• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Did you play any Devil May Cry game prior to DmC?

Did you play any Devil May Cry game prior to DmC?

• Total voters

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Yeah, played all DMC games before DmC, with DMC3 being the first one. Shortly after realizing how impressive it was when it comes to gameplay, and rather liking the characters - however cliché they might've been - and its witty writing, I played DMC1. Was less impressed by that one, as its gameplay was shallower, but I thought it must've been pretty good back in 2001. It still has the best version of Dante in terms of personality, I think, though he could've been a little bit wittier and should've had a better actor play him. That would've helped immensely.
Played DMC2 after that ('meh' is all I can say), and lastly, DMC4. Despite 4 being less typically dark or gothic, I quite liked it. I thought its style stood for how a new age would start with Nero. After all, the idea was that he was the second coming of Sparda. Nero's gameplay was slightly too shallow, but I liked it. Loved the fight with Credo - throwing his huge spears back and impaling him. Loved Dante's gameplay, but not the backtracking. DMC3 had a kind of backtracking of its own, and DMC4 made it even worse. I guess you could say that DMC4 took most of the things from DMC3 and enhanced them, including the bad things. I sort of liked DMC4 Dante, as he was like a more mellow version of his DMC3 self. That said, he seemed invincible, and the getup didn't do much for me.

Played them in the HD Collection again too. I'm really hoping they'll find a good way to finish the series. Even though I liked it, DMC4 can be retconned or even pronounced non-canon for all I care.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
i saw a commercial for DMC 4 were it was new
and said hey "that looks cool"
wound up buying it and it blew me away
i eventually ended up getting 1 2 and 3 awhile later
and really enjoyed them all even tho i can tell why 2 is considered the worst

ended up vowing to beat them all on DMD and it was one of the most satisfying game experiences i'v had

got the HD collection and 4 on steam said sure all do it all again

GF9000000Returns

Yes, I played all of them, if I didn't I would've welcomed DmC with full arms in first sight. Anway, here's my order from best to worse. DMC3>DmC>DMC1>DMC2>DMC4

Now the reason why I now think DMC2 is better than DMC4 is because it had more content, Dante's design in the game was badass while the DMC4 Dante one looked worse them those cowboys in BB, and it had better DT attacks and better looking abilities IMO then DMC4. The problem about them was that they weren't executed right. The DMC4 Dante only has a couple of good moves IMO, and that's the DT Stinger and the Berial weapon scatter(I assume yall know what attack I'm talking about). The only thing DMC2&4 have in common were the crappy stories.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Played them all, though in wrong order. Started with DMC2, than went DMC3, DMC1 and DMC4. Though truth to be told it was for the best for me, since it helped me not to hate DMC2 for not being proper sequel and just enjoy it for what it is.

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
Oh? Are you fairly new to gaming or is it one of those things where you'd just happen to never having seen it before.

Both. I was new to gaming, not new to the gaming world.

Truth be told, I wouldn't even know about DmC if I didn't stumble upon a post on Tumblr that made me go "oh, that guy looks good". ;-)

... She's never seen fire before, either. Thank God we're here to show her the ropes.

What?

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I played DMC for the first time on the demo disc that came with CVX, sadly I don't have it any more cause the disc broke along with the CVX disc when it was accidentally stepped on, but after that I played the full game when it came out, played about 30 minutes of DMC2 before giving up, played the uber hard original PS2 version of DMC3 and then DMC4.

Rented DmC.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I didn't know you were actually new to gaming itself. I had thought that asking you that sort of question was being too... well, patronizing and presumptuous, to be honest.

If I had asked any other girl that same question, do you know what the response would have probably been?

"So, just because I'm a woman, that automatically means that I don't know anything about games or that I'm new to gaming?"

I didn't want to step on that landmine, so I thought that it was because of the fact that the DMC franchise was so niche was the reason that you've never heard of it before.

A lot of people have never heard of it because it isn't as "famous" as God of War or Castlevania. So, asking you if you were new to gaming itself would've been kind of... offensive, had it been literally anyone else besides you.

------------------------------------------------

So, that "fire" quip of mine... was sarcasm.

If I went out of my way to explain the joke any further, it would lose what little humor it has left.

Last edited:

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
I didn't know you were actually new to gaming itself. I had thought that asking you that sort of question was being too... well, patronizing and presumptuous, to be honest.

If I had asked any other girl that same question, do you know what the response would have probably been?

"So, just because I'm a woman, that automatically means that I don't know anything about games or that I'm new to gaming?"

Ah, relax. You were right on that one. The whole gaming thing took me by surprise anyway. I'd watch gameplay videos on YouTube, but I only purchased a PS3 because I had some vacation money left. Bought Uncharted 2 and DmC for it and fell madly in love, then it all just went... downhill lol.

I'm not really one of those 'I'm a gamer GIRL notice me!!' girls but I do get ticked off when people suggest I buy Cooking Mama. But most of my anger comes from when people call video games any less than movies, tbh. For me, they're better than any movie (mostly).

Don't explain the fire thing, I'll just stay here being oblivious, it's one of the few things I'm good at.

Anyway. Where were we? Yeah, so no, I didn't know the Devil May Cry franchise. I didn't even know I was into these kinds of action games. Now this genre has completely ruined me for any stealth game.

Redxplatinum

My sister bought my first DMC game (DMC3) for the PS2 back then on 2006. The game was too hard and I couldn't even beat the boss at mission 2, and stopped playing for a while. Later, my brother bought DMC4 for the ps3 and it was apparently too hard for him. DMC franchise became relevant to me and I've picked up DMC3 again. Made it to Agni&Rudra and wanted to rage again, but I played it through.

After DMC3, I played DMC1, DMC2, and before I started DMC4.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Hey guys, I'd like to thank you all for contributing to the thread.
And I'd also like to remind you that I specifically asked which games in the series you enjoyed the most. Please see quote at the bottom of my post, AGAIN, thanks.

No comparisons. No, 'this is better than that'.
So, in simple terms, if you don't like DMC2 or DMC4 or DmC, LEAVE IT OUT OF YOUR LIST. Don't even mention it in your post. We can read between the lines, aite?

Did you play any or all of the games in the franchise before the release of DmC?
If YES, if you like you can comment and say which ones you played and which are your favourite to date.

If NO, please do vote in the poll and if you like, you can state whether or not you have or are interested in checking out any of the other games in the franchise.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
well i really really liked 4 when it was the only one i played
but now my favorite is a tie between 1 and 3 i could say its because of the atmosphere and challenge of both of them

but in reality its probably because they both have Sparda costumes

Top Bottom