• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do you like QTE's?

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Nope, the day QTEs no longer exist will be a great day for gaming.

Unfortunately as long as Telltale and David Cage exist they're not going anywhere. -_-

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
You know, there once was a game that implemented QTE's into actual gameplay...

What was it called again?

Oh right --

-- Arkham Asylum.

I am The Night.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
What I had meant to say was:

"AA's combat mechanics look just like QTE's, only without actually being QTE's themselves."

Maxman

well it depends, a game like God Hand can get the QTEs done RIGHT or a game like Spider-Man 3 can go OVERBOARD and throw QTEs at your face one after another and make you feel like "GEDAMMIT JUST STOP THE TORTURE ALREADY"

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
If QTE implemented into gameplay well I don't mind it. Much worse I find gameplay that basically demands nothing out of you but press same buttons over and over without risk of getting hit or loose.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Nope, the day QTEs no longer exist will be a great day for gaming.

Unfortunately as long as Telltale and David Cage exist they're not going anywhere. -_-
Don't compare TellTale to David Cage. TellTale is actually good and TellTale also crafts more of point and click adventure games while David Cage just makes sh!tty Twilight Zone episodes with button prompts.

I would also call something like TellTale's games an exception. While I am not a fan of QTEs, I could tolerate the occasional OTE in something like their Walking Dead game, but not in all games. I don't want to play things like Resident Evil 6 or God of War.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Don't compare TellTale to David Cage. TellTale is actually good and TellTale also crafts more of point and click adventure games while David Cage just makes sh!tty Twilight Zone episodes with button prompts.

I would also call something like TellTale's games an exception. While I am not a fan of QTEs, I could tolerate the occasional OTE in something like their Walking Dead game, but not in all games. I don't want to play things like Resident Evil 6 or God of War.
I'm not comparing, even though I'm not a huge fan of the P&C genre, Telltale still dominates Cage's garbage in every way, however no matter which way you look at it, both of them use QTEs, it would be damn good if Telltale could evolve their games to have a stronger focus on gameplay along with their talents in story telling, but since their cutscene and QTE focused games are getting the acclaim, we're suck with these damned QTEs.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Sometimes games can get QTEs right. Bayonetta 1 and 2's QTEs seem to add to the gameplay, creating some cool finishers to follow up to your regular attacks. And they aren't compulsory. MGR had pretty decent QTEs as well, as they mainly functioned like cutscenes. At least it wasn't terrible like RE5 or 6's QTEs. Sometimes I really don't understand it: you'd have this character who's running away from something - which he/she does on his own power - but then suddenly you need to 'press x to jump'? Dafuq? Not only is that counterintuitive, it also takes your attention away from whatever's happening on the screen.

I completely agree with VampireWicked's points - it's a nice summary of what's wrong with QTEs nowadays.

Dark Drakan

Admin
If done right I dont mind them, even enjoyed entire games based around them (Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us/Ryse, even Shenmue had quite a few) so long as rest of game hold up then I dont mind them.

ToriJ

I don't mind them in point and click adventure games since they feel more at home there, but I hate how they've become a recent staple in the majority of action games I've played.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
I don't like QTEs at all. They take your eyes away from the main action and force you to look for 'press X to badass' prompt to appear on screen, while at the same time taking control away from you.

However, there are exceptions according to me. In games like Batman series and Sleeping Dogs, QTEs are implemented very well. I don't know if I make any sense while I say this, but they have QTEs without actually being QTEs. It is so much refreshing to take a bad guy by his collar and smack his head by a car's door until the windows break (yeah, Sleeping Dogs).
For another examples, Nero's carnage/buster/super-damaging moves on bosses with his devil arm, Death execute moves in Darksiders 2.

One can argue that QTEs I'm talking about are more like "finishers", but I think this is the best to implement QTEs, if at all there's a need for QTEs.

The Final Offer

Personally....I don't give a damn. They only bother me when I'm seeing the same animations over and over again.

*I'd love some variety when I'm killing something with a different weapon than before.
*I'd love it if my character knew more than one move to finish a foe.
*I'd love it if the game only depended on it as a "Last Chance to survive* type of thing. (Shadows of Mordor)

If you're familiar with QTEs then you're more than likely aware of my problem. QTEs don't seem to have any idea that you're using a weapon that you want to see. QTEs have a knack for switching your weapon when it's activated. This is a immersion problem for me and it also causes me to think about the many ways my favored weapon could've done it.

Ninja Gaiden 2 has it where you can defeat the same boss with a different weapon animation for a finisher. For example: I was using the Vigoorian flails the entire fight up until the final blow. I switch to another weapon in my arsenal to dish out the final blow and switching to it registers. I'm actually using the giant sword in the cutscene to kill my enemy.

What games need to stop doing is showing the prompts. They need to outline the obstacle or whatever is annoying your character with a reaction color. Not a button prompt color, an cutscene YOU CAN DO SOMETHING HERE action outline or slow motion effect. So, if you want to attack while your enemy is attacking in this cutscene then press the attack button, if you want to dodge while your enemy is dodging then use the dodge button, etc...

All of your face buttons and shoulder buttons have an command and whichever you wanna choose could lead you into either more reaction cutscenes, a defeat scene, or a succeed scene. I hope you are following me here. The outline is not going to glow blue like the X on the Dualshock controller, it's going to have this subtle flicker and it'd be up to you to respond however you see fit. Of course, this increases the difficulty for some players.

Last edited:
Top Bottom