• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does anyone hate this Dante ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Back to Dante.
It doesn't really bother me about the whole Dante not showing emotions thing.
I mean i bought DevilMayCry not Final Fantasy.
Dante is a take charge get the job done kick ass character, i paid for action not a love story where he's weeping in a hankie.
Him smiling, joking around, laughing was enough for me.
He was there to slay demons not cry for a lost girlfriend.

Harshness... I take it you dislike Nero?

Chibi Dante

Keepin' it Stylish!
Premium
Oh if anyone here knows me, they know my undying hatred for DMC4 Dante.

So here's why I hate him;

This Dante was suppose to be the Dante that recently defeated the satan of the DMC uneverse, and after that, he was mature and was cool, while still using one liners. (Interesting ones at that) Then the anime comes and it makes sense why he seems bored and stuff because no demon is that big of a challenge anymore.

But then we get to DMC4

All he does in DMC4 is kill demons, and talk so much Sh*t. There's not even a real reason for him to be there besides getting his swords back. Nero could handle everything else, but Capcom decided to make Nero seem weak by trapping him in that "Vagina heart" prison and Dante to save him. Nero is way stronger then that, but Capcom just HAD to get dante to look like the hero. Plus Dante wasn't even trying with some of these demons. There's no struggle, no real change in character, he wasn't even trying hard with Nero at all. I know he's supose to be strong, but I just expected a bit more from him. Plus DMC4 was targeted to female fans so Dante getting beat up a bit would make fangirls think he's not cool I guess.

His clothes were attrotious and just really over-exaggerated in western fashion. He ended up looking real corny and just became the sterotypical anime character who dresses in belt buckled to the ass clothes. And the chaps, Oh God, the chaps. Just...no Dante.

His personality was just a parody to his DMC3 self and I expected better. Here he was in DMC3 being a hot headed smack talking guy, then he matures and becomec cool and well rounded with respect for demons he defeats, and now he's this clown parody of his younger self? How does that match up?

The only thing I did like of DMC4 Dante was that he had good gameplay, and he looked good facial wise and body wise. But when he opens his mouth, I just want to do this.
Funny how people decide to lush out their hate for DMC4 Dante after DmC. Doesn't make ANY sense to see New Dante supporters bashing DMC4 Dante when New Dante is just a bad copy of him. Don't you realize that when you bash DMC4 Dante, you're bashing ALL the Dante's? Because that's what DMC4 Dante is. A combination of ALL the Dante's.

"All he does in DMC4 is kill demons"
Isn't that his job? Because he's a demon slayer? LOL. And mind you, Dante is known for talking ****. He loves to taunt his enemies, and is carefree. It's who he is. Nothing phases him.

>Dante is the main protagonist of the DMC series
>"There's not even a real reason for him to be there"
>LOL NIGGER WUT

The thing is, Nero COULDN'T handle everything else by himself. You're pretty much implying that he's stronger than Dante. He's not on Dante's level. Dante by the time of DMC4 had already surpassed Sparda. Someone who surpassed the Legendary Dark Knight in terms of power wouldn't struggle AT ALL. NOTHING could get in his way. Also, if it wasn't for Dante, Nero would've never known about Sanctus' TRUE intentions! All this time, Nero had been part of an order that worshipped an evil priest. If Nero had known, do you think he would've attacked Dante like an animal? No. Dante is just as important as Nero was in the story. I like Nero, but for me, the main protagonist of DMC will ALWAYS be Dante. Not some punk. Also, how the hell did Capcom make Nero seem weak when they gave him the Devil Bringer, and also had him pummeling the **** out of Dante? Although Dante was going easy on the kid, he underestimated his abilities. That's what got him impaled. Nero was never depicted to be weak. But if Nero was oh so strong, he would've destroyed the Savior at first sight. OH WAIT! Kyrie was held captive. How would he be able to save her? Nero got absorbed by the Savior FOR A REASON. Not to make it seem like he was weak. A story focusing on two badass protagonists is better than a story focusing on just one IMO. The more the merrier.

"No real change in character"
Why change something that isn't broken?

And where did you hear that DMC4 was targeted towards fan girls?

His outfit was merely a combination of ALL the Dante's clothing/accessories. The fingerless gloves = DMC3, The rolled up sleeves = DMC1, The belt buckles/Vest = DMC2, and everything else was just new accessories. Even if his clothes were 'over-exaggerated', isn't that the point considering DMC and Dante were meant to be OVER-THE-TOP?

Dante wasn't bored in the DMC anime. He was mellowed out. Trish, the light shining on Dante's life, left, forcing him to go solo once again. Lady appeared often times too, but only to offer jobs or take money from him. It's like Dante had no real company. But by the end of the anime, Trish, Lady, Patty, and Morrison became supporters. Dante let those four drive his will to live, and to him, he had a lot of friends. Nothing was going to bring him down. Also, Dante just defeated ANOTHER Demon King. So that's two demon emperors in a row that he defeated. Mundus, his mother's murderer, and Abigail. He has EVERY RIGHT to return to his old cocky self. How would that make YOU feel? Hell, I'd feel pretty accomplished. If you defeated the Prince of Darkness, OF COURSE you aren't going to show struggle for any future encounters with demons. Every demon in DMC4 was outclassed by Dante.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Funny how people decide to lush out their hate for DMC4 Dante after DmC. Doesn't make ANY sense to see New Dante supporters bashing DMC4 Dante when New Dante is just a bad copy of him. Don't you realize that when you bash DMC4 Dante, you're bashing ALL the Dante's? Because that's what DMC4 Dante is. A combination of ALL the Dante's.

No. I've hated DMC4 Dante long before DmC came into light.

"All he does in DMC4 is kill demons"
Isn't that his job? Because he's a demon slayer? LOL. And mind you, Dante is known for talking ****. He loves to taunt his enemies, and is carefree. It's who he is. Nothing phases him.

In DMC1, he was more then that. He didn't just talk ****, he was cool about his smack talk while still keeping a rather mature tone to his character. With DMC1 Dante, he was cool and was able to keep a maturity with his coolness. DMC2 was stoic and there fore was a darker more serious version of him. DMC3 was cocky and hotheaded, but that's cause he was young and new to the game. Like a cocky rapper new to the rap game; he doesn't understand everything, but later matures.

But DMC4 Dante doesn't even change from how he was in DMC3. It's like he threw his coolness out the window and that was that. Like he learned nothing from DMC1.

>Dante is the main protagonist of the DMC series
>"There's not even a real reason for him to be there"
>LOL NIGGER WUT

Where'd that come from?:/

The thing is, Nero COULDN'T handle everything else by himself. You're pretty much implying that he's stronger than Dante. He's not on Dante's level. Dante by the time of DMC4 had already surpassed Sparda. Someone who surpassed the Legendary Dark Knight in terms of power wouldn't struggle AT ALL. NOTHING could get in his way.

I didn't say stronger. I meant Nero is Dante's age in DMC3. Look how DMC3 Dante handled things, and was able to get out of any situation no matter what. All because he has Sparda's blood in him. Nero should have the same abilities because he's a descendant of Sparda and should obviously be just as powerful as Dante was in DMC3.

Also, if it wasn't for Dante, Nero would've never known about Sanctus' TRUE intentions! All this time, Nero had been worshipping an order lead by an evil priest. If Nero had known, do you think he would've attacked Dante like an animal? No. Dante is just as important as Nero was in the story.

Nero never worshiped the ways of Fortuna. He believed worshiping the thing that was wiping the city out was wrong and therefore wasn't for it. Also, Nero would have figured it all out at some point. He's not some little kid. Also, Dante wasn't as big in the story as he was in the past DMC games. Compared to DMC4, Dante was just fan service in this game.

