a portal on mallet island that will release more demons into the world!, Dante go stop him before he does this.
No but so many consider the story to be good, when it's really under developed. That's what I liked about DMC2, they took the story more seriously with the use of cutscenes and the characters interacting with each other. DMC1 has none of that yet the story is good?

Simple isn't bad.
No one was expecting games like Mega man to be like Metal Gear Solid, game had an objective, Wily is doing bad things again for the 10th time Mega man, go stop him!

And I'd rather take DMC's simple combat over DMC2's which is in fact not all that advanced, Jump cancelling and slash canceling is almost non existant, Shot gun jumping? You can forget that. Wall running doesn't make the game any more advanced either. No one used it hardly because you had no need for it in a slow game like DMC2.
DMC2 wasn't advanced but you could see how they trying to make it more stylish. Jumping with guns, then jumping again and shooting would become known as the trickster style later on. There aren't many instances of improved combat but it was a step up(in some areas)

The story isn't anything to write home about, but like I said you don't need a 'deep' story just to explain a simple goal. Everything was explained when Trish first met Dante, he had an objective now go beat mundus and his crazy henchmen along the way. I don't get why this is so offensive.

Devil May Cry is an action game with a strong emphasis on combat. Not a Visual Novel or a cinematic experience.

8BitHero

Scrub
The story isn't anything to write home about, but like I said you don't need a 'deep' story just to explain a simple goal. Everything was explained when Trish first met Dante, he had an objective now go beat mundus and his crazy henchmen along the way. I don't get why this is so offensive.

Devil May Cry is an action game with a strong emphasis on combat. Not a Visual Novel or a cinematic experience.
It's not that it's offensive. I just don't understand where the praise of DMCs rich story comes from when the game clearly doesn't care or focus about the story. That's what I would say is a good point about DMC2. They use cutscenes to keep the player linked the story.
I wasn't bored at all while playing DMC1 it just didn't make me feel like I cared much once I completed it. With a game like DMC3 they did EVERYTHING right. They give you the character interactions, the give you story related cutscenes, they explain character backgrounds with some pretty decent dialogue and the story was straight forward yet involving.
But since DMC1 just wasn't anything amazing with story or combat, DMC2 didn't feel like an insult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom