• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC3 Retconned DMC1? I Wanna Know

Did DMC3 retcon DMC1?

• Yes, DMC3 retconned DMC1.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • No, DMC3 is the proper prequel to DMC1.

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
What a lot of people fail to realize is that in DMC1, Dante and Vergil had not seen each other since they were eight. Vergil had disappeared since that age, and only resurfaced when Dante was 28. That's why in DMC1 Dante has a flashback of him and Vergil as kids fighting over a piece of chocolate. Trish also said Dante had lost his brother to evil twenty years ago. Since he was 28 in DMC1, that means he lost Vergil at age 8.

DMC3 retconned it by making Dante and Vergil meet on the Temen-Ni-Gru at age 19. There Dante even said ''it's been a year since we last met''. So yeah, DMC3 was a retcon. That said, you could simply explain the flashback in DMC1 as 'one of Dante's fondest memories' of Vergil, and that they had indeed met when they were 18/19. Trish wouldn't have known about his meeting with Vergil on the Temen-Ni-Gru, because she didn't exist yet in DMC3.

Kamiya said it was his most important memory.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/statuses/360298360252534785

you see this as a retcon and not a character development?

Yes

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
It's insanely stupid.

He never once shows any interest in avenging her. Unlike 3, Dante in the first book cared alot about his mother, she was basically his motivation.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Thanks!

But now that I think about it, I suppose you could explain all the things mentioned as plot holes. Like I said in my previous post, Dante's flashback in DMC1 could just be a flashback to his fondest memories of Vergil, because that's how he wants to remember him. Trish wouldn't have known about D&V's meeting on the tower because she hadn't been created yet.

The Yamato not existing in DMC1 can be explained by saying that after Vergil was enslaved by Mundus (after the battle in DMC3), the Yamato was lost. Nero Angelo probably wouldn't have any use for it, since he already had a shiny zweihänder. Anyway, the Yamato was then found in DMC4 by the Order of the Sword, possibly because Trish found it and gave it to them as Gloria.
I don't think it's possible for Trish to be culprit, since Yamato was in Order enough time for them to complete their experiments and researches.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I don't think it's possible for Trish to be culprit, since Yamato was in Order enough time for them to complete their experiments and researches.
True, I do think somebody (maybe Credo) also said she had only been with them a short while.
I suppose Agnus may have simply found it by using a demon. Who knows, maybe he used those hellhounds (Basilisks) for it.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
It's insanely stupid.

He never once shows any interest in avenging her. Unlike 3, Dante in the first book cared alot about his mother, she was basically his motivation.
so not showing an interest is the same as not having it?

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Yes, Him being deeply messed up by his mom's death is the entire reason he started his business. In 3, he seems to not care and needs someone to get him to care. A r
etcon would be

Dante's past
Vergil not brainwashed

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Yes, Him being deeply messed up by his mom's death is the entire reason he started his business. In 3, he seems to not care and needs someone to get him to care. A r
etcon would be

Dante's past
Vergil not brainwashed
In DMC1, an exact clone of dante's mother crashes through his door, electrocutes him, sets his shop on fire, and then reminds him that his real mother is dead. Dante's biggest reaction for all of this is a little gasp and a glance at the picture on his desk, and then he snaps back to being all wooden and cheesy.

That's dante's mother, standing in dante's room, talking about dante's mother's death, to dante. If this is the biggest reaction we got, I don't think a retcon was at all necessary to explain dante not constantly bringing up his mother in DMC3 when nobody so much as mentions eva to him.

Also, nowhere in DMC1 is it said that vergil was already brainwashed by mundus when he was young. The exact wording was that vergil was "lost to evil", and considering he's pretty clearly evil when he makes his appearance in DMC3, no retcon was necessary here, either. At best that's exploiting a choice of words, but a retcon?

You really don't even know what a retcon is, do you?

Top Bottom