• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 4-Plot hole?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Well that's hardly a plothole actually,it could be assumed that dante has full control over rebellion and also nero doesn't seem to really understand the nature of his arm very well either so its not possible for him to use that technique for his advantage.
Rebellion without Dante is basically Force Edge without the completed amulet.
And yeah this basically... i still remember being genuinely baffled by the fact that i always had force edge as a default sword and yet it sucked so much.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Well that's hardly a plothole actually,it could be assumed that dante has full control over rebellion and also nero doesn't seem to really understand the nature of his arm very well either so its not possible for him to use that technique for his advantage.And yeah this basically... i still remember being genuinely baffled by the fact that i always had force edge as a default sword and yet it sucked so much.

Even after you awakened it its Sparda form it still sucked a$$.......well compared to Alastor that is. It was only useful for one boss fight.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Even after you awakened it its Sparda form it still sucked a$$.......well compared to Alastor that is. It was only useful for one boss fight.
At least it looked cool and did moderate damage.. force edge was pretty much useless and i really hate useless weapons in video games.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Wow! topic with a headline like that has no useless arguing and pointless bashing, but just people helping out and discussing . My Lord, happy to see this.

Sorry for off-topic. Couldn't contain my happiness. :D
Keep going, guys. Me out.

lol thanks just a idea that came to me

ohhhh okay well that makes sense
the sword is demonic its a,devil arm but it doesnt have any special demonic powers or things it does and its only powerful in the hands of dante as its bonded to him yes without dante its still a devil arm but its the same as a,regular sword as it wont do anything fro the wielder and wont lend them its power or channel its power for them

well i guess thats that and here i figured there would be a scene where dante gave rebellion to nero and he absorbed rebellions powers lol

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
nope afraid not buddy nero has yamato anyway so any devil arms he picks up in a possible other game wont be as strong so he will get access to there special abilities but they won‘t make him stronger .

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I've just been skimmin' through here, but one thing to point out is that Devil Arms are like a weapon form of a demon's soul, and in the series we see that the best way you can get a Devil Arm seems to be from it choosing you, because it's just another, baser form of the soul. Alastor choose Dante because he withstood impalement, while Ifrit chose Dante because he withstood its fire, and in DMC3 we see that (sans Beowulf) the demons acknowledge Dante's capabilities and relinquish their souls to him in the form of Devil Arms.

I can imagine Rebellion being no different, and Stylish Nero mentioned a bond which I think is important to what I'm sayin' too - the Devil Arms Dante has acquired during his exploits have been mostly given as some sort of prize specifically to him.

The idea here is that they only work for Dante, because they chose Dante, so the bond can't be broken, and Nero can't absorb Rebellion.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

That sig though.
tom-baker-creepy-smile.gif

seraphmaycry

two explanations i can think of for nero not getting devil arms the first follows the idea that devil arms CHOOSE their masters, if that's correct then yeah, they didn't like nero.
another possibility is simply that nero did not take them, they were being used to power the hellgates and nero probs didn't know that, so he didn't take them because he didn't think there was anything there

as for why nero didn't get rebbelion, it seems dante simply didn't let him, the sword is clearly a regular one with some dante-only magic and links so dante could just have decided for it not to be absorbed.

also, a interesting thing i noticed is that even though it dosn't seem like nero didn't get anything from sanctus, it's pretty likely he did, considering nero DID get to have his arm way bigger then usual, unless he could crush buildings with ease from the start.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Nero didn't get any Devil Arms by virtue of not having killed any of the bosses that came out of the Hell Gates. He got a few powers by absorbing something from them, but no Devil Arms. Even Dante didn't get Devil Arms from the bosses, and instead got them from the Hell Gates themselves - since those things are powered by Devil Arms. Dante got the batteries.

DMC

Devil May Cry
So your saying nero wasnt able to subdue them? but he beat them..ALL of them lol berial he embaressed so he ran echidna ran and he beat the frog which gave him nothing so your saying because they didnt accept him as there master he didnt get the DA'S well thats bull what did they want him to do wear a crown while he kicked there assess
They ran becuase... they didnt want to be killed by a human... since humans in the demon eye are weak for them

Railazel

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions here but I'll start off by saying that, yes, Nero could have very well absorbed Rebellion like has with any other demonic object but he can't as long as Dante is still around. I'll explain that later but first let me clear some stuff up.

the only reason he absorbed yamato is because of his connection to vergil i dnt believe he can absorb rebellion and if he could it might change nothing except his moveset

While it is true that he was able to absorb Yamato because of his connection to Vergil, we're not exactly sure why it happened. Nero's absorption ability generally happens through touch but his absorption of Yamato was seemingly triggered by his emotional state. Even more so, his connection to Vergil is through blood but so is his connection to Dante. If blood is the basis of why Yamato reacted to him, then Rebellion should have had a reaction to him as well just not as strong. I should also note that Yamato didn't react to Nero's existence at all until the point of his close call with death.

Rebellion isn't really as demonic as the other things

Actually, it's pretty dang demonic considering it needed a blood sacrifice from its own master to unleash its full power.

its linked to Dante (which is why Dante can call it back and it comes to him). Even Nero tried I doubt he can absorbed Rebellion due to Rebellion not accepting Nero as his master.

Rebellion doesn't really have a choice of who its master is. It's an embodiment of who Dante is, a physical manifestation of his soul and persona.

You can see this in its design changes in DMC 2 and DMC 3/4 as the blade becomes simpler in design as Dante matures.

Yamato is the same way. Since Vergil is a man who embraced darkness, Yamato is a blade forged in darkness. When Vergil was corrupted, it became large and bulky representing the change in Vergil's soul and body. So it is clear that Yamato is just as intimately tied to Vergil as Rebellion was to Dante.

if your theory was possible then dante would have a different dt when using yamato but he doesnt as it was made for vergil

That's actually not true. In DMC 4, Dante's DT never changed at all, so no weapon at the time could have affected his DT. However, in DMC 3, It could be very well possible that Dante's DT would have changed if he held Yamato but that's just speculating.

Same thing would go for Vergil.

Anyone with enough strength or demonic energy can use Rebellion but there are other uses or bonds that must be achieved to use Rebellion's full power such as Devil Trigger. I doubt Dante can devil trigger with Vergil's Yamato (considering he wielded it in DMC4) or that Vergil can devil trigger with Rebellion (same goes for Nero).

You have to remember that Sparda had both blades first before giving it to Dante and Vergil, so the two weapons, while intimately linked to their respective twin, aren't necessarily meant for just Dante or Vergil. Rather Dante could wield Yamato with as much skill as Vergil and Vergil could wield Rebellion just as well as Dante does with both being able to have DTs for those weapons.

That's true but not completely. When Rebellion's power was activated, it remained so regardless of who was wielding it.
in the series we see that the best way you can get a Devil Arm seems to be from it choosing you, because it's just another, baser form of the soul. Alastor choose Dante because he withstood impalement, while Ifrit chose Dante because he withstood its fire, and in DMC3 we see that (sans Beowulf) the demons acknowledge Dante's capabilities and relinquish their souls to him in the form of Devil Arms.

I can imagine Rebellion being no different, and Stylish Nero mentioned a bond which I think is important to what I'm sayin' too - the Devil Arms Dante has acquired during his exploits have been mostly given as some sort of prize specifically to him.

The idea here is that they only work for Dante, because they chose Dante, so the bond can't be broken, and Nero can't absorb Rebellion.

Actually, this is true for some and not true for others. While demons like Cerberus and Nevan chose Dante as their master in their weapon forms, others were forced into being his weapons. In DMC 4's case, all the weapons didn't have minds of their own (seemingly), so they were simply taken and used. In DMC 1, Alastor was trying to enslave Dante and Ifrit was simply trying to burn him alive. Dante just fought back and took control rather than them willingly giving it to him. Beowulf also had no say in his master. When Vergil killed him, his soul just went straight to Vergil.

Now, with all that said, I can conclude by saying that the reason why Nero could absorb Rebellion is because of the simple fact that it is a Devil Arm and that the only reason why it would be an exception is that Dante is still alive. From what I can tell, Nero trying to take Rebellion would be like a person trying to go up to a lady and steal her purse by just grabbing it.

Top Bottom