• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry Series Analysis (Video Series)

David Ryatta

So I wasn't going to post this right away, but I'm eager to get feedback from actual passionate fans...

Anyway i wrote a small essay on the early DMC games design when I was younger and have been using it as the basis for a video analysis/retrospective of the series along with DMC4 and DmC which weren't out at the time. Its rather long in all.. probably crossing 3 hours but they are split by game and can be watched standalone.

I made them because I'd previously done a similar thing for FFXIII which I wrote my dissertation on and wanted a new project.. I hope its interesting for those of you who like this kind of video.

Here's the youtube playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKYruw88aoL-kZW_GyXLAoyDqffGKe4Ks

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I thoroughly enjoyed them. I especially loved the DMC4 video, really made me think about how great the game could have been.

David Ryatta

I thoroughly enjoyed them. I especially loved the DMC4 video, really made me think about how great the game could have been.

Thanks for watching them! I've certainly learn't a lot about the Development of DMC4 along the way.. also seem a hell of a lot of ignorant hate aimed at DmC which is a particular shame as I knew a few pf the devs personally and the crap they went through professionally developing the game is horrid

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I sorta liked the DmC review. It was a balanced video.

At least you didn't take a "scorched earth" policy with it like other youtube reviewers out there have...

David Ryatta

I sorta liked the DmC review. It was a balanced video.

At least you didn't take a "scorched earth" policy with it like other youtube reviewers out there have...
I really hated the general reception to DmC.. it was the first game review I did well over 3 years ago just to try and offer an alternative opinion on the game

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I really hated the general reception to DmC.. it was the first game review I did well over 3 years ago just to try and offer an alternative opinion on the game
This is kinda going off topic but DmC got me back into the franchise after DMC4 killed my interest. Ironically DmC even spurred my hopes for DMC5 since it showed me that there was still a lot of interesting stuff you could do with the lore of both continuities if Capcom simply put the effort in. I still have hope that both series can get sequels.

But I digress...

David Ryatta

Same. And I'm glad you kept the pros and cons of the game in check. That's important for any critic, no matter what their tastes are.

As I've worked in the industry for a few years I kinda have a different viewpoint towards games development, though I don't reference it in my videos.. I always see good ideas as well as bad get added and removed quite frequently, I think it just makes me usually more accepting of flaws and very understanding of devs in general when they are getting hate for decisions that fans don't agree with.. I'm still going to point flaws out but I don't want to obsess over them like one bad decision defines a game

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@David Ryatta
I saw your vids last night, they are pretty good.

I was suprised by a few things you said. You have a pretty balanced view of the game play and story elements.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Thank you for watching them.. I'd love to know what surprised you :)
I was suprised when you compared Arius to Heihachi.

The idea of a Lucia only version of DMC2 is interesting. I'd still have Dante/Nero/Trish there but Lucia would probably have the lion's share of the game.

I think the problem with DmC is that it is a noncanon spinoff that doesn't really connect to the main series which I think fans were always gonna be against that.

EDIT- The marketing could have been different. They could have pushed the debut till the next year (captivate 11 or tgs11). It would have been better had they included a connection to classic Dante that would have indicated tgs 10 dante would have grown into classic dante. Even if it's a small flash forward.

Last edited:

David Ryatta

I was suprised when you compared Arius to Heihachi.

The idea of a Lucia only version of DMC2 is interesting. I'd still have Dante/Nero/Trish there but Lucia would probably have the lion's share of the game.

I think the problem with DmC is that it is a noncanon spinoff that doesn't really connect to the main series which I think fans were always gonna be against that.

EDIT- The marketing could have been different. They could have pushed the debut till the next year (captivate 11 or tgs11). It would have been better had they included a connection to classic Dante that would have indicated tgs 10 dante would have grown into classic dante. Even if it's a small flash forward.

The design for Arius was just so un original and token crazy Japanese business man that is used so often I kinda had to make a discount Mishima joke.. though maybe he's closer to Kazuma.

I doubt if DMC2 was a Lucia only game it would have had a sequel.. the game is pretty low quality on the gameplay, an interesting character has never guaranteed a sequel.. I guess I just never saw the game as a Dante game...

As for DMC they coudl have tied the game into the main series or at least tied them into the original characters we know and love.. but as DMC3 had already done that I think Capcom just wanted a clean break.. though I expect Ninja Thoery loved not having to worry too much about cannon when it came to writing the plot

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The design for Arius was just so un original and token crazy Japanese business man that is used so often I kinda had to make a discount Mishima joke.. though maybe he's closer to Kazuma.

I doubt if DMC2 was a Lucia only game it would have had a sequel.. the game is pretty low quality on the gameplay, an interesting character has never guaranteed a sequel.. I guess I just never saw the game as a Dante game...

As for DMC they coudl have tied the game into the main series or at least tied them into the original characters we know and love.. but as DMC3 had already done that I think Capcom just wanted a clean break.. though I expect Ninja Thoery loved not having to worry too much about cannon when it came to writing the plot
Ok, I never made that connection before but they have the same wingtips hairstyle....:sneaky:.

I meant it more as if they did a DMC2 remake now, i'd probably give Lucia the lion share of the story since she's the new face of the game versus Nero/Trish or Dante who already are established.

It might have been easier just to do a new IP then and not worry about the connection to DMC. I'm not trying to be mean, I just mean they could have tried to find a better middle ground between the reboot and the original stuff.

Tbf fans were mad because without the tease at the end you didn't know tgs 10 Dante was even really Dante.

Last edited:

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Really pleased to see you put these out, man. I've bookmarked part one and will definitely be checking it out over the weekend. I'll get subbed up to your channel, too.

Any chance of a Resident Evil analytical series in the pipeline?

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4

Capcom told them to go with a clean slate. They thought they'd be working on a DMC5.

trickSTAR

Devil May Sexy
This is kinda going off topic but DmC got me back into the franchise after DMC4 killed my interest. Ironically DmC even spurred my hopes for DMC5 since it showed me that there was still a lot of interesting stuff you could do with the lore of both continuities if Capcom simply put the effort in. I still have hope that both series can get sequels.

But I digress...
Same.

DMC3 was so good and then DMC4 happened. I tried to like it, but the levels were crap and then they recycled them for Dante's half of the game. I bought DMC4SE to finally play as Trish/Gloria and Lady, but as I played I would rather have had them added to DmC instead...

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I disagree with @David Ryatta in the DMC4 video when he said that a love story isn't really something that fits DMC.

To me DMC was built on a love story so exploring that isn't such a bad idea. I just think the one they really choose to explore didn't fit the series.

Top Bottom