• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC 5- will they bring back Nero?

Dantenevercries

do you think Nero will appear in DMC 5..

- he will appear, but Dante will remains sole main character (Nero will become a supporting character)

- DMC 5 will solely Nero

- 50/50 split or some type of split again between Nero and Dante

- No Nero apperance

other

what do you think?

Khundy

Berserker
The first one, either Dante, or Vergil as the main. Otherwise they better be ready for the backlash. But if anything, I hope they bring on a **** load of new moves.

Reigndown

Probably the first one, but maybe the third as well? Playing as Vergil would be pretty cool though.
(I'm wondering if they'll introduce a new character :s)

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I suppose it depends on Nero's popularity as well as what kind of story they're going for.

I don't mind Nero coming back, but for the love of God please keep Kyrie away from DMC5!

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I'd say it's going to be a 50/50 split again or 60/40 split for Dante. The reason why I think that is because Nero is supposed to eventually replace Dante. I'm pretty sure that's always been the plan: to introduce a new protagonist that everyone can get behind, for him to continue Sparda's legacy, and to basically be his second coming.
So I would assume they're going to try to make Nero more likable to the mainstream gamer audience, by making him more badass and less emotional (or possibly more emotional like DMC3 Dante). Maybe more like Vergil, considering he has always been a popular character, but they can't really bring Vergil back considering he's most likely dead. So they might incorporate Vergil into Nero, or simply try to make Nero his own character. It's going to take some time for people to warm up to him again, hence the 60/40 or 50/50 split.

I would find it very strange if Nero were just tossed aside, especially when DMC4 SE continued the Fortuna storyline (sort of). Besides, Nero was really not a bad character -- he felt sort of like DMC1 Dante combined with a little bit of DMC3 Dante and the overall seriousness of Vergil. They just need to make a more original plot, and one that they have full development time for (instead of just one year).

As for whether there'll be a DMC5 like tehrugger said... yes. I remember Kobayashi (I think) clearly saying they wanted to revisit the classic series. We don't know when - it's possible they just want to focus on making easy money with IPs and remasters they have confidence in right now. But it'll come eventually, and I hope Capcom will be more like the old Capcom then.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
The first one. Do it like with Batman Arkham Knight where Nero takes the role of Azreal and test his might to Dante to prove he could take the mantle of Devil May Cry.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
What frustrated me about Dmc4 was that Nero had a lot of potential as a character. The fact that he wasn't born wih demonic power like Dante but it awakened after becoming a demon hunter, the nature of his relationship to Dante, and more.

But no, instead most of the game is just chase after Dante or save Kyrie. *Sigh* if Nero does co e back I really hope they develop his character more.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
What frustrated me about Dmc4 was that Nero had a lot of potential as a character. The fact that he wasn't born wih demonic power like Dante but it awakened after becoming a demon hunter, the nature of his relationship to Dante, and more.

But no, instead most of the game is just chase after Dante or save Kyrie. *Sigh* if Nero does co e back I really hope they develop his character more.
I'm pretty sure he was born with demonic power, it just never truly awakened until he was 19 (?) in DMC4. Just like with Dante and Vergil, btw. Dante didn't have any fully demonic power until he got his DT in DMC3.

Sanctus clearly says he is a descendant of Sparda, and Nero has always had amazing strength: he almost always did his Order of the Sword missions alone, and fought frickin hordes of demons without getting a scratch on him. He's been a demon hunter longer than since the start of DMC4, you know. He has the blood of Sparda, like Sanctus said. And of course he does, why else would he have demonic white hair, why else would he get a demonic arm, etc etc. He's no different from Dante in my book in terms of having demonic power, he just has/had less of it since he's probably only 1/4 demonic.

Reactions: Gel

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Ah sorry sorry, I should have clarified what I meant. I know he was born with demonic power but couldn't awaken it, and yet outside of Credo accusing Nero of hiding demonic power, Nero doesn't really question why he has it. Same with being a descendant of Sparda, I know we the audience know it but Nero doesn't until told and he kinda just rolls with it.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is this: "I think Nero could have done with a better origins story than what we got, and I hope future writers don't give up on him."

