• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Sales so far

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
The franchise was done for if not for DmC since the people who made Devil May Cry 2, 3 and 4 didn't want to do it any longer. Without Itsuno and Kobayashi leading the helm; without Bingo writing; without Shibata composing; and without the original programmers, art directors, etc... Devil May Cry 5 would have essentially been a reboot anyway since it would have been nothing like the original Devil May Cry nor the three sequels that came after it.

Not necessarily. There have been examples (albeit rare) of IPs being taken over to entirely new development teams who preserved the original style and intent of the series while still elevating it to new heights. Legacy of Kain comes to mind; when Blood Omen went gold, Eidos insisted on moving the development to a new studio who could take the existing universe and make a game to compete with Tomb Raider, thus putting development on to Crystal Dynamics. It even parallels DmC by virtue of having one of the original developers involved: Amy Hennig in the case of Blood Omen, and Hideaki Itsuno in the case of DmC.

The difference is that Capcom insisted on drastically dumbing down the gameplay and "westernizing" the storyline, and NT were only too willing to comply. While Soul Reaver endeavored to bring new life to the world of Nosgoth, expand on it's horizons and provide divergent gameplay that couldn't have been possible in Blood Omen, DmC is...well, it's DmC.

You might say that Soul Reaver was lightning in a bottle, but I think it proves that with guidance a new development team can richly improve upon an existing franchise.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
The difference is that Capcom insisted on drastically dumbing down the gameplay and "westernizing" the storyline, and NT were only too willing to comply.

After having brought concepts of what was essentially DMC5 to capcom and Capcom rejecting it out of hand, stating "why are we hiring you to just make the same game we would?" I love how you like to gloss over that fact

Kishido

Hunter
Well after seeing Vergil's Downfall cliffhanger ending... I'm even more curious if Capcom will accept this really bad sales (And this is a fact) but still don't give up on this reboot

As I mentioned some times already... The only hope for it...

Either they will "blame" NT and will do it on their own or they give it to someone else as Platinum games who will continue the story while going back to the roots with some elements and designs

But seriously I still feel so bad for NT... I know they have uses some strange words in the PR... But the game is well done and they weren't the one who decided this reboot after all... Somehow they always get the bad side... All their games have gotten good reviews but sold as ****...

Terrutas

Well after seeing Vergil's Downfall cliffhanger ending... I'm even more curious if Capcom will accept this really bad sales (And this is a fact) but still don't give up on this reboot

Either they will "blame" NT and will do it on their own or they give it to someone else as Platinum games who will continue the story while going back to the roots with some elements and designs

But seriously I still feel so bad for NT... I know they have uses some strange words in the PR... But the game is well done and they weren't the one who decided this reboot after all... Somehow they always get the bad side... All their games have gotten good reviews but sold as ****...
I doubt they'll use Platinum Games,seeing as they took most of their talent and split away. successfully.

Remember,Pride over all!
Well,if all the games got good reviews and sold like crap,doesn't that play in bad in your logic? Maybe gaming journalism doesn't need to be taken so...seriously?

And it is kind of NT's fault. They made some poor design choices,infact most of the good in the game is thanks to Itsuno.

Kishido

Hunter
Well to each on their own... I liked their designs and all. But that shouldn't be the topic... I just find it immature how people bash NT and even more Tam for a job they had to do on Capcom's order

On the other point. Yeah it is unlikely with Platinum but there are others... it was just an example (and a wish)... But this while scenario right now will be very interesting...

And yeah pride and all... But someone you have to leave your pride aside for a better good... I bet it would be an instant win for Capcom, P* and of course us fans

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
And it is kind of NT's fault. They made some poor design choices,infact most of the good in the game is thanks to Itsuno.

People seem to like piling more praise on Itsuno than he probably deserves...more "blame the messager/guys hired, not the supervisor" for issues?