I like Nero, but for me, the main protagonist of DMC will ALWAYS be Dante. Not some punk. Also, how the hell did Capcom make Nero seem weak when they gave him the Devil Bringer, and also had him pummeling the **** out of Dante? Although Dante was going easy on the kid, he underestimated his abilities. That's what got him impaled. Nero was never depicted to be weak.

All I'm saying is that for him to be a descendant of Sparda and not be able to do most of the things DMC3 Dante did seems rather weak on his part.

But if Nero was oh so strong, he would've destroyed the Savior at first sight. OH WAIT! Kyrie was held captive. How would he be able to save her? Nero got absorbed by the Savior FOR A REASON. Not to make it seem like he was weak. A story focusing on two badass protagonists is better than a story focusing on just one IMO. The more the merrier.

He HAD to get absorbed? He couldn't have just broken into the Savior and get her?

"No real change in character"
Why change something that isn't broken?

It's just my personal preference on his character.

And where did you hear that DMC4 was targeted towards fan girls?

This interview

Hiroyuki Kobayashi: Devil May Cry 4 Was Made to Appeal to Women Gamers

Posted by Sakinah Samara on Jul 14, 2010 in PS3News | 5 comments
The staff that worked on Devil May Cry 4 is currently hard at work on Capcom’s upcoming hack-and-slash for the PS3 and Wii, Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes.
During an interview with Siliconera , producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi revealed that, like Sengoku Basara, which has quite the female following in Japan, Devil May Cry 4 was developed with female gamers in mind.
hk.jpg
S: It’s quite amazing that the Basara series, an action game series with a bunch of male leads, is so well received by both genders. It seems like companies are trying to figure out how to appeal to women, but are resorting to gender stereotyped games instead.

HK:I took similar steps while making Devil May Cry 4 as well. The first thing was to take away things girls don’t like, things that are disgusting and violent graphics or events. Also, big, buff, macho guys. There are girls that like that, but most girls like a realistic nice, sweet guy.
If we made someone like the Hulk, a big overly muscular guy, girls probably won’t be into that. If you take that character and tone him down a bit, make him more of a smart type, that little difference can change the perception of how females receive that character.
S:As a personal opinion, do you feel this is cross cultural or something just for Japan?
HK:With the characters we tested in Devil May Cry 4 the responses were very good. There wasn’t anyone saying ‘oh we wish you had this type of character’ and nobody said ‘oh we really wish you didn’t have this kind of character’. We were able to take the response fromDevil May Cry 4 to fine tune the characters for this game.
http://thesilentchief.com/2010/07/1...may-cry-4-was-made-to-appeal-to-women-gamers/

His outfit was merely a combination of ALL the Dante's clothing/accessories. The fingerless gloves = DMC3, The rolled up sleeves = DMC1, The belt buckles/Vest = DMC2, and everything else was just new accessories. Even if his clothes were 'over-exaggerated', isn't that the point considering DMC and Dante were meant to be OVER-THE-TOP?

Sometimes putting everything together doesn't make it great. Plus, Like I said, It's just my personal preference.

Dante wasn't bored in the DMC anime. He was mellowed out. Trish, the light shining on Dante's life, left, forcing him to go solo once again. Lady appeared often times too, but only to offer jobs or take money. It's like Dante had no real company. But by the end of the anime, Trish, Lady, Patty, and Morrison became supporters. Dante let those four drive his will to live, and to him, he had a lot of friends. Nothing was going to bring him down. Also, Dante just defeated ANOTHER Demon King. So that's two demon emperors in a row that he defeated. Mundus, his mother's murderer, and Abigail.

Well I just think since he defeated a demon prince that stood over Abigail's seal, nothing was a challenge to him, and therefore it's like being level 100 while the enemies are still at level 4; Overkill. Thus, it gets boring with no challenge. Every now and then it's fun but still...no real challenge anymore.

He has EVERY RIGHT to return to his old cocky self. How would that make YOU feel? Hell, I'd feel pretty accomplished. If you defeated the Prince of Darkness, OF COURSE you aren't going to show struggle for any future encounters with demons. Every demon in DMC4 was outclassed by Dante.

If it were me, I wouldn't be a douchebag about everything. I'd probably act like DMC2 Dante if it were me. Stoic, and professional. But that's just me, not Dante.

DragonMaster2010

Then Dante as a character would be very dull & boring lol.
I liked Dante from DevilMayCry 2 as well, quiet, claim & straight to the point. But then he would be pretty much like every male character in an action game, a white haired gorilla that kills stuff. Not much to him.

Yeah I know.

He asked "what would I do" so I think I'd be like that.

Dante would still be cool though.

Britt690

Gabriel Reyes needs to eat me.
Stealing it ? lol If her name is on it then she has nothing to worry over. The giant watermark makes it seem like that website owns it.
Back to Dante.
It doesn't really bother me about the whole Dante not showing emotions thing.
I mean i bought DevilMayCry not Final Fantasy.
Dante is a take charge get the job done kick ass character, i paid for action not a love story where he's weeping in a hankie.
Him smiling, joking around, laughing was enough for me.
He was there to slay demons not cry for a lost girlfriend.
Oh that "emotions" award is automatically given to Nero for that one, lol:D . But yeah, Dante came to be a personal favorite of mind b/c he was the first game character that blew me away with how chill he was about everything. At first I played games like GTA, Perfect Dark, the old Resident Evils, Spongebob (DON"T JUDGE :lol:) the Mario series and their character portrayals were leaning on the serious-ish side. Then I get ahold of Dante and he's just a radical departure from the other game char. that I've played and...yeah. He got me hooked real bad w/ how carefree his demeanor is. Of course he still has his dark side with who he is and what happened to his mom and Vergil not being that much of a help/being on his own so young (I really would like it if Capcom gave us this information in like a really expressive cutscene/game/some other form [not in DmC. They're stripping away the other versions of him and trying to give him this fresh new start and I'm...*sigh*]..that would be deep), but he takes his experiences in stride.

DragonMaster2010

In short, Dante was powerful but he didn't take himself seriously & saw the lighter side of things.
Life is short even his, so why not enjoy every moment.

True, but every now and then he's gotta feel some kind of sadness. I mean he can't kill them all, and humans are dropping like flies by the very thing he is everyday. At some point that can hit you pretty hard. But I'm sure Dante's been able to move on and do his best.

Britt690

Gabriel Reyes needs to eat me.
In short, Dante was powerful but he didn't take himself seriously & saw the lighter side of things.
Life is short even his, so why not enjoy every moment.
Exactly. I respect anyone who can look at the lighter side of things when there's so much darkness around them.

DragonMaster2010

Of course he does, he feels every bit of it, but standing still & brooding gets you nowhere but feeling sorry for them, for yourself & pushes everyone away.
He can't save them all but the ones he does save makes a difference to them.
There's no reason to live in a morbid past full of regret when he can look towards a bright future full of hope.

Sniff

sniff

That...was...beautiful...
slow-clap-gif.gif
Audience-clapping.gif

Grey-Frog

This is probably my least favorite Dante... but I still like him. And overall it makes sense he's as crazy and happy-go-lucky as he is here. He personally doesn't really have much at stake; no one he cares about seems to be in any real danger. Not to mention he's more or less written as a god in DMC4 so if worse came to worse I'm sure he could have cleaned up the entire mess if he had felt it necessary.

I would have liked him more if he did have more range in DMC4; characters shouldn't dwell on negative things or get depressed for long periods of time. But seeing a character at their lowest, dealing with hardships often makes them more human and make their other traits all the more special. I mean, we're not talking about my friend Dante who's depressed and needs to get over it and look at the bright side of life. We're talking about a fictional character; and fictional characters should be written with some range. This is about as harsh as I get; but a character who's written as always being cocky, happy-go-lucky and never has to struggle would be more at home in a cartoon aimed at children than a video game aimed at adults.

Even DMC3 which still had a crazy Dante had a few moments where you got to see him worried or serious. He doesn't stay serious for more than a scene or two usually; but in those few minutes we get a larger idea of who Dante really is; why is he so cocky and what he's been through.