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Ah sorry sorry, I should have clarified what I meant. I know he was born with demonic power but couldn't awaken it, and yet outside of Credo accusing Nero of hiding demonic power, Nero doesn't really question why he has it. Same with being a descendant of Sparda, I know we the audience know it but Nero doesn't until told and he kinda just rolls with it.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is this: "I think Nero could have done with a better origins story than what we got, and I hope future writers don't give up on him."
Oh right. Yeah, definitely, Nero is just probably the vaguest character I've ever seen, he definitely deserves a better origins story. But maybe that's the plan for DMC5... it's possible they didn't want to get into Nero's origins yet, so as to build up suspense. But even then, he's underdeveloped story-wise, yeah.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
it just never truly awakened until he was 19
Just a question: why people insist Nero is 19, when the novel confirms he is 17 and Kyrie is 18? Novel was written by the guy who did the story in first place and Nero is for sure much younger than Dante and Vergil DMC3.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Just a question: why people insist Nero is 19, when the novel confirms he is 17 and Kyrie is 18? Novel was written by the guy who did the story in first place and Nero is for sure much younger than Dante and Vergil DMC3.
Oh, then he's 17. Yeah, I thought he was 17, but many people on the forum kept saying he's 19, so I just rolled with that. A lot of people just assumed he's as old as Dante and Vergil were in DMC3, and they were 19. Remember, DMC3 is set about 10 years before DMC1, and Dante is 28 in DMC1.

Gel

Premium
Oh, then he's 17. Yeah, I thought he was 17, but many people on the forum kept saying he's 19, so I just rolled with that. A lot of people just assumed he's as old as Dante and Vergil were in DMC3, which is 19.
I saw people saying he was 19, but I never saw anything saying this, that's why I asked:) The only semi canon data we have towards Nero gives him as being between 16/17 years old, not more and Dante as being in his middle thirties or above.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I saw people saying he was 19, but I never saw anything saying this, that's why I asked:) The only semi canon data we have towards Nero gives him as being between 16/17 years old, not more and Dante as being in his middle thirties or above.
Okay. But it's well-known that Dante in DMC3 is 19, and 28 in DMC1. In DMC1, Trish said he lost a mother and brother to evil twenty years ago. I believe one of the novels pretty clearly says he was eight years old when Eva died. So that makes him 28. Dante's age in DMC2 is a mystery, though -- all we know is that he's older than he is in DMC4. And DMC4 was said to be set about 10 years after DMC3, IIRC. So that might mean Dante is about 30 in DMC4... though I personally think he might be around 35/36 considering Nero is already 17 and Vergil is his father. If Vergil conceived Nero in Fortuna when he was 19, then 19 + 17 = 36.

Reactions: Gel

Gel

Premium
Okay. But it's well-known that Dante in DMC3 is 19, and 28 in DMC1. In DMC1, Trish said he lost a mother and brother to evil twenty years ago. I believe one of the novels pretty clearly says he was eight years old when Eva died. So that makes him 28. Dante's age in DMC2 is a mystery, though -- all we know is that he's older than he is in DMC4. And DMC4 was said to be set about 10 years after DMC3, IIRC. So that might mean Dante is about 30 in DMC4... though I personally think he might be around 35/36 considering Nero is already 17 and Vergil is his father. If Vergil conceived Nero in Fortuna when he was 19, then 19 + 17 = 36.
Yes, you got that right.Vergil would be between 18/19 at that time.Nero was conceived in Fortuna or was brought to Fortuna after birth, considering nobody knew of a pregnant woman there in the time Nero appeared.

Wuodan

Present Day. Present Time.
Could be anything honestly. But I don't think Nero is gonna be the new main or anything. If story recommends, we might get one or two missions with him, or get him as like a dlc character. However the game is probably going to be 50-60% Dante and 40-50% someone new(or one of the other characters). Will he appear though? Most likely or at the very least he'll get mentioned.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
If Nero does come back next game, and if Dante is still around, PLEASE.... change Kyrie's character and have her take over her brother's place!

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
@Gel i remember hearing that Nero is supposed to be the same age Dante was in DMC 3
i don't know he looks the same age as DMC3 Dante to me

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
im guessing Dante is the star while nero has a small role off in the corner, which is fine if they make him MGS4 Raiden levels of cool (or Gray Fox from MGS1, or Ocelot from MGS3 or Kaz from Peace Walker)

at this point i stopped caring about his origins so if they do deal with it, i suggest they just pick a theory, stick with it and make it convincing.

you want him to be vergil's kid or sparda's reincarnation fine but make me believe it. No sloppy work (long shot but still).

Top Bottom