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
After having brought concepts of what was essentially DMC5 to capcom and Capcom rejecting it out of hand, stating "why are we hiring you to just make the same game we would?" I love how you like to gloss over that fact

The difference is that Capcom insisted on drastically dumbing down the gameplay and "westernizing" the storyline, and NT were only too willing to comply.

Learn to read. Both parties are culpable. Capcom offered a rusty scalpel, NT stabbed Devil May Cry in the eye with it.

People seem to like piling more praise on Itsuno than he probably deserves...more "blame the messager/guys hired, not the supervisor" for issues?

Yeah, it's almost as if Itsuno and his team made the combat system while NT handled the aesthetics, script and general execution, and said combat team had to make the gameplay to the specifications of a bunch of clowns who've never made a decent fighting game in their lives. Thus no taunt, thus overpowered techniques by design, thus glitches all over the place.

Not only that, but thanks to the aesthetic side of things we got a game which failed to capture an adequate new audience, alienated the lion's share of it's prior fanbase, and drastically underperformed in sales.

It's almost an exact repeat of what they did to Journey to the West.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
And another to the does not exist list for not listening to anything that does infact, break down their "arguements." Enjoy Limbo.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
And another to the does not exist list for being so bull headed they won't listen to anything that does infact, break down their "arguements.

This guy...I rank RD as one of the better ones, but those posts weren't really a counter argument. Simply saying "Itsuno is culpable too!" doesn't exonerate anyone; it just makes the entire production staff look incompetent instead of everyone but his team.

"NT had ideas of their own to continue the continuity, but Capcom shot them down!" Perhaps, although keep in mind we only have a PR spin to rely on for this information, and NT has a reputation for insulting anyone they can to make themselves look good:

http://spong.com/article/22616/UPDATED-Ninja-Theory-Uncharted-2-Animation-Was-Overdone

Even if it is so, it doesn't exonerate NT of the flaws in the product they made. Even if you don't share my perspective for how contemptible this game is, the sales statistics show that NT was given an objective, and they soundly failed to accomplish it.

If you actually have a reply for that other than blinkering yourself, I welcome it.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Everyone loves to blame Ninja Theory, despite verification from them and Capcom of what they originally drafted and was rejected by Capcom for being too much like DMC classic, for being DMC5. There's culpability all around, but people seem to gloss over Capcom to place it on NT more than anything, merely because "well, clear CAPCOM had to clean up the mess NT created" when it was Capcom that created a mess in the first place, and NT gets all the **** piled on them for doing their jobs as paid for and directed. Has there been some bad attitudes from both companies? Yes. To NT's credit, they've not probably been exposed to how rancid the DMC fandom really can be, especially since they were getting hateful death threats sent to them, and people tend not to react well to death threats over a GAME.

Look at Eva and the resulting nightmare that ended with End of Evangelion. The japanese are no better in their responses than westerners to that kind of backlash.

Itsuno? He wanted to move on, wanted to do his OWN projects(Dragon's Dogma) instead of still holding the reins that Kamiya left behind, and he was sent instead to go supervise to make sure NT followed the reboot directive for a series he seems to want to leave behind. Consider as well that most of the teams from previous DMCs have left Capcom, and you realize that Capcom had to reboot one way or another. This was inevitable. Was was DMC5 really gonn'a do? Follow Nero and create even more questions while giving no answers at all yet again? Follow Dante in Hell following DMC2, which Capcom seemed adament about avoidng because DMC2 wasn't that popular? More of the same, rehashing DMC4 just as it rehashed DMC3? That's going down the road of the very FPS games that are killing the market; just rehash with a new coat of paint, no one will notice that it's the exact same game.

NT was given an objective, yes; reimagine DMC with a more western take on the story and design to give it a fresh revival, to not rehash the same thing that Capcom was going to do. Based on Capcom's satisfaction with Nt's work alone, they DID fulfill that objective. Capcom's job then was to market and garner a viable new audience to be interested, but in their desire to market a new audience, their own marketing stradegy of "stir up controversy" backfired...that was CAPCOM'S decision, and it not only alienated a vocal group of the old fans, it also cause such a bile and hate athat any new audience was put off by the vile and flaming rage from the opposed fanbase from even looking at the game.

so..yeah, assign blame were it should lie. Nt had a job, they did it. Capcom had their own...they f**ked more than anything. They decide dto **** off the old fanbase for controvery to stir up interest. It backfired.

Dante47

On what planet does he live on where PC sales are insignificant?
None. PC sales are very viable.
Also, it's just as easy to pirate games on console as it is on PC.
Hitman: Absolution was only available to pirate on Xbox 360 about a month before launch.

FuN Batman

I don't even "hate" the game. I mean, I would go back to the OG series in a heart beat given the option and was rather disappointed with what we got, but I've never once done the whole "DmC IS ****! IT RUINED THE FRANCHISE!!!!"

Anyone who is complaining about the individuals saying that NT ruined the game, I urge you to stop and think about this for a second. These may sound like dooms day nuck futs to you, but in a sense they're probably right.

The game has to stand on it's own merits eventually. If Ninja Theory wants to alienate the fanbase, ignore criticism, dumb the game down for a different audience and in the process LOSE the original fanbase, then I ask you, whose fault is this when the game fails? The game must stand on it's own merits.

If you betray your demographic for a different audience and they flop on you, you only have yourself to blame.

SSSensational.gif

Btw this is my new favorite thing on the internet.

Not only does this gif describe perfectly whats wrong with the game, but you can even tell how Dante has been (not to be prejudice) sissified to seem extra gay and hip! "SENSATIONAL!" Compared to "Smokin' sick style!" They should have named it, "Sassy Sauce Sensational!" with extra slurs. Or how about "SPAM SPAM SPAM!"

Do you even realize how much effort it took to get triple S on the previous games? Sometimes I wonder if all the DmC fans even played the old games and aren't just the newfags in town.

Domenic93

Ninja theory just managed to get rid of Tameem, then I would have no problem with them as a whole. or they could do what the team for L.A. Niore did, I'm not sure the details but I think I remember them liquidating the studio got rid of the horrible guy in charge and reformed. I think that's what I heard happened if they could

ZeroLove

Anyone who is complaining about the individuals saying that NT ruined the game, I urge you to stop and think about this for a second. These may sound like dooms day nuck futs to you, but in a sense they're probably right.

The game has to stand on it's own merits eventually. If Ninja Theory wants to alienate the fanbase, ignore criticism, dumb the game down for a different audience and in the process LOSE the original fanbase, then I ask you, whose fault is this when the game fails? The game must stand on it's own merits.

If you betray your demographic for a different audience and they flop on you, you only have yourself to blame.

SSSensational.gif

Btw this is my new favorite thing on the internet. Not only does it describe perfectly whats wrong with the game, but you can even tell how Dante has been (not to be prejudice) sissified to seem extra gay and hip! "SENSATIONAL!" Compared to "Smokin' sick style!" Do you even realize how much effort it took to get triple S on the previous games? Sometimes I wonder if all the DmC fans even played the old games and aren't just the newfags in town.

I've been a fan of Devil May Cry since day one. Since the first game. Since the day I got it for my PS2. So I wouldn't call myself a newfag... I wouldn't call anyone a newfag, because that term is f*cking disgusting and judgemental. I'm old school, I call people noobs or even newbies if anything.

Saying the new Dante has been sissified to seem extra gay... Well, have you seen how guys look like today?

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/men-what-the-****-happened.jpg​
Put Dante in the crowd of guys to the right and he would look like the manliest man of them all. This is how guys look like today! It is this or those dressing gangsta with their pants down to their knees, looking like total douchebags.​
SCUMBAG%20STEVE.jpg
Dante isn't sissified to seem gay... He has been moderately made into a modern man.​

Top Bottom