• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 5 aims to appeal to Western audiences

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Ugh, I hate that "appeal to western audience" marketing crap just as much as the "we're committed to diversity and inclusion" bull****.

It's always a red flag for me when a Japanese company says they want to appeal to the western audience and it's FAR more concerning when they say they are looking to Marvel movies for inspiration cause the western side of entertainment has been a clusterf**k of garbage and Marvel is going down hill fast.

But at least Capcom aren't going for Dead or Alive 6 method of f**king up the franchise for western appeal based on the direction that western comics are going.
I guess nobody told them the state of the western comic book industry.

Last edited by a moderator:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Tbh DMC3/4 leans towards the Marvel film tone so its not that big of a stretch to me.

I don't mind them trying to appeal to a western audience as that's just good business strategy. Ironically DmC was more controversial amongst western fans so its best they play to their strengths.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
But at least Capcom aren't going for Dead or Alive 6 method of f**king up the franchise for western appeal based on the direction that western comics are going.
Dude all DOA6 did was focus more on gameplay and less on fanservice. So boobs don't bounce anymore big deal.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
DMC's problems with the west are more gameplay than story to me. They should have figured out why "character action games" don't sell in the west.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Dude all DOA6 did was focus more on gameplay and less on fanservice. So boobs don't bounce anymore big deal.
No one plays DOA for the gameplay, the only reason it has a fanbase is because of it's fan service, it's like Mortal Kombat ditching the violence and fatalities in order to "focus on gameplay".
Besides the lead developer himself admitted the removal of fan service was due to western movies/comic books and the SJW/feminist pandemic in the west.
Seriously look it up, he spouted all kinds of bulls**t excuses including pretty much stating that big breasted women aren't human.
Anyone with a shred of a brain can tell DOA6 is being butchered to appease the SJW crowd and trying to get into Esports.

The backlash from the fanbase appears to have done some damage though cause they're desperately throwing jiggle physics back in to the game, giving Kasumi back her signature outfit and what not, but the game is still screwed cause most people have abandoned it for Soul Caliber 6, myself included.

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
No one plays DOA for the gameplay, the only reason it has a fanbase is because of it's fan service, it's like Mortal Kombat ditching the violence and fatalities in order to "focus on gameplay".

As somebody who played DOA4 competitively for a year, I can say the series has very good mechanics. It's robust triangle system that allowed for excellent countering that really hadn't been done before, and still hasn't been properly replicated since. The fan service thing though is undeniable from a marketing perspective, even back in the DOA2 days it was very much the biggest focus of the game.

Funnily enough, they said the exact same thing about DOA5, so I don't take this very seriously at all. Watch, 2 seasons of DLC in and they'll be right back where they were. I'd bet money on it.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I may missing something, but he talks about photorealism again
>The team sees Hollywood movies like “The Avengers” as rivals and seek inspiration from them and their CGI direction for their own “photo realistic graphics”.

DragonMaster2010

Besides the lead developer himself admitted the removal of fan service was due to western movies/comic books and the SJW/feminist pandemic in the west.
Seriously look it up, he spouted all kinds of bulls**t excuses including pretty much stating that big breasted women aren't human.
Anyone with a shred of a brain can tell DOA6 is being butchered to appease the SJW crowd and trying to get into Esports.

The backlash from the fanbase appears to have done some damage though cause they're desperately throwing jiggle physics back in to the game, giving Kasumi back her signature outfit and what not, but the game is still screwed cause most people have abandoned it for Soul Caliber 6, myself included.
Dude there are competitive tournaments that have people literally learn the deep mechanics of each DOA character. The hell do you mean no one plays it for gameplay??
Some of you gamers are so whiny when you don't get your jiggly boobs in games and then blame Sjws for taking it away as if most of you aren't as bad if not worse then them. It's different from Mortal Kombat because the gore and fatalities are part of the gameplay and mechanics. DOA with its jiggle physics is all for cosmetics sake. You want big boobs, play the DOA xtreme series.
If taking away some fanservice equals better gameplay, better graphics, adding to the mechanics, and having a better story mode (if that IS the case) then I don't miss it. Better games over jiggly frames.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Shouldn't this be in the DMCV section?

DMCV seems to be what they should have done with DmC (and 4/anime) so lets hope they learn from past mistakes when 5 launches.

re: doa6 shouldn't that be for another thread?

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
This is nothing new. Capcom, what your saying is water is wet. DMC was always about appealing to the West; DmC (2013) was at it's worst. What went wrong was trying to cater to the Western, story heavy, market. Barring 2, DmC has the worst, pretentious, up its own ass, story. As much as "professional" critics and nay-sayers said "Devil May Cry never had a good story or was too silly", they were full of ****. DMC3 had the best story and added context to the first game. The story in all the classic games aren't perfect, but they never acted like they were doing something new or making the next best thing.

DragonMaster2010

This is nothing new. Capcom, what your saying is water is wet. DMC was always about appealing to the West; DmC (2013) was at it's worst. What went wrong was trying to cater to the Western, story heavy, market. Barring 2, DmC has the worst, pretentious, up its own ass, story. As much as "professional" critics and nay-sayers said "Devil May Cry never had a good story or was too silly", they were full of ****. DMC3 had the best story and added context to the first game. The story in all the classic games aren't perfect, but they never acted like they were doing something new or making the next best thing.

DMC3's story was one of the most bareboned of the DMC series. It was the small gleams of character development from Dante and Lady, along with the gameplay being solid and Vergil being a badass, that kept it being a Playstation classic. The only Devil May Cry that had a fraction of depth to it was DMC4 and that wasn't by a lot. DmC may be pretentious but at least it did better to set up its narrative, world, characters, and story then the original series did, solely because it only has one game and one clear plot, rather then changing hands every entry and mucking up canon.
Also, there's nothing wrong with doing something new. Devil May Cry needed something new. That was why DMC3 happened. That was why Nero was the protagonist of DMC4. Hell, that's why DMC5 is even a thing. Doing something new is a lot better then continuously following status quo.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@BrawlMan DMC2's story was pretentious?
@DragonMaster2010 nahh 3 was better than 4. It had a better handle on family conflict than 4's stab at romance. Nero was too defined by kyrie and his other traits felt random or poorly handled to be convincing.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
DMC3's story was one of the most bareboned of the DMC series. It was the small gleams of character development from Dante and Lady, along with the gameplay being solid and Vergil being a badass, that kept it being a Playstation classic. The only Devil May Cry that had a fraction of depth to it was DMC4 and that wasn't by a lot. DmC may be pretentious but at least it did better to set up its narrative, world, characters, and story then the original series did, solely because it only has one game and one clear plot, rather then changing hands every entry and mucking up canon.
Also, there's nothing wrong with doing something new. Devil May Cry needed something new. That was why DMC3 happened. That was why Nero was the protagonist of DMC4. Hell, that's why DMC5 is even a thing. Doing something new is a lot better then continuously following status quo.

Doing something new for the sake of it, will not always lead to the best results. It can make things worse,. In fact, Ninja Theory wasn't doing much new. The only thing going for them were aesthetics, level design (especially comapred to 4), the weapon switching. You had a story that was just a weak retread/combination of DMC's 1-4. Dante and Vergil was the retread of DMC 1 & 3, Mundus was combination of himself and Arius (evil demon in business suit with a demonic corporate tower), and DmC!Dante was an expy of Nero. The grappling and pulling to demons. When you get down to it, DmC played like a lesser/streamlined version of 4. Dante felt more like a tool, then a fleshed out character, even if his development is weak. Vergil did not feel like a proper rival and I felt he was just thrown in the game at the last minute. Kat I do like, but I prefer Lady, Trish, and Lucia over her. She was more useful than Kyrie, so I'll give her that.

EDIT: The problem with DmC and other games of the 7th generation was that you had companies reboot franchises or sequels left and right, to make them "dark", "edgy", or grim and gritty to be seen as adult and mature. Bionic Commando, Dead to Rights, Syndicate, Turok, and freaking Bomberman! Either made for mass market or Western appeal. And don't even get me started on Koei-Tecmo's fiasco with Ninja Gaiden 3 or Yaiba. All of them either had crappy story, dialogue character, gameplay, or all of the above. Now, there were some good reboots like Shadow Warrior (though I did not care much for it), Wolfenstein: The New Order (the 2009 version was just alright), Rayman Origins and Doom. The last one is cheating, but it further proves my point that you need more than just gore, swearing, or tits to make a good game.

I heavily disagree with your opinion on DMC3. The story gets insight on both Dante and Lady as characters and you see a swift and subtle change as both rise to the tower. In fact, Lady is the most developed female character out of any of the women in the entire franchise. You find out why Dante and Vergil are on opposite sides with dialouge and what is being shown. Arkham was more interesting and likeable villain than Sanctus, Arius, and DmC!Mundus. Not mention the demon bosses were all for more interesting than what DmC was doing. Now, not all the bosses I liked: hated Arkham's fight on DMD, Cerberus can get annoying sometimes, and I never cared much for Greyon. With that said, I find them more interesting than the Hunter, Lilith, or DmC!Mundus. Looking back, most people see DmC as an uneeeded attempt to fix a problem that wasn't there. Had the game been called something else or a proper spin-off with giving all of the characters different names, the game might have fared better. Which is ironic, because that's what the original Devil May Cry was. DMC was going to be RE4, but they changed it, due to straying too far and not being scary enough. HA HA! Irony! Why Capcom could not do that again has already been answered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom