• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do u think capcom should make movies?

Do u want capcom to make main stream movies?

• Yes , That would be great.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No, They will be better with games than movies.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • I dont care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aoshi

I believe capcom should get into movies as the market finds movies appealing than games. Ofcourse we dont want gaming team on hold which will never happen. But capcom games have inspired movies. So why not capcom themselves create one? I bet they can increase their revenue and utilise funds for new games.

So please vote your choices and reason?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I chose no. If it's anything like EVERY OTHER game-to-movie translation, they'll screw something up, big time. Capcom should do what they do best, and that's making games.

Zato-OW

King
aoshi;205948 said:
I believe capcom should get into movies as the market finds movies appealing than games. Ofcourse we dont want gaming team on hold which will never happen. But capcom games have inspired movies. So why not capcom themselves create one? I bet they can increase their revenue and utilise funds for new games.

So please vote your choices and reason?

Capcom is already a billion dollar company. They can create what ever game they wish. But they should just stay away from movies for the simple fact they suck at story telling and they have always sucked at it.

Meg

I really don't want to see them making movies. Even if it wasn't movies based on games they should just stick to games. And yeah, they can't write good story lines.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
The only gmae-making company that does good movies is currently SE.[Once Tecmo did a fantastic NG OVA,back in the early 90's.]But,no.Capcom is like Konami.Their Best games are like B-movies or even A-movies.

Romero

Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
I voted no because I think they should do what they do best. It would be a too big gamble for them to start making movies.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Well... they're a game company with knowledge in games, some of their series I've enjoyed a lot over the years. They should stick to games where they have a solid niche in the market and decades of successful experience. If they switched focus to film they'll be at the bottom of the heap, so to speak, and wouldn't be able to compete with Hollywood or come up with the budget for a stream of good films. I mean they made Degeneration recently, right? That was basically a fan film, IMO... the effects and CG was all right, but as a film it lacked real substance or originality naturally, was catering to a narrow audience and never got a cinema release, obv. The total revenue from the film was $8 million or something like that, but was it really worth the time and effort for them in business terms? If they're going to make films I think (personally) they should make films of their games. Rather than these spin-off type films with familiar characters but a weak or similar-to-game-but-not plot. Just adapt the game into a film and keep it as close as possible to the original game story and script. Degeneration should have just been a movie of Resident Evil 2, if you ask me. Then I'd have bought it!

The one-off movie here and there is probably fine, though and won't hurt their finances too much or divert too much energy from their games. I haven't found many game company films much good, though... Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within springs to mind as well, and Advent Children. Very nice to look at but I doubt I'll want to watch them again.

aoshi

I find characterisation in games to be very scarce and capcom have been successful in early 2-D games with characters such as ryu,akuma,ken. They have created anime's in the genre.Why not movies? Any other production company(cough...hollywood...cough) might not give justice that characters deserve. But a film on great characters such as ryu,dant or vergil could not be very hard to edit.Anyways that was my 2 cents.

Thanks clairavance for voting yes.

@Zato: If i should remember correctly, DMC 3 special edition was to raise funds for DMC 4. Movies are still main-stream entertainment to games as audience relates to movies just as animes. Why not a live action movies? Revenue could be an added advantage.

Zato-OW

King
aoshi;206170 said:
I find characterisation in games to be very scarce and capcom have been successful in early 2-D games with characters such as ryu,akuma,ken. They have created anime's in the genre.Why not movies? Any other production company(cough...hollywood...cough) might not give justice that characters deserve. But a film on great characters such as ryu,dant or vergil could not be very hard to edit.Anyways that was my 2 cents.

Thanks clairavance for voting yes.

@Zato: If i should remember correctly, DMC 3 special edition was to raise funds for DMC 4. Movies are still main-stream entertainment to games as audience relates to movies just as animes. Why not a live action movies? Revenue could be an added advantage.

Probably because I rather play it then just watch it. They just suck at this kind of thing. I mean they can make great games but they always fall short in story and they milk stuff to death. Capcom isn't the same Capcom anymore anyway. They are not in a FPS era which they seem to be moving to and focusing more on.

Keaton

Premium
While Capcom make some great games, they should stay well away from movies!
Square-Enix on the other hand *dreams* or Bioware *oooh* ...wait, stop torturing yourself Keaton! lol

Anyway, Capcom should focus on getting their games perfect -- bring on DMC5, not Devil May Cry - The Live Action Mooovie.

Sparda™

One thing most people tend to forget that game-to-movie live-action adaptions will NEVER FOLLOW the game/franchise storyline, for the simple fact It cannot be translated the same way us fans comprehend even the slightest of its details.

Thus, they put an alternative direction, borrowing elements and names from the game/franchise.

I like the movies, because It's nice to see a 'What If?' route made as a movie. Plus, It's the only way the game/franchise could be adapted as a live-action film.

As for the question, there is already a Resident Evil film quadrilogy, with RE: Afterlife (RE4), being released on September 10th this year.

Capcom just needs to let their character and franchise rights to the film studios and add supervisors so the scripts can satisfy as much as they can the fans.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sparda™;206426 said:
One thing most people tend to forget that game-to-movie live-action adaptions will NEVER FOLLOW the game/franchise storyline, for the simple fact It cannot be translated the same way us fans comprehend even the slightest of its details.

As for the question, there is already a Resident Evil film quadrilogy, with RE: Afterlife (RE4), being released on September 10th this year.

Yeah, if they do make a movie, let it be CGI with the mocap actors and original VA's that helped create the games. You CAN'T go wrong with that. Live-action could work but they stand the risk of losing a great multitude of fans if they don't do it right. I mean if movies such as The Matrix can be made, a Devil May Cry movie CAN be made, with style! And if they can use graphics to turn an old and mouldy Brad Pitt into a young heartthrob Pitt in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, then they sure as pie can make the actors for Dante and Vergil look the part!

And I'm looking forward to the next RE movie. I'm hoping this will be their redemption of the previous one, which totally sucked boring cliche if you ask me.

DeviRyuuD

Devilicious Devi
No they shouldn`t. That RE CG movie was`nt all that good, actually, nobody but fans watched it, most likely. So no.

Sparda™

clairavance;206525 said:
Yeah, if they do make a movie, let it be CGI with the mocap actors and original VA's that helped create the games. You CAN'T go wrong with that. Live-action could work but they stand the risk of losing a great multitude of fans if they don't do it right. I mean if movies such as The Matrix can be made, a Devil May Cry movie CAN be made, with style! And if they can use graphics to turn an old and mouldy Brad Pitt into a young heartthrob Pitt in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, then they sure as pie can make the actors for Dante and Vergil look the part!

And I'm looking forward to the next RE movie. I'm hoping this will be their redemption of the previous one, which totally sucked boring cliche if you ask me.

CGI has proven to suck, so no. For mass audience, go live-action. Brings plenty of cash and augments interest.

Resident Evil lost 0 fans when the movies were made. On the contrary, more people became fans of the series because of that.

IMO, Brad Pitt is the worst choice for Dante/Vergil.

Johnny Depp, Christian Bale for Dante and Vergil respectively.

Zato-OW

King
I agree with a CGI because it will do it justice. Being able to use the VA's from the games would be very nice. Also the characters looking exactly like the characters from the games is a nice add too. Some people are in to that hollywood stuff but I rather see a CGI then a live-action film. They make live-action films out of a lot of series now and they all end up sucking imo. They are even redoing Spider-Man as we speak which I think is way too early. Anyway, they didn't get it right in the anime and c'mon it was a anime. You know how much more creative you can be with animation. So you just know they will fail in a live-action movie of this series. The cut-scene director of DMC3/4 is also a popular movie director so he should be in charge of directing the CGI so everything will be DMCish.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sparda™;206594 said:
CGI has proven to suck, so no. For mass audience, go live-action. Brings plenty of cash and augments interest.

Resident Evil lost 0 fans when the movies were made. On the contrary, more people became fans of the series because of that.

IMO, Brad Pitt is the worst choice for Dante/Vergil.

Johnny Depp, Christian Bale for Dante and Vergil respectively.

CGI rocks, what are you on about? Final Fantasy Advent Children ring a bell? That movie was sick, and it gained me as a fan of the series (I just had to find out why the hell they were going around screaming 'mother' all over the place, LOL)

Resident Evil probably did lose a few fans. You can't state that it lost 0 fans, unless you can prove that this is a fact and a survey has been done. I like the movies, but that didn't make me a fan of the games. I still haven't picked up any of the games, and I won't either. I'm a fan of the MOVIE, not the game, and since there was big hoohaa about the movie not being exactly like the game...meh, not interested, thanks.

And WHUT? I didn't mention Brad Pitt as a potential candidate for the role of Dante/Vergil. WTF? NEVER! Ugh! The point I was making was what developers can do with technology nowadays. I NEVER said Brad Pitt should play the twins.o_O

And anyway...Reuben Langdon and Dan Southworth for Dante & Vergil, respectively ;)

Sparda™

Resident Evil Degeneration was a CGI movie which followed the storyline. Was thought to bring lots of attention, but only fans watched It.

Capcom is a multi-billion company which wants to augment those billions as much and with any means possible.

They tried CGI, so they won't make that same mistake again. Live-action please.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Are you speaking in the companies best interest or are you speaking what you actually WANT to see? I for one thought the CGI movie was great. Why all the hate?

Top Bottom