• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC4 retrospective by Foxcade

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Seperating the campaigns from the start would avoided some of the issues the game faced but using a different lead from Dante would have always been an uphill challenge.

A way around that would be to use a character people already know and like vergil/lady/trish/sparda and eva etc.

Nero is a mixed bag for me. I don't mind a new main character but I'm not sure he was the right person for the job because on the surface he feels so Dante-lite it made me wish we had another young Dante game.

@windleopard
Him being a Sherlock-esque detective would have worked better in story because it gives a new dynamic to the team but I'm not sure it would translate well to game mechanics (maybe his smarts pop up when you solve puzzles?) (maybe nero has more tactical weaponry like a bowstaff or a rapier or a tonfa?)

BlackAngel

I enjoyed the gameplay on DMC4 but when it comes to the plot and character development as concerned, it's a disaster.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Honestly i don't think 4 is that bad a story. If you were to rank the stories in DMC, it be #3 on the list behind the 3rd game and the reboot. The bottom of the list is the anime and 2.

Plus it could be worse. We could have had as big a mess like NG3.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Honestly i don't think 4 is that bad a story. If you were to rank the stories in DMC, it be #3 on the list behind the 3rd game and the reboot. The bottom of the list is the anime and 2.

Damn son, you deem DMC1's so bad/barebones to not include it on the list when even DMC2 is? XD

BlackAngel

Plus it could be worse. We could have had as big a mess like NG3.
A kid crying out his girlfriend's name like numerous times, Nero is nothing but a "discount Dante", over-the-top, childish cutscenes, and no character growth and development for us as players to care for them. Yeah, what a great story. The only valuable the devs have for the series is the combat gameplay, while they just say screw the story and characters. Just make them flashy and over melodramatic.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
A kid crying out his girlfriend's name like numerous times, Nero is nothing but a "discount Dante", over-the-top, childish cutscenes, and no character growth and development for us as players to care for them. Yeah, what a great story. The only valuable the devs have for the series is the combat gameplay, while they just say screw the story and characters. Just make them flashy and over melodramatic.
I'm not arguing that 4 is some secret masterpiece, I'm just saying its not as bad as it could've been. Hack and slash games weren't really known for it's storytelling until recently and DMC was one of the good ones.

Trust me, it could've been worse, like Ninja Gaiden 3 level bad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I'm not arguing that 4 is some secret masterpiece, I'm just saying its not as bad as it could've been. Hack and slash games weren't really known for it's storytelling until recently and DMC was one of the good ones.

Agreed. Could have been better, could have been worse, but I still love the story. Despite its issues. I find DmC & the anime's story way worse than 4.

BlackAngel

The stories of God of War series, proves otherwise.

Top Bottom