But at the same time; in DMC3 he was fighting his only remaining family and questioning both who he was and what his purpose is. In DMC4 this is all largely a non-issue. Dante knows who he is and what his life is about; this is more of Nero's story of discovery and hardships. It does make this Dante a weaker character to me because of it; but I understand that Dante didn't really need to re-hash these things again.

Edit: One thing I failed to bring up but I think is also worth mentioning, is how I know that a lot of people hate this Dante because how he acts can be confusing. At the end of DMC3 he had matured a lot, and he was entirely different in DMC1. DMC4 should technically have him acting like he was in DMC1, but instead he more crazy and over the top in 4 than he was at any point in 3. It's never bothered me personally because like a lot of fans I just view each Dante as their own separate character for the most part; but as someone who's favorite Dante was in DMC1 I do understand why anything that undermines that Dante's existence would be hated.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Thing is, Dante deals with stress and tragedy by first laughing it with snark and snide comments before he eventually just starts brooding as it hits home. So DMC4 is just him laughing at a funeral, he cant take what he is seeing so he downplays it with humor. Acting non-seriously is how he deals with difficult things.

problem is i had to figure this out on my own since the story doesnt actually explain anything ever.

Age of Nero

The End is the Beginning is the End!
Compared to cutscense I've seen in DMC 3 & 4 (& one where Trish dies but comes back- an older one), I'm not as fond of Dante's personality in 4, but he's still amazing. The reason is that he seems more arrogant than in the older ones.

TheNoHeartedBeing

In DMC 1 Dante's main purpose was to kill Mundus. He knew Mundus was the real deal. He knew Mundus had some power but in dmc 4 it was just some random guy wanting Sparda's power. You guys see the difference. In DMC 4 Dante had already beaten Mundus so the savior was nothing to him. Also one of the reasons why Dante was a little more mature and what not in dmc 1 was because he was trying to get his revenge on Mundus for killing his mom. In dmc 4 he has no problems. Hes just chilling. Let the man chill.

TheNoHeartedBeing

Even if there is nothing left to stop Dante, there is absolutely no excuse for THIS!!!
Thats the best cut scene in the game. Just like i said. Dante has nothing to do. Every boss every enemy he could have killed in one hit. Hes surpassed his father Sparda by a long shot. Hes the ultimate being.

Dante47

Thats the best cut scene in the game. Just like i said. Dante has nothing to do. Every boss every enemy he could have killed in one hit. Hes surpassed his father Sparda by a long shot. Hes the ultimate being.
Still, you'd have to be really bored with your life to act like a child.

If he's become an ultimate being, I would've preferred a story arc where Dante becomes corrupted.
Think about it, it could be great.

After defeating Mundus, Dante goes mad with his new found powers, similar to that of Vergil.
When being challenged by the Order of the Sword's, a group who solely focuses on keeping Sparda's name in good graces, Dante attacks their leader.

Unbeknownst to Dante, a young man named Nero is a part of this group.
Nero, you could say, joined the Order of the Sword's purely out of curiosity to know more about demons, since he is aware of his demonic abilities, but does not know there origins.

Ultimately, the game could have been a fight for The Order's survival between Dante and Nero where the player controls Nero on a personal journey to understand who he is, while having relationship problems with Kyrie, and the ultimate fate of the world during his fight with Dante.
Not only that, he could also be deciding his how to use his power and how to master it. But not just mastering it, but learning to use it at the right times and when necessary, unlike his family of Dante and Vergil.

Now... I just came up with that in five minutes, and I feel like it's better than DMC4's plot already. What do you think?

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
DMC4's "uncle dante" persona is probably one of my favorites out of the series. While he doesn't have any character defining moments like he does in DMC3, he's still pretty awesome. He's got the batshit charisma of DMC3, but reigned in so it doesn't get obnoxious (DMC3 dante could overdo it sometimes). He gave me the impression of someone who was mature, but not afraid to dick around and have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom