• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC vs. Revengeance | 6 Years Later

DarkSlayerVergil

I'm curious how Revengeance would have fared against 5. I would have to put my anti nero feelings aside and concede 5 is the better entry gameplaywise. Story is another matter entirely.

Speaking of 4, I tend to see it and the reboot as two sides of the same coin. I guess it depends on which set of cliches you like more : shonen anime or Hollywood? ;).
Can we have both but I guess DMC5 is that right?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I'm curious how Revengeance would have fared against 5. I would have to put my anti nero feelings aside and concede 5 is the better entry gameplaywise. Story is another matter entirely.

Speaking of 4, I tend to see it and the reboot as two sides of the same coin. I guess it depends on which set of cliches you like more : shonen anime or Hollywood? ;).

In this case, shounen.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
That is not even a question, IMO. Of course it is.
How can you say dmc 5 is better than rising if they had two completely different type of gameplay?

I can say that dmc 5 is more redefined in term of gameplay pace than rising but other than that they are two completely different game whit two different gameplay who focuse on different part of hack and slash

Jack500

How can you say dmc 5 is better than rising if they had two completely different type of gameplay?

I can say that dmc 5 is more redefined in term of gameplay pace than rising but other than that they are two completely different game whit two different gameplay who focuse on different part of hack and slash
Personally i think MGR is the better game, or at the very least i enjoyed it more. MRG i played through multiple times, while DMC 5 i played through once, and haven't played it since

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Shonen anime (DMC4) and Hollywood (DmC) mixed into one.
3 did that as well. I preferred Dante to Nero because Dante reminded me of characters i was gravitating towards while Nero didn't.

Nero was just bad timing and the lackluster story and the boring anime didn't help.

4 and the anime made me more ok with the reboot than everyone else. So i find it funny that the reboot made everybody else like nero better.

Not me tho :sneaky:

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
The moment where he made the God of war 4 rant when the trailer first premiered in 2016, he was going to do a review regardless of request or not.
There's some odd logic, if ever. Sure, I believe he'd make a video about it, eventually, but I take the guy at his word that he says he did it so near the release of the game (as oppose to whenever he would eventually get to it) because he got inundated with comments about how wrong he was and that he had to play it to be proven so than some scheme where he just said those things back then as a publicity stunt of some kind to get more views when he released the video he was planning to make of the game he was claiming he wasn't going to play but in reality he was.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
There's some odd logic, if ever. Sure, I believe he'd make a video about it, eventually, but I take the guy at his word that he says he did it so near the release of the game (as oppose to whenever he would eventually get to it) because he got inundated with comments about how wrong he was and that he had to play it to be proven so than some scheme where he just said those things back then as a publicity stunt of some kind to get more views when he released the video he was planning to make of the game he was claiming he wasn't going to play but in reality he was.

If he felt pressured into doing the review, that is on him. GB could have gave himself some time, but his opinions wouldn't change much. He sure took his sweet time putting out the DMC5 review, but that is a game he enjoys and found hard to put down.

And the logic I give is not odd, as I've seen this type of moment on YouTube before. Some user will make a video why they don't/might not like a game or next istalllment, and either they double down of their hatred or end up enjoying the game. I've seen a thousand times before, so what GB did ain't new, and comes across as another loud mouth know-it-all.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I've seen a thousand times before, so what GB did ain't new, and comes across as another loud mouth know-it-all.
So have we all but that's not an automatic 'it's all the same.' What would the appropriate response to a lot of people screaming 'we told you so' be? Yeah, you could say nothing, let them go on, or respond. His channel is opinion based and he is both more articulate and more entertaining than most so his point strikes well. I tend to believe the guy because I've never seen any sort of underhandedness from him. If he wanted views above all he knows exactly the kind of content he could make rather than analyzing PS1 RE games.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

I consider any type of gameplay padded with prompted QTEs like MGR's worse than a free flow system like DMC's. Same thing with dial combos (MGR) versus single move chaining (DMC).

Vergil95

I consider any type of gameplay padded with prompted QTEs like MGR's worse than a free flow system like DMC's. Same thing with dial combos (MGR) versus single move chaining (DMC).
But they are two different type of gameplay, resident evil 4 was one of the best game in history and had qte and they were fantastic, it's neither better nore worse its just different... But it's just personale taste

I personally think that dmc 5 is better than rising in term of graphics, fast paced gameplay and flow, but that is obvious since it came out 6 years later...

But for the rest they are completely different

It's like compering resident evil 2 whit outlast, yeah they are two horror game but they are completely different in term of gameplay

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
But they are two different type of gameplay

Yes, but being different and being worse aren't mutually exclusive things. A plate of manure is different from a plate of pasta but one is clearly better than the other as well.

But it's just personale taste

Hence why I said "IMO". I personally will always prefer the freedom DMC gives over QTEs and dial combos.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
So have we all but that's not an automatic 'it's all the same.' What would the appropriate response to a lot of people screaming 'we told you so' be? Yeah, you could say nothing, let them go on, or respond. His channel is opinion based and he is both more articulate and more entertaining than most so his point strikes well. I tend to believe the guy because I've never seen any sort of underhandedness from him. If he wanted views above all he knows exactly the kind of content he could make rather than analyzing PS1 RE games.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion based channel. Hell, that's a lot of YT gaming channels. My problems is when you start acting like jerk off. And yes, he usually articulate his stuff well, but I find that to be less and less. Now he is not the worst on YT, and there are plenty of others far worse, but that does not excuse some of the crap he pulls. Like I said before, when his Ascension review comes out, if he start's just insulting GoW4 fans out of the gate, I stop the video and unsubscribe. No if and buts.

Vergil95

Yes, but being different and being worse aren't mutually exclusive things. A plate of manure is different from a plate of pasta but one is clearly better than the other as well.

Hence why I said "IMO". I personally will always prefer the freedom DMC gives over QTEs and dial combos.
That's a preference
If I had two pizza, a Margherita and a 4 formaggi I would prefer the 4 formaggi but its a preference Dosent mean the Margherita is worse or bad... They are pizza but they are made whit two completely different ingredient

I personally think that both game are good and rising had some gameplay mechanic that dmc will never have, so those dmc 5 have some mechanic that the other dose t have... The Zab datsu is unique but I can't say that dmc 5 is worse becauze it dosent apply Zan datsu or dismembering during game

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I think we can all agree that both games used dynamic music very effectively. Rising gets some extra credit for having at least multiple styles of dynamic music based on location, if enemies are aware of you, and tempo change/lyrics kicking during phases in a boss fight,

Vergil95

I think we can all agree that both games used dynamic music very effectively. Rising gets some extra credit for having at least multiple styles of dynamic music based on location, if enemies are aware of you, and tempo change/lyrics kicking during phases in a boss fight,
Like every metal gear game, rising maintain this

Top Bottom